View Full Version : What's the difference between cross-cut and straight-cut toepicks?

Sk8Dreamer
01-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Just curious. Thanks in advance to whoever can explain it!

Isk8NYC
01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Cross-cut toepicks have many sharp points in a diamond pattern, whereas straight-cut toepicks look more like steps. Many skaters think of cross-cuts as status symbols because they're less ordinary.

Whether or not cross-cuts provide the intended benefit of more secure toe-ins on toe jumps really depends more on the skater's technique. If the skater has strong toe jumps with a straight-down technique, the straight-cut toepicks are fine. I'm sure elite skaters do benefit from the design, but lower level skaters probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I see cross-cut benefit for skaters who do a lot of toe steps in their footwork. The cross-cut allows the skater to get a more secure "on toe" positions.

FYI: The K-Pick option is where additional steel is added at the sides of the toepicks to make it wider, theoretically giving the skater a better toe takeoff. Many people have remarked that the K-Pick allows poor technique to continue. (ie. incorrect toe-ins)

SkatingOnClouds
01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
I am hoping that there isn't much difference. After years in Phantoms, I am going to be changing to Ultima Freestyle. I have always felt that cross-cut picks must add some security, especially for toe-loops, where you pick sideways rather than straight back.

However, as I have decided (for a variety of reasons) to go with the Ultima Matrix system, I am going to find out in a few weeks if the difference is real of psychological.

Sessy
01-13-2008, 03:36 AM
so would the coronation ace blades count under cross cut or straight cut?

ibreakhearts66
01-13-2008, 04:14 AM
so would the coronation ace blades count under cross cut or straight cut?

cross-cut. the coronation comet, however, is straight

Sk8Dreamer
01-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Cross-cut toepicks have many sharp points in a diamond pattern, whereas straight-cut toepicks look more like steps. Many skaters think of cross-cuts as status symbols because they're less ordinary.

Whether or not cross-cuts provide the intended benefit of more secure toe-ins on toe jumps really depends more on the skater's technique. If the skater has strong toe jumps with a straight-down technique, the straight-cut toepicks are fine. I'm sure elite skaters do benefit from the design, but lower level skaters probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I see cross-cut benefit for skaters who do a lot of toe steps in their footwork. The cross-cut allows the skater to get a more secure "on toe" positions.

FYI: The K-Pick option is where additional steel is added at the sides of the toepicks to make it wider, theoretically giving the skater a better toe takeoff. Many people have remarked that the K-Pick allows poor technique to continue. (ie. incorrect toe-ins)

Thanks! I was just curious. It's all irrelevant to me, I guess, since I'm nowhere near any kind of jumping or toe positions. I'm just hoping I can survive the change from basic Wilson Excels to Majestics, with the larger, more prominent toepick (or so it feels). Sigh.

Skittl1321
01-14-2008, 10:15 AM
As a low level jumper who ended up with a pair of cross cut toe picks because they came on the used skates I bought- I actually think it makes toe jumps LESS secure.

I think to take advantage of them you need really strong picking technique (or maybe just a good skater :)). For me I feel like the pick gets less into the ice (like maybe it grips the ice it gets into better, but it doesn't go as deep?) and if I don't pick exactly right I now miss the jump, where I used to just be able to get by with whatever I did because some part of the toe pick made it into the ice, and now I think if I don't pick right the toe pick just slides across the ice.

I LOVE the way the new blades feel for stroking and turns, but not for toe jumps. They are way beyond my level though- so I won't ever be buying them- but I got a pair of skates with a nice set of blades, so I'm going to be using them :)

Sessy
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I had a similar problem with my pre-rotated, bent picking leg toeloop with the mk21 to coronation ace switch. However I somehow get the idea that it's got more to do with the placement and prominence of the toepicks than with anything else.

doubletoe
01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Actually, I think the way your toepick goes into the ice has a lot more to do with the blade's rocker shape than how the toepicks are cut. A new blade will have a rounder rocker, and if you switch types of blades, the position of the fullest part of the rocker on the blade will be different as well. With a rocker that is rounder or closer to the pick, you will need to point your toes harder in order for the pick to go into the ice. If you don't, you will slip because only the bottom pick and ball of the blade will make contact with the ice. If you've been skating on blades that have a lot of sharpenings, the rocker will be flatter and you won't have to point as hard when you pick. One way of compensating when switching to a rounder rocker would be to bend the picking knee so that the toe faces down to the ice, but the better way is to just point the toes harder.

Skittl1321
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Interesting- thanks for the explanation.

I have no idea how the blades I have rocker compare to the old blades I have. They are a completley different blade- but they came to me well used, my coach just told me they have plenty of life left in them.

When I can get back on the ice, I'll really work on toe point for my picking, and maybe I won't hate the cross cut so much.

skatrgrl
01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I am still confused about the effectiveness of different kinds of blades. I have straight cut toe picks on my blades, but apparently higher level blades have k-picks and cross cuts and rounded toe picks. What difference do these blades make in skating moves? Thanks. I'm just curious..

skatrgrl
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
whoops. never mind. i should have read before posting

Summerkid710
01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I've skated in 7 foot radius cross cut blades (MK Phantom) and 8 foot radius straight cut (Paramount) blades. I couldn't really tell the difference on my pick jumps (all singles). I do know that I like 7 foot radius blades better though. I am also a coach and don't do a lot of jumping anymore.

Gareth
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
i took this from the john watts skates website:

Cross-cut teeth will provide a skater with less grip on toe jumps and footwork. The reason for this is that when the toe rake is placed into the ice, the small teeth are unable to grip with the same effect as clean cut teeth. Our Classic blade has cross-cut teeth because it is designed for the novice skater who will not be travelling as fast and will not want tremendous grip during the early stages of technical development . The other blade that features cross-cut teeth is the Evolution. The reason for this is that the unique protruding picks on this blade produce so much grip that there would be insufficient time to transfer body weight without the cross-cut teeth at the top of the toe rake.

skatrgrl
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I've always thought cross-cuts provide more grip on jumps, but this site apparently proved the contrary!