View Full Version : Why Do Rinks Have More Drama Than The Real World?

miraclegro
01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I know my rink has a LOT more than others because of young and immature management (and blameshifting instead of good PR skills), but why is it i can be at work and never get in trouble on my real job, and at my rink, there is always something crazy that people are out to get other people so much? I thought my dream had come true when i finally got a rink in my hometown, but i think back on it and i enjoyed it much more when it travelled!

dbny
01-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Don't be so sure yours is the only rink suffering from those particular ills! My own theory is that figure skating is not a team sport. It is a winner take all, dog eat dog sport, and as such, does not grow good managers. You are more likely to get good management out of hockey, IMO, but probably not from sports at all when compared with other businesses. There is a general lack of education, and business education in particular, in the skating world - JMO. To date, the best run LTS program (and it has grown into advanced level circuit training) that I've seen is managed by a former high level figure skater who also has a college degree in Information Systems.

Thin-Ice
01-04-2008, 03:07 AM
I laughed when I saw this.. because my workplace is filled with drama and egos and competitiveness in ways I've never seen at other places I've worked. Going to my lesson-rink is always such a nice break from that, since everyone there gets along with very little drama. In fact, a couple weeks ago, one of the kids (she's about 7) was having a whiny meltdown:roll: because her mother wanted her to practice instead of getting off the ice and nearly everyone asked the family to "take it outside". That was probably the most "dramatic" moment at that rink in at least 3-4 years... and we're still talking about it there. My other rink has a little more drama.. but it's still much better than what goes on at work. Sorry to hear your rinks aren't as much of an oasis for you.

kayskate
01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I have worked in places that have been nightmares! One of those places was a public school. IMO, when you are working w ppl's children you will inevitably deal w hysterical parents. Every parent thinks his kid is very gifted/talented. But that's another story...

I work in a rink now that seems to run scared of the parents. There is a teenage coach there who is afraid of letting parents see her teaching kids (in low level grp classes) the same skills week after wk. As though they don't need practice? The whole philosophy of the place is to keep the kids moving. Parents want to see the kids moving. I even heard a parent shouting at his kid from the boards: "keep moving!" Spastic movement is not quality movement and quality movement comes from instruction and practice. JMO. The skating director caught a kid showing off the spiral she learned herself and bawled me out. According to her that move is "forbidden" at the child's level. She could fall and get hurt. No kidding. Skating is a sport. I was not teaching the spiral, the kid was just showing off. Seems law suits must have happened at some pt and the place has a frantic policy to prevent them.

One coach walked out b/c she was sick of being "corrected" in front of her class. She was bawled out in the rink after classes by Director. This pro was a former nat'l competitor. Yup, rinks are full of drama.

I have also worked corporate. That place was a nut house! The constant re-organization, politics, boot-licking, fear of losing one's job, boredom interspersed w periods of insane business, you name it!

Welcome to the workforce.

Kay

jskater49
01-04-2008, 07:40 AM
shrug. I've been in churches with more drama than our rink or club.

People are people.

j

TimDavidSkate
01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
:roll: Yes, like any other place

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Rink politics/church politics.... it's all the same. At least in churches people tend to try to get on with one another. Usually. Mind you, even St Paul had to write to two of the bickering ladies in one church and tell them to behave... so it's not like it's anything new.

All the same, I hate rink politics.

sk8tmum
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
It varies, but, you're right, the politics can be brutal - having been involved in more than one sport at the competitive level - one key point that I've seen is the "track" or "goals" of the athletes. Where you've got kids (and their parents :roll: ) with aspirations to being elite level or winning a lot of competitions, then, the politics seems to be higher ... rinks where the skater who goes 'competitive' gets more adulation than the one that goes 'test', and their coaches similarly get more 'status' from producing the successfully competitive kids; then, the parents get in their with their nudging and winking and superiority dances ... (I'm not cynical, am I? I'm hopeless at politics, and I hate what it does to kids and their parents).

Or, my favorite explanation: all that hairspray and glitter temporarily causes dysfunctions in the part of the brain that regulates kindness, perspective and sportsmanship. Which is why politics seem to be most heightened at test days and competitions. :)

part of it is, of course, the tone set by the executive of a club, and the way they recognize accomplishments, achievements, and whether they show favoritism or not ...

Sessy
01-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Plus, most skaters are teenagers (at least around here they are), who behave just like at highschool they do, with all kinds of pestering and emotional terrorism.

Derek
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Like Thin-ice, generally I find my rink to be a haven of peace and tranquillity ... even on busy weekend sessions, I accept the hectic nature of public skate, and the occasional issues that arise, both on and off the ice. Something else that I do, is express my appreciation of a 'good' session, whether the ice is good, or the stewarding is astute, and I always thank the volunteer coaches who offer their services on club sessions.

Perhaps I just have rose-tinted glasses, but I think I like it that way !

skaternum
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
With us, it isn't really "rink" politics. It's club politics. Bleeech!

icedancer2
01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
MAYBE because we love it so much!!:)

BuggieMom
01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
With us, it isn't really "rink" politics. It's club politics. Bleeech!

ITA!!
Our rink is a nice place, and the rink staff is great. Public sessions are fine and all get along. Freestyles are different though...stick a few of the club officers and their entitled teenagers into the mix, and it's a different story. You can just feel the change in the air when they sail in! I think spandex has a nullifying effect on ethics and morals. I have never seen so much stupid, senseless, meaningless drama anywhere else than I have at the rink. I have never seen people defend horrible behavior with such vehemence as I have seen at the rink.

But then again, maybe I just don't get out enough:giveup:

JMO

teresa
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Attitudes happen at all work places in my opinion. I've been around long enough to understand this is true. Saying that, I've made it a habit not to get involved. If your willing to listen and participate folks will try to make you involved. Everyone has their opinion, which may be true for them, but doesn't make it the truth. I try to be kind to all, stay out of the baloney, and listen to little. If you don't listen it's easier to stay out of things. As for the rink peers competing. . .it does occur. However, I don't. I skate for me and this is the only person I worry about. As an adult, skating is part of my life, it's not my whole life. Many skaters and parents make it their whole. Very few will ever reach the point this needs to occur in my opinion.

teresa

TimDavidSkate
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Today was the first day back for most of my skating school staff - and I had a firm talk with them with drama and etc. I told them that strike one - you will be sent home, strike 2 - loose of day shift, strike 3 - see ya!!!!

ibreakhearts66
01-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Plus, most skaters are teenagers (at least around here they are), who behave just like at highschool they do, with all kinds of pestering and emotional terrorism.

along the same lines, a lot of coaches who were elite skaters themselves never really got to be teenagers. i think that explains why some coaches are always surrounded by drama. it's like they never got to live out high school, so they're stuck in high school drama. don't get me wrong, i would say those coaches are in the minority, but i can think of a couple at my rink and near-by rinks that certainly belong in high school, emotionally.

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2008, 06:49 AM
along the same lines, a lot of coaches who were elite skaters themselves never really got to be teenagers. i think that explains why some coaches are always surrounded by drama. it's like they never got to live out high school, so they're stuck in high school drama. don't get me wrong, i would say those coaches are in the minority, but i can think of a couple at my rink and near-by rinks that certainly belong in high school, emotionally.That makes sense! Thanks.

kander
01-06-2008, 12:22 AM
I think it is also more of a female thing. I've been to a gazillion rinks and have never had a problem (except once). I think it's because I tend to be in my own little world when I skate and I don't pay much attention to anybody except as common courtesy.

Kevin

vesperholly
01-06-2008, 03:45 AM
I think it is also more of a female thing.
8O I'm not even going there.

Isk8NYC
01-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I think it is also more of a female thing. I've been to a gazillion rinks and have never had a problem (except once). I think it's because I tend to be in my own little world when I skate and I don't pay much attention to anybody except as common courtesy.I think the latter part of your statement is the true reason: synchro aside, skating is an individual sport, just like swimming. Whenever you have a sport like that, skaters and their parents/coaches tend to rub others the wrong way in their pursuit of making sure they get what they think they're entitled to receive. (Ice time, right of way, club support, scholarships, etc. etc.)

