View Full Version : New Directions or Missed Resolutions? (Practice thread 1/14 - 1/20/2008)

Isk8NYC
01-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Just starting tomorrow's thread today.
(When did we switch to a Monday start? I thought it was Sun to Sat?)

liz_on_ice
01-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Just starting tomorrow's thread today.
(When did we switch to a Monday start? I thought it was Sun to Sat?)

probably when nobody remembered to start new threads till Monday ;)

jskater49
01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
New Directions

Last night - I'm competing the Swing next week and I really suck so I asked DD to give me a lesson. I am not saying this just because she's dd - she is REALLy a good coach. "Shall I show you my Swing?" I ask her "No, I want to see your swing rolls first" And so we spent most of the time working on Swing rolls and chasses. You are widestepping, she tells me, bring your feet together. After the second time she told me that I asked her "HOW do I bring my feet together" expecting to hear something like "duh, just do it" and instead she said "Think about sqeezing, squeezing your legs, squeeze everything together" and do you know, that worked?

Then she said she often suspected the reason a lot of people's swing rolls were off time was not because they couldn't keep time, but because they weren't swinging through all the way "YES YES - that's my problem -I don't have time" Well then you just need to work on swing rolls - and she takes me around concentrating on really swining my leg through and leaning into it and walla, not only was my timing better, I was actually on a edge. In fact after some practice last night and then this morning...

MY SWING ROLLS WERE MAKING LOUD RIPPING NOISES!

She also reviewed my chasses to make sure I was thinking about a square - down the ice, then across, then up again.

I made more progress in dance then I have in a long time.

And yes, I am paying her.

other stuff today - I kept up in power again, but was last in the Suicides because I take too darn long to stop and turn. If I could work the transistions, I could keep up.

one foot spins ....a couple of times I actually managed a few revolutions after my edge entry....I think it was more because I pulled up and squeezed in to hang on to than my entry being so great but I'll take any progress.

j

j

Morgail
01-14-2008, 11:24 AM
this is for yesterday:

New Directions:
-Making lots of progress in lowering my sit spin to where it used to be. Also doing well with sit-change-sit.
-Camel is still good.
-I've gotten myself back up to 4 revs on the backspin. Slowly, but surely, that spin is coming back!
-Lutzes were decent.

Missed Resolutions:
-Later, it got too crowded so I couldn't work on dances or moves. I ended up doing tons of backspins and sit spins.
-At one point, a woman (a grown woman of about 50, not a little kid) sat right down in the middle circle and relaced her skates. I'm contemplating spending the extra $5.50 and adding another early a.m. session to avoid these Sunday afternoon sessions - they're getting way too crazy/crowded/dangerous.

Isk8NYC
01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Missed Resolutions:
Didn't work out yesterday, so I did off-ice this morning by myself at home.

New Directions:
I just bought a scribe. This could be a good thing!

Skittl1321
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Went to the doctor and I have ligament damage. I start PT today and have to stay off the ice for 6 weeks :(

Guess losing my lesson time is something I don't have to worry about until the end of February :(

Clarice
01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh, Jessi, that's too bad! :( Hope you heal on schedule and well!

I managed to do 2 hours of figures and edge work on a fairly busy public session yesterday. I scribe my circles with a marker, because they would be obliterated pretty quickly under these conditions. Of course I have to dodge people, but in general folks were pretty good about trying to stay out of my path. I'm the only person at my rink who has ever formally worked on figures, so I'm creating a fair bit of interest.

I was in my patch blades, and actually managed some FO 3 turns. My timing and weight placement is much improved. It was too busy to safely attempt waltz eights, though. I'll try those later today on an almost empty freestyle.

Helen88
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
New:
Teacher training day at school, got to skate - that's three times in 5 days :D
Crossovers (forward and back, in a figure 8) were much improved...stronger, more secure, faster. Spirals were also okay...less so on my right foot, but as I only started doing them on that leg yesterday I'm not to worried. Edges were good, definitely progressing...

Missed:
Got to the rink with my friend...about half an hour later a good percentage of our year group had turned up to a party neither of us had been invited to. They left pretty quick though :twisted:.

coskater64
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
New Directions:
Skated well managed to do all moves from Adult PR through adult Gold. CW power circles were better than I thought, still tend to forget little things like how to do backward Russian stroking keep leaving out a xo so just glide and change edge, who needs to push?? Very sore in muscles, might take some Advil for that. Did a few spins, must work on centering them. Did wall to wall Rocker foxtrot all the walls not just long axis but short axis as well. Actually kicked wall after rocker. :D :D No idea if it is on time.:oops: :oops:

Missed Resolution:
Fell, and fell HARD! Elbow is very bruised and swollen but luckily landed on upper part of right butt, so just scary. Sent note to Dr just to let him know. Not as bad a cross country ski fall on Christmas day. No blinding pain so I think it's all fine.:halo:

momsk8er
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
New Directions - completely new directions, like new moves to learn! Passed my Pre-Bronze MIF test today, whoopee!!!

Nothing bad to say about today. First test passed in 30 years (I did figures as a kid, but only passed 1st figures).

Kim to the Max
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
New Directions - completely new directions, like new moves to learn! Passed my Pre-Bronze MIF test today, whoopee!!!

Nothing bad to say about today. First test passed in 30 years (I did figures as a kid, but only passed 1st figures).

Congratulations!!!!!!

doubletoe
01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Wow, congratulations MomSkater!!!

Coskater, that's amazing progress, considering your recent hip surgery!:bow:

New Directions:
- I landed 3 out of 3 of my axels in warmup yesterday. Each one got better, with the 2nd one being perfect and the 3rd one beyond perfect.
- I landed a clean double sal, and the others--which I either fell on or stumbled out of--were fully rotated and landed on one foot. According to my video documentation (my poor husband acted as videographer yesterday), I just dropped my right shoulder on the landing and didn't check my free leg back hard enough. It helps my confidence to know that the only thing wrong with the jump is something that happens after I'm already fully rotated and back on the ice.

Missed Resolutions:
- I 2-footed the axel when I actually did it in my program. I need to remember not to rush the pull-in once I leave the ice. It's something I only do in my program because I feel pressured.
- My spins were frustrating and seemed to be taking another step back instead of improving, in spite of all the lesson fees I've been paying trying to bring them up a notch. :(
- Watching myself on video was depressing. I looked slow and my extension was lousy. I was also having trouble getting my RFO catch foot spiral high enough and keeping it there, which makes me wonder if I was just having a bad day or if my coach has been sugar-coating things for me, telling me it's high enough. . .:roll:
- My nemesis Intermediate MIF move is still working fine, but yesterday I was having trouble with the OTHER ones! I can't seem to keep all 6 moves at passing level at the same time.:giveup:

Thin-Ice
01-15-2008, 02:24 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's a GREAT way to start the New Year!

Scarlett
01-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Congratulations Momskater

Isk8NYC
01-15-2008, 07:50 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!

myste12
01-15-2008, 10:11 AM

Congratulations!!!:D

myste12
01-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Went to the doctor and I have ligament damage. I start PT today and have to stay off the ice for 6 weeks :(

Guess losing my lesson time is something I don't have to worry about until the end of February :(

I'm so sorry to hear that - I hope everything heals quickly!

Helen88
01-15-2008, 10:15 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!

myste12
01-15-2008, 10:25 AM
New Directions:
-took 3 days off to let my ankle heal a bit and skated for the first time yesterday
-learned all of the senior MITF patterns in my last two lessons!!
-landed all of my big jumps at least twice: axel, double sal, and double toe
-fixed the spread eagle into axel in my program by thinking about jumping up and not around, duh!

Missed Resolutions:
-completely overdid it on the ankle and it's sore again:(
-double toe was not at all consistent
-sound system was turned off, so I couldn't do my program with music which is what I really need to be working on:evil:

Mrs Redboots
01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Congratulations, Momskater! Commiserations, Skittlesk8s!

New Directions: Rather awesome today - two exercises we did, the coach was really, really pleased with! One was runs (progressives) round the circle in waltz hold. Mind you, this was with me going backwards - when it came to Husband's turn to go backwards, it was a whole nother story! The other was waltz 3s in waltz hold round the circle, which he said was much improved!

Missed Resolutions: His surprise when we did the progressive runs better than he expected was really rather unflattering! Plus when Husband went backwards.... not good! You could tell he really wasn't comfortable doing back runs. Nor am I, solo - I tried later and couldn't get a decent edge. Plus I got told off, as always, for not pushing into the RFO3 when we did waltz 3s that way round.

liz_on_ice
01-15-2008, 10:45 AM

congratulations!

liz_on_ice
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
new directions - I landed one more (pathetic, but who cares?) loop in practice after a whole bunch of tries. Salchow is starting to get some air, it feels good. Three program runthroughs went smoothly

missed resolutions - I'm still chickening out on toeloops trying to fix that toe waltz. If I jump straight up, I pick and launch correctly, with plenty of air time to go around, but if I rotate I either two-foot the landing or go back to giving a final push off the pick as I start to turn.

Sessy
01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
new Directions
My Snow Whites were mounted! The edges feel a lot like on ice, fun toy.
My forward biellman spiral is now working solidly without a warm up, which makes me hopeful I might be able to do it in a contest safely sometime (but for now I'm sticking with the backwards one).
A hockeyer was trying to chat me up today. :mrgreen:

Missed resolutions
I was a little angry today and I skated a bit reclessly and very long, so I took a very hard fall and I have blisters all over my feet now.

Both
I filmed my biellmann and forward alternating 3's on the line (right?) today and they don't look good but I expected them to look much worse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2K74rwwus

Rusty Blades
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Missed Resolutions: Sleep? What's that? Whatever it is, I NEED MORE!

I am such a woose! Why can't I get my Waltz jump and Toe Loop out away from the security of the boards! And my back XOs - it seems I am still afraid to trust a back outside edge!

I wanna go back to bed! :(

doubletoe
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
new Directions
My Snow Whites were mounted! The edges feel a lot like on ice, fun toy.
My forward biellman spiral is now working solidly without a warm up.

What are Snow Whites? Congrats on the forward Biellmann spiral! What are you doing differently now that is making it work?

Sessy
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Nothing, just practice I guess... :)

Snow whites are a type of inline skates specifically tailored to re-create figure skating. But it's not exactly the same... I'll be fooling around with them once the weather gets a bit better (I was blown off my bike today by the storm) and see if I can get a spin out of em. :mrgreen:

Here's a guy on youtube using em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCDeFyeDQU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVS1oGEhIQ8&feature=related

dbny
01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Congratulations Momskater and Skittlesk8s!

Sessy - I don't think your FO alt threes suck at all. The only real flaw is not holding the BI edge all the way to the line, but I've seen tests pass that way, and even know one coach who taught an adult student to do that as a way to overcome his not so good checking of the turn. Your Biellman attempts are positively impressive!

Rusty Blades - Have you tried to jump across hockey line (away from the wall) two footed, with a half rev rotation to simulate a waltz? If you can get yourself doing that, then you may be able to go to the waltz jump off the wall too.

Missed Resolutions:
Showering this morning totally exhausted me, so I don't see how I'm going to be back on the ice by Saturday. I had to go back to be for an hour. This pneumonia isn't even audible with a stethoscope, why is it making me so tired?

Sessy
01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Really?!! Cool!

Well mom always says it's because the toxins of the dead bacteria and tissues are taking all your body's resources to remove from the blood and that the body body needs all its energy to battle the disease. But I'm not sure how scientifically accurate that is. Take it easy, you'll get better faster that way! :giveup:

Isk8NYC
01-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Get well soon DBNY. It will take less time to get over this if you rest now instead of overexerting yourself.
You're sick - take a sick day today and tomorrow.

Missed Resolutions:
No patch today - the zamboni had a flat tire so they didn't cut the ice. No way to see Figures tracings. (Did I mention I just bought a scribe - that figures!)

I've given up trying to master Twizzles for the year. It just isn't working for me and it's not that important.

New Directions:
I've instead chosen to work on a backward catch-foot spiral, haha! Talk about lost causes - I can't reach my foot with EITHER hand. lol

Pre-Bronze and Prel MITF were good, even the Alternating Forward 3's. Spirals were really good - lots of stretch and control. Change-edge (FI=>FO) are getting much easier.

Jumps are about the same, but the Toe Loop and Salchow are getting much stronger! (From what I could see of the takeoff tracings, they were clean and correct!)

Camel spin was dicey at best. sigh Sit spins were better, but a little out of control. Scratch spins (fwd/back) were good.

Spreadeagles and Tango Stops were really good.

tidesong
01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Missed Resolutions:
There's something horribly wrong when you go back to a small rink and realize that you have to seriously curve the setup for a jump... it just throws you off.

Flying camel wasn't good last night

New Directions:
Landed some nice axels
Landed double salchow... not too nice very odd feeling on many of them, I seem to be on the toe pick alot all of a sudden, had one decent one.
Double toe and double loop very obviously cheated but didnt fall on them... guess thats a semi-good thing? Now if they don't decide to clean up then out of the program they go :(
Layback-side-catch still is there but travelly

vesperholly
01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
New directions

Back sit continuing to improve. What a concept: you practice something and it gets better! :lol: I have to concentrate on stepping close to the spinning foot, leaving my left foot on the ice a little longer so I can push it over onto an outside edge, and making sure my free foot blade is aligned in front of my spinning foot. If I don't do that last one, I can do a nice inside edge back sit ... unintentionally. :P

Tango was much improved even though I didn't practice it at all. Muahaha.

Missed resolutions

I really ought to start working on Senior MIF so I can test it before they pass all those new requirements. I hope to god they table it this year.

doubletoe
01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Nothing, just practice I guess... :)

Snow whites are a type of inline skates specifically tailored to re-create figure skating. But it's not exactly the same... I'll be fooling around with them once the weather gets a bit better (I was blown off my bike today by the storm) and see if I can get a spin out of em. :mrgreen:

Here's a guy on youtube using em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCDeFyeDQU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVS1oGEhIQ8&feature=related

Cool!
BTW, I just checked out your alternating 3's and I also think they look VERY good, except that you aren't making it all the way back to the line before putting your foot down on the exit edge. A little more practice on controlling the turn and keeping your shoulders and hips checked and you'll have them down perfectly!

myste12
01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
New directions
I really ought to start working on Senior MIF so I can test it before they pass all those new requirements. I hope to god they table it this year.

Have you learned the sustained edge step from senior yet? Either I'm leaving out a step and my coach hasn't noticed, or the 2004 rulebook isn't accurate...

Kim to the Max
01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
[New Directions]

Jumps were nice and high today....

Moves were actually pretty decent...also for my warm up, I did my test warm up...didn't do the moves right after that because the session was crowded, but at least did the warm up...

[Missed Resolutions]

I swear, I was going to kill someone tonight, it was so crowded...and, it was also a very mixed session, so you had the beginners working on crossovers (in the lutz corner :evil: ), folks in the middle, and folks doing doubles and trying to land double axels...

I couldn't even get through my program without folks getting in my way...even after I did my program, I was trying to do the things I had missed and couldn't do my lutz nor my footwork :(

I think test freak out is starting...I made some stupid mistakes today...not doing the moves in order and then screwing up the exit of one of my back power circles...I still had crossovers left that I could use and I forgot which side I needed to exit on :(

I'm also getting worried because my dress isn't here yet...

Axels pretty much went splat today....and my right wrist is sore after landing on it a couple of times :(

vesperholly
01-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Have you learned the sustained edge step from senior yet? Either I'm leaving out a step and my coach hasn't noticed, or the 2004 rulebook isn't accurate...
I've learned them all and can do them all, but not up to test standard. What are you confused about on the sustained edge step? (It's my favorite one :))

I had the 2004 rulebook but I took the Senior MIF pages out and then lost them. The steps for left foot are:

LBI 3, hold LFO until middle of ice, swing change edge to LFI, hold
LFI rocker
wide step to RBI double 3, hold RBI edge to middle of ice
cross front to LBI, repeat

I see a lot of people do a crossover instead of a cross front, or multiple crossovers after the double 3. Wrong.

jazzpants
01-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Missed Resolutions?
WTF happened with my flip and my loop?!?!?! :evil: I couldn't land ANY of them last night! :frus: My legs felt like jello and was quite tired. Decided to just make this a fun session and go home early to catch up on sleep (didn't sleep well Sunday night, so that might be it.) Okay, not that fun! I tried out the changes to my footwork for my FS program too.

New Direction:
I tried camels and apparently they are still there. I saw my reflection and though it's not quite hip level, it's getting very close to a spiral position, so it's obvious I'm trying for a camel.

liz_on_ice
01-16-2008, 08:14 AM
missed revolutions- trying to get my change foot spin up to test standard. It was getting a little better lately, I've been practicing a lot, but it was no where in sight at my lesson. Coach said she had a nightmare about it so we spent the whole lesson on the spin. :roll:

new directions - Much work on the forward spin entrance after we worked it over, and I took lots of notes so hopefully I won't forget everything we did. She liked my program runthrough (spin excepted) and noticed improvement in the 3 turns I've been drilling all week.

Mrs Redboots
01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Missed Resolutions: Couldn't do back inside swing rolls today; for some reason my body kept getting in the way. LFO3s initiated from the shoulder, which is okay when solo but not great when partnered. Can't stop being hungry today!

Cut two sets of music for a potential free dance; I like one and Husband likes the other! Which I don't dislike, but feel it would be "same old, same old", rather than a totally new challenge for us. Have asked the coaches for their opinions.

New Directions: Changes-of-edge better today. Worked on Preliminary 3-turn pattern and 5-step Mohawk sequence from American Moves in the Field, just for fun. Also did some speed work, and tried out the power circles, but am not quite sure how they differ from the variable speed crossovers/runs I do anyway.

Morgail
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Congrats Momsk8ter!!

This is for yesterday:

New Directions:

-Dances felt fine, though not done to music.

-Cross strokes were good.

-Silver 3-turn pattern - the 3s weren't bad, but my lobes were all different sizes and I couldn't fit the right amount in on some sides.

-Lutz felt great! I actually did a few with some speed and landed them. They were flutzed, but at least I was moving!

-Spins were fine.

Missed Resolutions:

-8 Step Mohawk - yuck. Edges were flat, felt stiff, and the whole thing was just scratchy.

-Forward power pulls were slow (although the backward ones were nice).

-Program Run-Through - I made it throught the whole program and did all the jumps. Messed up all three spins though - I think it's fatigue from just not doing the program very much. Did the choreography, but it was lazy:roll: Definitely need to do at least two run-throughs on each session to build up my stamina again.

phoenix
01-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Sessy--I looked at your video of the alternating 3's. If you watch yourself closely, you will see that after the turn, you're leaning forward & there is a tilt to your body. You need to stand up straight, and get your spine to be vertical, in order to be able to hold the exit edge all the way back to the line.

So, after a turn on your right foot, you're now on a right back inside edge. Your Left shoulder needs to press down and pull back, and your head needs to come up (right now it's tilting forward & a little sideways), to keep your back straight and your body open & ready for the new step.

Hope that helps. ;)

New Directions: I had a good practice yesterday, worked my tail off for the first time since being sick. I think I've finally got most of my stamina back (such as it was). I put on music & did lots of very very fast back chasses to get working on the Starlight. And also lots of the mohawk/swings from the other side of the pattern. Also played w/ Rhumba just for fun--I cannot see how that dance can ever be brought up to speed w/ the music! It's truly insane.

ALSO--I took a chance & bought a new dress on ebay, from China (!) It arrived yesterday, & it's perfect! It fits, the quality is really good and I love it. It was only $55.00, including shipping, and it's stoned and everything. I've finally found a dressmaker I can trust!! (she sells the dress design, then you send her your size & then she makes it & sends it to you). And, it only took 2 weeks from the time I won the auction to the time it was delivered.
Here's the picture--it will be perfect for my Killian test next month:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ice-skating-dress-dance-dress-competition-dress_W0QQitemZ230211412349QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4939 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Isk8NYC
01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
That dress is beautiful - what a bargain!

I want to go skating, but I'm feeling rather lazy today. *goes to check out schedules*

ETA:

New Directions:
Went to the gym and worked out.
Some guy had ESPN on, so I half-watched, looking for Christopher Bowman news.

Missed Resolutions:
I didn't stretch afterward, because I was pushed for time. I feel it in my knees.

myste12
01-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I've learned them all and can do them all, but not up to test standard. What are you confused about on the sustained edge step? (It's my favorite one :))

I had the 2004 rulebook but I took the Senior MIF pages out and then lost them. The steps for left foot are:

LBI 3, hold LFO until middle of ice, swing change edge to LFI, hold
LFI rocker
wide step to RBI double 3, hold RBI edge to middle of ice
cross front to LBI, repeat

I see a lot of people do a crossover instead of a cross front, or multiple crossovers after the double 3. Wrong.

Thanks so much, my coach is right and my rulebook must be out of date or have a typo. I should know better than to doubt my coach!

In the 2004 rulebook it shows the wide step to RBI double 3, LBO edge, cross front to RBI, change edge to RBO, and cross front to LBI... That LBO edge must be where people get the crossover idea from, at least that's how I read it.

I love this move too, especially the first half. Unfortunately, I'm going approximately 0 mph by the time I get to the second rocker. I need to learn how to squeeze more speed out of the transition from the 1st half to the 2nd half.

jazzpants
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Phoenix: Thanks for being the eBay guinea pig on those dress auctions. I wasn't sure I could trust them since they're all the way from China and all... KWIM? (And I'm Chinese... scary I can't even trust my own countrymen... oh, wait! I'm a US Citizen now!!! :P :lol: )

New Directions:

Did my runthru... and this time I DID do a loop-loop!!! Thank goodness! :bow: :bow: :bow: I don't want my secondary coach restarting the music again!!! :P :lol: (I was particularly dreading this morning's lesson b/c I was afraid I was gonna miss this jump. And secondary coach reminded me that not too long ago (back in Nov.) I couldn't even land the loop jump clean in the program. Now it's almost consistent!!! :mrgreen:

Missed Resolution:

Missed a couple of loops during the warm up and only landed a loop on the second runthru (and with one of those spinny type of landings :frus: ) but still a clean loop!!!

Weird Direction:

Secondary coach is :twisted: again!!! She's making fun of my spin face again on the sit spin. She's lucky that she made this one small fix that at least makes my sit spin look normal again (which was to tilt my head!!!) Or else... :twisted: :P :lol:

vesperholly
01-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks so much, my coach is right and my rulebook must be out of date or have a typo. I should know better than to doubt my coach!

In the 2004 rulebook it shows the wide step to RBI double 3, LBO edge, cross front to RBI, change edge to RBO, and cross front to LBI... That LBO edge must be where people get the crossover idea from, at least that's how I read it.

I love this move too, especially the first half. Unfortunately, I'm going approximately 0 mph by the time I get to the second rocker. I need to learn how to squeeze more speed out of the transition from the 1st half to the 2nd half.
I should know better than to trust my memory - I was wrong. :frus: I looked in the newest rulebook and indeed, there is a LBO, XF, RBI change edge, XF to LBI. That is what I was thinking of when I said "it's not a crossover." I haven't practiced this move in ages, sorry!

Here's an excellent Senior MIF test with that move first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhODS6xll4A

To maintain speed, those transition steps really would help. :) My coach also tells me to really get a big push on the wide step to double 3s to keep up the speed as well.

blackmanskating
01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Congratulations MomSkater!!! That is truly awesome!!!!

BlackManSkating

Sessy
01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Thank you everybody for your help/tips! It was busy today so I didn't yet get to try.

I taught my mum inside 3-turns (well in 1 direction) today. :mrgreen: All she needed was to start doing them from an edge instead of from a flat (and her edges are okay, she can do powerpulls).
And her outside ones are getting better.

I've got something strange about my spins though. I can spin centered with my legs crossed (scratch spin style) but I can't center it for my life in the 1-foot spin position I need to test!!! :( :( :(
Feels *exactly* like the problem on my sit spin too, so I suspect I'm taking my hips out of allignment but for the life of me I can't imagine how not to...
But, on the bright side, I got a phone number of a coach who does private lessons and does it on a rink in the Netherlands, only about 1,5 hours away from my place (not in Belgium). :) :) :)

Kim to the Max
01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
[New Directions]

Went to the rink on campus today and worked ONLY on moves (and my footwork sequence in my program). Things went very well, although, on the CW back power 3s I ran into the wall and realized that I skid for about 1/2 the width of the rink, soooooo I NEED my skates sharpened...I'm hoping to go tomorrow and then pick them up on Friday before my lesson.

I also did so many brackets today! I hope that they will be good on Friday....

[Missed Resolutions]

I picked up the registration for the spring show at the rink on campus....I'm seriously considering it as a practice for my free test on the 29th, but I'm a little 8O because it's been such a long time! Plus, if I didn't do it, I would get some flack from folks at work who really want to see me skate...

LilJen
01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Yesterday. . .

New Directions:
-Had fresh ice all to myself, so I stepped on and did all the PB moves and could even see my tracings. Not terrible for no warmup.
-Gee, I put my free leg/foot in the right place on the 3-turns during my waltz 8, and whaddya know? It's back! I can hear coach saying "YA THINK???"
-waltz jump is feeling pretty secure.
-Gee, I made sure to put my weight on the pivot foot on my pivot, and whaddya know? My FI pivot was so much more consistent. ("YA THINK???")

Missed Resolutions:
-Half-flip is just bleh. I just can't get the timing quite right so I don't go anywhere. Plus there's still the Toepick-o-Phobia happening. Just to feed into my phobia, I was playing around with forward cross steps (I think that's what they're called? outside edges, crossing in front of each other; it's on the Silver test) and went SPLAT! right on my face.

Wish me luck! Tomorrow is my first-ever choreography session with one of the coaches. I really don't know what one does for a minute and a half when the program elements take all of 30 seconds (yeah, obviously, you link them together, but with what besides stroking and crossovers? Oh, yeah, some of the elite skaters don't even know the answer to that question. . . ). It's odd. I've choreographed some for dance, but I'm just a blank when it comes to the ice. Either that or I'm just too self conscious out there, or afraid of catching a toepick while playing around (cause of the ankle fracture-o-rama last April).

doubletoe
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I've got something strange about my spins though. I can spin centered with my legs crossed (scratch spin style) but I can't center it for my life in the 1-foot spin position I need to test!!! :( :( :(
Feels *exactly* like the problem on my sit spin too, so I suspect I'm taking my hips out of allignment but for the life of me I can't imagine how not to...
But, on the bright side, I got a phone number of a coach who does private lessons and does it on a rink in the Netherlands, only about 1,5 hours away from my place (not in Belgium). :) :) :)

Hmm. . . You might be keeping your free side hip and thigh too open or letting that hip drop too low. I know it sounds overly simplistic, but think about keeping the knee and thigh of your free leg in the exact same spot as if you were diong a scratch spin. The only difference is where the foot itself ends up when you bend your knee and bring the foot to the leg. Does that make sense?

coskater64
01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Well I am getting ready to test next week I will do the Adult Pre Bronze and Bronze, remember that I have never done these, and I should mention--It would have been helpful!!

I learned the 8 step mohawk today, not that bad just like the 14 step end pattern. I will only get one day to practice next week but it should be fine.
Can finally hold an inside edge R, long enough to step into spin. Showed coach my spirals, both at 90 which is a big deal for me, that pivot point is only 3.5 months old and I still have 8.5 months to go until I am truly healed.

I hope to have my first dance lesson 1/25 or 2/1 get some help on timing, I am not sure about doing jr/sr moves at sectionals, the outside rocker will still take a lot more strength than I currently have.

Can't complain, slow but steady, I hope to do gold and silver in February.

:halo: :D

Bill_S
01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Missed Resolutions: It appears that my skating buddy did not get tenure here at the university, so she must move on to another job within a year. Major bummer! While I don't mind skating with the kids, it's really nice to have another adult on the ice during practice. I feel so sad for her.

New Directions: The week and a half I took off for my back problem didn't hurt my skating badly. Spins were surprisingly good tonight, but they did hurt.

Skate@Delaware
01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Missed Resolutions: wow this hits the nail on the head! I had a discussion with my coach that this year is basically a major bust because of my injury. All my goals-zip.

New Directions: However, at the risk of trying to sound positive, I have thought about moving ahead (yeah, let's not think about the alternative yet). Yes, I would like to take lessons over the summer-an idea I've toyed with last summer but did not do. Yes, I would like to train harder (physically) this summer as well.

I am willing to accept the fact that I might have to withraw from my competition at Bowie, Maryland if I need to get into surgery ASAP. That's ok with me, I'd rather miss it than run the risk of permanent nerve damage!

That being said, we discussed the limitations on my skating the doctor imposed (no torqueing spins and no full-revolution jumps), and the exhibition on Saturday, I'm to group her girls and try to skate last.

Then I skated my routine. We tweaked it and she saw how it did with the glider feet on my chair (woooo! does it sliiiiide now!). then I ran through it again and man does it sing! We changed the chair action so I glide onto it with me facing the back of the chair (not so bad) and I stick my feet up and it glides along the ice! Then I get up (that's the tricky part) grab my purse and "go to town" so to speak.

Basic run-down of my doc visits: Friday saw the pain doc where he imposed the above limitations (booooo!); Tuesday I received a nerve block which kicked in that night and boy do I feel so much better today! Today I go an EMG (electro-myograph) test which assess the amount of nerve signal that gets through. It is better than he thought so I was ordered to tell the physical therapist to kick it up (I'm dumb-I did and man did I work out HARD!!!!) No more laying on the table getting ultrasound massages and doing little stretches! Won't really know much more until I see the surgeon on Wednesday-so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this nerve block holds although surgery does seem likely I'm not too worried about it.

tidesong
01-17-2008, 03:09 AM
missed resolutions:
First lesson was really disappointing! I don't know why, maybe I just can't skate well in the morning (but I won't let it go down like that, could be arms, legs, timing... something). (And why I skated ok in the "morning" in the us might be because my body was still thinking it was night??? )

Regardless of that, we tweaked the program until it would work in the small rink here, I don't have any back to back jumps this year, so its kinda wierd especially with having to squeeze so many jumping passes spins and a spiral seq into 2.30minutes...

As a consolation... I have my back camel and change edge sit spin on a bad day...

Even my spiral was wobbly when we did the program for the 3rd time... I kept seeing GOE -3s flashing today...

Thin-Ice
01-17-2008, 03:17 AM
NEW DIRECTIONS: First time back on the ice in nearly a month after fighting a cold/ear infection/creeping crud. :D I LOVE skating. Just getting out there and feeling the cold on my face, hearing my blades, even trying to stay out of the way of our Novice-level ladies and a couple of dance teams.. was SOOOO much FUN!!!

I warned coach I would only do one run-through of one program today, didn't want to work on lutzes and wouldn't do camels. She smiled and ACTED like she agreed. Run-through of the Interp program was pretty good, despite two-footing the loop.. and I did my best-ever run-through of the footwork in that program (I guess visualization DOES help!). Then she said she wanted me to "just try one camel". I was giddy enough to agree.. and I actually did a reasonable camel! (This is the element I totally botched on my test). She had me try it again and it was better. Next attempt was awful, but one more try resulted in another reasonable camel. :D Maybe I should not do any camels for a month before competing?

Then we worked on MIF.. starting with alternating 3s from Preliminary (and old Bronze) test. Then moved on to 3s-in-the-field (which I admit I have NOT touched since passing Silver MIF test last July) and they weren't bad. A little slower than she would have liked, but no scraped turns, pretty even lobe size and good posture. Also did double-3s, which I think are easier.. and they felt pretty good too.

What a GREAT day! I'll be back on the ice today and if I can do even half that well again, I'll be sooooo happy!

Missed Resolutions: Not a thing!!!

Sessy
01-17-2008, 03:53 AM
Hmm. . . You might be keeping your free side hip and thigh too open or letting that hip drop too low. I know it sounds overly simplistic, but think about keeping the knee and thigh of your free leg in the exact same spot as if you were diong a scratch spin. The only difference is where the foot itself ends up when you bend your knee and bring the foot to the leg. Does that make sense?

Yes. I'll try. :D

Definitely need to do at least two run-throughs on each session to build up my stamina again.

Casts are evil that way... :twisted:

BatikatII
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Sessy

Can I comment or your alt 3's on the line. (I am mightily impressed with the Biellman!). They looked good til I looked real close at your feet. They're still not too bad ( and way better than my first attempts!) but on some, particularly where you need to push on to your right foot, you definitly put your free foot down while your weight is still wholly on the skating foot and then you turn it a bit on the ice before the push off in the right direction.

I was taught that was a fault. The free foot should be 'pushed on to' so you can't change it's direction once it's hit the ice. I think double toe mentioned why - your weight is not fully over the skating foot so your free foot is coming down with no weight on it and then you are turning it and pushing off. The free foot needs to be turned out and your weight goes on to it as you set it down so you can push off at the moment it hits the ice.

The secret is keep the body upright and change your weight to the new skating foot as you push off. Not easy but possibly the difference between a pass and a fail in the test.

