View Full Version : What got you into the Discipline(s) you do,and the Discipline(s) your a fan of?

FSWer
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok Kids!!!!! I would love to know what got all our On Ice Skaters here into the Discipline(s) they do,and the Discipline(s) there a fan of as well. For me. As a Learn to Skate Skater. I'd say that you ALL imspired me to become a skater. As far as being a fan of the Disciplines I love. Synchro.,Pairs,and Dance. For Pairs and Dance,I'd say seeing it on TV. and pics of it on the Internet. As well as both being so attractive,etc. For Synchro. just simplely seeing it live and knowing a mother and Synchro. Skater. Ok Kids.....GO!!!!!!

jskater49
01-10-2008, 08:42 AM
When I started skating 10 years or so ago, where I was there was a strong dance program and I was told "adults do dance" so I did dance. It wasn't until I started reading on the internet that I discovered there were adults doing freestyle.

But I really had no desire to do freestyle until I moved and there were no dance coaches so I kind of got into freestyle because after awhile moves gets boring.

j

SynchroSk8r114
01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Intermediate level of freestyle - done for 13 years
My main focus as a kid (beginning skater). I liked to jump and spin and be like the people on TV. I was always jumping and spinning on our hardwood kitchen floors as a kid (and probably drove my mom nuts, LOL!) To me, this was what skating was all about, so I started freestyling straight out of my USFSA group lessons.

Passed Senior MIF three years ago - done for 10 years
Although I originally began with figures, which I loved more than freestyle, they were on their way out and being replaced by MIF. It only seemed natural that I focus on moves, at the advice of my coach. I hated moves as a kid, but now that I passed them all and don't have to work on them anymore, I love them. In fact, they're my favorite thing to teach as a coach.

Gold dances - done for 10 years
I've been dancing for about ten years. I focused less on them a few years ago when I was working hard to pass my Senior MIF; now they're replaced my focus on MIF since I'm done with those. While I danced as a younger kid passing through the Pre-Silvers, I started up seriously again about a year ago and within 9 months, I've passed all my Silvers and Pre-Golds. I'm working on my Golds now and looking to test my first one - the Viennese - in the next few weeks. I hope to be done with them by the end of summer, at the latest, and I'm considering trying a few Internationals once I get done.

Open collegiate synchronized skating - 2 years
My university started a synchro team last October, which I am the Vice-President of. I never did synchro as a kid because the sport just wasn't developing in my area until recently, perhaps the last 5 years. Also, because of my passing my Senior MIF level and my age, I was not eligible to compete on the only other teams my rink has - Preliminary and Intermediate. Still, synchro looked neat plus the opportunity to travel and learn a whole new discipline within skating was too good to pass up, so I joined the team and love every minute of it.