View Full Version : Dress color advice?

stacyf419
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone-
I'm skating in my first freestyle competition in March to a Celtic/Rock jig - high energy, with lots of fiddle and drum. I've been looking for a dress, and have had limited success with finding something green. I was wondering if another color would also suit this type of music? Any thoughts? Or should I stick with green?
Thanks much in advance!

TreSk8sAZ
01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Where have you been looking? Most of the dressmakers (Sharene, GK, etc.) usually have a wide variety of colors for each dress. Also, have you looked on eBay? They have some good dresses.

Other colors you could look for might be black/gold (more gold than black), white and green, possibly a blue or purple. As long as the style and crystalling match the type of music, the color doesn't have to be absolutely perfect (try finding a plain dress and crystal yourself if you know how, that will save you some money and you could do some Celtic designs with the crystals, maybe, if you can't find the green you want).

Good luck!

stacyf419
01-07-2008, 02:28 PM
My problem is that I'm looking for something with sleeves (my adult arms aren't as tight as they used to be!) and something already beaded/crystalled since I've never done it before. I've found a few greens, but I was wondering if a deep wine color or maybe even black with green crystals would be appropriate.
I think I'm just hitting a blank with what a 'celtic' dress should look like, without looking like a leprechaun.

jenlyon60
01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Del Arbour definitely has a couple of dress styles that would work for what you are wanting. Check under "custom" for C8, C13, C14. They will even stone the dress for you for added cost (above the cost of the basic dress).

The other possibility is to get a plain dress and see if there's a rink mom at your rink who can stone the dress to be "Celtic" for a small fee. Usually there's at least one rink mom at every rink who has a Bejeweler and a stash of hot-fix Swarovski stones.

Isk8NYC
01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
A dark jewel green or black sounds good to me, but I'm not partial to reds myself. I remember that the Riverdance show on Broadway had a lot of black costumes. What about attaching a sequined green scarf/sash to a black dress if you wanted color? Just make sure it can't come loose or get in your way - dress rehearsals are mandatory.

fsk8r
01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Have you tried looking at some of the irish dancing dresses that there are on the web to get an idea of what colours they use? They're very intricate and brightly coloured from what I remember (I found them whilst looking for dance dresses), that might give you some ideas as to what would go with the music. And Irish doesn't have to be green. Orange is a very Irish colour as well (think flag colours).

stacyf419
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm definitely leaning towards dark green or black with green. It's slimming as well, and with my curvy top half that's important! (along with the ability to wear a decent bra underneath - hence my bit of difficulty in finding a dress, period)

Thanks for the Del Arbour site advice, as well - I hadn't realized that I could customize designs like that. I'll play around with some combinations.

I will also ask some of my rink moms about beading. I have such a pretty black velvet dress already, but it's completely plain and would really wash out on the ice. I wish I knew how to do it myself!

stacyf419
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Have you tried looking at some of the irish dancing dresses that there are on the web to get an idea of what colours they use? They're very intricate and brightly coloured from what I remember (I found them whilst looking for dance dresses), that might give you some ideas as to what would go with the music. And Irish doesn't have to be green. Orange is a very Irish colour as well (think flag colours).

Ahhh, I've been skipping the 'dance dress' sections. I will absolutely take a look - thank you!

ETA - I think I misunderstood your post. Did you mean dresses for irish dancing? Not ice dance dresses with irish theme? I think I typed back too fast!

Debbie S
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
I second the recommendation of Del Arbour. I got a customized dress, based on a specific style but with a color that wasn't available in stock. It came pretty quickly (3-4 weeks, I think) and fit fine. The only problem was that the elastic around the neckline was a bit tight, but I talked to them and they said they could put a looser piece in, so I sent it back and they did it in about 3 days. And they didn't charge shipping to mail it back to me.

You might want to order a stock dress in the style you want to try on for size, though, since skating dress sizing is usually a bit different than clothing sizing. And (as I found out) lycra is a bit tighter than velvet (it doesn't have as much stretch) - so if you try on a dress for size that's in velvet and you're ordering one in lycra, keep that in mind.

littlekateskate
01-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I sent you a private message. I tend to forget to check them so i just thouhght i would post so you could check :)

stacyf419
01-07-2008, 03:52 PM
got them - thanks!

herniated
01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
If you live on Long Island I'll bead it for you. I l-o-v-e doing it!! I would just ask you to buy the crystals. ejoyce.com has many and in wonderful colors. If you don't live on Long Island... well.. it's very easy. ejoyce.com also has the tool to apply the hot fix crystals. I think it's called a bejeweler? I have one. First I would practice on maybe a practice dress in case you make a mistake. The bejewler is about $20 bucks I think.

techskater
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
herniated - only one? One of my friends has 3 bejewelers....

Isk8NYC
01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I thought it was called a "bedazzler" and LizNY has a contraband one.

Much easier today - I had to hand-sew 150 rhinestones on my first skating dress. It was gorgeous, though. The dress disintegrated after 20 years, but I saved every stone in a tupperware container.

techskater
01-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Depends on which company you buy it from! :roll:

skaternum
01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Since you asked for input, I'll throw something out there. Please don't wear black!! That just screams, "I'm an adult skater, and I'm trying to look slimmer!" It's kind of a cliche.

If you're not handy at stoning, perhaps you could buy a cheap piece of costume jewelry and attach that to a plain-looking costume to dress it up a tad. A large celtic looking pin at the neckline. Or a necklace or earring sewn to the neckline.

flo
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd buy a white one I like and dip dye it green going to black at the hem, or the other way.

herniated
01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
herniated - only one? One of my friends has 3 bejewelers....

:D Yeah! I only have one. I should have another in case mine breaks while I'm working on a dress!

LWalsh
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,

The Bedazzler sets the stones in a regular prong setting while the Bejeweler uses the hotfix stones with the glue on the back. I think the Bejeweler is way easier to use. It's really fun to stone your own dresses.

Lwalsh

Isk8NYC
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
The Bedazzler sets the stones in a regular prong setting while the Bejeweler uses the hotfix stones with the glue on the back. I think the Bejeweler is way easier to use. It's really fun to stone your own dresses.Thank you - I had no idea there were two different tools.

I love the idea of a green-fade-to-black dress. Any particular material, Fl o?

doubletoe
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
A couple of years ago I had a dress custom made for me through Riversedge Dancewear. They offer Watercolors custom-dyed dresses, skirts and leotards, and you just send them a color sample of the exact shade(s) you want and they match them exactly. And their prices are really reasonable! For example, you could get this skating dress dyed in black-to-green (any shade of green you like). http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/watadrdr.html

You could also get a custom dyed black-to-green chiffon skating skirt (and "wings' on the shoulders if you like) attached to a black velvet leotard. That's what I did and it turned out great. Just make sure you talk to a real person when you order because the leotard sizing charts are off sometimes.

flo
01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi,
Lots of different fabrics will take the dye, depending on what type you use. I've painted and dyed velvet, silk, polyester and lycra cotton. The miliskin really takes dye well. I painted some fabric for Raye for a costume - blues.

You could also get a green dress and dip the hem in black dye. I did that with a blue one and made a shirt to match for my coach when we did a show together.

stacyf419
01-08-2008, 09:29 PM
What do you guys think of this one? This got my husband's vote...
http://www.figureskatingdeals.com/trendsettersadultdressesproduct.php?dep=Trendsette rs&title=Trendsetters%202007&brand=Adult%20Dresses&id=66

I also really like the idea of that watercolor look - fade-dying from green to black.

And I will take the advice of NOT wearing all black - I like color, anyway!