The majority of skaters aren't shy about speaking up or being seen, so a tantrum is an opportunity to give a show, albeit a bad one. I've seen just as many MEN do this as I've seen women. Women usually start with backbiting and sniping, men go right for the blowup. lol The difference is that the men will get over it shortly, whereas the women hold grudges for life.

Add conflicting visions and you up the ante: the hockey coach-turned-rink manager gives away the ten-year Club session, the head figure skating coach demands an ice cut, the ice dance instructor doesn't leave the ice fast enough, and let's not even talk about "poaching students" among coaches of all disciplines.

miraclegro
01-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Well, if nothing else, this thread gives me a chuckle. The most frustrating thing where i am at is the poor pr skills of the rink, and the poor public feels they hit a wall when they have legit. complaints b/c their stuff isn't validated. So, right now i am choosing to travel (again) some to get out of the area where moms feel they have more rights (even though some of us know how things should be run b/c we've been to other rinks a lot) and it just goes on and on. So, for my sanity, i'll be traveling more even though there's a rink practically in my back yard. I will admit that although i am a very good natured person, i am struggling with anger issues right now.

Yesterday i bypassed Krispy kreme donuts in the store to avoid emotional eating, only to get an entire pacakge of eclairs at the bakery. Sad, but true....

jskater49
01-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I think it is also more of a female thing. I've been to a gazillion rinks and have never had a problem (except once). I think it's because I tend to be in my own little world when I skate and I don't pay much attention to anybody except as common courtesy.

Kevin

Oh please. The most ridiculis, childish, unprofessional "Drama queen" trantrum I ever saw was thrown by a male coach so yea, don't even go there.

j

2loop2loop
01-06-2008, 08:20 AM
All the same, I hate rink politics.

And, I hate to say it, yours has more than most IMHO!

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
And, I hate to say it, yours has more than most IMHO!In one sense, I'm glad to hear it, as it means not everywhere is as awful! Right now it's getting to the stage where I don't really want to skate any more. If it weren't for the Mountain Cup being the 10th anniversary edition, I'd hang up my boots, and if things don't improve I am seriously thinking about doing so after it.

TreSk8sAZ
01-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I find inter-rink politics are just as bad as intra-rink politics in my area. It comes (for us) from having three clubs in one city, and seven ice rinks. I think part of the whole drama at the rink thing is territory and who's bringing in the money. Those bringing in the money feel they have the right to do as they wish, causing tension between them and the rest of the skaters. Also, generally a certain group of skaters skate together and know each other. When an "outsider" comes in, they band together to keep their space on the ice whether it's needed or not.

miraclegro
01-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, i know all about "bringing in the money." Some parents (who have endless supplies of money) think they can call the shots, and right now they are.

As for me, i have just tried to be objective and state to the parents in a nice way how freestyles should run (since i have been to MANY other rinks' freestyles) recommending kids not lay/stand around on the ice, and the director will take up for them, and someone like me who is in the minority about being more serious about the sport is labeled a troublemaker. That's okay, i'm going to the other rink more often starting this week - the 1 hour drive will be worth it for my sanity and to be around a rink that is run professionally. Yeah for me~

I have been dealing with anger issues lately and that is not like me....i bought chocolate eclairs last night and have a good figure, but right now, i am doing emotional eating right before a competition -- not good! I just figure over time this little group of parents will turn on each other.

techskater
01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
miraclegro -
At least you recognize the emotional eating, even if you didn't stop yourself. Been there with you, just make sure you take care of yourself in that respect.

One of the reasons why I skate in the early AM is to AVOID the drama that goes on later. We have a number of high level skaters at our rink whose parents "bring in the money" - a couple representing other countries. The kids are, for the most part, great, it's the parents who need a lesson in proper behavior. I think it's because they have nothing better to do while they sit at the rink for a couple hours while their kids skate. Here's a hint, bring a book if you don't sew, cross stitch, knit, crochet, etc.

