View Full Version : New Boots - Advice

momsk8er
01-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Ok, I probably need to break down and buy new boots. I'm in Riedel silver stars now, and they are getting broken down. I don't think I'll go for another Riedel, as the boot is too tight across the instep and too loose in the heels. My heel is now lifting up when I jump. I had the heels crimped in once, and it helped for a while. I probably can't try on every boot there is, so is there anywhere a discription of what the last is like for each of the different manufacturers?

Also, I would like to avoid buying a new pair every 2-3 years if possible, and I need support, as I am not light. I'm working on loop, flip and lutz. I will proabably keep my professional blades.

I know a good fitter, and will go see him, but what resources are there out there to make me more of an educated customer?

Thanks!

skaternum
01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
The best resource is right here. Do a search and read through all the threads started by someone asking, "What is the best boot?" or "What kind of boots should I get?" There's loads of info from the collective experience on this board.

FlyAndCrash
01-18-2008, 04:13 PM
If you want to keep the same blades, you will probably have to stay with a riedell. However, you could try getting a different width or a split width. I know one girl who got AAA heels on her skates with A balls on her skates.

Mrs Redboots
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
If you want to keep the same blades, you will probably have to stay with a riedell.
That isn't necessarily true, unless she needs much smaller skates, as often happens on one's second pair (we learn how they ought to fit, or go to a professional fitter for the second pair!). If they were properly fitted the first time, even a different brand of boot will probably be the same approximate size, and there is often up to 1/2" tolerance in blade sizes for any given boot.

sk8tmum
01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Riedell will do a semi-custom fit for not a lot of charge, and pretty quickly, if it's needed; we looked into that for DS until we just gave in and went custom 'cause he's got weird feet (think of a crescent shape :roll: ); we're probably going to do it for DD later this year (wide forefoot, narrow skinny heel, very long feet). Our bootfitter, who is excellent and very well-respected, has a lot of faith in Riedell's ability to do this, and he's had great customer service from the manufacturer. If you check the website, you'll see the range of variation available in widths. Also, I see that they've got a new heel lock in their new skates - ? that might help, maybe?

Way back when, I got in the habit of reading the manufacturer's website. I looked at the recommendations, the options, and the suggested price :D so that I became more educated about product lines. This was back before we found someone who we could rest comfortably with; however, we did earn a lot of respect from him when he found that we had done our research and could understand what he was referring to, as it made the process more efficient.

and, yes, this forum is great for real life info on boots!

doubletoe
01-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Actually, Riedell is known for making boots that are narrower in the heel than many others. But it sounds like you still need to get a mixed width boot so the heel is narrow enough for you. Most boot makers offer mixed width boots as an optional feature for just a small extra cost. Go to a really good fitter and get measured in the length, forefoot and heel to see if you should get a combination width.

techskater
01-19-2008, 05:12 AM
There's all the "custom fit" option now from Reidell which is more than 2 widths for people requiring that option.

Of course, this all assumes you liked the comfort of your Reidells. Me? I'd rather put my feet in a vice than wear them. LOL!

flippet
01-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Actually, Riedell is known for making boots that are narrower in the heel than many others.

That hasn't been my experience, but perhaps I wasn't fitted as narrow as I needed to go. At any rate, the biggest problem I had with the heels in my Riedells (three pairs) is that over time, the padding compresses, so they get 'sloppy' and feel larger than they were originally.

My SPTeri Super Deluxes fit my narrow heel like a *dream*. I've never been happier about the heel fit. (However, I think I probably need a split width, as the ball/instep area is painfully snug, but it wasn't apparent at the time I purchased them---plus, they were overstock and *very* cheap, so I wasn't inclined to pay four times the cost for a custom order--also, I think with pregnancy my feet widened just a titch, turning a nuisance into a problem.) I believe my skates are AA the whole length, and I really ought to have just the heel AA, and the ball A, or maybe even B.

My SPTeris are little concrete blocks, but I love them that way. And like I said, even though they're super-stiff, my heels have never felt better, so with the proper fitting, even a stiff boot can be really comfortable.

SkatingOnClouds
01-20-2008, 01:38 AM
--also, I think with pregnancy my feet widened just a titch, turning a nuisance into a problem.)

Yup, preganancy will do that.

Sessy
01-20-2008, 03:55 AM
True about the second pair being smaller. But, my Graf third pair was actually a half (or a whole? I keep forgetting) size up from my Risport second pair (into which I still fit only with thick sport socks!), making it the same size as the ProStar first pair was again. So there's great differences in sizing between brands too!

I did keep my coronation ace btw, switching from Risport to Graf. They were juuuust large enough for the Graf. So it's not necessarily a problem to switch brands.

My SPTeri Super Deluxes fit my narrow heel like a *dream*. I've never been happier about the heel fit. (However, I think I probably need a split width, as the ball/instep area is painfully snug, but it wasn't apparent at the time I purchased them---

Same problem here with the graf's, due to bone spurs on my toes which I got while wearing risport Etoiles. They were growing exponentially and I decided that wouldn't do and started experimenting around. Solution: I tie so loosely at the toes, I have little loops of laces sticking out at the toes, but somehow the boots are hard enough for me not to need to tie the laces there and still keep control. I tie it tightly everywhere else though. I also put tiny little gel cushions on the bumps.
It kind of took some getting used to at first, but now I think being able to move my toes around completely freely adds to the control. For example, an outside edge is cleaner if I feel my little toes but lift my big toe, inside edges are cleaner if I lift my little toe. For a forward biellmann spiral, I know I'm dangerously close to going down bellyflopping if I find my toes curling down in the shoe - relaxing them and pulling them up solves the imbalance.
It also solved something else I'd been struggling with: cramp! I completely forgot that ever bothered me until I put the Risports back on (being mounted with rollers), and promptly got cramp again after a half an hour. Apparently that's from not being able to move the toes.