View Full Version : Patch Blades (School Figures)

Clarice
01-08-2008, 09:25 PM
So I have survived my first two days in my new patch blades, but I find these things seriously scary! I can tell they're really going to help improve my skating, though, because they pretty much give me two choices: a) do it right, or b) die. That missing bottom toe pick sure makes a big difference! I would have pitched forward on my face a couple of times if my coach hadn't caught me! Today my circle eights were almost as good as they had been on my freestyle blades, and my pushoffs were actually better. I came equipped with knee pads and wrist guards - didn't need 'em, but sure felt a lot better with them on. I did my forward edges, and tried some shallow back insides, but have been too chicken for back outsides yet. I did three turns at the wall, and a few tentative ones off the wall. No way am I ready for waltz eights yet, though! I think I'm going to take my Preliminary Figures test in my freestyle blades, and use these all the time when I work on the First Figure Test. Anybody else who uses patch blades - how long did it take you to adjust?

saras
01-08-2008, 10:02 PM
So I have survived my first two days in my new patch blades, but I find these things seriously scary! I can tell they're really going to help improve my skating, though, because they pretty much give me two choices: a) do it right, or b) die. That missing bottom toe pick sure makes a big difference! I would have pitched forward on my face a couple of times if my coach hadn't caught me! Today my circle eights were almost as good as they had been on my freestyle blades, and my pushoffs were actually better. I came equipped with knee pads and wrist guards - didn't need 'em, but sure felt a lot better with them on. I did my forward edges, and tried some shallow back insides, but have been too chicken for back outsides yet. I did three turns at the wall, and a few tentative ones off the wall. No way am I ready for waltz eights yet, though! I think I'm going to take my Preliminary Figures test in my freestyle blades, and use these all the time when I work on the First Figure Test. Anybody else who uses patch blades - how long did it take you to adjust?

It won't take you too long - In your shoes, I'd skate in them for a bit every session you do - even 10 or 15 minutes will make a big difference. They're scary b/c they're so flat - but you should adjust in not too much time. I would guess in a week or two you'll be fine. Any new blade is just plain weird to get used to - even switch FS blades can be weird. I switched boots (to Jackson hinged proflex boots) and to an entirely different blade a little over a year ago - and I swear, getting used to the blade was harder than the boot I think LOL. It felt like I had had a double foot transplant - my feet were totally unfamiliar on the ice!

The toepick part is totally not a problem once you're used to them. And the flat blades - you get very good at getting your weight in exactly the right place to skate an edge - and that totally helps all other areas of your skating.

manleywoman
01-09-2008, 09:40 AM
saras is correct. You should adjust pretty quickly. Have fun!

myste12
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a pair of figure blades that I plan on using once I pass my senior moves (hopefully by the end of summer). I've only tried them out once, and I could barely move! I had the same missing toepick problem. Apparently I toe-push more than I realize. I think they may need to be sharpened as well since every time I try to do a forward edge, my heel slides out sideways.8O

Good luck with yours, and let me know if you have any tips for adjusting!

coskater64
01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I am just going to modify a pair of old pattern 99 k picks, even though it could take a while to get rid of that bottom toe pick.

:P

Isk8NYC
01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I am just going to modify a pair of old pattern 99 k picks, even though it could take a while to get rid of that bottom toe pick.Going "old school" huh? I had the same thought last week about my ancient Pattern 99's. (Pre-K-pick)

Isn't that what the elite coaches used to do to their students' blades - shave off that bottom toepick?

icedancer2
01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Going "old school" huh? I had the same thought last week about my ancient Pattern 99's. (Pre-K-pick)

Isn't that what the elite coaches used to do to their students' blades - shave off that bottom toepick?

That is exactly what they used to do.

Which is why I think it's fine to do figures in dance blades - the bottom pick is round...

But yeah, they are short, LOL!!

coskater64
01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
We decided to use a blade I was familiar with...still a bit weak and not even back to my dance blades so...had an extra pair of old k picks, might as well. I have a good blade sharpener, and she hate my k picks so I think this will give her a good release.:halo:

saras
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
That is exactly what they used to do.

Which is why I think it's fine to do figures in dance blades - the bottom pick is round...

But yeah, they are short, LOL!!

converting blades is a fine idea - folks do it all the time. The main difference between patch blades and others is not only the toepick, but the flatness of the hollow. My FS blades have a 7/16 hollow (I think), my patch blades have a 2 inch hollow (although they had a 1.5 inch hollow until I started working on my third test a while ago - a somewhat deeper hollow is fine for the lower tests).

The main reason for the flatness is to not get "flats" in your tracings. With a flatter grind, the blade doesn't sink into the ice as much as you skate on an edge, so you don't get the other edge of the blade touching the ice as easily. Of course, that said, much of not getting flats has to do with technique not with the blade. BUT - my understanding is that dance blades tend to have a deeper hollow than FS blades even - so their grind (hollow) isn't idea for skating figures.

That said, I'm the last one to say that doing patch is "wrong" in any particular blade. You can still get a lot out of it - flat tracings be damned LOL.

There's also a difference in the rocker shape - any experienced blade guru should be able to convert it.

As hard as it is to get used to not having the toepick, IMO it's the least "functional" difference between patch and FS blades - I mean, in terms of what tracings you make on the ice, the toepick doesn't matter much - certainly until you get to doing loops etc. My FS coach can still whip out perfectly beautiful and test-worthy loops in her FS blades - it scares the crap out of me to try though in my FS blades - I'll do it and make them bigger than they should be but the toepicks scare me LOL.