Try just doing a single LFO 3 turn but holding the back inside edge while bringing body upright and free foot right in to almost touch the skating leg. Now press the right shoulder back and turn upper body and head to face the direction you want to go and turn the free (right) foot that way too - from the hip as much as possible. Now step straight down on to the new skating foot (right) pushing off into the RFO 3. Don't leave your weight behind your direction of travel (i.e leaning forwards) after the 3-turns.

An off-ice exercise to demonstrate the difference and why it is hard to do it right if you lean forward after the turns: Stand on left leg with left arm in front, right arm behind as if you have just done a LFO3. Keep standing leg slightly bent and free leg stretched out behind and lean forward slightly so weight is just over toes. If you try to turn the free hip/foot out it is hard to turn it much more than 90 degrees and pulling the right shoulder back feels very uncomfortable. If you do the same standing more upright with left hip firmly over left foot the pelvis has more freedom to make the turn, it's easier to turn the upper body and for the foot to reach the right position all before it touches the ground and you put any weight on it.

New directions: did some good jumps in lesson today and a good
salchow-cherry combo from speed with good length in the jump, in my programme. Some great flips and loops and some lousy ones.

In dance lesson we fixed the problems with tango variation - partly as coach realised she had 4 more bars of music to play with than she had thought, so we could return to our original version of the dance variation, which was easier for me to remember and count. Actually found I could cover the whole rink by the simple remedy of bending knees more to give more ooomph to the pushes. Edges felt much more comfortable too and I am beginning to get something approaching the right amount and direction of lean, to make them really work well.

In practice after wards managed a few almost decent 3 rev back spins. No where near consistent yet but at least I am beginning to feel them so level 2 test should be doable pretty soon.

Missed resolutions: maybe it should have been coaches resolution to learn what the level 5 field moves are properly so he can teach me them correctly. He keeps getting them muddled as he hasn't taught these new ones to anyone else yet.

Sessy
01-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks! Of course you may that's why I post the videos here!!! I wanna learn! It's good for the brains.
Mmmmm brains.... Braaaainnns.... Braaaaaains!... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/zombie3.gif braaaaaiiiinnsss! http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/zombie3.gif
Oh wait that's a different theme. :twisted: :roll:

I printed both your and phoenix's comments and I'm gonna try to find some time and space to practice it asap. :bow:
(because the same problem I'm having on the last half of the edge, I'm also having on my back inside edges and the group coach doesn't know how to fix that other than let me practice them a lot and tell me to "relax" in the hopes that I'll get it by myself, so obviously help is very appreciated). :bow:

Rusty Blades
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Session 253
Tuesday 2008/01/17
Time 0:45

Well that's it ..... today was the end ..... the VERY LAST DAY!!!! Never gonna happen again ..... done ... finished ..... OVER!

Today was the very last day of my SECOND year of figure skating.

It was January 2006 when I got the foolish notion of starting skating at the ripe old age of 56 and went out and bought a pair of skates. It was 18 January when I laced up those skates at my community outdoor rink and thought "Given an hour or two, I'll be right back in the groove!" It had been 36 years since I last put on a pair of skates and apparently every cell in my body that had once known how to skate had long since been shed! OMFG! I couldn't even STAND UP! Trying to MOVE was insanity! Mustering all my courage (and a good dash of fool-heartedness!) I managed to wobble out ten feet (on BOTH feet) and wobble back before collapsing on the bench panting like I had run a marathon and shaking like I had just faced the Devil himself! I did that a couple of times and decided to call it a day.

Being noted more for plain mule-like stubbornness much more than common sense, I didn't give up! I found a coach and started skating regularly. Skating was supposed to be "occasional" and for "recreation" but within a few months I was hooked on the idea of Adult competition (I told you I had NO common sense - I could barely skate forward and I was already thinking "competition"!). From "occasional" it became daily and from "recreation" it became semi-serious competitive. (I say "semi" because I know I am always going to be near the bottom of the heap unless I out-last all the other adults - LOL!)

That was two whole years ago. I never though I would compete, but I have skated at the Adult Championship. I never thought I would jump, but I am jumping. I couldn't imagine spinning but now I have an Upright and am working on a Sit. I have gone LEAGUES farther than I ever imagined I could and I am STILL GOING! Tomorrow will be the first day of Year #3.

I owe a great deal to my first coach, Heather, for getting me started and drilling forward edges and stroking into my dense head - they are my strongest elements! Jocelyn, my summer coach the first year who taught me forward cross-overs - everybody loves my FXOs! And I owe the world to Melody, my current coach, who took my crazy idea of competing and in four and a half months helped me turn it into a reality at CAN 2007 and who's sneaky coaching had me jumping before I realized I was afraid to jump! And to Karen, the head coach, who chaperoned me at Nationals, taught me a lot of strategy, and had me in the right place, at the right time, in the perfect frame of mind! You ladies are THE GREATEST!

BatikatII
01-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I printed both your and phoenix's comments and I'm gonna try to find some time and space to practice it asap. :bow:
(because the same problem I'm having on the last half of the edge, I'm also having on my back inside edges and the group coach doesn't know how to fix that other than let me practice them a lot and tell me to "relax" in the hopes that I'll get it by myself, so obviously help is very appreciated). :bow:

Sessy you have progressed so quickly I am sure you will soon get these to be great. For me it has taken me years to realise that I often didn't have my weight properly over the skating foot on things. That and knee bend seem like such simple things but I'm still trying to learn to do both better. (The 'keeping the weight in the right place' over the skating foot advice was the main thing that got my alternating 3 turns to passing standard in a month, as suddenly I could put my free foot down in the right direction without a struggle and push onto it with no two footing or turning the foot on the ice.)

Oh and for me the other big thing is 'not rushing' - I was and often still am very guilty of 'rushing' things and 'forcing' turns etc. It just doesn't work but I must be a slow learner as I still do it far too often!:D

Good luck!

phoenix
01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
New Directions: I had a lesson yesterday. I have a new exercise, just FI edges w/ free leg held behind, and he wants them DEEP, with a pull out of them & rise in the knee as I do it. Also w/ the free leg very extended & crossed behind the skating leg slightly. And the shoulders held square so they aren't helping at all. It is hard!! Last week I did fairly well but this week he said I wasn't bending my knee, & was leaning forward instead to cheat it. So that needs more work.

But he was very happy w/ my cross strokes exercise (2 slow, 4 fast, repeat), both fwd & back, and they feel very strong & easy.

AND, he had me try the loops exercise again (figure, not jump), and I did a little better. I managed some semi-decent BO ones, and somehow actually did one FI one! Don't know if I can repeat that, but at least I did it once. We didn't even try the FO ones. I want to work more on those, as I think they will do great things w/ helping me understand how to control edges and how to use my knees to do it.

ETA: I also am learning a few Russian words each week.....this week I learned 'hand', 'leg', 'right', 'left', and 'ankle'. I also learned that there is no word in Russian for 'toes'--they say 'foot fingers'. :mrgreen:

Morgail
01-17-2008, 11:22 AM
It was January 2006 when I got the foolish notion of starting skating at the ripe old age of 56 and went out and bought a pair of skates. It was 18 January when I laced up those skates at my community outdoor rink and thought "Given an hour or two, I'll be right back in the groove!"

Ah, Rusty, we re-started just a few weeks apart! I just looked up the first time I skated again in '06 - it was on Feb. 4. Congrats on 2 years:D

For this morning:

New Directions:
-I did 2 whole run-throughs of my program! Woo!
-Moves were in good shape for the most part, especially the power pulls which were way better this morning than on Tues. And the 8-step Mohawk wasn't nearly as bad as it was on Tues.
-I did 3 Lutzes at speed and landed them all:D
-I did a good sit-backsit.
-I actually heard edge rip noises on my dances!

Missed Resolutions:
-Still having problems fitting in all the lobes for the 3-turn pattern, especially on the sides where I have to turn sharply to start (RFO-LBI and LFI-RBO). I really need to deepen that edge in order to start the pattern in the right place.
-On the Canasta, I need to remember to keep moving - I kept losing speed on the 3rd pattern.
-Camel wasn't really on today. I did a few decent ones, but most of them weren't good. I think I was trying too hard.
-I got through 2 program run-throughs, but messed up two spins the first time, and all three spins the second time. It's funny how I can muscle through the jumps and get those, but I guess spins need more energy.

Rusty Blades
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Ah, Rusty, we re-started just a few weeks apart! I just looked up the first time I skated again in '06 - it was on Feb. 4. Congrats on 2 years.....

... power pulls .... 8-step Mohawk .... Lutzes .... sit-backsit .... Canasta ....
Camel

Skating the same length of time ? Shees! I am not even on the same planet let alone in the same league with you Hon!

LilJen
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
New Directions: HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROGRAM! Yep, I got a half hour with a choreographer this morning and we blocked out a program. Of course, at this point it's fairly wobbly and anything but graceful, but there are some new-ish little tricks that I can smooth out (a little Ina Bauer, waltz-toe hop-waltz jump, skid stop) and I think I'll be good to go. If I can remember it all!! 8O Anyway, fun to have something new to do.

Sessy
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
ETA: I also am learning a few Russian words each week.....this week I learned 'hand', 'leg', 'right', 'left', and 'ankle'. I also learned that there is no word in Russian for 'toes'--they say 'foot fingers'. :mrgreen:

There's also no separate word for arm - it's the same as for hand - and none for feet - just legs. :D

doubletoe
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
New Directions:
Today was the first early morning practice since making my birthday resolution (my birthday is less than 2 weeks into the new year so that's when I make my resolutions). My resolution was to stop avoiding the axel and double sal, even if it's early in the morning, the ice is rock hard and it's the last thing I feel like doing.

Results:
6:42am - stepped onto the ice
6:58am - sunrise, according to today's almanac
7:03am - nailed the axel on the first try
7:09am - landed a perfect double salchow just a few minutes into my lesson with secondary coach

Missed Resolutions:
In my program run-through, my mental block got the best of me. Even though I landed the double sal fully rotated on one foot, I immediately reached down to the ice for no good reason and ruined it. I also felt rushed and panicky on the axel and pre-rotated my shoulders, dooming the jump before even leaving the ice.

I'm starting to see that my secondary coach may be right; she says it's not actually my skating that needs help; it's my mental state. :idea: I have dubbed her "Patron Saint of Head Case Skaters."

Off topic. . .
There's also no separate word for arm - it's the same as for hand - and none for feet - just legs. :D

Wow, how weird that the Russian words for hands/arms, legs/feet and toes are exactly like the Japanese words! In Japanese it's also the same word for leg and foot and generally for arm and hand as well. And the word for toes is also foot fingers!

quarkiki2
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Missed Resolutions:

Landed H*A*R*D on me bum and head last night. Because I totally went for the fast mohawk on my bad side in our straight line footwork for Synchro. Got the mohawk, then tangled my feet on a stinking crossover and WHAM! My head landed on my ponytail hard enough that the hair band split, but it did cushion the blow enough that I don't have any lingering effects. I landed hard enough on my tailbone that I was sucking wind for a whole minute before I could talk, so my team thought I was dying, LOL! When I could talk, I said "I think I peed a little..." Got back up as soon as I could breathe again and finished practice A-OK.

Well, I guess I proved to myself and my coach that I can take a fall... Now I have no excuses to be afraid about stinking three turns, LOL! I've had more crazy falls this season in synchro than ever... how strange. I know I'm out of shape post-partum, but that doesn't account for the teammates a) tripped me and b) knocked my feet out from underneath me. I'll claim responsibility for the other falls, LOL!

Skittl1321
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Landed H*A*R*D on me bum and head last night
oooh- ouch! I was scared enough of that mohawk...

very glad to hear you're okay. You're one tough girl!

Isk8NYC
01-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Landed H*A*R*D on me bum and head last night. Ouch! A massage might help make tomorrow easier. (I always hurt more two days later than the next day.)

Missed Resolutions:
Ran late because of weather/delayed school openings/forgotten school things and missed my own lesson. Grrrr.
Spins felt odd for some reason. Think I need a sharpening.
Still not landing the loop or flip, but they both felt much stronger.

New Directions:
Other jumps were excellent, even the half-lutz.
Spirals were good.
Prel MITF / FS were okay; Pre-Bronze MITF / FS were great.

ETA: Almost forgot - tried my new scribe today! It worked fine except the ice was already scratched up so it was hard to see the tracings. Still, got in a few Waltz 8 rounds.

Morgail
01-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Skating the same length of time ? Shees! I am not even on the same planet let alone in the same league with you Hon!

But I'd only been away from skating 9 years, plus I didn't have the knee problems you did. I think you're doing great for how long you were away! :D

Rusty Blades
01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
But I'd only been away from skating 9 years, plus I didn't have the knee problems you did. I think you're doing great for how long you were away! :D

Yea, like that's supposed to make me feel better! ***SULK!***

;)

Isk8NYC
01-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Congrats to both of you! I'm on my second-skatinghood, second year, too!

hepcat
01-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Session 253
Tuesday 2008/01/17
Time 0:45

Well that's it ..... today was the end ..... the VERY LAST DAY!!!! Never gonna happen again ..... done ... finished ..... OVER!

It was January 2006 when I got the foolish notion of starting skating at the ripe old age of 56 and went out and bought a pair of skates. It was 18 January when I laced up those skates at my community outdoor rink and thought "Given an hour or two, I'll be right back in the groove!" It had been 36 years since I last put on a pair of skates and apparently every cell in my body that had once known how to skate had long since been shed! OMFG! I couldn't even STAND UP! Trying to MOVE was insanity! Mustering all my courage (and a good dash of fool-heartedness!) I managed to wobble out ten feet (on BOTH feet) and wobble back before collapsing on the bench panting like I had run a marathon and shaking like I had just faced the Devil himself! I did that a couple of times and decided to call it a day.

Being noted more for plain mule-like stubbornness much more than common sense, I didn't give up! I found a coach and started skating regularly. Skating was supposed to be "occasional" and for "recreation" but within a few months I was hooked on the idea of Adult competition (I told you I had NO common sense - I could barely skate forward and I was already thinking "competition"!). From "occasional" it became daily and from "recreation" it became semi-serious competitive. (I say "semi" because I know I am always going to be near the bottom of the heap unless I out-last all the other adults - LOL!)

That was two whole years ago. I never though I would compete, but I have skated at the Adult Championship. I never thought I would jump, but I am jumping. I couldn't imagine spinning but now I have an Upright and am working on a Sit. I have gone LEAGUES farther than I ever imagined I could and I am STILL GOING! Tomorrow will be the first day of Year #3.

I owe a great deal to my first coach, Heather, for getting me started and drilling forward edges and stroking into my dense head - they are my strongest elements! Jocelyn, my summer coach the first year who taught me forward cross-overs - everybody loves my FXOs! And I owe the world to Melody, my current coach, who took my crazy idea of competing and in four and a half months helped me turn it into a reality at CAN 2007 and who's sneaky coaching had me jumping before I realized I was afraid to jump! And to Karen, the head coach, who chaperoned me at Nationals, taught me a lot of strategy, and had me in the right place, at the right time, in the perfect frame of mind! You ladies are THE GREATEST!

:bow: I just wanted to say, what a wonderful post! I've been inspired by you and reading this site for a while, though I don't post too much. Congrats on your anniversary!

Sessy
01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
LOL I totally understand, even though this is only my first attempt - I've also been skating 2 years (although only 6 months a year on ice). I was mesmerized by Plushenko at the 2006 olympics. I'd been wanting to learn to skate since I was 9 or so, but at the time I was told I was too old for the club in our town (Kids on Ice). And when at 20 I got my first pair of skates, I was told adults don't learn to jump... And at first I believed it, but not for long!
I told the coach later about Plushenko though, "I wanna skate as well as him someday. Ain't gonna be happening but that doesn't mean I have to stop wanting."

You people are the reason I will think thrice before stopping all together if it ever comes to that, though! It seems terribly hard to me to re-learn things, seems very frustrating? I'm amazed at the patience you people have. It seems like it'd be enough to drive anybody out of their mind, but you just... I don't know, learn it like it was the first time around!

Rusty Blades
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm amazed at the patience you people have.

It's called "pig-headedness"! :mrgreen:

it'd be enough to drive anybody out of their mind

And what makes you think, my dear, that we AREN'T out of our ever-lovin minds! LOL!!!!

Sessy
01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I mean more so than the usual figure skater... :mrgreen:

(Seriously, figure skaters are evolution's mishaps... We endure near constant pain (bruises, sore muscles, injuries), put our health at risk, spend all our free means of sustaining ourselves in terms of money on it, doing something completely and entirely useless. Even in the case of a new ice age, figure skating will probably not prove useful. And most of all, if you're a woman like most figure skaters - being somewhat good at this sport will not even make you popular with potential mates! If everybody was like that, humans as a race would die out.)

doubletoe
01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
And most of all, if you're a woman like most figure skaters - being somewhat good at this sport will not even make you popular with potential mates!

Ahem! Correction, honey. . . I've never met a man who didn't think figure skaters had the best butts! :lol:

Skate@Delaware
01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Even my spiral was wobbly when we did the program for the 3rd time... I kept seeing GOE -3s flashing today...
sheesh! and we are our own worst critics...it's NEVER as bad as we think it is...many times I think something looks like cr*p and my coach says "what was WRONG with it??? It looked FINE TO ME!!!" Remember that!
It's called "pig-headedness"! :mrgreen:

And what makes you think, my dear, that we AREN'T out of our ever-lovin minds! LOL!!!!
No, we are just being "persnickety" :mrgreen: we aren't old enough to be "crotchety"...that's for when we are older than 80 and we have a looooooong way to go for that!

jazzpants
01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Congrats, Rusty Blades for your second year in skating!!! Keep at it!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Congrats to doubletoe for not backing down on the birthday resolution!!! :mrgreen:

I'm starting to see that my secondary coach may be right; she says it's not actually my skating that needs help; it's my mental state. :idea: I have dubbed her "Patron Saint of Head Case Skaters."
LMAO!!! Yeah, that's my coaches job, more than just teaching me how to skate. Then again, at times I question whether those coaches are head cases themselves too! :twisted: :P :lol:

New Directions:
More adjustments to the FS program's choreography!

Missed Resolutions:
Oh, dear! It's gonna take me a while to *get* the changes, much less not think about it and just DO IT!!! 8O

Camels are also NOT there. DRATS!!! :frus:

New Directions:

Clean landing on my tougher jumps!!!
Loop: Check!!!
Loop-loop: Check (though it's kinda wimpy!!!)
Flip: Check!!!
Lutz: Well, more flutz than a lutz...and the entry is kinda slow -- but I think I'm getting my bonus jump from 2007!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (So CHECK!!! :mrgreen: )

dbny
01-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Ahem! Correction, honey. . . I've never met a man who didn't think figure skaters had the best butts! :lol:

and vice versa :lol: :lol: :lol:

badaxel
01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
New Directions:
-I was looking at old posts and realized that a bad day with the axel used to mean that I couldn't land any. Now it means that I'm landing them badly!
-Pretty consistently landing at least one of the two axels in my program!
-Spins have been pretty good, even in the program, thanks to some more serious spin practice today
-INT MIF are feeling very strong, I wish I could test them, but I want to wait until after Sectionals

Missed Resolutions:
-Really haven't worked on the double salchow
-Boy, those Novice MIFs look tough! It might take me until the end of the summer to learn just the odd ones! Maybe I won't pass before I turn 30...
-I tried to do some figures today. Man, are they hard!

doubletoe
01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
New Directions:
-I was looking at old posts and realized that a bad day with the axel used to mean that I couldn't land any. Now it means that I'm landing them badly!
-Pretty consistently landing at least one of the two axels in my program!

Okay, that's it. We are going to have a re-naming ceremony for you, Badaxel. What do you want your new name to be? Axelicious? Axelerating? :mrgreen:

LMAO!!! Yeah, that's my coaches job, more than just teaching me how to skate. Then again, at times I question whether those coaches are head cases themselves too! :twisted: :P :lol:

Some of them for sure, but I have to say this one's got an amazing head on her shoulders. . . on top of being gorgeous, sweet and incredibly good at what she does. Come to think of it, if I didn't like her so much, I'd hate her. :evil:

Clean landing on my tougher jumps!!!
Loop: Check!!!
Loop-loop: Check (though it's kinda wimpy!!!)
Flip: Check!!!
Lutz: Well, more flutz than a lutz...and the entry is kinda slow -- but I think I'm getting my bonus jump from 2007!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (So CHECK!!! :mrgreen: )

You may be surprised at that development, but I am not! Way to go, Jazzpants! :bow:

myste12
01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I should know better than to trust my memory - I was wrong. :frus: I looked in the newest rulebook and indeed, there is a LBO, XF, RBI change edge, XF to LBI. That is what I was thinking of when I said "it's not a crossover." I haven't practiced this move in ages, sorry!

Here's an excellent Senior MIF test with that move first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhODS6xll4A

To maintain speed, those transition steps really would help. :) My coach also tells me to really get a big push on the wide step to double 3s to keep up the speed as well.

Good to know! I'll try it out the right way with my coach tomorrow. Hopefully with the extra step, I'll be going at least 1mph by the end of the pattern.:)

And, thanks for that link. I've definitely got the edges and extension, but my power needs more than a little work...

myste12
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
New Directions:
Results:
6:42am - stepped onto the ice
6:58am - sunrise, according to today's almanac
7:03am - nailed the axel on the first try
7:09am - landed a perfect double salchow just a few minutes into my lesson with secondary coach

Missed Resolutions:
In my program run-through, my mental block got the best of me. Even though I landed the double sal fully rotated on one foot, I immediately reached down to the ice for no good reason and ruined it. I also felt rushed and panicky on the axel and pre-rotated my shoulders, dooming the jump before even leaving the ice.

Way to go with the early morning jumps!

I was wondering if there's a club for Head Case Skaters? 'Cause if there is, I need to join! :D

I keep messing up my axel within the program too. As long as the music isn't on, it's fine. The moment I hear the music, I panic and rush and go splat.

jazzpants
01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I keep messing up my axel within the program too. As long as the music isn't on, it's fine. The moment I hear the music, I panic and rush and go splat.I just had that problem with the loop jump. And it just so happens that the loop is the very first jump in my program... so what my sneaky secondary coach did was to make me practice the program all the way up to the loop jump... If I don't land it, she will stop the music and make me that whole entire beginning part leading to the loop jump again. If I land it, THEN I go on with the rest of the program. THEN to add to the challenge, I have to do that whole entire beginning again and I have to land that loop again before she will let me off the hook. If I don't land it on the second part, she stops the music and makes me do the beginning again!!! If I miss it twice and then landed it the third time, I have to do the ENTIRE program runthru again.

