View Full Version : Increasing speed

Lisa M.
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Does anyone have any good drills for increasing speed on the ice? I can do all of the moves up through FS1/2, but my speed is really lacking. I am looking for drills that might help increase my speed (and balance wouldn't hurt, either).

Mrs Redboots
01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
My Coach2 says just skate round as fast as you can, not trying any exercises, just skating.

With Husband, we try to fill the rink in 4 pushes, which has now got really rather easy! Wish we could do it other than in the warm-up......

But like you, skating slowly is my biggest fault, and the reason why I'll probably be pre-Bronze the rest of my life.

flo
01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
First think of increasing power - then you'll get the speed. Make each stroke count, and surprisingly to do this you often need to slow down the strokes. Soon you'll have the speed and control.

dbny
01-14-2008, 02:55 PM
When I first started with my current coach, I wasn't happy with my T pushes, as I could always feel a bit of lurch, so we worked on that. Improving my ability to push with as much of the blade as possible and to transfer weight smoothly has helped my speed.

airyfairy76
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm interested in advice on this as well!

The power on my stroking and crossovers etc are building up over time, as you would expect.

However, I am finding it difficult to build up speed on things like entering 3-turns and mohawks as I am worried about doing them at speed (in particular mohawks). Any advice on how to build up speed going into these, or is it just a case of grit your teeth and bear it?!

FlyAndCrash
01-14-2008, 03:59 PM
When entering a three turn, you can push off by bending the knee and ankle before changing feet. The same thing can be done during the mohawk during and before the turn. Hope that makes sense.

techskater
01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Power circles. You don't have to do them to a Gold level passing, but basically generating power from one crossover to get around your first inner spiral is really a hard exercise and very beneficial. Also, any over/under push exercises, Herbies (as they're called in Hockey), and knee bend/stroking exercises will help.

doubletoe
01-14-2008, 04:45 PM
ITA with techskater. I don't think there's anything that will increase your speed like power circles. They are Gold patterns 1 and 2 here:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

Forward power circles (do clockwise first, then counter-clockwise):
Start in a T position at the red line in the middle of the rink, halfway between the center of the circle and the circle itself. Push off onto a very round forward outside edge and hold for 3 beats. Cross over and hold the forward inside edge for 3 beats. Do two more crossovers at that pace, expanding your circle slightly with each one, so that you start to exit the center circle after 3 long crossovers. Now start holding each stroke for a shorter and shorter count until you have expanded your circle past the blue line and are holding each stroke for a quick count of 1. You should do 12-15 crossovers total, and be going very fast by that time. Push off onto a forward outside edge and glide out toward the far end corner of the rink.

Backward power circles (do clockwise, then counter-clockwise):
Start in a T position in the same spot as the forward power circles, but do a very small forward outside 3-turn to get backwards, then step down onto a back outside edge to start the pattern. Do the same thing as with the forward circles as far as timing and pattern, and exit on a back outside edge. You will need to focus on keeping your rear end low and feet wide apart so you can get good pushes and avoid catching your blades.

The Bronze 1 and 2 patterns will be good, too, and probably less scary.

Kim to the Max
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
ITA with techskater.

I also agree with doubletow and techskater....Power circles are REALLY good for increasing power and speed....and also your comfort with doing crossovers at both high speeds and at an increased rate/tempo...

dbny
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
However, I am finding it difficult to build up speed on things like entering 3-turns and mohawks as I am worried about doing them at speed (in particular mohawks). Any advice on how to build up speed going into these, or is it just a case of grit your teeth and bear it?!

Since the problem is fear, I am well qualified to respond :lol:. My previous coach asked me to pick up the speed on the Prelim power threes, not realizing that I was deliberately keeping it down! What has helped me is to first do whatever it is a few times at my normal snail's pace, then if it feels comfortable, go a little faster. Bit by bit, I'm getting there with the power 3's.

badaxel
01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I have to agree with those who said power circles!
I hate to admit it, because I despise power circles, but they really have increased my speed, and I notice a big difference in my security and speed on crossovers in my program!

Lisa M.
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have never done power circles. I will give them a try tomorrow morning. Wish I had asked earlier...I had the rink to myself this morning. Used it to do Waltz 8s without interruption.

ibreakhearts66
01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
i think it is also important to learn to use every opportunity to push and generate power. for example, be sure to get both pushes in forward crossovers..theres the push when you extend your right leg (for CCW xovers) and the push as you slide your left out from under your right. now sure i expressed that well, but hopefully you understand. also, for back xovers, the power doesnt come for the cross alone, but from the push BEFORE you cross (remember when you were first learning them and had to to swizzle, pick-up, cross?). utilizing both pushes will help a lot.

also, ALWAYS push when you go into a three-turn or step from back to forwards. maybe it would be helpful to work on elements at half-speed and focus on where the different pushes would be and how to maneuver them. then, when you know where/how to push, it becomes easier to do it at higher speeds

Lisa M.
01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks. My coach has had me working on the pushes with the crossovers. She has been stressing the pushes with both feet. I just have not had the confidence to get very fast at it. Every time I get good speed, I slow down and start over.

Rusty Blades
01-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Take some of mine before I kill myself! 8O It's great to hear the coaches rave about my speed and power but, seriously, WHY?

What REALLY worked for me was to seriously slow down the motions and hold every edge longer and get a quick knee-bend into every push. When it's really good, it is also really quiet.

mikawendy
01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
See this thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22683) for a discussion from last year about this--I found it very helpful at the time (and the thread talks a little about what Rusty Blades just mentioned--slowing down the motions and holding the edge--seems paradoxical to gain speed and power from that, but it's not).

ITA that power circles are helpful. At least in the direction that I prefer, I luuurve doing these if there's enough room on the ice. Doing them has helped me feel a little more comfortable with trying to increase speed in forward crossovers (I find backwards easier to generate power and speed). I find I'm more successful with these if I concentrate on using the entire leg with maximum push in these.

Doing them has also taught me what I'm doing wrong on my bad side--the underpush is REALLY wimpy and my free hip position isn't as good. Having to get going from a standstill really showed me what wasn't working.

Mrs Redboots
01-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I also agree with doubletow and techskater....Power circles are REALLY good for increasing power and speed....and also your comfort with doing crossovers at both high speeds and at an increased rate/tempo...
But it's not the skating fast I have trouble with - it's doing anything once I'm going fast! Like a 3-turn (impossible for me at any sort of speed) or a Mohawk (less impossible, but very seldom possible!). I also find it difficult to go from fast crossovers into anything else - you can see that the problem is that I have trouble shifting my not inconsiderable body weight when going at any sort of speed.

myste12
01-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I used to skate veeery slow! I had to build up speed little by little, especially into elements like 3turns and mohawks. I'd do three in a row each session, and try to go just a bit faster each time.

If your rink has a power and/or edge class, that can be very helpful as well.