View Full Version : Pre-Bronze Test

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
If anyone has any tips on completing the Pre-Bronze test I am all ears. I know it varies rink-by-rink as to what the judges are looking for, but I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with it. This is the first skating test I have ever taken and I am nervous about it. I have competed once as well in adult basic 2, but I shook nervously all the way through it, which is why it still blows my mind that I took first in both events.

Isk8NYC
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
There are variations, so go watch a test session or two before it's your turn, just so you know how the tests run, watch others skate the test, discover what the judges are looking for, etc. (It's really great to sit near a coach that's willing to explain things.)

I know some people don't have that luxury because of limited ice, time, test sessions. If it's an option for you, take advantage of it - it's a great learning experience.

My next-best tips are:

Smile and try to relax.
Skate with your head up at all times, looking where you're going, not down at the ice.
Point your toes and bend your knees while you extend your limbs.
Memorize the order of elements based on the judges test sheets.
At every practice, step on the ice and do the moves right away as if you were actually testing then and there.
Practice moving from one element to the next gracefully, as if you're doing a presentation. (Think Vanna White, lol!)
Realize that you're being viewed at all times, so don't lapse into poor posture or toe pushes before, during, between, or after the test.
Practice in your actual testing clothes at least twice before the test, so you know they'll be comfortable and not distracting.Good luck!

daisies
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Are you asking about the moves test or the FS test?

Skittl1321
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the moves test- since you say it's your first test. (If you are worried about PB Free- don't, if you can do the elements it's easy-peasy. I went in without a coach, no problems- and I have the world's WORST test anxiety).

First- realize that for Pre Bronze tests they WANT to pass you. No one wants to tell someone on their very first test it wasn't good enough. So the judges are going to be very generous. If your coach thinks you're good enough for the test, you probably are.

Second- if you are anything like me, be OVER prepared for the test. I could skate the PB MITF in my sleep by the time I tested, but my test was a disaster. I was shaking so badly I put my foot down on a backward edge because I was about to fall over. I've never fallen on an edge (it doesn't appear the judge saw me). I skated 1.5 figure 8 backward crossovers (I had to reskate the finish the pattern- my reskate was better than my test- which is a good thing). I left the ice holding back tears. I have never skated so poorly in my life Even after my coach told me I passed- I was still upset with myself.

That's right- I passed. My worst skate ever and I passed. I owe that solely to the fact that my worst skate was better than what the minimal expectation is on this "encouragement" test.

So, in my opinion, if you can do the moves- and you can always do the moves, you're going to be fine. If your coach is experienced, he/she won't let you test until you're ready. When they say they are ready, trust that you can do it!

And since you have experience skating with that nervous shake- maybe you'll be used to it :) (My coach makes us show our tests to other skaters so we are used to being watched- but it is NOT the same. Watched and judged are totally different!)

My full test is on youtube, if you'd like to see them.

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks, all the replies help. I am talking about the Moves test, although, I could probably pass the FS test better at this point. My coach is very young (21), is a dancer, and has never had a student test Pre-Bronze before, so I am not sure what to think. I am practicing every day, but I know I still need work on the waltz 8 and the 3 turn pattern. There are no other tests coming up before then, so I will not have the opportunity to watch someone else. If I do fail, there is another test about a month and 1/2 later, so I will get another chance, but I would like to pass the first time.

dbny
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
In addition to Isk8NYC's excellent points, I would add that if you do make a mistake, keep going exactly as if you did not. As Skittl1321 related, judges do not see every little thing. A blink or a sneeze can save a test, but if you look downhearted or stop, you will have given away the fact that you made an error and may be asked to reskate for that reason alone. Also, when given a choice of which foot/side to begin on, choose your best, as many times, judges will make up their minds from their first impression and not pay such close attention thereafter.

Bill_S
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
... Also, when given a choice of which foot/side to begin on, choose your best, as many times, judges will make up their minds from their first impression and not pay such close attention thereafter.

But do pay attention to the order of the test elements listed on the judges' score sheet. I tested without a coach, and started doing the test elements at random. The judges called me over and explained the order in which the elements should be tested. They were friendly about it, but it caught me off-guard.

GordonSk8erBoi
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
In addition to Isk8NYC's excellent points, I would add that if you do make a mistake, keep going exactly as if you did not. As Skittl1321 related, judges do not see every little thing. A blink or a sneeze can save a test, but if you look downhearted or stop, you will have given away the fact that you made an error and may be asked to reskate for that reason alone. Also, when given a choice of which foot/side to begin on, choose your best, as many times, judges will make up their minds from their first impression and not pay such close attention thereafter.

I disagree with this last bit of advice and so does my coach. I think it's better to do your bad foot/side first so that you finish strong and you have the "good" side to look forward to. I guess everyone's different though.

dbny
01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I disagree with this last bit of advice and so does my coach. I think it's better to do your bad foot/side first so that you finish strong and you have the "good" side to look forward to. I guess everyone's different though.

Maybe if you knew the judges' habits?

Skittl1321
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM

My coach tells me to always start the "normal" way first- which because I'm a clockwise skater means my bad side always comes first. I always thought this was because he wanted a strong finish, but I finally had a conversation with him and it turns out he once had a skater fail a test because the judge marked that she did the same side twice. It was taped though, and the skater clearly didn't do the same side twice- - she did left foot side first than right foot side. The judge must have been so used to seeing the test in the right foot then left foot order, that when they saw it ended on the right foot- the judge must have assumed she did the same thing twice.

