View Full Version : Not a Tummy Bug & Off the Ice for a Bit

dbny
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, the tummy bug I thought I had on Friday, developed a fever, but no vomiting or diarrhea, so on Sat evening, my doctor had me go to the ER for an abdominal CT, suspecting something nasty like diverticulitis. Everything below the waist was OK (thank goodness!), but the CT caught the bottom of the lungs, and showed pneumonia in my right lung. The attending doctor was very excited about it, chasing me on my way to the bathroom to go for an xray - I guess because it was so unsuspected. Because of the GI upset, I couldn't take oral antibiotics, so they admitted me. I ended up spending the entire night on a gurney in the ER because they didn't have a free bed :x. There were several other "mishaps", but by last night I was able to eat small amounts, and got discharged this morning with a 10 day prescription. I see the doctor on Wed, and hope to be back at work Sat. I may skate on Friday, if I feel well enough, but I can't push this.

Isk8NYC
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
You're right: don't push it. HOpe you get well soon.

Sessy
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Well that's just doctors for you, somebody is thoroughly sick and they're excited about it, because it's so "special". :mrgreen: Kinda like lawyers who go "ohhh, lawsuit!" :mrgreen:

Get well soon!

Morgail
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Feel better! Pneumonia can be nasty if you don't take care of yourself.
Your doctor's reaction made me laugh, though:D

doubletoe
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Get well soon!! :(

Mrs Redboots
01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Poor you! Please take great care of yourself and don't even THINK about skating until you are quite better. Chest infections and ice (see thread started by Kander) simply don't mix.

Get well soon!

momsk8er
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Do take it easy. I had pneumonia last winter, and was off the ice for about 6 weeks. And I just didn't have any wind for a while after I wasn't really sick any more. So come back slowly when you come back.

flo
01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Take care and stay warm and cozy.

dbny
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you for all the well wishes.

Well that's just doctors for you, somebody is thoroughly sick and they're excited about it, because it's so "special". :mrgreen: Kinda like lawyers who go "ohhh, lawsuit!" :mrgreen:

Get well soon!
I think it was actually more of "OMG, we have to get you to xray and take care of this right away!" That particular doc was very nice, as I was able to tell by spending the night in the ER.

Do take it easy. I had pneumonia last winter, and was off the ice for about 6 weeks. And I just didn't have any wind for a while after I wasn't really sick any more. So come back slowly when you come back.

OMG, SIX WEEKS? If I don't work, I don't get paid. I really have to get back ASAP. I won't go back before I really do have the energy though. Oh, and nurse who removed the IV this morning, told me to stay away from kids to keep from getting sick again :roll:.

quarkiki2
01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Get well soon!

jazzpants
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Oh, GEEZ!!! Sorry to hear about it! :cry: (Is this the same bug that you had when I visited you in NYC that got worse? Or is this another bug?) My FIL had pneumonia too! I guess that flu that was going around when I was visiting got finally got to you too, huh. :( (My DH tried to get an appt. for a doctor when he got back from the trip to see his regular GP. Apparently, DH couldn't get an appt. with him for at least a week and a half. Guess why? :roll: :giveup: )

Thankfully for ME, I am recovering from my bout with the flu (and besides a slight decrease of appetite and a bit of coughing, I'm actually fine now.) So much for flu shots, eh? :P :roll:

momsk8er
01-14-2008, 03:40 PM
OMG, SIX WEEKS? If I don't work, I don't get paid. I really have to get back ASAP.

Well, ymmv. I was sick for 3 weeks before they even diagnosed me with pneumonia. I had it on top of a really nasty bronchitis. Hopefully you won't be off that long.

herniated
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Hope you feel better soon!!! That stinks about being on a gurney in the ER. Bleach!! But glad you are home. Rest up... or at least try.:D

sue123
01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Feel better soon! Pneumonia is no fun at all, when I had it last year, all I wanted to do was lie in my bed and have my mommy make me chicken soup. Take it easy, don't push yourself or else it could get worse than it is now.

Terri C
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Because of the GI upset, I couldn't take oral antibiotics, so they admitted me. I ended up spending the entire night on a gurney in the ER because they didn't have a free bed :x. There were several other "mishaps", but by last night I was able to eat small amounts, and got discharged this morning with a 10 day prescription. I see the doctor on Wed, and hope to be back at work Sat. I may skate on Friday, if I feel well enough, but I can't push this.

Dbny,
If I can say anything about having to spend the night in the ER due to no open beds, I can tell you that this is the trend this time of year. We get the pneumonia and asthma people and we also have surgeries to contend with as well.
Take it easy and if your body says "don't skate" then DON'T!

dbny
01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh, GEEZ!!! Sorry to hear about it! :cry: (Is this the same bug that you had when I visited you in NYC that got worse? Or is this another bug?) My FIL had pneumonia too! I guess that flu that was going around when I was visiting got finally got to you too, huh. :( (My DH tried to get an appt. for a doctor when he got back from the trip to see his regular GP. Apparently, DH couldn't get an appt. with him for at least a week and a half. Guess why? :roll: :giveup: )

Thankfully for ME, I am recovering from my bout with the flu (and besides a slight decrease of appetite and a bit of coughing, I'm actually fine now.) So much for flu shots, eh? :P :roll:

Not sure if it's the same or another bug, but I haven't been well since before Christmas. It's not the flu, BTW, and I waited too long to get the flu shot so I'm still not protected. Sorry your FIL got pneumonia and DH has to wait on a Dr appt.

Well, ymmv. I was sick for 3 weeks before they even diagnosed me with pneumonia. I had it on top of a really nasty bronchitis. Hopefully you won't be off that long.

I think I've been sick for about 3 weeks now, but I'm sure the pneumonia is recent and may be unrelated.

Dbny,
If I can say anything about having to spend the night in the ER due to no open beds, I can tell you that this is the trend this time of year. We get the pneumonia and asthma people and we also have surgeries to contend with as well.
Take it easy and if your body says "don't skate" then DON'T!

Common sense kicked in somewhere around midnight, and the woman I asked about a bed told me there still wasn't one, so I asked what my chances were, and she leveled with me, saying it could be until 10 or 11 AM. I did tell her I was grateful for her honesty. It somehow made it easier than lying there expecting a bed to open up any minute.

hepcat
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
You poor thing. Pneumonia is no picnic, because even after the drugs start kicking in and clearing up your breathing, you have fatigue that goes on for a long time. I had it last year. I could go back to work but it was pure exhaustion at the end of the day. When you're back on your feet, rest as much as your life allows you to.

double3s
01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Take care of yourself and get better! We'll still be here bickering when you're ready to skate again!

liz_on_ice
01-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh, and nurse who removed the IV this morning, told me to stay away from kids to keep from getting sick again :roll:.

At least you have an excuse to have gloves on around them at all times :lol:

mikawendy
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Rest up and feel better soon, but don't push it! Last year, a relative of mine had a nasty bout with pneumonia that involved hospital stays in two different hospitals!!

myste12
01-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Hope you get well soon!

SkaterBird
01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Rest, take care of yourself and let your body recover before you go back to skating. Your skates will be there, and everyone will also be there to give you LOTS of advice as to how to best get started again.

dbny
01-19-2008, 08:11 PM
I just got an email from our skating director saying that another coach has come down with pneumonia and now I need a note from my doctor saying I can return to work. Do they think I spread it? Most likely I got it from one of the thousands of public session skaters I was wrangling over the holidays! Spending 5 and 6 hours a day in that indoor environment certainly did not help either.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I told you not to make out with that other coach, hahahaha!
At least it wasn't mono. *snickers*

I'm no medical expert: can pneumonia be contagious? Or, a better question is whether or not YOUR pneumonia is contagious, which only a doctor can answer.

You know the drill - just call the doctor's office and ask them to fax a note to the rink. Tell the SD to look for the fax. If it doesn't turn up, give them each other's phone numbers.

Glad you're doing better; sorry this rattled your cage. ((((DBNY))))

dbny
01-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm no medical expert: can pneumonia be contagious? Or, a better question is whether or not YOUR pneumonia is contagious, which only a doctor can answer.

You know the drill - just call the doctor's office and ask them to fax a note to the rink. Tell the SD to look for the fax. If it doesn't turn up, give them each other's phone numbers.

Glad you're doing better; sorry this rattled your cage. ((((DBNY))))

It only mildly annoyed me. The real annoyance was getting an email from her at all. It disturbed my state or total rest.

Yes, pneumonia can be contagious. My doctor told me on my last morning in the hospital that I wasn't contagious anymore, having been on antibiotics since Sat night. He wouldn't have put me on antibiotics if it weren't bacterial (which he could tell from the fact that only one lung was affected and my high white blood count). Anyway, if I were going to give to anyone else, I think it would have been any of the three family members I live with.

double3s
01-20-2008, 08:33 AM
I just got an email from our skating director saying that another coach has come down with pneumonia and now I need a note from my doctor saying I can return to work. Do they think I spread it? Most likely I got it from one of the thousands of public session skaters I was wrangling over the holidays! Spending 5 and 6 hours a day in that indoor environment certainly did not help either.

I bet your rink is just panicking - OMG 2 coaches with PNA, they'll blame US, so let's blame THEM first!

Hope you're feeling better!

dbny
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I bet your rink is just panicking - OMG 2 coaches with PNA, they'll blame US, so let's blame THEM first!

Hope you're feeling better!

That's typical of them. I found out today that it's not really another coach, but one of the teenaged helpers, and she'll be back at work on Thursday. I am feeling better every day now. I think I could go back on Tuesday, when I only have two privates for an hour total, but the real challenge is the weekend, which is hours at a time. I don't dare go back for privates if I'm not ready to do the groups also.

kander
01-20-2008, 11:12 PM

I think it's contageous in it's early stages.

Some kind of super bug has been going around since last fall. Everybody I know has had multiple relapses. Mine developed into bronchitis but didn't quite make it to pneumonia. Apparently once you get pneumonia you are more likely to get it again (I've had it twice). There is something called a "pneumonia shot", but I don't know what it's good for.

Kevin

dbny
01-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Some pneumonias are contagious. Mine was, I know because my doctor commented that I was no longer contagious after 24 hours of antibiotics. Here is info on pneumonia and vaccines against it (http://www.vaccineinformation.org/pneumadult/).