You better believe I started landed it BOTH times consistently soon after that!!! :lol: (And now they upped the ante and I'm supposed to do a loop-loop as the opening jump!!! They're EVILLE, I tell 'ya! EVILLE!!! :twisted: )

Anyway... might want to try that trick! See if it works for 'ya! :)

Thin-Ice
01-18-2008, 03:30 AM
I was wondering if there's a club for Head Case Skaters? 'Cause if there is, I need to join! :D

I keep messing up my axel within the program too. As long as the music isn't on, it's fine. The moment I hear the music, I panic and rush and go splat.

What? You mean THIS is NOT the club for Head Case Skaters? I thought we were all members already!

Isk8NYC
01-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Missed Resolutions:
My knees and hips were so stiff this morning, I couldn't even do a sit spin well.

Scratch spins were traveling and I decided to not press my luck with anything else.

New Directions:
I'm finally making progress on my troublesome Prelim MITF! The secret's in my shoulders - I overextend/drop/misplace my arms when a simple shoulder shift would suffice. Love my new coach, he's wonderful and kind. (Considering how long I've been skating, I feel pathetic stumbling on threes, lol)

jskater49
01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Missed Resolutions - Doing my mohawk in the Swing Dance

So I'm at my competition - dance is the first event of the whole thing and there's only about six of us --all doing different dances - only one event has three competitors. Usually when this happens, all the dancers warm up together, regardless of what the program says. So the first dance is at 12:20 and I'm not scheduled to skate till 12:50 but I'm afraid I'm going to have to warm up at 12:20 because this has happened before and I cannot get a straight answer from the monitors or the registration desk. "Well I don't know, it says 12:50 so I think your warm up is at 12:50" someone else "well it says here warm up as one group" - but each groups says that so no one knows, so I have my skates on at 12:15 just to be sure, but I don't warm up until 12:55. Then I warm up and the mohawk is just not happening. DD my coach, bless her heart is desperately telling me things to do the mohawk "bend your knees, it's just a pliea...just do the mohawk" Warm up over. Oh did I mention nobody can hear the announcers. So I get on the ice and they announce "Now we will have the warm up for the Blues" and they announce the skaters for the blues. Huh? DD noticed judges were writing during my warm up and is afraid that was my competition, since we can't hear what they announced before my warm up. So several discussions among the monitors and the judges and they decide they'll let me compete the Swing after all.

First intro mohawk is sort of a mohawk. Get to the end pattern mohawk, it is just not going to happen so I just do a two foot turn. I screw up my pattern and I'm at a point where I'd just like to get off the ice now, thank you. Instead of raise my head up, glue on a smile and do the best darn swing rolls and chasses I can (and a two foot turn instead of a mohawk) I get off the ice and dd ask "Did you decide to make up a new dance?"

But this is why smiling and faking is good. I didn't fool the judges but lots of parents came up to me and said "Oh you looked beautiful" - they didn't know the dance so to them I just looked pretty skating around-- my head was up, I was smiling and I pointed my toes.

New Resolutions - later in the day was my Artistic to Master of the House and I was determined to redeem myself. Originally there were six in my group but 3 scratched. The last few years they have scheduled all the adult compeittions on Saturday which is a pretty good idea. This year they put us with the other artistics on Thursday. And then all the other adult events are on Sat. So if you are traveling from out of town, the chances of you taking off work for two days --pretty slim. I know for a fact that's why one of the adults scratched.

So I don't want to sound like sour grapes and I know I'm not objective about this but I just want to say that there is not one part in this program where I do just crossovers (except for the corner going from half-lutz to other footwork) and I am constantly mugging to the audience and judges, i really think I get into this character. But I don't do a lutz loop, which the person who won this event did. Nor do I do a camel spin which the person who came in second did. All I'm saying is that around here I've noticed with artistic comps, not just with adults, but it's the higher level skater who wins, even if it's basically a freestyle program with lyrics.

But no matter I skated well, and I felt much better about this bronze medal than I did the one I got for the Swing --when you skate that bad against the book you should get nothing.

j

Skittl1321
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
All I'm saying is that around here I've noticed with artistic comps, not just with adults, but it's the higher level skater who wins, even if it's basically a freestyle program with lyrics.

But no matter I skated well, and I felt much better about this bronze medal than I did the one I got for the Swing --when you skate that bad against the book you should get nothing.

j

Wow you certainly had an interesting competition! I'm glad that your warm up for your swing didn't count as the actual event! And maybe in a few years the jskater "swing" will be an official event- someone had to make up all the dances :) Good for you for keeping a smile on and finishing! For that you deserve the Swing bronze, IMO. In a 3 person event you would have gotten a bronze for that, so you deserve it against the book.

It's good to hear you thought you did well with your artistic program because that's what matters. I quoted what you said because I really agree with you, since we skate in the same area. In fact, my "artistic" program (which I don't compete, but my coach calls it "artistic" when I do it) IS just a freestyle with lyrics that I occasionally take a cue from to do something like shimmy or blow a kiss. I wouldn't compete it as an artistic- because I don't think that's the intent of the event.

Scarlett
01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
My right foot is a useless appendage that I keep dragging along the ice because it is attached. Apparently my coach thinks so as well so...

Missed resolutions:
I could not do a decent scratch spin to save my life. I lean to the left and am amazed I stay on my feet.
My R03 on my powerless 3's were comical.

New directions:
Backspins were very strong today.
Starting working on the back sit since the forward sit is going nowhere. Again see useless right foot.

Isk8NYC
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
My right foot is a useless appendage that I keep dragging along the ice because it is attached.I said something similar this morning - when I do the Power 3's for moves, I can't point my right foot!
It's like it's broken and just hangs there! My right hand, however, makes an odd right angle, roflol. You can see it in my hands when I'm not skating well.

You have my sympathy, my fix is to lift the stupid hip.

Rusty Blades
01-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Missed Resolutions: It was VERY cold at the rink today which coupled with day #3 this week left me a bit stiff - took awhile to get the knees bending enough for Shoot the Duck and Sit Spin!

In lesson we worked a bit on the choreography and then jumps. Coach said if I want to have a Free Skate for Nationals, I HAVE to get my jumps out away from the boards - she's right - I know she's right - I just don't know why I panic and can't do it! I was once a strong jumper (many decades ago) - it's still there, I can feel it - I just have to find that "go for broke" headspace. When I find the headspace to commit wholeheartedly to the jumps, they will come back - I just haven't found the key to that door yet .... and I WANT THE KEY!

Mrs Redboots
01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
First intro mohawk is sort of a mohawk. Get to the end pattern mohawk, it is just not going to happen so I just do a two foot turn. I screw up my pattern and I'm at a point where I'd just like to get off the ice now, thank you. Instead of raise my head up, glue on a smile and do the best darn swing rolls and chasses I can (and a two foot turn instead of a mohawk) I get off the ice and dd ask "Did you decide to make up a new dance?"Typical daughterly remark! But well done you competing it anyway - I don't dare try it solo as I know the backwards section is so dire. Fine with a partner - we compete it again this year - but awful solo! And because it's not yet up to competition standard (haven't competed it in 18 months), I rushed the mohawk very badly again this morning.

But this is why smiling and faking is good. I didn't fool the judges but lots of parents came up to me and said "Oh you looked beautiful" - they didn't know the dance so to them I just looked pretty skating around-- my head was up, I was smiling and I pointed my toes.
One can never fool the judges, alas!

So I don't want to sound like sour grapes and I know I'm not objective about this but I just want to say that there is not one part in this program where I do just crossovers (except for the corner going from half-lutz to other footwork) and I am constantly mugging to the audience and judges, i really think I get into this character. But I don't do a lutz loop, which the person who won this event did. Nor do I do a camel spin which the person who came in second did. All I'm saying is that around here I've noticed with artistic comps, not just with adults, but it's the higher level skater who wins, even if it's basically a freestyle program with lyrics. It does depend on the panel - sometimes you get a panel that will reward good acting more than good skating, other times you won't, and you can absolutely never tell which it's going to be! Some competitions don't even give you a technical mark if it's Interp..... and even then, it's a total lottery as to whether the judges like it or not. I've been placed first, last and in the middle with the same programme during the course of a single year. Go figure! The important thing is to have fun and please the audience - you can't control anything else!

As for me, today:

Missed resolutions: Swing dance mohawk, as mentioned above. Also funeral of a skating friend today; she was not young, and hadn't been able to skate for several years, but all the same.... :( :(

New Directions: Coaches scrub up nicely! And it was good to see former skaters who one hasn't seen in awhile.

On the ice, had a lovely long session with Husband, as he was working at home today.

momsk8er
01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Rusty - congrats, and hang in there. I just finished my 3rd year of skating after over 30 years off the ice. I am overweight and somewhat out of shape (and don't seem to be losing any weight, dang it). One thing I have found helps with the jump confidence (not that it has helped me enough to master my loop or flip) is ankle and calf strength. I have been doing 50 releves (can't put in the accent mark, but I mean going up on your toes) per day and it has really helped with my landing stability.

New Directions - tried out the new moves today, and gosh the Bronze moves are easier than the Pre-B. Must be a catch there somewhere, because I don't know why they should seem so easy. Power 3s are much easier than the 3 turn move on the Pre-B. Only thing that is a challenge really is the mohawk sequence, but I think getting some more speed on that "wrong way" mohawk won't be that long in coming.

Missed Resolutions - busy week at work so haven't skated since Tuesday. Hate it when I am off the ice for 2 days even - it always seems like I've lost conditioning. Also, I've been working on my moves so much to pass my test that the free skating suffered a bit. Like waltz-toe and sal-toe were not happening today, I would get through the first jump and then get no rotation on the next.

Rusty Blades
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Rusty - congrats, and hang in there. I just finished my 3rd year of skating after over 30 years off the ice. I am overweight and somewhat out of shape (and don't seem to be losing any weight, dang it)......

WAHOOO! Another ME! Beats me how I can skate my a@@ off three days a week, eat less than I used to, and not lost a damned pound in 2 years! (And if anybody says "Muscle weighs more than fat" I am going to smack them!)

doubletoe
01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
WAHOOO! Another ME! Beats me how I can skate my a@@ off three days a week, eat less than I used to, and not lost a damned pound in 2 years! (And if anybody says "Muscle weighs more than fat" I am going to smack them!)

Muscle weighs more than fat! :mrgreen: (now running for cover. . .)

doubletoe
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
So I don't want to sound like sour grapes and I know I'm not objective about this but I just want to say that there is not one part in this program where I do just crossovers (except for the corner going from half-lutz to other footwork) and I am constantly mugging to the audience and judges, i really think I get into this character. But I don't do a lutz loop, which the person who won this event did. Nor do I do a camel spin which the person who came in second did. All I'm saying is that around here I've noticed with artistic comps, not just with adults, but it's the higher level skater who wins, even if it's basically a freestyle program with lyrics.

