View Full Version : Need Tips on buying a skates

ouijaouija
12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
I started out and am still using these, but the black male version

https://www.hockeymania.co.uk/product_view/470.php3

But the screws don't screw (nails, not rivets) in well any more, it is an all leather top but PVC sole (Wilson Excel Blade). I am not sure if repairs are differnt for a PVC sole compared to leather soles? If anyone has any tips please do tell me. I think these boots might last a couple of months, but the screws get very loose several times during a session, meaning I have to screw them in every 20 mins or so.

Is there an advantage to a leather sole or not?

So when I buy a boot I have to bear in mind that
a) There is no way for me to repair them as no-one offers this service
b) I have to buy it online
c) Cost in relation to my skating level, skates in the UK are generally more expensive than the USA

I have been skating over a year now, no lessons, I can do basics like forward backwards crossovers, one foot glides, three jumps, forward three turns (not learned backward ones yet) and one foot spins.

What kind of money should I be spending? My first boot was £90, is it worth spending a whole lot more, considering I am still a novice? Will I notice a difference with buying a more expensive boot and blade?

http://www.everglides.co.uk/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54&products_id=395

Is an option,

Or of course, buy boot and blade separately, but the leather boots on their own cost huge amount of money on this website, i.e 380$ !!

Is it worth splashing out on a separate boot and blade?

I havent been skating very much lately, but I think I will skate more in 08', I think I will be skating once a week from now on.

Sorry for the long post!

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Is there not a rink shop at Bristol? My memory of the rink tells me that there is, but I could, of course, be thinking of somewhere else.

If there isn't, ask regular skaters where they go to buy their skates, since buying on-line is not ideal, as you can't try them on.