View Full Version : Back on the ice!

skaternum
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I haven't posted here in a while, but I thought I'd save some time (instead of sending a dozen PMs or emails) and let folks know what's going on. For the first time in 27 months, I got back on the ice! Most of the cartilage that they implanted in my knee grew just fine, and after 14 months, it's mature enough to handle the weight. So I got the release to do a *little* bit, provided I limit it to a half hour, no jumping or spinning, and have to wear kneepads.

I went Friday afternoon (I'd already taken the afternoon off for an appointment) to a low level freestyle session nearby. OMG, those first few strokes were so AWKWARD! It was bizarre, just feeling the ice and trying to balance. And also trying not to freak out about what my knee felt like. (I still have some minor pain from the surgeries.) But by the end of the half hour, I'd managed to eke out forward and backward crossovers and some of the lower MITF. I did consecutive edges, 3 turns, mohawks, brackets, Russian stroking forward & backward, and a couple other things.

The best thing is, I didn't experience much swelling late that night or the next morning! I'm really hopeful that I'll be able to get back to *real* skating by the summer. Any prayers, positive thoughts, or animal sacrifices will be appreciated! :P

jenlyon60
01-13-2008, 08:13 PM
congrats!!!!

jazzpants
01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
CONGRATS and HOOORAAAAAAY, skaternum!!! WHOO HOO!!! GREAT to finally hear after all this time that you're back on the ice, even if it's just on edges and moves!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Positive thoughts? Hmmmm... try this one...

Take your time getting back into things. The good part is that when you are finally ready to resume competing again and go to AN, I may finally get to meet you this time at AN instead of you going thru my primary coach to get to me. ("Blackmail material" skating dress and all... :P ) And boy do we have havoc to wreak when we finally meet! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

coskater64
01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Congratulations!!:D :D

Kim to the Max
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Congratulations!!

Take your time and enjoy the experience :)

miraclegro
01-13-2008, 09:27 PM
congrats!

I know that when i went back after breaking my ankle, i felt like Bambi on the ice (remember that in the movie?)

It is huge to go back and not freak out becaue it feels so awkward!

BTW, what is Russian stroking?

samba
01-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Well done, I have just sent a prayer up to the boss man in the sky.

jwrnsktr
01-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Very, very happy for you - take it easy! I'd ice it down anyway. Listen to your body. You must be so thrilled.

Isk8NYC
01-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Congratulations!

FrankR
01-14-2008, 08:09 AM
That's great to hear, Lori. I wish you all the best. Welcome back!! :)

Mrs Redboots
01-14-2008, 08:10 AM
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! (I would put that huge and red, but for some reason my editor isn't working at the moment).

Oh, what brilliant news, I'm so pleased for you!

Maybe you could come and do Interp at the Mountain Cup this year - they dont' require jumps, after all. And it is the 10th anniversary edition...

Debbie S
01-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Congratulations, skaternum! Wow, brackets and Russian stroking on your first day back after 2 years - :bow: . I took 2 months off after a back injury a few years ago and I remember getting back on the ice and feeling like I had 2 left feet, or 2 right feet, or no feet at all - lol. That's awesome you were able to do so much.

Are you going to your club's Yamaguchi/Wylie/Bechke seminar this weekend? (I'm so jealous of you guys down there :) )

skaternum
01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Congratulations, skaternum! Wow, brackets and Russian stroking on your first day back after 2 years - :bow: . I took 2 months off after a back injury a few years ago and I remember getting back on the ice and feeling like I had 2 left feet, or 2 right feet, or no feet at all - lol. That's awesome you were able to do so much.Well, I didn't say they were GREAT, but I did them. Hehe.

They won't let me do any jumping or spinning for a while yet. The cartilage isn't mature enough to withstand it. Maybe summer.

When I got home from the rink, my husband asked how it went, and I gave him the full report, which sounded great. And THEN burst out crying. He didn't understand why, because it had been a good experience. But my big concern, quite frankly, is that I'll get back into it mentally and emotionally and THEN find out that it's not gonna work in the long run. I can't give it up twice. It's just too hard emotionally. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but D*** it's fun out there on that frozen water!!

Are you going to your club's Yamaguchi/Wylie/Bechke seminar this weekend?Yes, I am. I'm dying to see Paul Wylie and tell him how much his skating has meant to me over the years. To this day, his Carmina Burana gives me chills!

skaternum
01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
BTW, what is Russian stroking?Forward Russian stroking is a crossover followed by an inside edge glide, on a 4 count. Example:

(1) L (2) Right crossover, (3-4) step to a L inside edge.
(1) R (2) Left crossover, (3-4) step to a R inside edge.

Backwards, it looks like a back crossover to an outside edge (landing position) glide. This is one of the MITF.

herniated
01-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Congratulations!!! It does feel great to be back!!

dbny
01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Congratulations! You really accomplished a lot that first time back!

skaternum
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
And just today, I got clearance from my medical team to skate twice a week for 30 minutes each session. :D

NoVa Sk8r
01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Great news. Hope to see you in your full, radiant form ASAP!

Beccapoo2003
01-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Good to hear from ya, gal!!! Big Hugs, Becca:D :D

sue123
01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry this is a bit late, but congratulations!!!!