Guess what? It's not just in your area! Every time I think maybe I'll finally do an interpretive/artistic program, something like this reminds me of why I've never had the desire to do one yet! :roll:

Sessy
01-18-2008, 03:12 PM
NEW DIRECTIONS:

sit spin: Apparently, my sit spin is now recognised as being a sit spin by coaches (as opposed to telling me "that's not a sit spin"). WAHOO!!! It's not low enough to pass the coach says, but she says it *is* a sit spin. Sign me up for the head-case skater club too, because the only difference was that I got angry and was determined to do one today.

MIF: The group class coach today had me do some new stuff again... again I'm not sure on the name, maybe somebody can help me out?
Right forward outside edge, turn to right back inside edge, crossover (right over left), step out onto a left forward outside, turn to right back inside, crossover (left over right), step out onto a right forward outside, etc.
After about 10 minutes the coach concluded it looked fine, and she had me do something even crazier. I'm not sure what the English name is: crossover (left over right), then from the left back inside edge make a back 3-turn onto a left forward outside edge, then step onto a the right foot on a back edge again, then crossover (left over right) again and repeat. After that the same drill in the other direction.
That one was hard, I couldn't really do it until the end of the lesson, and even then I could only do it without toepicks on maybe one out of four attempts.

The other girls in the group are now joking that I'll be testing like four MIF tests in April if I go on like this. Not likely... But I do wonder what the coaches are meaning to achieve by having me practice the more complicated stuff before I've completely mastered the easier stuff to passing standard...

Missed Resolutions
Instead of the flip (which I can't land due to injury but which I can do a take-off fine for), I'm supposed to learn a split jump now. How am I gonna do that if I can't even do a split off the ice?!

BatikatII
01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
NEW DIRECTIONS:

MIF: The group class coach today had me do some new stuff again... again I'm not sure on the name, maybe somebody can help me out?
Right forward outside edge, turn to right back inside edge, crossover (right over left), step out onto a left forward outside, turn to right back inside, crossover (left over right), step out onto a right forward outside, etc.
After about 10 minutes the coach concluded it looked fine, and she had me do something even crazier. I'm not sure what the English name is:

The other girls in the group are now joking that I'll be testing like four MIF tests in April if I go on like this. Not likely... But I do wonder what the coaches are meaning to achieve by having me practice the more complicated stuff before I've completely mastered the easier stuff to passing standard...

If they are anything like my coach it helps by making the easy stuff seem even easier after they've made you try the hard stuff - kind of like why my coach makes me do the jumps ( waltz, salchow and toe-loop) in both directions. Actually this is now getting a bit disconcerting as he claims he can't see the difference between the two sides and I fear that it is not that my bad side is getting good but that my good side is bad:oops: !

The first exercise you describe above sounds a bit like the one my coach calls 'tricky steps' (he is Russian), which always confuses me as I don't find it particularly tricky but the one he calls 'slip steps' I do find tricky (as in difficult) so I invariably set off doing the wrong exercise entirely!

He often tries out weird moves and step sequences on me even if they are from several levels above the one I am working on - and just occasionally I find one I think I could get the hang of.

My old coach who did mainly dance, taught me a tango original dance that was at a much faster tempo than the canasta tango I'd been working on. When I went back to the canasta tango it felt like I was moving in slow motion and suddenly became so much easier.

blackmanskating
01-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Hahaha!!!! Ohh My Gosh Rusty Blades I have got to meet you!!! You crack me up!!!! Too funny!!

New Direction: I can now do a sit-change-sit combo. I thought that was pretty cool. I can also do my forward sit on the outside edge for a rev or two. The back sit on the inside edge is easier though. I can get 3 revs out of that one and it doesn't sound scratchy. I'm going for a camel-sit-back sit to inside edge-pancake-backscratch combination. Whew! I didn't realize how much stuff that is until I typed it out.

I finally did a decent flying camel!!! I got 4 revs out of it and it didn't travel too much. I also fixed my center on my forward scratch spin!!! I practiced it and realized that I was too far forward on the blade when I enter the spin on the outside edge. I stayed a little further back on the blade until the 3 turn happens and I was able to center it even when I put all my strength into it. It's been a long time since I did a scratch spin so fast that it made my hands fall asleep.

New footwork exercises were pretty cool. Back outside double 3's to a loop jump step forward outside double 3's to salchow. Then I have to repeat it but I do a toeloop and a flip instead.

Missed Resolutions: My back camel is slow. I gotta figure out how to get more speed. double lutz was horrible. My 3-turns in the fields were bad because the lobes weren't as even as they could be. I'll get it though.

BlackManSkating

FlyAndCrash
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
NEW DIRECTIONS:

Sounds like a chactaw

techskater
01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Missed Resolutions: My back camel is slow. I gotta figure out how to get more speed.

BlackManSkating

Back camels are all about tightened up core muscles. When I figured out how to tighten them up appropriately, voila! Back camel that I can hold for days. Solo

jazzpants
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
WAHOOO! Another ME! Beats me how I can skate my a@@ off three days a week, eat less than I used to, and not lost a damned pound in 2 years! (And if anybody says "Muscle weighs more than fat" I am going to smack them!)Though it's tempting for me to say "Muscle weighs more than fat..." and risk getting smacked... :twisted: :P :lol:

Go get a dietitian to look at what you're eating. You may be surprised. (I was like you too... skate like hell, work out at the gym like a demon, yet not an ounce dropped. And the worst is that I ended up gaining weight.) Trust me, it was the best thing I've ever done! Also, get your thyroid checked to make sure you're okay there too.

badaxel
01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Okay, that's it. We are going to have a re-naming ceremony for you, Badaxel. What do you want your new name to be? Axelicious? Axelerating? :mrgreen:

Very Funny!
First of all, YOU should not be :mrgreen:ing my jumps! It should be the other way around!
I thought about changing it, but I kind of like my name, like, I have a BAAAAD axel. :P Plus, I don't want to do ANYTHING to jinx it. You know how persnickety those axels are! :lol:

Rusty Blades
01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Though it's tempting for me to say "Muscle weighs more than fat..." and risk getting smacked... :twisted: :P :lol:

Go ahead, make my day! 8O

Go get a dietitian to look at what you're eating ... Also, get your thyroid checked

Went to a dietitian last spring - except for being a little high in fat she was at a loss. She made some recommendations that I followed but to no effect. Her only other idea was that I might have to raise my caloric intake if I am in "starvation mode".

Also have a clean bill of health on any medical problems.

Isk8NYC
01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I thought about changing it, but I kind of like my name, like, I have a BAAAAD axel.
ITA Glad you said that because I don't know how to change it anyway...

SpaMama
01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Missed Resolutions:

When I could talk, I said "I think I peed a little..." Got back up as soon as I could breathe again and finished practice A-OK.

I am sorry - but this was the funniest line of the day!!! I sure understand - two kids later and I pee when I cough!

Spamama

doubletoe
01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Very Funny!
First of all, YOU should not be :mrgreen:ing my jumps! It should be the other way around!
I thought about changing it, but I kind of like my name, like, I have a BAAAAD axel. :P Plus, I don't want to do ANYTHING to jinx it. You know how persnickety those axels are! :lol:

Oh boy, do I, LOL! And yeah, you're right, BAAAAAD is even better than "good"! :lol:

Kim to the Max
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
[new directions]

Lesson with coach was good. I was in a sour mood because of things at work...but, we went through moves....again, some small corrections and things to work on...I think that the brackets are going to be the downfall of this test...maybe I'll go tomorrow and just work on the brackets...

Then we worked on axels...coach was way too excited to work on axels...I told her that it was a mistake to do them when she was on a session...her face that first time she saw me do one was priceless....hopefully we will continue to work on them because we identified some issues....it appears that the top half of my body is fully rotated, however, my feet are not yet all the way around...there are also some things with my take off and my shoulders that we need to fix...

[missed reolutions]

I was in a bad mood today...while it didn't affect my skating too much, coach noticed....

I think that bracket pattern is going to be the death of me...I'm thinking that I'm starting to freak out a bit about the moves test coming up...I'm still doing some of the moves okay, but I'm worried about some of the moves :(

techskater
01-19-2008, 05:18 AM
The trick to passing MIF is NOT to freak about them. I know that's weird, but it's true. When I passed, I actually didn't work on them for a month in advance and I found out the day before that I was testing because I was wait listed! I also hadn't skated the day before nor was I planning to skate the day of (normal off day). :oops:
I think I might do the same thing with this Novice MIF test - just have my coach tell me the day before. LOL!

Kim to the Max
01-19-2008, 09:16 AM
The trick to passing MIF is NOT to freak about them. I know that's weird, but it's true. When I passed, I actually didn't work on them for a month in advance and I found out the day before that I was testing because I was wait listed! I also hadn't skated the day before nor was I planning to skate the day of (normal off day). :oops:
I think I might do the same thing with this Novice MIF test - just have my coach tell me the day before. LOL!

Easier said than done :) I can feel the nerves setting in already! I am supposed to test on February 1st and I am out of town Wednesday-Saturday of next week, missing valuable practice time. And, the dress I had ordered, isn't here yet (I ordered it off of e-bay about a month ago from China...I'm getting a bit worried)... Also, it has been so long since I've tested... Additionally, the fact that I keep having all of these little corrections from my coach...while they are a good thing, just makes me wonder if I'm ready for this test...my typical doubts!

Okay, enough of the pity party...pretty soon I'll have to bust out the party hats and noise makers!:mrgreen:

techskater
01-19-2008, 02:24 PM
You have to look at the days off as valuable mental rest time from the testing preparation. It's necessary in order to put out a strong test not to beat it into submission both physically and mentally. I beat the s--- out of myself the first time I took it which was a HUGE mistake as I was very nervous and locked up about it. I had NEVER take a moves test before (grandfathered) and made mistakes just enough to get the dreaded retry (down 0.2 total from each judge). I found out the retry didn't kill me! LOL! I passed on the session that I found out I was on the day before and got great comments.

FWIW, my coach is big on fine details as well. A friend just took and passed her Adult Gold moves over and our coach was giving her detail corrections the morning of the test!. :o If the corrections are detail corrections, your coach is trying to get you at the 130% ready level not knowing if you'll skate the same in practice as test. Just try to relax and visualize a strong test.

Kim to the Max
01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks techskater :)

I'm probably just getting myself all wound up for nothing! I'm sure that whatever happens, it will happen the way it's supposed to...I appreciate the detail correction my coach has been giving me and I know that she wouldn't have me testing if I wasn't ready...

techskater
01-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Usually that's the way it is - getting yourself wound up for nothing. If you don't pass it then, you'll read the comments, make the corrections, and pass in 28 days. That's how it works. I am going to try and take my own advice on the Novice MIF test after ANs. LOL!

*JennaD*
01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Missed Resolutions:

My double salchow was really strange today...I fell on a lot of them...and my double loop was TERRIBLE...I just couldn't get up enough and kept crashing down to the ice...BUT ....

New Directions:

I GOT MY AXEL BACK!!!!!

Scarlett
01-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Had a decent skate tonight...Saw Blackmanskating at a rink I haven't skated at in ages but was so busy catching up with old friends I didn't have a chance to stop and say Hi.

New Directions:
Actually managed a couple of decent lutzes and 1 decent camel spin.
Caught up with a bunch of old friends.

Missed resolutions:
Backspins and one foot spins weren't happening tonight.
Flips were ugly.
Freestyle session was crowded.

myste12
01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Additionally, the fact that I keep having all of these little corrections from my coach...while they are a good thing, just makes me wonder if I'm ready for this test...my typical doubts!

My coach does the exact thing! As I get closer to the test, I want less corrections to protect my fragile confidence, but my coach gets even pickier... Sometimes I wonder why she even has me testing because she doesn't seem to like any of my moves the day before the test.

Try not to worry too much, as techskater said, your coach is just trying to make sure you're 130% ready.

Isk8NYC
01-19-2008, 08:28 PM
It's because you've overcome the big problems and now she's polishing your moves. Don't get crazed, just try to keep track of it.

I had a blast today at groups. I had a handful of older kids who were put into Snowplow Sam/Basic 1. They were all moving, so the director had me run them through SS1-3 for skills evaluations. Other than the stops (mediocre, but passable) they all passed, so off to Basic 2 with them next week! They were a fun group, very animated and funny. We raced and did crazy relays while running through the skills.

myste12
01-19-2008, 08:29 PM
I just had that problem with the loop jump. And it just so happens that the loop is the very first jump in my program... so what my sneaky secondary coach did was to make me practice the program all the way up to the loop jump... If I don't land it, she will stop the music and make me that whole entire beginning part leading to the loop jump again. If I land it, THEN I go on with the rest of the program. THEN to add to the challenge, I have to do that whole entire beginning again and I have to land that loop again before she will let me off the hook. If I don't land it on the second part, she stops the music and makes me do the beginning again!!! If I miss it twice and then landed it the third time, I have to do the ENTIRE program runthru again.

You better believe I started landed it BOTH times consistently soon after that!!! :lol: (And now they upped the ante and I'm supposed to do a loop-loop as the opening jump!!! They're EVILLE, I tell 'ya! EVILLE!!! :twisted: )

Anyway... might want to try that trick! See if it works for 'ya! :)

That might work... Although, I think everyone else on my sessions would get tired of listening to the first minute of my program on endless repeat... Then again, a mob of angry freestylers might be even more incentive to get that jump done...:twisted:

Sessy
01-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Missed resolutions:

DARN! A throat infection (after the flu and the bellyflu, all in 5 weeks' time) and this one I'm sitting out at home, cuz I can just feel my body being completely exhausted fighting this thing.
Which means I'm missing today's lesson, next friday's lesson I'm missing cuz of an exam, and next sunday's cuz of work.

I just messaged one of the coaches so they know what's going on cuz we'd already picked a music for my programme and stuff.

DARN! :evil:

sk8tegirl06
01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Missed Resolutions: Been out of the country for 2 weeks and haven't skated since the day we left and I won't be home for another 2 weeks. :( I think the passion for skating is back, it is the one thing I really miss from home.

New Directions: May have a chance to skate about in about a week, on rental skates but skating is skating, possibly at an indoor rink and a lake near one of the ancient palaces (if it is cold enough):D

jskater49
01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Last day of Competition

My freestyle was yesterday. I also had a funeral back home which is 3 hours away. DD was also competing yesterday. And we had a hotel for last night. Soooo I got up at 5, drove 3 hours home, did the funeral, got back in the car, drove another 3 hours, got back one hour before my comp. Actually after all that driving I was ready to get on the ice.

I did very well. I was not at all nervous. In the warm up I did two really good one foot spins with a one foot edge entry. But I picked up this weird thing with the waltz jump, I think I was trying to think about getting up on my toe but instead I stuck my toe in so it was more like a toe waltz than a waltz which I knew was wrong but I couldn't not do it. In my program the spin was rushed and not so good and I did those stupid toe waltzes but other wise I felt really good about the skate

There were three of us. One girl (there was a lot of discussion among coaches if she was truly 25) said she had never competed before and got out there and skated like a novice level skater, did a perfect toe loop, beautiful camel and layback. This is adult pre-bronze mind you. I'm like what have you been doing before deciding to compete? Surely she had been skating a long time. And my other competitor was a man who was very awkward but did mongo large jumps. I believe it was her first time because she didn't know to come get her medal and I had to hunt her down and she was like "How did I do?" Are you kidding me.? No I'm not bitter. It was just a little amusing.

I'm actually a very competitive person but when this is the situation I really feel no pressure and enjoy myself. I'd kind of like to have the opportunity to compete against people closer to my ability to see how I would handle that. But what I think happens is most people see the competition and decide not to even compete until they are closer to that level. And at this point if I continue at freestyle I'm not even interested in learning harder jumps, I just want to get better at doing what I'm doing and do a pretty program. So I guess I'm not that competative after all:)

j

techskater
01-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Are you sure the age requirement was 25 for the competition? Most are 21 now (including Nationals).

Maybe she was a synchro skater in a previous life?

tidesong
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
For saturday:

New Directions: landed a double loop infront of coach on first try for that lesson (it was the last move, end of lesson, she was like ok... shall we try a double loop before we go... and like w00t hahahah) ... think it was the first time ever too during lesson... felt pretty sureal...
managed to get the 8 rounds on my layback before changing positions for one more feature
I think i actually hit 100% of my camel-combi spins during lesson... I almost never do that. I complained to the other coach while on holiday that some of my stuff werent consistent and he said well then just make it consistent. sometimes no matter how simplistic that sounds, maybe it is right, alot of it is probably in my head. At one point i was thinking, I havent missed a camel today... maybe I'm gonna mess up this one, but I hit it anyway... so well my head wasn't right either actually lol...

missed resolutions:
back ached... alot... after doing so many long held laybacks... hopefully i'll figure someway around this... more back exercises, situps, warming up and stretching?
double loop came after a whole lot of double toe loop attempts... it worries me a little that my double toe loop attempt's timing works perfectly for my double loop... so what does that mean? should I be working on double lutzes to fix my double toe timing? lol....

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
this is for yesterday, I've been busy......:roll:
New Directions: We had our club's exhibition skate and it went very well. although it started off sort of thrown together (um, we do this every year) it came out well. No crowd showed up (as usual) even though notices were posted. Oh well. Halfway through, the sound system died....so out came the boombox and it was rigged up.

My routine was a HOOT!!!!! Everyone really enjoyed it, although I really need to "act up" more!

Missed resolutions: at one point, I skate...and land on my chair and go for a ride. I got too much momentum and it slid about 6-8 feet then started spinning!!! Had to put the brakes on!

Other than that (and the freezing cold) it was a great time had by all.

techskater
01-20-2008, 01:01 PM
For saturday:

missed resolutions:
back ached... alot... after doing so many long held laybacks... hopefully i'll figure someway around this... more back exercises, situps, warming up and stretching?
double loop came after a whole lot of double toe loop attempts... it worries me a little that my double toe loop attempt's timing works perfectly for my double loop... so what does that mean? should I be working on double lutzes to fix my double toe timing? lol....

I find that pulling the free leg up a little more helps in making the back not too achy when getting 10/5 laybacks (10 before changing positions, 5 in the "clear increase of speed" feature). Maybe that will help you as well?

I also find 2T and 2Lo have similar timing on the down-up-down. The 2T has more of a pause before the pick than being similar to the 2S for me. I work on a lot of single toes with a big pause after the three turn to get my 2T to work well.
Congrats on landing the 2Lo! I go crazy when I manage to do one in a lesson.

jskater49
01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Are you sure the age requirement was 25 for the competition? Most are 21 now (including Nationals).

Maybe she was a synchro skater in a previous life?

No it was 25 for this one - they did have an event for "young adult" which is 21. Synchro skater is a good guess...she definately has been skating a while!

j

Helen88
01-20-2008, 02:51 PM
New:
Learnt two dances today!! Foxtrot and Blues. Spirals were also okay...

Missed:
UGH!! The car broke down, had to walk up the hill to the rink, missed 15mins, balance for off for some reason, coach said she thought I hadn't practiced (I had), took two nasty falls, edges were everywhere, ice felt weird...bad day.

And now I can't remember my dances...anyone know where I can find a diagram of them or anything? Tried google, but they confused me.

Mrs Redboots
01-20-2008, 05:23 PM
New:
Learnt two dances today!! Foxtrot and Blues. Spirals were also okay...

Missed:
UGH!! The car broke down, had to walk up the hill to the rink, missed 15mins, balance for off for some reason, coach said she thought I hadn't practiced (I had), took two nasty falls, edges were everywhere, ice felt weird...bad day.

And now I can't remember my dances...anyone know where I can find a diagram of them or anything? Tried google, but they confused me.
Novice Foxtrot and Rhythm Blues? Anyway, here is a good site here (http://www.uq.net.au/%7Ezzbarneg/dancepatterns.htm).

And we all have bad, off-balance days - often connected to our cycles.

tidesong
01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I find that pulling the free leg up a little more helps in making the back not too achy when getting 10/5 laybacks (10 before changing positions, 5 in the "clear increase of speed" feature). Maybe that will help you as well?

I also find 2T and 2Lo have similar timing on the down-up-down. The 2T has more of a pause before the pick than being similar to the 2S for me. I work on a lot of single toes with a big pause after the three turn to get my 2T to work well.
Congrats on landing the 2Lo! I go crazy when I manage to do one in a lesson.

Hey what do you mean but pulling the free leg up a little more. Meaning keeping it higher?

Hey thats cool you find the timings similar too. I've tried the pause after three turn for 2T but I found that i either start bouncing (and promptly throwing my axis way off) or my free leg starts drifting way too far around after that because of the extra time I have to think so its still pretty much driving me nuts at the moment... I'll figure something out eventually though hehehe...

Thin-Ice
01-21-2008, 03:39 AM
(snip)

New Directions - tried out the new moves today, and gosh the Bronze moves are easier than the Pre-B. Must be a catch there somewhere, because I don't know why they should seem so easy. Power 3s are much easier than the 3 turn move on the Pre-B.

The "catch" is the passing standard is higher. For Pre-Bronze, which is an encouragement test, the judges want to see that you have the general idea of what you're doing and some correct edges and a little bit of power. For Bronze, they want to see you know what you're doing and doing it most of the time.

I'm discovering that same sensation after suffering through the 3s in the Field on Pre-Juve and Silver Moves. I think the Double 3s on Juvenile MIF are much easier (Hey, I'm already on the correct foot and correct edge and I don't have to hold the edges as long! :) This is much easier!! :D Oh, and you want correct posture and much better placement of turns and no subcurves???:roll: :oops: )

techskater
01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Hey what do you mean but pulling the free leg up a little more. Meaning keeping it higher?

Hey thats cool you find the timings similar too. I've tried the pause after three turn for 2T but I found that i either start bouncing (and promptly throwing my axis way off) or my free leg starts drifting way too far around after that because of the extra time I have to think so its still pretty much driving me nuts at the moment... I'll figure something out eventually though hehehe...

Yes, keeping it higher. It seems to relieve some of the pressure on my back when holding the layback.

I think about bending the skating knee and stretching back on the 2T. Seems to work as it's getting completed in the program most days...