View Full Version : How many costumes do you have, tell the truth!

CanadianAdult
01-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I've got every costume I've ever owned. They all have memories and I can't sell them or even give them away. Some of them don't fit :roll: but I still keep them.

Sessy
01-06-2008, 09:01 AM
only four and they're practice dresses. Well two of them are from sparkle material though.
I also have a ballroom dancing dress (all sparkly too) from the time I did dancing competitions. It fits me fine, I've worn it to gala's.

Kim to the Max
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I have one at my mom's house from when I was younger...it is REALLY heavy, as I was someone who was always cold (and it came in handy when we did outdoor exhibitions)...it went with my "Far and Away" program...There is no way this one would fit me now :( my chest has gotten too big (but...since my highest weight, I've lost 4" in that area!)

I had another one that I loved, from when I skated to "Electric Light Parade" however, last year, one of the associate director's in my office, her daughter was skating in an exhibition, so I had my mom send that one for her (along with another dress I had just sitting around).

I have one that should be here any day now that I ordered for my upcoming tests...it's very simple, navy flat velvet, short sleeves, square neck (a lower back than I would have liked, but I will get a bra that I can maneuver :) )

SynchroSk8r114
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I keep every single competition/test dress I ever had since I started skating 13 years ago, so the total's pretty high, LOL!

Among my most memorable competition dresses are my:
- "Yankee Doodle" dress
- "Hey there, Georgie Girl" dress
- "Camelot" dress - skated to "March/Parade"
- first competition dress to my compulsory program

coskater64
01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
My mom kept all my skating dresses from when I skated as a teen. I had 8 dresses, they are so small, they fit my cats. Of course at 16, I was tiny 4'8" and maybe 85 lbs. I can get one leg in them, my current dresses I have tons, probably 40 - 50 and I always sell or give away 10 each year, they are an adult s-m somewhere around there. I seem to be getting more dance dresses but I still have a lot of freestyle.

:P

Skate@Delaware
01-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I have about 8 dresses, and some other "costumes" stored away. Most are too big (lost weight since I started skating) and most are show costumes anyway so I would not normally wear them anywhere else.

I do have about 3 that I do wear. Mostly I skate in pants.

doubletoe
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I have 4, since I've only done a total of 5 programs and I gave away the dress I used for my first one.

I have tons, probably 40 - 50 and I always sell or give away 10 each year, they are an adult s-m somewhere around there. I seem to be getting more dance dresses but I still have a lot of freestyle.

:P

(salivating) Oooohh. . . Planning on giving away any this year and looking for someone who's an adult S/M with 61-inch girth? :P

jazzpants
01-06-2008, 11:25 PM
(salivating) Oooohh. . . Planning on giving away any this year and looking for someone who's an adult S/M with 61-inch girth? :PDitto here! I want an adult S/M dress with a 60 inch girth!!! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/38.gif :lol:

As for the original question, I have about 4-5 competition dresses in my closet right now. Two of which I'm not using at the moment and two of which are brand new/custom made for this current skating season and the next year. I also have a plain black dress for moves tests too! :-) One dress I have yet to use for anything. Too bad looking for me. I think I'll give that one away to someone eventually. (It's a plain black glitter long sleeve skating dress with a low back.)

Sessy
01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
what's a girth?

SynchroSk8r114
01-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Ditto here! I want an adult S/M dress with a 60 inch girth!!! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/38.gif :lol:

LOL, same here! I measure XS-S in all areas except girth, which is also 60" on me! That's why I had to have all mine custom made...saved me a lot of trouble.

jenlyon60
01-07-2008, 08:34 AM
what's a girth?

Girth is the measurement from front of neck through the crotch and around to the the bottom of the back of one's neck.

Sometimes it's also measured as right (or left) shoulder front, through to opposite shoulder back.

It is a measurement of the length of the body (doubled) so it shows about how "tall" a costume must be (including any stretch).

A costume that is too short in the girth will give the wearer the feeling of a major wedgie or other various equally uncomfortable feelings.

A costume that is too long in the girth can sag or bunch, depending on the cut.

blue111moon
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
2 - that I can fit into, 3 more that are too small but that I can't bring myself to pass on.

Mel On Ice
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I have 3 practice dresses (two of which I wear), two old synchro dresses, and the rest are competition dresses. I may sell a few of them off if I can't barter them within the adult community here in MI. I won't ever part with my blue glistenette dress.

Rusty Blades
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I voted "5 - 10" but I have only been skating 2 years and that includes practice outfits (sounds like a good excuse to me :roll: ) I am not "a fancy dresser" day to day but I make up for it on the ice - except for a couple of my practice outfits, everything has some pizazz :mrgreen:

coskater64
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Well it seems I may have to put up some photos my dresses are a 60' girth and like I said an adult small-medium, I will work on finding my camera and see what I have that anyone likes I will gladly give them to yall, I have a lot of the Sharene dresses and US icewear.

As a note for general skating I have started to wear the LuLu Lemon pants to hide the hinged boot. Man, do my legs look long!!

jazzpants
01-07-2008, 03:37 PM
As a note for general skating I have started to wear the LuLu Lemon pants to hide the hinged boot. Man, do my legs look long!!Oh, I *LOVE* Lululemon (well at least the capris and the gym tops!!!) The pants suuure make my butt "bootylicious and the tops are quite nice and unique!!!" :mrgreen: They are expensive but the quality of the clothing is QUITE good!!!

I'll have to try their full length pants (and take advantage of their free hemming since I'm too short for 32" inseams!)

coskater64
01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I get the 6-tall which has a 36" inseam, :D . They make a very cute new jacket that has a darling little peplum over the bum. I just look very leggy in there things, I like most of there tanks but I also do a lot of North face and for pilates and yoga Stonybrook and Brooks especially capris

I will find the camera:bow: :bow:

xofivebyfive
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
I have 4, since I've only done a total of 5 programs and I gave away the dress I used for my first one.

(salivating) Oooohh. . . Planning on giving away any this year and looking for someone who's an adult S/M with 61-inch girth? :P
Hey that's me too! If I ever do want to get rid of my dresses, I guess I know who to call.. lol.

I have 2 from figureskatewear.com , custommade, 2 practice dresses, and 2 other custommade dresses. so 6.

SkatingOnClouds
01-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Well, I have one dress from 1984 that served for both my Bronze test and my one & only competition from that time.

From the past 2 years of skating I have a toreador costume and a purple velvet number. I do have a black velour practise dress and a couple of skirts which I rarely wear. All home made.

blackmanskating
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I have 2 costumes; one for my Silver level program and one for my Gold level. Both programs are a work in progress. ;)

BlackManSkating

mikawendy
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I have three freestyle dresses and one that I use mostly for testing and small events (spins, compulsories). Then I have another testing dress that is also a backup emergency dress (but the stones keep falling off...) and a neat purple dress that flo gave me 8-)

sexyskates
01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
OK, you made me look in my closet and count. I sew all my own stuff, and at the beginning of my exporation into skating dress creation I experimented with different styles which I used as practice dresses. I also sew a new dress for every competitive freestyle and interp program I do. It appears that I am finishing number 57 right now! I have practice dresses for all temperature ranges, except near freezing when I go to fleece pants - I am not counting that as a skating costume.

mikawendy
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Good golly, that's a lot of dresses! I liked the sea green/blue one you were showing me and flo at HC.

Any tips on fabrics that just did not work out for you or gave you problems when you were making all those dresses?

Thin-Ice
01-09-2008, 02:37 AM
I'm so glad I saw this poll THIS week and not just before Christmas. I now have 5 practice dresses (and 7 more in various stages of being cut-out and sewn) and 16 costumes I am either using this year, plan to re-use in the near future or just can't bear to part with.

But at the start of last month, I had 32 costumes and 22 practice dresses:oops: . I needed more room in my skating closet (I have all my skating wear in the closet in my sewing room -- so my husband doesn't end up with glitter, etc. on his clothes) so I donated a bunch of things to Figure Skating in Harlem. (It's a great program that helps girls both academically and on ice.) Boxed it all up and sent it early enough that I can claim a charity donation tax deduction for 2007.

sexyskates
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Mikawendy! Thank you for the compliment on the dress at HC.

I have found that glissinette snags like crazy from pins and then velcro when you wear the dress. Spandex House now carries a gauzy netting that is quite resilient. I like to layer it up and mix the patterned stuff with the solids and use matching lycras underneath. I also like all the stretchy velvets, but sometimes the seams slip as you sew due to the nap. Velvet also leaves a lot of fuzz in the serger and is very thick in multiple layers. Make sure all fabric really is fully stretchy in all 4 directions. If it's not as stretchy as other fabric you have used on a particular pattern, then cut it out a bit larger. Also some glittery fabrics can shed, and some with metallics can jam the needles (confetti dot). Also watch what you use at the neck line - itch factor.

tidesong
01-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Do you count the leotards that work with a wrap/skating skirt too? lol anyways I just randomly picked a figure but I have made my own dresses for most of my competitions and I kept all of them and but also that I have taken apart old ones to make new ones, especially when I made bad decisions on material and they just don't fit anymore... so I don't quite know how to count those either... but I do end up with a whole lot of them and because I made most of them, they aren't extremely resellable because my sewing skills aren't quite up to standard yet :oops:

mikawendy
01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh, well, if leotards and wrap skirts are included, then I have TONS because most are leftover from my ballet days. I still have some of my Mirella leotards from over 15 years ago, and the elastic is still good in them, they were made that well.

tidesong
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow that's nice, I haven't been doing ballet for 15 years so I can't talk about that, but I have a swimsuit thats about 12 years old and the elastic has all hardened already, I can't decide if I should try and salvage the rest of the fabric, its also getting pretty stiff and flaky.