Clarice
01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Pretty dress - I like the sleeves. I think that green is too light to do the black dip-dye thing, though - maybe to a darker green instead of black? I agree with the comments regarding color - my last freestyle dress was purple. It was still a pretty dark color, but the judges always complimented it, I think because they were so happy it wasn't black!

sk8tmum
01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Usually there's at least one rink mom at every rink who has a Bejeweler and a stash of hot-fix Swarovski stones.

:lol: :lol: :lol: HEY that's ME, as my husband rolls on the floor behind me laughing ... thanks for letting me/him know that I'm one of a species instead of just a singular and obsessive individual. He just thought I was incredibly weird ...

Personal record: 250 SS20 Rhinestones in 1 hour, Bejeweller, HotFix; can do 75 in an hour with glue and flatbacks, although the smallest ones break me after about 20 minutes.

flo
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
How about this one. I think it would go with the "high energy". It comes in a green/black. Go to the bottom of the page.

TREASURE #t2k7041 Three-quarter pushed sleeve, crewneck, dress in glitter swirl velvet. Black velvet straight skirt.

http://www.skate-mart.com/catalog/twizzle4.shtml

Or this one in forest:OVAL BOX LS Oval neck, long sleeve, box skirt.
http://www.skate-mart.com/catalog/twizzle7.shtml
Many on this page come in forest green.

stacyf419
01-09-2008, 01:29 PM
How about this one. I think it would go with the "high energy". It comes in a green/black. Go to the bottom of the page.

TREASURE #t2k7041 Three-quarter pushed sleeve, crewneck, dress in glitter swirl velvet. Black velvet straight skirt.

http://www.skate-mart.com/catalog/twizzle4.shtml

Or this one in forest:OVAL BOX LS Oval neck, long sleeve, box skirt.
http://www.skate-mart.com/catalog/twizzle7.shtml
Many on this page come in forest green.

I'm laughing because the 1st one you mention is the same material as my synchro dress! Which, even though it's so cute, I don't want to wear because it's a halter and my arms are wiggly. Plus I want to get a new dress! :P

Thanks for the recs...

TreSk8sAZ
01-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm laughing because the 1st one you mention is the same material as my synchro dress! Which, even though it's so cute, I don't want to wear because it's a halter and my arms are wiggly. Plus I want to get a new dress! :P

Thanks for the recs...

Actually, the one that was pointed out was the three-quarter length sleeve, not the halter, which comes in black/green (though shown in a different color).

stacyf419
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Actually, the one that was pointed out was the three-quarter length sleeve, not the halter, which comes in black/green (though shown in a different color).

I know - but it was rather coincidental that I have a dress in the same material! So kind of funny... :)

flo
01-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Ha! Good luck with your search.

doubletoe
01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Hmm. . . Speaking of dresses that are green and black with a bit of an edge to them. . . There's a dress on sale for $25.00 at Tidewater Ice and it comes in sizes all the way up through Adult Large.

MDS 723 asymmetrical scoop neck lace over velvet spaghetti strap tank dress. Black velvet skirt. Available in child large thru adult large $ 49.99

http://www.tidewaterice.com/DCP04395.jpg
http://www.tidewaterice.com/DCP04396.jpg

To get the 50% off price, enter code "JAN50" in the special instructions section at checkout.

mikawendy
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Hmm. . . Speaking of dresses that are green and black with a bit of an edge to them. . . There's a dress on sale for $25.00 at Tidewater Ice and it comes in sizes all the way up through Adult Large.

MDS 723 asymmetrical scoop neck lace over velvet spaghetti strap tank dress. Black velvet skirt. Available in child large thru adult large $ 49.99

http://www.tidewaterice.com/DCP04395.jpg
http://www.tidewaterice.com/DCP04396.jpg

To get the 50% off price, enter code "JAN50" in the special instructions section at checkout.

I know someone who has that dress, but with a different color behind the lace. It looks really good on the ice and also different (I'm used to seeing a lot of stretch velvet and spandex dresses, some mesh, not a lot of lace).

flo
01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I saw that one as well - nice!