Sara

icedancer2
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah - you are probably right - I am still trying to do the lower-level figures... and having a problem with that BI3 in my dance blades - I'm actually in the process of putting on another pair of longer dance blades to see if it will help with that figure plus some of the other things that I am having trouble with... we shall see.

I bought a pair of figure blades a couple of years ago on ebay with the intention of using them on my old boots for figures. I got frustrated and the old boots which killed my feet and so I went back to the dance blades - I would like to some day get some old boots to put the figure blades on... my next choice would be to get an old pair of freestyle blades, shave off the bottom pick and put a figure grind on them.

I don't have that much problem with flats, though - that is all technique... ???

In the meantime I am lending those figure blades to another skater who wants to do the high-level figures at PCAS so they have some usefullness...:yum:

AgnesNitt
05-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I took up skating last year at 55. Jumps not ever gonna happen, so I decided to do figures .

I was wondering what people do for patch blades since they're not manufactured anymore. I've read that patch blades can be made by grinding off the lower toepick from a pair of freestyle blades, but I didn't know what people actually do in practice.

If you skate figures do you favor a particular blade? I was looking at the coronation comet as that used to be manufactured as a test blade and I thought it would have the correct rocker for figures (even though the toepick would need to be modified). Anybody have preferences?

And what about boots? Do dance boots do better because they allow flexibility, or will I need the stiffness of a regular boot? So many questions.

Clarice
05-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I bought a pair of patch blades at Rainbo Sports near Chicago. They have some back in the store room, even though they're not listed in the catalogue. It's a bit hit-or-miss in terms of what sizes are available, though. You might call skate shops and ask whether they have any old stock on hand. I mounted them on an old pair of freestyle boots, because that's what I had. So far, so good. I can't remember what make of blade I have, though, and my patch skates are at the rink so I can't check right now.

I passed my Preliminary Figures test this winter. The judge suggested I stay in my freestyle blades for awhile though. I'm not sure why - I'll have to ask him when I see him next. Since I'm forced to practice on (relatively empty) public sessions or freestyles, I do feel a lot more secure in my freestyle blades. I have to be able to stop suddenly or move quickly to get out of the way of other skaters. Not an ideal situation by any means, but it's all that's available. I do plan on practicing in the patch blades on the early morning session (the quietest one), because I like the way they force me to get over the correct part of the blade. I tend to get too far forward otherwise.

I also taped a marker to my scribe, so I can draw my practice circles with black lines. It's too hard to see the tracings after a bunch of people have skated through my patch. Can't really expect them not to - it's not a proper patch session, after all. I'm currently the only person at my rink doing figures, but I'm generating quite a bit of interest, so I may have some folks joining me yet!

Isk8NYC
05-10-2008, 10:45 PM
There are a few threads in the Trading Post forum about scribes and figure blades. While they don't make them, some people must have held onto old stock and are now selling them off. I picked up a pair of brand-new, mint in the box, MK Silver Test blades earlier this year for under $75. MSRP was $180.

I went old-school for the boots - an old pair of freestyle boots that were broken down.

I remember people saying that they would have their freestyle blades sharpened specially for Patch. It did include cutting down the bottom toe pick. They also sharpened with a different ROH - my pro shop guy recommended 1.5" I think.

Wasn't someone putting together a School Figures site? There's a thread on this board with tons of great information.
I'll merge the threads together so we can continue the discussion.

Here is the link to some Figures info from the Reference Links Sticky.
http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=348291&postcount=19

manleywoman
05-11-2008, 12:35 AM
There are a few threads in the Trading Post forum about scribes and figure blades. While they don't make them, some people must have held onto old stock and are now selling them off. I picked up a pair of brand-new, mint in the box, MK Silver Test blades earlier this year for under $75. MSRP was $180.

I went old-school for the boots - an old pair of freestyle boots that were broken down.

I got some Silver Test blades for $20 from Cyclone Taylor sports. They were happy to be rid of them! And i also use an old pair of freestyle boots.

Rainbo definately has patch blades in stock.

Isk8NYC
05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Do you have to call and ask for pricing/stock? I don't remember seeing them on the website.

coskater64
05-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Well for those of you who want to do figures we have added several figure events to our competiton in CO. Colorado champs, Aug 7-9 (http://www.mhfsa.org)

I have found 1 1/2" sharpening working well on my old K-pics, unfortunately I still have the pick but it doesn't seem to get in the way.

:D

manleywoman
05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Do you have to call and ask for pricing/stock? I don't remember seeing them on the website.

Yes. They wouldn't be listed on their sites, so call and specifically ask for them. Same with Scribes.

techskater
05-11-2008, 04:49 PM
There is now specific patch ice on the schedule for the Highland Park ice arena (in Chicago suburbs) on T and Th morning at 6am if anyone is interested.

Isk8NYC
05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes. They wouldn't be listed on their sites, so call and specifically ask for them. Same with Scribes.
Thank you so much - too late for me, but that's great advice for others.

manleywoman
05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
There is now specific patch ice on the schedule for the Highland Park ice arena (in Chicago suburbs) on T and Th morning at 6am if anyone is interested.

Good to know!

GordonSk8erBoi
05-12-2008, 01:04 PM
There was an announcement a while back that the Oregon Skating Council is going to sponsor an all-figures competition next summer in Portland.

AgnesNitt
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I emailed Rainbo Sports and they did have both the Silver Test and Coronation Comet Test in 9 1/4. I took the Silver Test. I was told that the last scribe was sold several years ago.

I think I've found a scribe, but it's from an individual.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

icedancer2
05-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I emailed Rainbo Sports and they did have both the Silver Test and Coronation Comet Test in 9 1/4. I took the Silver Test. I was told that the last scribe was sold several years ago.

How much did you pay for them? You can PM me.

thanks.