View Full Version : Music for Showcase

Mainemom
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but... we are looking for Showcase ideas. As we are in Maine, there aren't very many competitions that my dd can get to without travelling for hours. She loves doing Showcase, but it's not an area in which her coach has any experience and since there aren't many comps around here we can't even go and watch to get ideas. Are there any resources out there where we can get some ideas for her next one? She would like to do One from A Chorus Line (making a gold lame outfit should be so much fun - NOT) although she has also mentioned doing something from The Lion King dressed up like a lion.... The next time she can do a Showcase is in July, so we have some time, but I'd like to get started sewing if it's going to be gold lame!

Tennisany1
01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
There is a really great song from A Chorus Line where a guy sings about how he started dancing. The lyrics start "I watch my sis go pitter pat, said I can to that, I can do that ....One morning sis won't go to dance class, I grabbed her shoes and tights and all, I stuffed her shoes with extra sock, ran seven blocks, in nothing flat, I can do that....."

Anywho, I did a dance number to it in highschool and it is great music, but I'm not sure about the gold lame .... a ballet practice outfit might be better.

The sound track from the Pollar Express also has some great music.

Let us know how old your daughter is and that will help with ideas.

techskater
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
How old is your daughter and what level does she skate? This could help us with ideas...

twokidsskatemom
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
My daugher used Cant stop the beat from hairspray. A few good songs on the soundtrack.
good luck !

jskater49
01-05-2008, 07:07 PM
One year my dd skated to "Secret Agent Man" She wore a black trench coat and a hat covered in aluminum foil (it made it really shiny) - she competed that program several time, won several events and never finished lower than second.
j

Mainemom
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
She's 13 (looks 17), 5'7" and Pre-Juv (although she hopes to test both MIF and FS this February). She does a lot of plays and hopes to major in Theatre when she gets to college - she's been a drama queen since she could talk! Thanks for the help you can give us!

littlekateskate
01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
What about Pirates of Penzance.. There is so many angles of costumes you could take with it.

She could be a pirate or one of the ladies. And man i love that soundtrack! :)

techskater
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
She's 13 (looks 17), 5'7" and Pre-Juv (although she hopes to test both MIF and FS this February). She does a lot of plays and hopes to major in Theatre when she gets to college - she's been a drama queen since she could talk! Thanks for the help you can give us!

If she's looking for something really dramatic to skate to, how about "I'd Give my Life for You" from Miss Saigon or something from Les Mis?

luckeylasvegas
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
My DD's showcase program is to Le Jazz Hot from Victor Victoria.

Mainemom
01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Le Jazz Hot would be perfect! Thank you so much for mentioning it. I'll get the movie this weekend and play it for her!