And, I agree, one of the biggest drama makers is one of the male coaches at our rink. Sheesh!

BuggieMom
01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
As for me, i have just tried to be objective and state to the parents in a nice way how freestyles should run (since i have been to MANY other rinks' freestyles) recommending kids not lay/stand around on the ice, and the director will take up for them, and someone like me who is in the minority about being more serious about the sport is labeled a troublemaker. That's okay, i'm going to the other rink more often starting this week - the 1 hour drive will be worth it for my sanity and to be around a rink that is run professionally. Yeah for me~

I have been dealing with anger issues lately and that is not like me....

You could be writing about me

Our coach asked me last week if it is really worth the 3 hour drive every other week to take my dd to another rink to train. I said yes, it is totally worth it. For both of us it is an emotional balm to be in a place where I can sit and watch her, and she can skate, and it is all stress-free. No eyes watching, no gossip flying around, no cold shoulders. I only wish I could take her more. The only time I enjoy being at our rink is during the daytime sessions while school is in session and the "lobby moms" are working. Other than that, I hate being at the rink. Anger issues? Oh I got 'em. And I have the extra weight to prove it!

miraclegro
01-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, Buggiemom,

at least i know you share the same feelings b/c there have been times i felt so alone. Been traveling to rinks for over 10 years and now this little group thinks they know everything. My reputation has been damaged, and my emotions, so i am paying for my ice now, where i was getting it free. I quit teaching learn to skate which was my favorite.

But...ah, the drive to the other rink with the mountain views and cows in the fields, and my car with my favorite music, (Christian, classical, etc) is SOO worth it! yeah!

BuggieMom
01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I sent you a PM....

miraclegro
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I sent you one, too!

lovepairs
01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Just read this entire thread, and all I have to say is that it starts from the top down!

Lisa M.
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree with rink politics. I am a relatively new skater (1 yr anniversary on the 6th) My freestyle (group) coach doesn't get along with my private coach. My spins coach (group) doesn't get along with the patch coach. I also live in a place with quite a few rinks, and the inter-rink relationships are all the gossip. I have heard quite a few things that suprised me not having grown up in the skating world (I started at 34yrs).

Rusty Blades
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Why Do Rinks Have More Drama Than The Real World?

Then there is something wrong with my 'real world' 'cause it's a giant P.I.T.A. and the rink is a welcome refuge! 8O

dbny
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Just read this entire thread, and all I have to say is that it starts from the top down!

IMO, you have hit the nail on the head.

DaisySkate♥
04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Also, generally a certain group of skaters skate together and know each other. When an "outsider" comes in, they band together to keep their space on the ice whether it's needed or not.

This Happens To Some People At My Rink, Where A Certain Group Of Skaters Will Take Over Most Of The Ice And Shut Out Those Who Are Not Welcome, Making For A Horrible Practice Session With No Ice Space And The Feeling That 'They Are Watching Your Every Move'. As Well As This Happening To People Who Skate From Other Rinks This Happens To Even The Regular Ones Too!

Why Is Figure Skating Such A B*tchy Sport ?!

doubletoe
04-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Then there is something wrong with my 'real world' 'cause it's a giant P.I.T.A. and the rink is a welcome refuge! 8O

Agreed. Be grateful if you have not yet encountered the level of drama that can exist in the "real world"!

BatikatII
04-26-2008, 04:20 PM
I am experiencing this right now. Having given years of unstinting service to my club and endured the rink politics and club politics, I always tried to have as my guiding principles the good of the majority of club members. Many people on the club committee however are there either because they think it's the way to get their child favoured in the club (and sadly this seems to work) or they have their own agenda issues of power and control.

I don't think it's specifically a gender issue (I've had male bosses in the workplace who used me to score points off each other) but I do think a preponderence of females who are highly involved with their kids is a major factor in club politics.

