View Full Version : music help- program in memory of my grandfather

xofivebyfive
01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
It's coming up on the 5 year anniversary of my Grampy's death. And I know I'm not a high level skater, but I really really want to make a new artistic program(not for this season) in memory of him. Can anyone please recommend songs that would be appropriate for this sort of thing? I'm a pretty classical skater and slow music is better.. I'm leaning towards One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey.. but I would love to check out all the possible options. any opinions or ideas that you have would be lovely, and I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys. hope I'm not being too annoying.

ETA I'm also looking for a very simple skating dress,(dear god not velvet) that is still pretty, it can be expensive or custom I don't care, and I need it to be green.

flo
01-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Winter comes to mind. Michelle Qwan sjated it for her dad. Check out the other thread for green dresses.

jazzpants
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Is Granny still alive? Maybe you can ask her for some of his/their favorite tunes. Ask your parents too -- they have to know what kind of music Grampy liked too.

Green dress... do a search on all threads on dresses (or look at the Sticky Threads for skating dress and equipment.) Ebay seems to be a lot of people's best friend. (Apparently, not my company's IT team's...since it's one of the sites they block thru the proxy server... :evil: )

badaxel
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Angela Nikodinov did a program to Avril Levigne's Keep Holdin' On, after her mom died. It was really moving.

mantysk8er
01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
One of my students whose grandfather recently died skated to "When I Get Where I'm Going," by........Brad Paisley I think? Someone correct me if thats wrong.

There is a line in the song that says something like "I'm gonna walk with my grandfather, he'll match me step for step, I'll tell him that I miss him every moment since he left, and then I'll hug his neck."

It's a really touching song.

axel
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
It's coming up on the 5 year anniversary of my Grampy's death. And I know I'm not a high level skater, but I really really want to make a new artistic program(not for this season) in memory of him. Can anyone please recommend songs that would be appropriate for this sort of thing? I'm a pretty classical skater and slow music is better.. I'm leaning towards One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey.. but I would love to check out all the possible options. any opinions or ideas that you have would be lovely, and I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys. hope I'm not being too annoying.

ETA I'm also looking for a very simple skating dress,(dear god not velvet) that is still pretty, it can be expensive or custom I don't care, and I need it to be green.

There are two songs that i like very much and i think you can listen to ..."The Prayer" by andrea bocelli and celine dion, and "Because you love me" i think it's also by celine dion.

Helen88
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Another one I love is 'My Song', by Dakota Moon. It was used for a commercial starring Sasha and Michelle, that was never actually used, for the 2006 Olympics, and the lyrics can be interpreted in many ways. Fantastic song.

miraclegro
01-16-2008, 09:04 PM
stretch velvet can be nice if you do like an empire waist if you are concerned about your figure. I have one like that and although i'm not overweight, it does not emphasize my over 40 bulges.

Did your grandfather have a hobby or something he liked to do or what style music did he like?

Perhaps a very orchestrated theme from a movie? I just did a program to the music from the movie "A Walk in the Clouds" and it was very wonderful and emotional. Maybe you could find out more about his era of youth or a movie that is reflective of him....just a thought.

doubletoe
01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
All of these suggestions are great food for thought, but don't feel bad if you still want to go with your original idea, One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey. Ultimately, the most important thing is that *you* feel the music and that it means something to *you*, because you will skate best to the music you feel the most.

xofivebyfive
01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
The song that I actually identify most with him is actually "Hurt" but since it's a really popular program of Sasha Cohen's, I'd rather not. I know that it's fine to use music other skaters have skated to, but yeah. I think what I'll do is run by a few of these songs with my dad, and see which one he thinks that my grandpa would have liked best. I actually really love the idea of using "To Where You Are" by Josh Groban.