View Full Version : "Character" of a dance?

Morgail
01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Is there a good reference site to find out what the "character" of a dance is supposed to be?

I guess that a tango should be sexy, but what about a waltz? And a blues dance? To me, blues="I got the blues"=depressed - but somehow I don't think that's what the judges are looking for:)

When I last tested the Canasta and the Rhythm Blues, I had a note from one of the judges about needing to get into the dance and show the character.

phoenix
01-16-2008, 11:27 AM
If you *really* want to get into it, take some ballroom dance lessons. They will also do wonders for your carriage and frame.

Short of that, you could watch some ballroom competitions on tv or youtube. There are also lots of instructional videos out there that would give you a beginning glimpse.

But a short short summary (keeping in mind that ballroom doesn't always translate well to the ice)
Tango--should be very crisp, sharp movements, sudden stops & starts. Nothing soft or slow in the movements. Expression should be intense & serious, this is the one dance you don't have to smile for!
Waltz--soft and flowy, happy. Should be very smooth. Should be a big difference (change in level) between downs and ups (this comes more into play in the European & American). Waltzes translate *very* well to the ice.
Blues--not really a ballroom dance. But the judges want sultry/sexy. More for Blues than Rhythm Blues--they're not expecting much here, but soft knees & good extensions.
Cha Cha--playful, happy, flirty

coskater64
01-16-2008, 11:31 AM
From what I have been told a lot of the character is transmitted through the use of knee action, and posture, as stated above a Tango should be sharp and very crisp with erect posture. A waltz like the american should have a soft knee and a good down up down motion a leg that swings like a pedulum and is not kicked.

The dress and face help but they want it on time and if you get the PSA dance book it will help you determine what they want in the way of character.:halo:

Isk8NYC
01-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Just to do my familiar refrain, GO WATCH A TEST SESSION so you can see what's expected. I know, not everyone has that luxury. How about watching on Icenetwork.com or YouTube? I think you'll get the feeling for the slinky, sultry blues or the perky polka.

SynchroSk8r114
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Is there a good reference site to find out what the "character" of a dance is supposed to be?

I guess that a tango should be sexy, but what about a waltz? And a blues dance? To me, blues="I got the blues"=depressed - but somehow I don't think that's what the judges are looking for:)

The USFS rulebook provides general descriptions of what the character of the dance is (for instance, lilting, gay, powerful, dramatic, etc.)

For the specific dances you asked about, I was always told that the Blues (at least at the Pre-Gold level) should "melt like butter." Judges are looking for sultry and sexy with good knee bend and extension, which also contribute to the character of the dance.

For a tango, I think powerful, dramatic, and sharp with erect posture and an extended neck. Try to think of skating as if you're the snobbiest skater in the rink (you don't actually have to be though, LOL!) Basically, don't ever look down.

Finally, almost any waltz is lilting, happy, gay, and can be fast (American, Starlight, etc.) or slow (Dutch). You should try to appear as if you are floating on air. Try to be as graceful as possible!

Morgail
01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the info & tips! I really appreciate it. :D

Nancy
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
One of our local judges told us that she should be able to tell what kind of dance is being skated even if the music is turned off. In other words someone looking at the dance without knowing the specifc steps should still be able to tell if the skater is doing a waltz or a tango or whatever even if there is no music playing.

I'm a little surprised that you would be getting these comments on the preliminary dances. It is definitely a factor on the higher ones.

Mrs Redboots
01-17-2008, 06:09 AM
The judges don't, as far as I know, require these elements in the lower level dances, but in competition, at any rate, it can make a serious difference! And I have seen a Rhythm Blues done incredibly well by two skaters who really made you think of hot, lazy summer afternoons with the person you love!

Even at the lowest level you should be able to at least pick up on the different "feels" of, say, a Dutch Waltz, Rhythm Blues and Canasta Tango - flowy, sultry and staccato, respectively. Not always easy to translate to the ice, but if you can begin to feel it, you can often begin to show it!

Kristin
01-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Sometimes I have seen Ballroom dancing competitions on Cable TV. Not sure what time of year they come on, but in the meantime, you can always do a search on youtube or google for whatever type of dance you are looking for. The ice dances are supposed to look like the type of dance it is so if you watch a few routines, it will help. :) I have stumbled across a few videos a time or two, but I don't remember the exact wording I used when I searched you tube. I would try words like "ballroom dance waltz competition" or something like that.

Morgail
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the additional info!! I'm determined to pass these dances next time around.

I'm a little surprised that you would be getting these comments on the preliminary dances.

I got the judge who is notoriously tough. I got the re-tries because I lost count, but I'm glad she noted the character thing now though, so I can start working on it early:)