Currently I have ended up withdrawing from offering a huge service to the club which a lot of club members really, really appreciated and wanted, due to the behaviour of just a couple of club committee members who took the opportunity for a power play at my expense and at the expense of the club members wishes. The unbeleivable thing was that one of these people was someone who I had counted as a close friend as recently as a week prior to this.

Unfortunately people who are supportive when you speak to them in person become different people when in committee and they feel self-interest or rather child's interest may be at stake. You can't really blame them, as they are all too aware that if you put your head above the parapet you are in danger of being shot down.

Sadly I think I am congenitally incapable of keeping my head down and will always stand up for what I believe in. Believe me I have suffered for it!

Black Sheep
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Last summer, I prepaid for contract ice on Saturday mornings (to make sure I always had my space there--no room for walk-ons). Unfortunately, a popular international coach who trains in our area decided that those Saturday mornings would be an opportune time to bring his seven elite pairs-in-training for a group lesson. That meant that 14 skaters took over the rink, training in "wolf packs" and skating at the highest of speeds. Because they were training at the world/Olympic level with one of the greatest coaches on earth, it was okay for them to train like this with no regard whatsoever to the "little people" who paid the same $ to skate there as well. :roll:

Terri C
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM
The big drama at my rink is the figure skating vs. hockey issue. Our rink owner is a former pro hockey player with his own hockey school etc.
Some of the issues have been from cutting freestyle time to accomodate Stick n Puck , esp since we are down to one surface due to maintenance work being done on the other. The other issue is ice not getting cut before the beginning of the freestyle sessions in the afternoon. We (coaches, parents and myself) have heard excuses from "there were only two kids out there" to "we're having a meeting, sorry."
One of the parents has taken documentation of all of this and sent a e-mail to the skating director. Since then that problem has been resolved somewhat.

slusher
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately people who are supportive when you speak to them in person become different people when in committee and they feel self-interest or rather child's interest may be at stake.

I highly agree with your entire post, all of it, but I'll just comment on this part here. At at club one time, the mom in charge of publicity of how skaters fared in test or competition would only send the results to the media if her own child won, or was maybe second. The results for the entire club! If her child did poorly, she would "forget" to send them in, so that if it was your child winning a medal, it never got published.

I've left two clubs. I'm back at one again. The other - a lost cause.

ibreakhearts66
04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
The big drama at my rink is the figure skating vs. hockey issue. Our rink owner is a former pro hockey player with his own hockey school etc.
Some of the issues have been from cutting freestyle time to accomodate Stick n Puck , esp since we are down to one surface due to maintenance work being done on the other. The other issue is ice not getting cut before the beginning of the freestyle sessions in the afternoon. We (coaches, parents and myself) have heard excuses from "there were only two kids out there" to "we're having a meeting, sorry."
One of the parents has taken documentation of all of this and sent a e-mail to the skating director. Since then that problem has been resolved somewhat.

we have very similar problems as well. the ice is always freshly cut for hockey, but they will go 4 hours without an ice cut during public sessions (which is where all the freestyle training takes place). things have gotten slightly better now that we have a second surface, but the figure skaters still get slighted. the second surface is really small, and that is where nearly all of the freestyle sessions are held.

the rest of the drama at my rink surrounds one or two people, and honestly, i think they thrive on the drama. there is nothing to be done except try to avoid it (and hope they don't try to start something because "you weren't talking to them).

mandypants
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I've been especially down lately about some of the drama at my current training rink. It's really ugly! I skate at a large, twin rink facility while college is in session. There are quite a few moms who sit and gossip about people, compare skaters, criticize and yell at their kids. I know because I sit there tying my skates and I hear it. Then I go out there to practice and feel their beady eyes on me and wonder what they're saying. The Synchro girls rank other skaters and actually make lists and post them on myspace. They say things like "so and so is too fat" and other horrible stuff. And then there's an even bigger problem with a girl who is 15 who refuses to get out of anyone's way even if they're having a lesson or in their program. She is the most incredibly rude person I've ever encountered and when I've talked to my coach and the director, they seemed compassionate but her behavior never changes and I know it's because her mom is such a vocal, intimidating person in the club. I feel like I'm being bullied by this girl now, to be honest. She comes at me, staring me down - I have to move or she'll run me down and she has before. I could really vent on and on here but I'll spare you more. But because that special someone's mom has so much pull at the rink...I'm about ready to go to a new rink in the area and I know several others who are upset about this girl and the gossip. What's interesting is that my home club is much smaller with only one ice surface and the atmosphere is so much nicer and family-like and there are more club members than the other, larger rink.

I'm just kind of blown away by the terrible examples a lot of the parents are setting and the behavior by a lot of the princesses. I've been involved in dance since I was a little kid and its an atmosphere of respect for others and self discipline, generally. There are definitely more divas in skating, imho. And, parents aren't allowed to watch dance classes nearly as much as they do in skating (and almost NEVER have the opportunity to yell at their kid or "instruct" them) and there just seems to be a lot less drama and gossip. I've been involved in gymnastics and haven't seen the kind of rude behavior that I've seen in skating, either.

I'm really just venting, not looking for answers. Thanks for listening.

onlyhappyonice
04-28-2008, 06:11 AM
In fact, a couple weeks ago, one of the kids (she's about 7) was having a whiny meltdown:roll: because her mother wanted her to practice instead of getting off the ice and nearly everyone asked the family to "take it outside".

My daughter sometimes gets like that, she will stand on the side of the rink stropping if she can't do something she is practicing that is beyond her current level. So I calmly suggest that she might like to go home as she's clearly had enough for that day and rather than just saying no I would like to practice she thinks I plan on dragging her off the ice and she just starts getting emotional, so I kindly remind her that other people are trying to skate and she is getting in their way.

sk8tmum
04-28-2008, 10:07 AM
and this time of the year is the worst IMHO. Competition season is done; the competitive season is beginning for the competitive kids, with the pressure for some to pass the next test, and/or to decide if they are going to stay competitive. The StarSkate (rec) stream kids are in off-season, so, no competitions, maybe not any test days either.

People are switching coaches, or debating about it; coaches are paranoid about their kids switching away, or, subtly/not so subtly "prospecting" for the kids they want; for those coaches who don't bill regularly, the big bills are coming out; kids are deciding if they are going to quit or go on; yearly plans are being done ... there aren't really competitions to focus on; other sports are kicking in ... coaches incomes are dropping as the skaters who don't skate year round quit until next season.

I hate April and May. More b**ching, backbiting, petty backoffice politics go on than at any other time of the year. Too much uncertainty and pressure, too much time on the hands for too many...

(hey, can you figure out I've had a really unpleasant few weeks lately?!)

jskater49
04-28-2008, 10:11 AM
No place has more drama than a home with a teenage girl.

j

quarkiki2
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
I think, like all places with drama, it's a big fish/small pond issue. The smaller the pong, the bigger the small issues seem, LOL!

And, BTW, most of our coach drama involves the male coaches at our rink.

Skittl1321
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I think, like all places with drama, it's a big fish/small pond issue. The smaller the pong, the bigger the small issues seem, LOL!

And, BTW, most of our coach drama involves the male coaches at our rink.

Reading the stories here makes me think we are VERY lucky at our rink. It's pretty drama free most of the time.

Kim to the Max
04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I am a "no drama" type of person....I just hope that I can continue that....I just got put on the board for our club and I want to stay as drama free as possible!

quarkiki2
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Reading the stories here makes me think we are VERY lucky at our rink. It's pretty drama free most of the time.

Yeah -- we're not a "training" facility and, therefore, I think we may be more supportive of each other than a lot of places. No one cheers louder for competitors than we do, LOL!

sk8tmum
04-28-2008, 11:05 AM
VERY big club.
NOT a training centre.
Just nuts, that's all.:cry:

jazzpants
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Here, here!!! I am very thankful my rink is pretty much drama free too (well, okay maybe it's more I don't see the drama that does happen since I'm only on the FS sessions like once a week, but even when I was training for AN, it was QUITE nice!!! We're all pretty supportive of one another, whether or not we're adults or kids. (Those of you that are in my Facebook should see that QUITE a few on my friends list are teenage kids/younger adults.) It's quite nice, actually!

