View Full Version : Coronation Ace blades for beginner?

Tiara
01-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I just bought some used skates with coronation ace blades..... I tried them out today and had a hard time skating on them. Maybe this will get easier, but I really noticed that big bottom toe pick alot. I kept accidentially catching it and almost falling. I have been skating for about 1.5 months now. Thanks!!

Tiara

Virtualsk8r
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
You shouldn't have a problem with the coronation ace blade, once you get used to it. Maybe the skates need a good sharpening.

Remember the front picks are not for skating with -push with the sides of your blades. The picks are for jumping......that said - I did a T pushoff last week to show some skaters and my front pick got stuck in the ice and down I went. You should see the bruise!!!:oops:

Tiara
01-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the reply! i dont typically push using the toe picks very much, but of course being a newbie it happens accidentially. I am getting so scared because i feel like I its just a matter of time before I catch the pick and face plant. Are these blades usually recommended for my level?

tiara

Sessy
01-15-2008, 02:22 AM
I was jumping loop and flip when I switched to Coronation Ace and still I had troubles with the toepicks for weeks.

You'll probably be fine, give it a month to get used to or so and you won't even be noticing them anymore.

An other possibility is that the blades have been very often sharpened and the lowest toepick has not been, you might want to ask for them to take JUST A TINY LITTLE BIT off the lowest toepick when you next get them sharpened. You don't want the toepick removed or seriously diminished, you just want it back in balance with the rest of the blade - IF the blade has had a lot of sharpenings and the lowest toepick was never tipped.
If it has been, it's not about the blades but about how you use them. You'll get used to it.

Mrs Redboots
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
If you've just switched from a basic, recreational blade then yes, you will probably have trouble with CAs until you adjust to them. But they are fine, even for someone who's pretty much still a beginner. Great blade!

myste12
01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Since you got them used, it's possible that they've had a lot of sharpenings which can make that bottom toepick closer to the ice and harder to avoid.

You should be able to adjust to it with a little practice.

slusher
01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
They're the most rockery blades out there so the toepick can seem to be in your face until you get used to it. I love them as I like a quick roll to the toe. I did fall over a lot when I got a new pair and I was expecting it!

FlyAndCrash
01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
If you don't like them, did you ever think of replacing them?

Virtualsk8r
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I always recommend Coronation Ace or MK Professionals to beginners who get their first pair of separate boots and blades. Never had anyone have trouble adjusting.

BTW We had a reallly young (rich) skater about 6years old whose parents bought her top of the line Harlick's with pattern 99 blades - kid could barely skate -- but she learned how to manuever that toe picks quickly!