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 07:04 PM
This is a lot of good advice. As far as the start on the edges, I have been practicing leading with my right side, so I am going to stay with that so I don't get overwhelmed and forget what I am doing. I guess I will have to make a list to bring with me so I don't forget the order.

My coach always tells me not to wince when I do something wrong and to keep going no matter what...I have to work on that. I did OK during the competition, so maybe when the heat is on I can manage it.

jskater49
01-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Another side to this debate that I was told by a judge...if starting with your best side requires doing something different --like if I wanted to start the power 3s with my left rather than right foot, it would require starting a different direction than most start - some judges will notice that and say "why are they doing that --are they trying to disquise a flaw" and will look more closely.

So I try not do anything too different than what everyone else does.

j

techskater
01-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Hm, my coach is big on doing the bad side first on a bi-directional element. So on the intermediate MIF test, I did the CCW forward power circles first (CW skater), the CW backward power circles, and the CCW power threes all first. The brackets she wanted the best set right in front of the judges and the weakest the furthest away on the other side. Working on the Novice, my order is working out the same way.

Thin-Ice
01-14-2008, 03:23 AM
When I judge PB moves tests, I watch for toe-pushing, posture and correct edges. I actually like judging these tests, because PB is the first testing experience. I know first-time testers are nervous, but the judges really DO want you to pass.

Do you feel confident about all the moves? Do you have other adults who can critique you? Can you have someone video you so you can see what you look like?

I like to see a skater who knows what the elements are and what the focus of the element is. For example, on the waltz-8, I'd LOVE to see someone who actually can make the thirds of the circle look like thirds, not scrape the 3-turns and the circles are round. But I'll pass someone even if the circles are a bit oval, one of the 3s makes a loud scraping sound and the 3-turn comes close to count 4 on the first third, the step down is closer to 5-1/2 than to six, the top of the curve is kind of flat, and the last "third" is less than half the circle. I will also write LOTS of notes about all the things that need improvement before taking the Bronze MIF test. But also I do want to see at least one element that is really strong to make up for all those things that need improvement.

For the 3-turn pattern, I'd like to see all the turns of equal size and close to the same distance away from the long axis on each side. I've yet to see a test like that... but if the skater at least seems conscious that the pattern should look the same on both sides and is striving for it, I'll pass the test.

I don't expect to see a lot of pwer, but want to see some knee bend and the correct use of edges (most of the time.. one or two slight toe pushes won't kill the test for me).

If you can practice warming up for 5 minutes, then going out and doing this test with someone watching, it may help you get through the test without too much extra nervousness. And one of the previous posters is correct, having friends or other coaches watch is not the same as being judged, but it helps. Do you know any judges? Does your coach? Can you have one of them come down and critique you before you actually test? Before you test, get to the point where you can do the elements in your sleep, if you have a cold, the ice is soft or too brittle or even if there's someone else on the ice with you doing different elements (in case they have you test when a Pre-Pre test is also being conducted). If you can do that, then just paste a smile on your face, hold your head and shoulders up and show them what you can do. If all that fails, FAKE being confident. It works for the Junior and Senior skaters, it can work for you.

When you do the actual test, the judges are looking at everything you do out there. They're trying to get a sense of how you skate overall. And if you do something less perfectly than you do in practice (highly likely!), remember, you are doing the best you can at that particular moment. If you mess up something, don't worry about it and let it mess up anything else. You can always be asked to reskate one element if that's all the judges think stands between you and a pass. The overall sense of how well you're doing is what usually decides if this test passes or not. If the judges think you're pretty good at most of the elements, they should pass you.

And if you forget what element comes next (but not how to DO an element), you can always skate over to the judges, confess to brain fade and ask them what comes next. I've found this sometimes is a tension breaker. It also makes you realize the judges are human too. Most of them will just smile or chuckle and tell you what comes next (the formal name.. which can be a problem if your coach has different names for each element).

I took a MIF test where I couldn't remember the order of elements (and this was when I was trial judging, so I KNEW all these people and knew they were all really serious judges and what they were looking for, knew that they knew me as "one of those people who wants to judge but isn't there yet" and was afraid they would think "and she can't even skate". I guess you could say they really intimidated me, since I didn't have what I'd call a warm relationship with them at that time). I was really embarassed that I couldn't remember what the test order was and had to go back TWICE to ask what came next. I just told them my brain had frozen. One of them sort of smiled, the Judge in charge told me what was next, and I managed to make my way through it. About four months later, I had become an official judge and two of those judges teased me about how nervous I was that day. Turns out they didn't smile, because they didn't want to laugh or seem unsympathetic because they could see just how nervous I was.

Good luck!

Lisa M.
01-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks. That really helps. I was practicing the 3 turn pattern this morning and my 3turns are really flat on one side, so I am not ready yet, either that or I am over-syching myself. My watlz 8 should pass, and my forward edges would definitely pass. My crossover pattern is also really good. I need to work some on the back edges, but for the most part, I think I am just letting myself get overwhelmed. I will relax a bit, I should do better. I made a lot of progress this week over all skating (passed FS1, got my scratch spin up to 6 revs, started my back spin, and landed my salchow all in one day). I am happy. I love to skate, so I will press on. I really do appreciate all of the great advice, especially from the judges point of view. 8-)