View Full Version : skates for coaching

kayskate
01-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I have never had foot probs. However, now that I teach 5 days/wk + my own skating, I am developing very painful abrasions. I have been to the podiatrist and he has found a bony growth in my toe that seems to rub in my boot. I have been wearing this type of boot for ~12 yrs. Never a prob until now.

So here is my Q. As a coach, do you wear your own training skates when you teach? I teach LtS + low FS. My boots are very stiff custom Harlicks which work great for my own training. I would not trade them. I love them. However, I wonder if I should wear something else for work. Many pros I know wear their old skates for teaching. I gave my old skates to my sis. I am considering buying a softer boot for teaching. maybe a Reidell 220. I use that model for outdoor roller and am very comfortable in them. I would use the same model blade, MK Pro.

Any suggestions?

Kay

Isk8NYC
01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I switched from ancient, too-small, Klingbeil custom freestyles (med strength) to their custom teaching boot, which had better insulation. In doing jumps and spins, I broke the skates down within two years and was having real foot pain from heel spurs. (I don't the skates caused the spurs; I think it was from high heels at work.)

Since I bought to a new pair of custom lowest-strength freestyle boots, I've been much better. Don matched my insoles to my orthotics, which has helped my foot pain tremendously.

One of the ladies I used to coach with wears a pair of Jackson stock boots for teaching and really likes them.

kayskate
01-18-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm going to throw in another Q. I use MKPro blades for my own skating. Can I get something that feels the same and is cheaper? I am comparing tech specs for MK Pro Vs. MK Double Star. Rockers are same. Radius of hollow is 7/16" vs. 1", respectively. Would this make a difference for teaching? Price difference is about $60.

Kay

Isk8NYC
01-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm not the right person to answer that since I wear Gold Seals. I tried switching to Patt 99's and hated them, so I decided to splurge on the same blades I had before the Patt 99's.

The MK Pro is supposed to be comparable to the JW Coronation Ace, but that's not saving you any money, is it?

Summerkid710
01-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Ultima Protege has a similar toepick to the MK Pro and Wilson Coronation Ace. Yes, it is a rocker change to 8 foot so it won't quite feel the same. But, the Protege is only $130-$140. It may be worth it.