Okay, we're NOT a trainer center for elite skaters, but we do have the occasional elite skaters sightings here!

dbny
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
No place has more drama than a home with a teenage girl.

j

Try a home with TWO of them!

VERY big club.
NOT a training centre.
Just nuts, that's all.:cry:

Skating has more nuts than a peanut farm. The worst experience we ever had was with a small club. Joined a smallish branch of a big club after that, and when that branch self-destructed following the president's lack of interest and lack of tact due to her daughter's loss of interest, we went independent and have stayed that way. I'm now working at a rink with no home club and there is still drama. They finally had to ban one girl because of her mother's behavior and the daughter's following suit on the ice. I felt sorry for the kid, but pretty much everyone else was just glad to be rid of them, and I do understand why.

slusher
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I hate April and May. More b**ching, backbiting, petty backoffice politics go on than at any other time of the year. Too much uncertainty and pressure, too much time on the hands for too many...

April and May is the Annual General Meeting Season. For some people, being the President of the Skating Club is Very Very Important.

(capitals on purpose to emphasize my sarcasm)

GordonSk8erBoi
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Maybe I'm just oblivious, but at my current rink there's not a lot of drama. I'm not sure if it's the most competitive rink in town (I don't get out enough!) but it is pretty competitive, but people seem to get along pretty well from what I can see. It's really a pretty nice environment.

kander
04-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Maybe I'm just oblivious, but at my current rink there's not a lot of drama. I'm not sure if it's the most competitive rink in town (I don't get out enough!) but it is pretty competitive, but people seem to get along pretty well from what I can see. It's really a pretty nice environment.

I don't notice anything either, although I'm sure stuff goes on. I think guys in general are more oblivious to these kinds of things. Also, I'm a big guy who can skate fast which might intimidate some people into leaving me alone.

sk8lady
04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Try a home with TWO of them!

Skating has more nuts than a peanut farm.

This is just as true for hockey as for figure skating, and although the teenagers in our figure skating club love to create dramatic crises, the hockey coaches and parents are just as bad! I've coached hockey as well as figure for the past three years and the coaches are just about as bad as teenage girls. They complain about each other, they don't get along, and you should have heard the complaining when USA Hockey started requiring the coaches to wear helmets. They could not get over having to have sweaty, matted helmet-hair. One guy used to vanish off the ice the second the buzzer rang without helping move the nets or pick up the pucks and it turned out he was skating away as fast as he could so that he could switch his helmet for his baseball cap in private so no one would see his hair. Plus a lot of the guys get divorced and then marry each other's wives.
And don't even get me started on the parents. Some of them come right down to the bench so they can instruct their kids during games (and these are the parents who can't skate, which is usually why they're not coaching). When they're told not to do that they make up hand signals so they can instruct the kids during the game. I am not making this up!!!!!! AND THESE ARE ALL GUYS!!! Definitely not a gender issue!!!

sk8tmum
04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Yep, and there is JUST as much drama in competitive swimming too; except that the skintight bathing suits encourages references to body type, which is quite offensive on many fronts.

I've also seen it in competitive (and recreational) dance, gymnastics, baseball, softball, hockey, lacrosse, soccer ... etc etc etc.

Any sport, it seems, where there are PARENTS and CHILDREN engenders drama. Which is sad ... and, as a teacher, I see the fallout in the classroom - encouraged arrogance and rude behaviour on the sports field can spill over into arrogance and 'attitude' in the classroom. Kids model what they see; they learn by example; and setting a bad attitude ANYWHERE helps develop a bad attitude EVERYWHERE.

I also note that many of the most "dramatic" parents are former or ex skaters, swimmers etc., who were either quite successful - so know better than anyone - or NOT successful, so are now living vicariously thru their children.

And spoiling it for a whole bunch of well meaning, good, positive parents and their children.

Done with venting ... it was a rough night at the 'ol arena last night :roll: