View Full Version : Salchow Help?!?

Lisa M.
01-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I need some help on my Salchow. I finish the 3turn which I check pretty well, but I have a problem dragging the toepick as I bring my leg through for the jump. Dragging the toepick slows me down and I pivot around it, making it very hard to jump. I don't know why I do this. I know I am leaning forward a little as well, but I can't seem to correct it. Anyone have any tips?

dbny
01-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I need some help on my Salchow. I finish the 3turn which I check pretty well, but I have a problem dragging the toepick as I bring my leg through for the jump. Dragging the toepick slows me down and I pivot around it, making it very hard to jump. I don't know why I do this. I know I am leaning forward a little as well, but I can't seem to correct it. Anyone have any tips?

Leaning forward is what's doing it. This post would get more replies in the On Ice - Skaters (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16) forum. Maybe a kind mod will move it for you.

Isk8NYC
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Thread moved!

Welcome to skatingforums.com!

peanutskates
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
this might help: bring your free leg through with the foot sideways - toepick facing out. this will keep it straight and less likely to dig in.

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the tip. This morning I worked only on the 3 turn into the jump, and I think it is much improved. I was able to correct my weight/balance somewhat. Tomorrow I will attempt the full jump.

Isk8NYC
01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I prefer the Bent-Knee-Through free leg, but if it works, don't fix it.

Straighten out your three turn so that you don't drop your free hip.
If you've checked the edge properly, that'll probably stop the toepick scrape.

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks. My coach was helping me this morning (3 turn session). Lately I have been dedicating sessions to just 3 turns and crossovers, getting ready to test pre-bronze in March, but I want to compete the Salchow in June, so I am trying to correct that along the way.

doubletoe
01-11-2008, 05:36 PM
It sounds like a timing problem and it also sounds like you might be swinging your leg a little too much and not jumping with your takeoff foot quite enough. Here are a few things to focus on:
1) Keep your back straight and arched a little, so your chest is over your takeoff knee on the LBI takeoff edge. Try to feel like you are balanced squarely over your hips.
2) Hold the 3-turn exit for the same length of time as the 3-turn entry, but keep the free leg back until you are almost ready to take off. Then do a deep ankle bend, pressing the ball of the foot into the ice. This is when you start to bring the free leg to the front, so that the free leg is directly alongside the takeoff foot ("squared") as you leave the ice. My timing is: "1-2-3" (3-turn entry), "back, ankle, up!"(3-turn exit & takeoff)
3) If you suspect it might be a problem with control/check of the 3-turn (which is very common), focus on keeping your left arm in front of you on the 3-turn exit and keep it in front of you as you actually take off.

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
This is all really great advice. I think maybe tomorrow, I will spend a little more time on just the 3 turn entrance. It seems to be the most important part of the jump. My coach this morning said he wants me to keep my free leg extended throughout the 3 turn. I will try and be really aware of where my free leg and my arms end up after the turn.

Lisa M.
01-12-2008, 02:57 PM
This morning I landed my Salchow! The jumps are not very high, but I definitely landed it about 8-9 times. Bringing my free leg and arm through together helped a lot.

doubletoe
01-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Yay!!!! :D :bow:

Lisa M.
01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Now for the Loop...:lol: