View Full Version : Skating and Bronchitis

kander
01-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I just found out today that I have a touch of Bronchitis. The doctor recommended resting at home for a couple of days. I'll go skating anyways, but I was wondering if excercise is actually bad for bronchitis. I'd think that it would help clear you lungs.

Kevin

phoenix
01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
In my experience skating always prolongs a cough. I've learned the hard way to stay out of the rink until it's subsided for the most part. YMMV.

I also believe it's the cold, moist air, not the exercise, that is the culprit.

SkatingOnClouds
01-12-2008, 01:39 AM
I have often found the opposite to the previous poster. Skating often seems to help a cough.
Not sure whether some sort of coughs respond well to the moisture, but I do think that the exertion helps clear the lungs out - which may make you cough more initially, of course.

My suggestion would be to try it. If it feels worse, stop doing it until you are better. If it feels better, keep doing it, but gently. After all, your body is working hard to clear an infection and you aren't likely to have much energy.

jazzpants
01-12-2008, 02:06 AM
If you are going (knowing how badly you have AOSS, since I definitely have the same problem), bundle up and have PLENTY of fluids on hand!!! I would get a cup of hot tea at Starbucks or wherever to help loosen the phlegm too!

I don't know. I had the bug and I'm still recovering from it to a certain point, but during the skate, I do NOT cough! I actually feel better! Go figure!

But YMMV.

Sessy
01-12-2008, 04:36 AM
I have often found the opposite to the previous poster. Skating often seems to help a cough.
Not sure whether some sort of coughs respond well to the moisture, but I do think that the exertion helps clear the lungs out - which may make you cough more initially, of course.

That's my experience too, though my experience is that any heavy exercise (including the gym) will help you conquer a disease of that kind, I also like to steam afterwards though and get lots of shawl around your neck and chest (both from the front and the back!)
You don't want a lung infection out of it so keep it warm.

jwrnsktr
01-12-2008, 06:37 AM
I always found that working out, including skating, helped me feel better, breathe more deeply, and colds and coughs just are not prolonged. There's nothing worse, in my book, than sitting home, "waiting" to get better. If, however, you find yourself short of breath, or unable to catch your breath, well then, maybe you have more than a "touch of bronchitis." In that case, I'd probably follow doctor's orders. This - from a nurse!

sue123
01-12-2008, 07:08 AM
My problem whenever I have bronchitis is that I can't breathe very well. Exercise is not going to help that, it just makes it even harder to breathe. I also have asthma, which acts up when I have bronchitis, but bronchitis and exercising, you'd probably have to call an ambulance.

Skate@Delaware
01-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I think it's an individual thing as well. I can skate with an upper respiratory infection as long as I don't have a blazing fever-in that case I'm home in bed. I use my inhaler about 1-2 hours BEFORE hitting the ice, just so my airway doesn't start closing up. Plenty of fluids, breaks, and nothing very strenuous. I would only skate if I had show rehearsal (mandatory), lesson, or a skating comp approaching soon.

herniated
01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
One of my doctor's tells me not to skate with a sinus infection OR especially bronchitis because from breathing so deeply when skating it forces all the mucus deeper into the lung. BUT... I do skate at times with these conditions, :oops: he,he,he and while I'm skating I feel MUUUCCHHH better. But I pay after and eventually have to take antibiotics.. rest.. which means no skating. Then again that's my experience!

Hannahclear
01-12-2008, 02:45 PM
My coach says that if the cold is in your nose, it's fine to skate. But if it's down in your lungs, you need to be careful and rest.

I had a very bad cold last year and a severe cough. When I finally got back to the rink, a simple stroking pattern was enough to have me doubled over hacking. Finally, I got an inhaler for a couple of weeks.

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Isn't the rule for exercise that if it's above the neck, fine to exercise as you feel able, but if it's in your chest, rest until it clears up? Mind you, you didn't see me last week.....

coskater64
01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I skate with a cold all the time but, I wouldn't skate with bronchitus, if your body needs to rest it should rest. The again why wouldn't you follow your doctors advice? I would also never skate with a fever, that is your body telling you...you need to rest. :halo: :halo:

kimberley801
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Bronchitis is a beast! I had a bad case of it a couple of summer ago, and my coughing now (even with a minor sinus congestion) is horrid!

Anyways, You should really try to rest. Maybe as you get better and the illness isn't so much in your lungs you could try it. I tend to agree with a previous post that if the cold is in your nose, it's OK, but rest if your illness is in the lungs.

kander
01-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I skated today and I don't feel any ill effects. I haven't had a fever so I feel fine on the ice. I think I made it much worse by going to Vegas for 3 days and getting about 3 hours of sleep a night 8O Bowling at midnight and going to bed at 4 or 5 am is not a good way to get healthy :)

I just started antibiotics and an inhaler so we'll see how that goes. I was just looking at WebMd and it said if you still have a cough after having a cold for over 2 weeks you should see a doctor. I've had it for about a month and a half.