View Full Version : Severe toe pain

jwrnsktr
01-02-2008, 07:26 AM
:cry:

I need to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have a pretty good pain tolerance so I know I'm not being a wus. Sometimes, esp if I'm on the ice for a couple of hours, I feel one of my big toes gets kind of numb. Then, within a few minutes of taking my skate off, I get a horrific burning pain that lasts til the 3 or 4 Advil I take kicks in. It has me in tears. The pain is not in the joint or where an ingrown nail would be, but seems to be underneath the nail, on the entire nail bed. It started when I kicked my time on the ice from one to two hours per session and also after I tried picking in harder in trying to get a half flip into a flip. I'm going to see the doctor this week, but was wondering if anyone else has had this. Could it be frostbite?

Sessy
01-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Eeek! Poor you!

Glad to hear you're seeing a doctor.

Could it be gout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout)?

jwrnsktr
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
No, gout involves the joint. No joint pain, but thanks for the suggestion!

techskater
01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Are your boots too tight in the toe area? It could cause the numbness and pain you are describing.

Hannahclear
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I feel one of my big toes gets kind of numb. Then, within a few minutes of taking my skate off, I get a horrific burning pain that lasts til the 3 or 4 Advil I take kicks in.

I have something similar, but it's uncomfortable, not painful for me. In cold skating weather, my toes tend to go numb, especially the big toe. I stopped using my Bunga sleeves, which did improve things. When I take my skates off, I sometimes get this really intense and mildly uncomfortable tingling sensation. It lasts for about 10 minutes and then is gone. I wear the exact same boots in the summer with no issues.

Raynaud's disease has been discussed on this board before. It can range from mild to severe.

Sorry for your pain! :(

Isk8NYC
01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
If it's frostbite, the tip of the toe would be white and bloodless. When feeling returns, it's a painful, all-over tingling sensation, not intense pain in one spot.

I thought about hammertoe, which is common for figure skating, but I don't think that's the pain you're describing.

Perhaps picking in for the flip bumps your toenail into your boot? That could cause some bruising and/or swelling when you remove the boot.

Have you tried one of those "fingertip" bandaids over the toe before skating? It might offer some protection and keep the area warm for a while.

Make sure you're picking in correctly for the jump. Your coach can watch and let you know if that might be causing the problem.

Hannahclear
01-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Info on "frost nip"

http://www.outdoorplaces.com/Features/Mountain/frostbite/

jwrnsktr
01-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Well, my boots fit fine I think - I've been wearing them for two years with no problem. I went to the drug store and bought one of those toe sleeves - it feels like it is lined with a gel pad. I also bought Arthritis Heat Relief cream - my thought is that if it's getting too cold that this stuff will help keep it warm. I just don't know. The pain is more than an uncomfortable tingling sensation. I've had that before - this is outright pain - on a pain scale of 0-10, it's about a 15. I'm serious! Anyway, thanks for all the input. I was mainly wondering if anyone else had the problem. I wonder if all that jamming of the toe into the ice did something. My coach did correct this - he said not to pick harder but to draw myself up stronger if that makes any sense. We've laid off these jumps til I get an answer from the doctor.

Hannahclear
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Stress fracture?

jwrnsktr
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't know - but the pain isn't in the bone, it's under the toe nail, where the nail is "attached" to the toe. I guess next Tuesday I'll have an answer. I only skated an hour today so it wasn't too bad. Again, thanks all. J

doubletoe
01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
It definitely sounds like something you need to go to the doctor for.
Meanwhile, your coach is absolutely right. Picking harder will not help with the jump; in fact, it will make it harder to get a good takeoff. Bend the skating knee deeply, reach back with a very rigid, locked out free leg and toes pointed straight down to the ice (and held just a few inches above the ice). Keeping your back arched so you don't lean forward, place the toepick into the ice and pull yourself back with it as you straighten the skating leg. The scissoring motion should feel like you're pulling your picking leg forward to meet your skating leg.

kander
01-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I sometimes had severe toe pain in my big picking toe on flips. Every now and then I'd hit it just right (or wrong) and it would feel like somebody smashing my big toe with a hammer. Keeping my toenails trim fixed the problem.

Kevin

jwrnsktr
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah, the just hit with a hammer feeling is what lingers after the Motrin kicks in. Well, thanks everyone - how do I make this thread go away? Happy skating and good luck to all going to the NYI.

dbny
01-05-2008, 04:03 PM
If it isn't intrusive, I would like to know the cause of the problem after the OP sees the doctor.

jwrnsktr
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
OK, I'm going on Tuesday at 1:30, I'll post after that. What is OP?

dbny
01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
OK, I'm going on Tuesday at 1:30, I'll post after that. What is OP?

Thank you. OP = Original Poster

And thanks also, to the great mod who unlocked this thread and merged my new thread in with it.

uncfigsktr
01-07-2008, 08:11 PM
I know firsthand that jwrnsktr is in real pain. Let's hope she gets some positive news from the doctor tomorrow.

SkatingOnClouds
01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
My money's on the banging the toe in too hard on flips option.
Seem to recall having this problem myself years ago.8-)

jwrnsktr
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
OK, whoever voted for banging the toe pick into the ice too hard for jumps wins! Apparently I had a bigger bruise than I thought under the nail and I had to have half my nail removed and the old "gunk" scraped out. It was putting a lot of pressure on the nerver endings under the nail. In fact, the doctor said it was still injured, never healed and there would be no banging of that toe pick into the ice for at least three weeks. I can only skate for one hour at a time and less if it hurts. I'm so happy it was not a circulation problem. Anyway, obviously I have to correct my technique when I try those jumps again. Case closed. Thanks for all the input.

mikawendy
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Oy vey, the treatment sounds painful, too! I hope your toe is feeling better soon and that skating on it is pain free so that you don't have to cut the time even shorter.

Isk8NYC
01-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Get well soon!

dbny
01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Ouch! Good thing you went to the doctor, and thank you for letting us in on what the problem was. Hope your toe heals quickly.

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Ouch, poor you! Do give it a real chance to heal up, and don't be tempted back too soon....

jwrnsktr
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm off the ice for a little while til the yukky mess heals. I HATE BEING OFF THE ICE. Anyway, thanks for all the notes. Jeanette

mikawendy
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I remember reading somewhere that visualizing movement like skating or running can improve motor memory in a way similar to actually doing the movement. Not as strong an effect, but still an effect. So when you're off the ice, jwrnsktr, maybe you could visualize yourself skating--to somewhat feed the craving to skate and help muscle memory at the same time...

SkatingOnClouds
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Of course the reason I picked the problem is that I did it myself, years ago. Back then, I used to lift my leg before picking, and really bang it in. Since returning to skating more than 20 years later, I made a conscious decision not to do that, and now reach back to pick. Took a while, but I am getting the hang of it, and it is better. Doesn't hurt, either.

jwrnsktr
01-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Good idea, thanks.