View Full Version : Anyone bringing kids to AN?

herniated
12-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Thought this might be interesting? I am bringing my 8 year old and husband too. I noticed at the 2006 AN there were not a lot of school age kids. I understand why though. This year my son is in third grade and I just can't take him out of school for too long. He will miss too much work!! And my husband works mostly nights, so there is no one to watch him. (My son that is :lol: )

Anyway, I know I don't need to justify myself, just wanted to share. So, I am only going to compete in the showcase event and stay the weekend. At least I will get the AN experience and also go to the competitiors party.

So, back to the original question. Is anyone bringing thier kids? Maybe we could do some family stuff together when not skating?

sk8er1964
01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm not planning on going to AN this year, but last year I did take my son and a hockey friend of his to Chicago with my parents and me. Hubby stayed home - someone had to take care of the dogs. :)

The boys were in 6th grade, and it was their spring break. I read them the riot act before the event, telling them that the event was all about us and not them, and that they needed to behave. I hope that they did - got one nice complement about them at the venue.

Anyway, we did do some sightseeing, and saw a movie - things I probably would not have done if they hadn't been there. I actually enjoyed having my son at an event like that - he was very supportive and enthusiastic about my my skating. Probably won't have the opportunity for that kind of support now that he is almost a teenager 8O .

herniated
01-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Sounds like it was a good time last year! My family is usually with me when I compete and like you, I probably wouldn't have seen and done some of the things we did if they were not with me. They are supportive of my skating too. Hopefully your son will continue to be supportive. Sounds like he will be.:)

I enjoy having them with me too. If I do a really local competition or test I go alone sometimes. Depending on everyone's schedule. I should say that when I test I a-l-w-a-y-s go alone. I get way too nervous. Only my coach is with me.

patatty
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Herniated, I feel your pain. I probably won't make it to AN for another 10 years because I can't pull my kids out of school for this, and even if I could, my husband would never agree to take time off from work to go with me to a skating competition - I can't even get him to watch the kids when I have a local competition, so even leaving the kids at home with him for 3 days is not an option either. I definitely don't want him at any of my competitions anyway- he is such a heckler when he watches my videos!

Even though I would appreciate some family support at times, I kind of like the fact that my skating is a private thing that doesn't involve anyone else.

herniated
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Forgive me patattny for saying this... but that sucks that your husband 'heckles' your videos!!!:twisted: You are a beautiful skater!!! Such power and grace. Now I'm going to sound like my mother saying this, but.. he's just jealous that he can't do it - jerk!!! Sorry, again. Hope I didn't offend you.

Though I do agree with you about skating being a private thing. I wouldn't want them with me during practices. Bleach!:roll: The practice is my time to escape. And yes, escape from them at times.:lol:

Hope to see you at DH soon. Though I know the mornings are rough for you.

techskater
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Patatty, I am sorry to hear your spouse is, uh, less than supportive. My spouse has his sport, I have mine and generally we don't "cross" in terms of discussing our respective sports, but last year when I was headed to Burgoyne, he surprised me with a picture of our only dog at the time (we have since adopted a second) and himself and a good luck wish from my "two biggest fans" (himself and the dog). :o

I am pretty local to where ANs was hosted in 07. My husband was more than willing to let my friends from out of state stay with us and decorated my car on the first day of competition (the night before, actually, since we heard there was supposed to be a lot of snow and got up super early to leave for the rink) with garland and pictures on all the windows! He rocks in terms of support, even if he doesn't want to discuss my training.

2salch0w
01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
In terms of kids and this year's venue ... I brought my kids to Lake Placid for AN in 2004, as it was their Spring Break. They were 8 and 6 at the time. They both absolutely LOVE Lake Placid and I highly recommend it for family vacations.

Neither of them cares much for skating, but they were good during my event. They were quite taken with the 1980 rink and took off running the bleachers, which I thought was harmless until I saw them tearing back and forth behind the judges table. Ack! At least it wasn't during my event - just my ex-partners. heh heh.:roll:

Tim

kander
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I definitely don't want him at any of my competitions anyway- he is such a heckler when he watches my videos!

Even though I would appreciate some family support at times, I kind of like the fact that my skating is a private thing that doesn't involve anyone else.

That's awful that your husband makes fun of you. I hope you don't let it discourage you.

Kevin

jskater49
01-03-2008, 05:37 AM
I took my dd with me to the Midwest sectionals last year as a coach. She was great. I'm not going to Nationals, being a pre-bronze member for life, but if I was I'd take her as my coach!

j

Isk8NYC
01-03-2008, 07:43 AM
I have a few women friends who are non-skaters that participate in annual marathons, triathalons, and distance swims. They turn it into a "girls' weekend" by going with friends from college, high school, elsewhere. They compete, then have a spa visit afterward, do sight-seeing and share a hotel suite. It becomes an annual event for them that they plan for every year.

LP has a lot of things for the family to do, not just ski slopes. There are dog sled runs, snowmobiling, indoor pools, shopping, etc. Is there some activity they like to do that you don't? That would buy you some "watching" time. lol

herniated
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I kind of like all the things the rest of the family do, except snowmobileing. But they are pretty good about me going to watch other skaters. Sometimes they watch too but the kid is 8 years old and he can only take so much. I did connect with another skater (not on the forum) who is bringing her THREE kids and husband and we will do some kind of get together. Or the spouses can take the kids to do something. he,he,he:lol: