View Full Version : New&shiny or old&dull - Practice dec31-jan6

Sessy
12-31-2007, 06:12 AM
There wasn't one new thread yet so I decided to make one.
New = good
Old = bad

After yesterday's mediocre lesson and the last few weeks in general, where my ankle was growing stronger but kept hurting and it seemed like I was only loosing stuff and not learning anything new, I was just about ready to just quit for the rest of the season.

But today...
Holy schmoly. New and shiny! I did a biellmann spin. 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :lol:

Well, sorta. It wasn't *over* my head and it was only 2 revs but... Seriously. I was just fooling around, quite not expecting to be able to do it. It went about as high as my biellmann spiral is on a bad day with muscle ache. Best part, it was repeatable! I think I've got to thank the ballet teacher for this one to be honest, it's his last 2 lessons that made me conscious of the fact that I have muscles in my back which I can use to stabilize my biellmann and spirals.
I'd like to think it's the universe's way of telling me not to quit. I also did 2 sit spins which were sitting and a bunch of backspins which were better than anything I've ever done before, backspin-wise. Everything *was* travelling, but I think that's just remains of the flu.

Helen88
12-31-2007, 08:25 AM
New

Went skating on the outdoor rink in Hyde Park yesterday :D.

It was actually much better ice than I thought it would be. Didn't get much practicing done admittedly, on unfamiliar, crowded ice, but I did squash in a couple of drags, back and forward crossovers, and a few lengths of cross rolls. I got some very admiring looks in a rink full of beginners in dodgy hire skates, clutching the barrier and each other, and falling over :D.

Kim to the Max
12-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Old:

Skated at the Pettit Center in Milwaukee, and the ice is softer than what I'm used to...which meant that moves sucked...my back double 3s had no oomph...and I just got my skates sharpened, yet I'm sliding all over the place! I was sliding especially on my back power 3s. Either the problem is that I need a deeper hollow, or it's a problem with my technique; the latter is probably the issue!

My scratch/back scratch left me again :(

New:
Jumps were good :) Spins were decent. Camel and camel/sit were quite good.

I get my car back on the 2nd from the shop (however, the "old" part is that I will be $500 poorer due to my deductible...darn crappy weather and darn students who don't know how to drive!). But...having my car back means that I can go to my lesson at noon and then to the freestyle session that night :) yay!!!

Lots of skating this week, seeing next week work really starts again, and I'll be back to a "normal" schedule (or semi-normal...next week I can't skate on Thursday/Friday nights because of training)...however...I was selfish and scheduled my staff meetings around ice time this semester ;) I just hope that another night meeting I have won't be scheduled for Tuesday nights!

liz_on_ice
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Last practice of 2007, had the day off from work and went to 9am freestyle.
changefoot spin was somewhat shiny, as was dance step. Jumps on the dull side.

new and shiny - I bought myself a pile of crystals and a stone setter, I'm going to tart up that turquoise dress for competition. Wheee!

Terri C
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
I too was off from work and skated at my morning session.

New and Shiny:
My Bronze CM program is coming along. I found that I have a better transition into back crosstrokes when I go into them from a RFI mohawk, so I canned the RFI3 entrance and it felt way better and less awkward.

Old and Dull:
Did my freestyle program for the first time since the test- jumps were fine, spins were awful.

Sessy
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
new and shiny - I bought myself a pile of crystals and a stone setter, I'm going to tart up that turquoise dress for competition. Wheee!

Ohhhh shiny!!! :lol: :D :D :D

vesperholly
12-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm going to tart up that turquoise dress
:lol: I love that expression.

Isk8NYC
12-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I bought myself a pile of crystals and a stone setter, I'm going to tart up that turquoise dress for competition. Wheee!Ahhh, so that's where the Bedazzler went... tsk, tsk.

Bought some more exercise toys and worked out off-ice.
Still can't do more than one rev on the spinner using my left (CCW) foot. What gives? I'm fine with a backspin - three revs, even.
Waiting to see what DD's schedule is going to be for the week before I plan my own skating.

myste12
12-31-2007, 05:00 PM
But today...
Holy schmoly. New and shiny! I did a biellmann spin. 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :lol:

Great job Sessy, that spin is crazy hard!

Old:
I'm testing retesting junior moves next week, so I need to get in some full run throughs of the test. However, with the kids out of school, all of the freestyles are mobbed, and I'm lucky if I get in half of a pattern without having to dodge somebody.

liz_on_ice
12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Ahhh, so that's where the Bedazzler went... tsk, tsk.
sshhhhh, don't tell numbers I snuck it over to another forum!

Still can't do more than one rev on the spinner using my left (CCW) foot. What gives? I'm fine with a backspin - three revs, even.
Waiting to see what DD's schedule is going to be for the week before I plan my own skating.

I have to get my spinner out again and try it on backspins.

kander
12-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Old: Still two footing most of my jumps. My scratch spin seems to have gotten the sudden urge to travel.

New: Had the day off and went skating :) Landed a couple good sals. Had 3 or 4 right on axel attempts. I'm jumping out a lot more and swinging less.

Kevin

SkatingOnClouds
01-01-2008, 01:24 AM
OLD

7 days until the rink re-opens. Have now had to go without 3 of my regular sessions, and am really feeling it, talk about withdrawal.

My whole body is missing it, I just want to JUMP!!! I can live without spins or anything else, but I need to jump and rotate in the air. Even find myself doing off-ice loops, and I rarely do jumps off-ice in case I wrench my landing knee. I have a skate spinner, but it isn't spinning I miss.

I don't normally go to the Monday night club session, but will try to on the coming Monday, just because it's the first day the rink is open, and I just don't think I can wait any longer.

Aaargh, why do they do this to me!!!!??

Rusty Blades
01-01-2008, 08:55 AM
.... talk about withdrawal.....

{{{HUG}}}

I know what you feel. You WILL survive, believe it or not.

(On the 4th of 4 days off myself.)

liz_on_ice
01-01-2008, 01:20 PM
new and shiny - I got a changefoot spin for my birthday 8O :D
I've been working it and the backspin hard all week, and it came together for a couple of good ones today - even got speed and 3 revs on one of them.

old and dull - back to work tomorrow - no more skating almost every day.

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2008, 05:57 AM
I got some very admiring looks in a rink full of beginners in dodgy hire skates, clutching the barrier and each other, and falling over :D.Very dodgy hire skates - we went up there for a walk round on Sunday and were amused at the vivid orange hire skates - never seen them that colour before!

Old: No lesson for us as coach1 didn't have enough pupils to come in, and coach2 didn't arrive until just before Husband left. I decided not to bother with a solo lesson from her, although I could have had one had I wished.

New: We realised that, although we are doing the same old exercises, we are actually getting very different corrections - coach1 never used to worry about where our hips were, or where our free legs were pointing.... now, he does!

Sessy
01-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Shiny:

1 - The 'biellmann' spin thingy is still working, but it seems that if I try to pull my blade over my head I get up on my toepicks, so getting it high enough to count is gonna be a problem. Revolution-wise it was going better than yesterday. I'm gonna try it some more for a couple of days, then film it if it doesn't disappear in the meantime. I had somewhat of the same problem on the forward biellmann spiral so I guess if I improve that, the spin will improve too. Cool stuff.

2 - I met a skating friend at the rink today, so I actually had a witness to this "biellmann" thingy.
I never see her anymore because I don't skate at her rink anymore, and she never skated at my rink before. I was very surprised and excited to see her. She had her 13 year old sister with her, whom she was teaching, that sister is packing some *serious* talent. She's also extremely jumpy and has very nice flexibility. Must be a family thing there.

3 - This skating friend taught me a back sit spin. I can't do a forward sit spin, but a rfi-to-backsit is apparently not a (big) problem... 8O

I wonder if it's okay to test a *back* sit spin for interbronze freestyle? We only have one testing track, but our interbronze MIF is exactly the same as your adult pre-bronze MIF, so is there a sit spin on your adult pre-bronze MIF and if yes, is it required that it be a forward one? Or is one actually free in the choice?

jenlyon60
01-02-2008, 07:37 AM
There is a sit spin required for the Adult Bronze free skating test.

Rusty Blades
01-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Dull: ME! YAWN! Sure would like to have stayed in bed this morning! Couldn't though - coach's last session for a week - she is flying off to a warm climate for a week in the sun, so is head coach. And here I thought there was no money in coaching ;)

Stuffed up sinuses didn't help spins! Even the upright spin was still on holidays. Actually pretty much EVERYTHING was still on holidays! :cry:

Shiny: The lesson - not me! - was VERY productive - good critique on a lot of things:

Sit spin - take my time on the entry and get the free leg strongly out in front!

Waltz jump - get deeper in the knee and more spring on takeoff (had one nice one, lots of height - coach saw it! LOL!)

Toe Loop - start deep and don't start to rise until on the picking foot - keep arms tight thru check

Back XO - found out my problem is I am not comfortable on BO edges - get better BO edges with my back into the circle

I think she has left me with enough to work on for the next week! 8O

flying~camel
01-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Shiny:

- My program run-throughs! I did my freestyle program with music for the 1st time in a month and it was totally clean (a bit behind the music, but clean nonetheless)!

After watching the program, my coach decided to replace my footwork sequence with a spiral sequence and change my final sit spin to a back spin with a change of position (for added difficulty).

I also did 2 run-throughs of my new interp program which were both clean as well!

Dull:

- My blades! I so need a sharpening! Good thing our club's sharpener will be in town tomorrow!

Morgail
01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Shiny:
-This weekend, I had two good practices. Finally fixed my backspin, thanks to vesperholly's help:)

Dull:
-Yesterday's skate. All of it. The ice was SO bad, and my ankle was huge and achy from doing so much standing at my new year's party the night before. Moves were sluggish - no glide at all from the ice. Spins couldn't happen because I kept catching my blade in ice ruts and my ankle was just not in the mood to hold up a spin. Jumps were okay but not great (lutz was especially bad). Dances were okay. I felt very discouraged even though everything was beyond my control. It was the first time since I started skating again in Jan. '06 that I was counting down the minutes until I could get off the ice.

There is a session tonight and tomorrow night, but I'm thinking that it's not worth my time, money, and sanity because I'm sure the ice is going to be awful again. I'll think I'll just hold off on skating until my lesson on Friday, and start practices again this weekend (hopefully with better ice).

Shiny Again:
-To try to be positive, I did make some progress last night, despite the icky ice and angry ankle. Improved my timing on the salchow, slowed the 8-step mohawk down to work on keeping a good rhythm, and worked on getting down in my knees for back cross strokes.

Kim to the Max
01-02-2008, 12:58 PM
New&Shiny:

I just filled out my test application for my Intermediate Moves for a test session on February 1st. We will do my Pre-Juv Freestyle at the one on February 29th. :D I just need to check with someone at my club to see if they need to sign it (I am technically an individual member, but I have an associate membership with a local club, and I will be doing a home club membership with them next year). I also need coach to sign.

Scratch/back scratch made a reappearance for my lesson at noon today.

Old&Dull:

Fricking brackets! The RFI and LBO are the only ones that would not pass a test at this point :( Tonight at a rare Wednesday club ice, I will have to work on these...

Lutz is still MIA. I have always freaked out at the lutz (no clue why, it just is) and today they were a complete mess. Part of it is technique, and needing to get control over my upper body and part of it is mental...

Also need to get quicker at the skating/footwork between elements in my program and also start to "perform" the program. At least I have a little more time to perfect that one. Part of that problem is just general stamina!

myste12
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
New:
Jumps including double sal and double toe have been fairly consistent for the last few days when my program music isn't playing.

Old:
The double sal and double toe disappear when I try to do my program with the music. :(

doubletoe
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
New&Shiny:

Old&Dull:

Fricking brackets! The RFI and LBO are the only ones that would not pass a test at this point :( Tonight at a rare Wednesday club ice, I will have to work on these...

Lutz is still MIA. I have always freaked out at the lutz (no clue why, it just is) and today they were a complete mess. Part of it is technique, and needing to get control over my upper body and part of it is mental...

I hear you on the RFI-LBO brackets! The LBO bracket was the one I always got stuck on. What fixed it for me was imagining I was doing the bracket on an imaginary hockey circle. I push straight back, then look into the imaginary red dot in the center of the circle until I reach the bottom of the lobe and do the turn. Another thing that seems to help is keeping the free leg almost crossed in front of the skating leg on the entrance edge and never letting it open out.

Speaking of brackets and lutzes, have you ever tried a lutz from a LFI bracket? It's something I started doing in an attempt to convince myself that I wasn't wasting my time working on Intermediate MIF, LOL! It's actually less scary than you would think, and it doesn't involve that long LBO takeoff edge that messes with your head. Another good thing about it is that it puts your body in the right position for a good takeoff. Your right shoulder is already back, and bringing your free foot to the heel of your skating foot on the exit opens the hip out so that you stay on an outside edge as you reach back to pick. The longer and flatter you can make the bracket, the better it works!

Kim to the Max
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
New!!!!!!

Went skating tonight again :) wow, I haven't done two separate sessions in one day in a long time!

But.....I LANDED TWO AXELS!!!!!!! Now, they weren't pretty or good, but shoot, they were on one foot! I started this jump wayyyyyy back in 1994 before coach #1 moved to Hawaii and left us, haven't landed it since. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Moves (minus the brackets of course) were pretty gosh darn good...even was able to do the power circles the way coach wants them :)

doubletoe
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I LANDED TWO AXELS!!!!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!!:D

Skate@Delaware
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Ahhh, so that's where the Bedazzler went... tsk, tsk.

My old coach says that spinners are best for backspin practice....I don't know but I can't do a good regular spin on one but I'm good with the backspin AND a spin in the other direction (same foot as my backspin foot).

new & shiny: cchoreography for exhibition & competiton (artistic spotlight) was introduced tonight and worked on. It's cool but now I need to whip up a flapper dress ASAP!!! I have a dress I can fall back on but.....it's not flappy enough!

old & dull: and I need a chair as my prop......

new & shiny: managed TWO falls tonight but these are GOOD because they were from loop landings!!! ON ONE FOOT!!!! I did not hurt my back more (I'm still walking so thats a good sign) I just did not have my free foot in a good position. AND I managed a fantastic 7 revolution backsin!!! It was amazing, it just went on and on and on! I know it was 7 revs because I counted the little loops...... ;)

old & dull: scratch spins sucked-I'm fighting a bad cold so bleh!

After meeting with the doc and knowing that surgery is in my future, I am sucking up skating as much as I can!!! I don't know when my surgery will be, I won't know until I see the surgeon on the 23rd of this month. I have another mri and an emg to get first....ewww I hate that test!!!

In the meantime, I'm skating and working out to beef up my body.

Rusty Blades
01-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Old & Dull: Got a head cold, all stuffed up and dopey - not going anywhere today :cry:

Sessy
01-03-2008, 04:51 AM
New&Shiny:

My SnowWhite inline frames (a birthday gift) with extra durable wheels arrived today!!! :bow: :D
We have ice till the middle of march this season, so after that I intend to put them to good use on the concrete basketball field.

BatikatII
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Today was my first day back on the ice since we finished the ice panto on Dec 16th - and I hadn't really done any serious skating for the week prior to
that either - so I was a bit wary.

I was expecting a half hour to try and get my skate legs back before my lesson but coach's earlier pupil hadn't turned up so he asked to take me early in case someone showed up later and wanted a lesson, so being an obling soul I plunged straight in.

It wasnt' too bad as we started off with lots of moves around the rink and worked up to both way 3 jumps, salchows and toe-loops. Then the moment of truth - a loop - and yes it is still there, landed first time as was my flip. Yay!

Even managed a few revs on a backspin so there is still hope I can take my level 2 sometime soon.

Met a newbie adult too which was nice. She has skated a bit in her teens though so no doubt will soon overtake me.

All in all not too bad a start to the new year.:)

myste12
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
New!!!!!!
I LANDED TWO AXELS!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!

myste12
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Speaking of brackets and lutzes, have you ever tried a lutz from a LFI bracket?

My coach used that trick on me when I was working on intermediate moves. I'm consistently on a flat for the lutz and have the hardest time getting a real outside edge. The first lutz that I did from the bracket entrance was on an outside edge all the way. Unfortunately, once I realized what was going on, I started flatzing again. :(

Isk8NYC
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
New & Shiny:
I did a few recognizable laybacks and I was able to see not only the ceiling but also the wall tops! Different arm positions, too.
Most of the spins were very good, even the change foot and back camel. Most were centered and fast.
Jumps were good, higher than usual, I think.

Old & Dull:
Patched the serpentines and back circles, which were okay.
Started practicing loop figures, not good at all.
Forward camels were weak and uncentered.
Still not landing the single jumps, but I'm getting closer.

Tweaked my right knee on crossovers, so I skipped them on the MITF patterns. Other patterns were really good, almost no touchdowns on the three-on-the-line.

vesperholly
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Not practicing makes me jump better?? 'Splain that one, Lucy!

New and shiny: Switched the entrance on my double sal to RBO 3, RFI mohawk. A zillion, billion times better. I even rotated a couple, though none were close to standing up. Axel-loop combination also strong.

Old and dull: Camel spins are still meh, and sit spins ... :giveup: I know I shouldn't expect them to get better when I never practice them, but I feel like such a fool practicing such a "basic" element on sessions where people are landing triples.

jazzpants
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
This is for yesterday's lessson:

Old and Dull:
Didn't get the promised harness jump. Someone decided to cone off a section of the ice to do patch. Unfortunately the section that he coned off was RIGHT on the path of the harness!!! My wonderful NYC coach commented "I wonder why they couldn't just cone off the other side of the rink so people would still have access to the harness. I shrugged to be polite, but in my mind I'm thinking "Someone is NOT thinking things out here." It could very well be also that they didn't cone off the end of the ice on the other side b/c that's where the entrance to the rink is. However, one can still be careful to go around the patch and skate thru...so beats me!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/a050.gif

Anyway, sad for me, b/c I was all prepared with those skatingsafe.com hip pads (to take a lot of bad falls given my history with the harness.) and a change of dry pants for changing into when I'm done getting dropped on the wet ice! :lol: :halo:

Also, coming here... I had a 9am lesson, The FS session starts ON the hour every hour and it took me pretty much the ENTIRE 8am session (which was 50 minutes) to warm up for my lesson!!! It's F-F-F-F-R-REEEEE-ZING here in Manhattan!!! (It was just below freezing today and I saw wee bits of snow flurries.) Worst part was that it was WORSE today!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/r020.gif (Too cold for this Californian!!!) 8O

New and Shiny:

BUUUUUT, he DID find an excuse for me to change into a pair of dry pants -- shoot the ducks! Why? B/c he wants my sit spins low to the ground. I think I managed a few of them going forward too. (Backwards was a hopeless case though, even though supposedly it's easier. Yeah, RIIIIIIGHT!!! :twisted: :P ) But secondary coach would be proud of me here! She wanted to get me to do the same thing a few months ago. I still don't have a low to the ground sit spin, but at least I'm trying for them now!!! NYC coach also got a kick out of me trying for the lower sit position after all those shoot-the-duck exercises. (Yeah, RIIIIGHT! And you don't think that I know that if I don't TRY to lower my current sit spin that you would get annoyed and say something like "What did we do all those shoot the ducks for?" :?? Sorry, buddy!!! :twisted: )
I did get the beginning of what he wanted to do on the harness with me... and that was to go into the jump on a very straight line. Not a problem for me! I usually (try to) do that! :D
Got a new foot position on setting up on my loop jump which supposedly helps me to get more over on my landing side. I managed some very nice loop jumps towards the end of the session and the foot position on the take off was pretty much what he wanted out of me. I like it! I think I'm gonna keep it and bring it home with me! :mrgreen:
A small but very important thing... he worked on how to present myself coming out of a landing to a jump or a spin. Small little thing but it helps show sureness of the jump landing... "and judges give EXTRA POINTS for that type of stuff." I'll bite! :mrgreen: (Besides, both of my coaches back home told me the problem too, but he gave me some keywords to think of so I would do what he wanted me to do. It worked. It's on video too! I think primary coach will be please. So would secondary coach too, but after she gets pissy about not doing it when SHE tells me to do it. :twisted: :lol: (I'm SORRY!!! But this NYC coach has this way of talking to me and I just *get* things. If I don't get, he's very good at figuring out another way to 'splaining it to me.)The guy is thinking too much like my secondary coach! I wonder if they DID talk!!! Hmmmm? ;)

blackmanskating
01-03-2008, 05:04 PM
New: First day taking lessons after the holiday break. I must say that I did pretty well. Landed a few clean axels after a few failed. I even did a double loop-loop combination. Forward Camel spin was nice. Even my back-crossovers seemed more quiet and controlled. (Less of a ripping sound) But they felt just as powerful. I have no idea why.

Old: I'm really slow in checking my landing. That's what caused me to fall on my failed axels. I gained 3 pounds. (Gee thanks Mom) Double sal is still gone. Double flip was cheated. Double toe isn't there either. Most of the double loop attempts were cheated too. Didn't even try the double lutz or double axel. I didn't wanna kill myself.

I'm rusty but I'll get it back. Must be the holiday dinner weight that's throwing me off. :frus:

BlackManSkating

doubletoe
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, two nights ago I went to bed at 2:30am, and this morning I had to get up at 5:00am to skate my first early morning session in 2 weeks. Considering the 5-hour time zone shift, I didn't do too terribly.

New & Shiny
- Had a lesson with my secondary coach, always a treat
- Got through my program without the stamina problem I'd been expecting
- Coach's comment on the program: "The jumps were yummy." (I was surprised at how neat and correct they were today)

Old & Dull
- I used up my one good spin in the warmup. None of the 3 spins showed up in my program run-through.:roll:
- Still having issues with backspin and back sitspin entry, but I got a tip at the very end of the lesson that I will test out tomorrow. Hopefully, it will help.

Terri C
01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Also, coming here... I had a 9am lesson, The FS session starts ON the hour every hour and it took me pretty much the ENTIRE 8am session (which was 50 minutes) to warm up for my lesson!!! It's F-F-F-F-R-REEEEE-ZING here in Manhattan!!! (It was just below freezing today and I saw wee bits of snow flurries.) Worst part was that it was WORSE today!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/r020.gif (Too cold for this Californian!!!) 8O

It was freezing here too in VB..... I took my skate bag into work with me and put in the backseat of the car on the way to the rink and cranked up the heat!! I also only skated a hour.

New and Shiny:
New artistic program music that Primary Coach had a bugger of a time to cut and will do a smoother version at some point this weekend.
Also had her sign my Valentine Open and Easterns applications.
Showed her my attitude to backscratch spin that I want to put in new program.
Did nice forward scratch, backscratch and sit and she asked where these were on test day. I replied "Say no more!" when she asked this.

Old and Dull:
Too cold to skate and back to the crowded circus like atmosphere of afternoon freestyles again. Actually they may be getting worse because the morning ice sessions we had in the fall have been cut, due to lack of participating skaters. If they would have only allowed people to use the freestyle passes as opposed to paying a contract, it may have been better.

slusher
01-03-2008, 07:26 PM
This is for yesterday's lessson:

Old and Dull:
Didn't get the promised harness jump. Someone decided to cone off a section of the ice to do patch. Unfortunately the section that he coned off was RIGHT on the path of the harness!!!

That guy would last about five seconds in my club. A coach would put a kid in the harness and wind right up and they'd aim for him, it would be fun to see the look on the face of the figures skater because harness has the right of way over everything, even if you're in your program with music and six coaches following you.

Speaking of coaches: Old and Dull. Heee, not old and dull but I kicked my coach today and she was not too pleased. She didn't fall over or anything and it was an Accident, so I ran out and bought her a coffee for her next session.

New and Shiny:
We had a video playback. This is normally a horrible event but I've been having problems with spins and she keeps talking about my shoulders and I have no idea. So, I do a bunch of upright spins and I can see the problem (also my fat behind, never mind). Some corrections, more video, more skating more video. Spins feel better now. Hopefully I can keep them.

jazzpants
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
This is for today's lesson!

Old and Dull
Even COLDER than yesterday morning! We have black ice too and DH almost tripped on a couple of those! (And wouldn't you know it? The weather report says that it's gonna be sunny and close to 70 this weekend in NYC! Of course, I'm flying back to SFO tomorrow to a MAJOR thunderstorm and temps in the low 40's to high 50!!! :roll: )

It's HARNESS DAY!!! 8O 8O 8O

New and shiny:
We went thru some basic safety thing with the harness and all. Had to remember to stay as close to the line of where the harness is. I had a bit of trouble seeing the ice line that NYC coach drew at the beginning. Thankfully, he made another one that I could see. But the beginning went well. We did simple jumping up and scoop the arms straight up w/o raising the elbows or the shoulders. I figured out that when I'm jumping up straight and bringing my arms in the way NYC coach wants it, it's as if I'm doing a self Heimlich on myself. (Which is not too much of a stretch given how tight he tied the straps around my waist on the harness either!!! :lol: )

Old and Dull Again:

Then came the torture. I tried doing jump rotations and it just flat out refuse to work. I told my NYC coach "No, I haven't done off ice jumps!" But I didn't tell him only b/c I want to preserve my lower back from doing too much impact on it. I probably should now. On top of that, I'm not jumping and keeping my back straight either. :frus: (Again, the self Heimlich thing sorta helps a bit. LOL!!!)

Shiny and New again:

I got a little bit of progress towards the end of the session... well if in this case it was NOT chickening out on trying to land it. I think I did land those loop jumps in there with my legs crossed and at least a wee bit closer to what looks like a back scratch position.

But the best part.... I think NYC just did the impossible... he's MUCH closer to fixing the toe waltz problem I've been having for AGES!!! Of course, it's a tiny wimpy toe loop jump, but it sure looks fixed in the video!!! 8O :D :bow:

Old and Dull Again:
Last lesson with NYC coach 'til NEXT Dec!!! I'm gonna miss him SOOOO much!!! And this year I've made a lot of progress with him in just those 3 lessons alone!!! WAAAAAH!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

sk8tegirl06
01-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Dull: Today was my last lesson for a month. Coach was a touch late but stayed later to make up for it. The rink was putting new light bulbs in so the first 10-15 minutes there were workers, extension cords, and a genie (lift machine to get to the ceiling) on the ice...interesting.

Shiny: Started alternating 3s today, so I have officially learned all pre moves! The concept seems easy enough, but actually doing them is a totally different story. I think I may have done a sit/scratch combo spin? Not sure how much of a sit it really was. Now just lots of practice till test time...March/April maybe?

Laura H
01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
New and Shiny:

Well, for a start, I finally GOT to skate . . . scheduling/crowded public sessions over the winter school break has meant very little ice time for me! But I finally got to attend a public session last night and it was very sparsely attended, which allowed a lot of room to work on whatever I wanted to!

Toe loops!!! I have (theoretically) been able to do these for a while, but not very well . . . last night though, I worked on the entrance a bit, and the proper check, and then tried the jump itself . . . wow . . .what a difference it makes when you don't prerotate. They felt great. (I also tried a tip - to find a spot on take off and then look for the same spot on the landing . . . it helped a lot!). So then I just kept doing them over and over - hopefully it will "stick" for next time.

And since I was having such luck with the toe loop, I went for broke and tried a combination . . . waltz + toe loop . . . and it worked! I did it several times . . . only had to abort one of them due to wonky landing on the waltz jump . . . coach will be quite surprised at next lesson if muscle memory doesn't fail me!

Old and Dull: spins traveling all over the place again :giveup: . . .grrrr. I had a couple of nicely centered ones, but not quite able to pinpoint what was different about those. Oh well.

Somewhere in between: salchows were mostly OK. Still not as solid as I would like them to be, but I can at least count on landing them most of the time. It's a start . . . :roll:

Laura H
01-04-2008, 08:20 AM
jazzpants . . . thanks for the self-Heimlich imagery . . . I consistently have the dorkiest arm positions on jumps . . . :roll: I find it really hard to scoop and pull up and still keep those shoulders down and back!!

Laura H
01-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh, forgot another DULL item from last skate . . . I am such a WIMP on the flip jump . . . I can do the setup and the takeoff/pick, but scared to actually pull in and rotate the jump . . . :frus: I blame DS . . . he had the worst crashes trying to learn this jump and I think I have that in mind subconciously!

coskater64
01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Got to skate 2x this week, which is what I am allowed only 45 minutes each session. Learned APBFM and ABFM I don't like that new move on the APBFM test it is very odd and really requires some good edging into the lobe with the 3 turns. I can see that it does help build skill for the next level it is just difficult for me with the RFI 3 turn and the other side the steps leading up to the LFI 3 turn are difficult for me because they are very deep. I am still just barely able to press 70 lbs on my right leg carrying all my body weight on a deep edge is slightly difficult for me still. What is very interesting is my backward stroking, xovers and several of the prelim and pre juv moves are very easy for me. A lot of my power is back because my legs are much more even with regards to ability to flex from the hip, which I haven't been able to do easily for 2-3 years.
My coach says if I am good, she will let me skate one extra session next week. I started doing very minimal pointe work again, both legs are rather pooped but it all seems good. I am off to the gym to do weights.

Hope everyone has a happy new year!!:halo: :halo:

Scarlett
01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Shiny-
-Back on the ice after a 2 week break. I actually could have skated yesterday but it is so cold on the East Coast I just couldn't bear to leave the warm house and go to the cold ice rink. I met MdVaSkater today.
-Coach decided it was moves day and they weren't awful.

Dull-
-Sit spin. Do you think somewhere I'll just get credit for a broken leg squat spin because that I can do.
-Loops. Am learning to do them from a crossover entry. Oh the inhumanity.

Rusty Blades
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Dull: Felt so crappy yesterday I didn't skate or go to work. Still not feeling well this morning but no more time to lounge about! Coach will be back in a week and I want to show SOME progress!

The rink was deserted when I arrived at 6:15. I spent 20 minutes looking for a maintenance man to unlock the music cabinet - nobody around. Normally the night man doesn't bother closing the Zam gates after the last flood but he closed them last night AND left hockey nets on the ice! Fought with the Zam doors (damn they're heavy!), pushed the hockey nets off the ice, and closed the Zam doors again. Still no music key to be found. Booted up for 7 a.m., checked for a maintenance man again and found one - got the music key and put the music on. [I connect my MP3 player to a pocket sized FM transmitter and my MP3 player comes through the rink's FM radio and sound system ;) ]

Shiny: After warming up, the rink was STILL deserted - not a soul around - no coaches, no skaters! :mrgreen: I had intended to work on elements but the vacant ice was too good an opportunity to pass up so I put my MP3 player and my FM transmitter in my pocket (to control my music from on-ice) and started working on the first half on my Bronze Freeskate program. Oops! Needed to make some major changes to the first half - hadn't revised the choreography since the music was changed from 1:30 to 2:30!

I had four run-throughs of the first half of the program before, lo and behold, ANOTHER SKATER (and a coach) showed up! LOL! Oh gee, busy ice - two skaters and a coach - :roll: - so I went to working on elements.

Upright spins were not bad (considering the state of my sinuses and sense of balance!) - I think some went 4 revolutions. Was a bit stiff to get good sit spins (though I attempted quite a few between elements and program practice) and the Shoot the Duck had the same problem. Worked a bit on BO edges - still not as comfortable on LBO as RBO and no cross-overs yet. A few Waltz jumps had some height but Toe Loops just weren't coordinated.

After 40 minutes of "private ice" and 20 minutes of "busy ice" (2 skaters! what a hoot!) I was pooped and called it a day. Man, if I could have 40 minutes of private ice everyday, what a difference it would make!

8-) Right now my coach is sitting in some warm place on her Honeymoon reading my journal and thinking how much she misses 7 a.m. sessions in the frozen north ...... yea, and pigs can FLY! :giveup:

blue111moon
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Dull only:

A sprained ankle (done off-ice) is keeping me off the ice entirely for a couple weeks.

I have accounting duties scheduled at a couple upcoming competitions but it looks like that's as close to ice as I'll be getting until the foot heals. :cry:

Sessy
01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm helping organise the nationals at our rink. Today were trainings, tomorrow and day after that is the competition.

Boy is all the walking making my ankle hurt. I hope I'll still be able to skate on monday! :cry:

LilJen
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
New & Shiny: Got indoctrinated into the world of ISI yesterday, as our synchro team (Silver Blades; average age: 47!) is doing an ISI competition next month. It looks like I can manage the compulsory FS1 moves (this comp: waltz jump, fwd spiral, FI pivot), and I'm contemplating putting together an FS1 program. I plan on playing around with Audacity tonight & tomorrow, and if I can get a decent 1:30 cut of some music I like, I may go for it.

Old & Dull: Just kind of wobbly and tentative yesterday. Coach was understanding, seeing as my ice time has been minimal the last few weeks (and months). She felt confident that everything would come back. Have to say, though, that my half-flip sucked. I think I have TAJphobia (that's Toepick-Assisted Jumpophobia, as defined in the AOSS Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 1st edition). Although, come to think of it, I bet I could do a toeloop (or, rather, a half-flip CCW for this particular program), since I pick with my "good" foot, and with the half-flip I pick with my "bad" foot. Will try Sunday. . .

Skate@Delaware
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
This is for today's lesson!

Old and Dull
Even COLDER than yesterday morning! We have black ice too and DH almost tripped on a couple of those! (And wouldn't you know it? The weather report says that it's gonna be sunny and close to 70 this weekend in NYC! Of course, I'm flying back to SFO tomorrow to a MAJOR thunderstorm and temps in the low 40's to high 50!!! :roll: )

WHAT???? The forecast for my area is in the 50's and we are SOUTH!!! I'm not getting THAT one?!?!
Dull-
-Sit spin. Do you think somewhere I'll just get credit for a broken leg squat spin because that I can do.
-Loops. Am learning to do them from a crossover entry. Oh the inhumanity.
Any sort of spin where you leg is bent counts at the beginning!
My coach ran out of ideas on loops for me....3-turns, crossovers, etc. We are down to the wire on a mohawk entry now (come to think of it, we are also using that entry on my salchow....maybe she is just tired of everything else)
New & Shiny: Got indoctrinated into the world of ISI yesterday, as our synchro team (Silver Blades; average age: 47!) is doing an ISI competition next month. It looks like I can manage the compulsory FS1 moves (this comp: waltz jump, fwd spiral, FI pivot), and I'm contemplating putting together an FS1 program. I plan on playing around with Audacity tonight & tomorrow, and if I can get a decent 1:30 cut of some music I like, I may go for it.

Old & Dull: Just kind of wobbly and tentative yesterday. Coach was understanding, seeing as my ice time has been minimal the last few weeks (and months). She felt confident that everything would come back. Have to say, though, that my half-flip sucked. I think I have TAJphobia (that's Toepick-Assisted Jumpophobia, as defined in the AOSS Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 1st edition). Although, come to think of it, I bet I could do a toeloop (or, rather, a half-flip CCW for this particular program), since I pick with my "good" foot, and with the half-flip I pick with my "bad" foot. Will try Sunday. . .
I say go for the competition-you will have a blast!!!! And keep doing the 1/2 jumps, you will get better with practice! Wait until you get to the ballet jump! I love that one!!!!

techskater
01-04-2008, 05:24 PM
S@D - Have you looked at Miki A's or Mao A's entry into the solo 3 loop in their current programs? They do it from a Mohawk but they kind of wait on the back inside edge before putting the outer edge (take off) foot down. I wonder if Miki doesn't do it to fool herself into thinking it's a Salchow since she does those from a Mohawk entry too. It might give you ideas since it did for me on the 2 loop.

Kim to the Max
01-04-2008, 07:49 PM
New&Shiny:

Moves were decent :) I am thinking they are up to test standard, we'll see next time my coach has me do a full run through.

Program was really good! Only did one run through, but I ended on time, did the lutz, spins were okay...I almost took out a little girl going from my lutz into my flip/loop then into my camel spin....just need to keep working on it :)

Axels: landed a few more! They weren't fully rotated, but that will come in time as I get more comfortable landing on one foot. I really need to focus on pulling in my arms and my legs... I had one of the little girls tell me that they were getting better, and one of the adults who was practicing before skate school was impressed. And then....one of the other coaches saw one of my axels and as I was inspecting the ice for the takeoff/landing commented that they were getting better...of course, I am not one to take a compliment well, so I of course said that it wasn't fully rotated, but she said that it was better than some of my other attempts....I'm so not good at people noticing that I'm doing better :roll:

Old&Dull:
Today was not a good spin day...

dbny
01-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Started alternating 3s today, so I have officially learned all pre moves! The concept seems easy enough, but actually doing them is a totally different story.

No Kidding.

New&Shiny:
Had a great lesson today in spite of no energy or wind or practice. FI threes are still there and even better, more confident and smoother. FO threes were so so in lesson, but afterwards, I chatted with another adult skater whose coach had drawn dotted lines for her to follow rather deep edges, with a 3 at the top of one. I tried it, and FO threes were actually much better that way. I was able to hold the image of my coach in mind and came very close to fully checking a few. Best of all, it seems like I am finally going to get my practice time back! I'm really looking forward to it.

Old&Dull:
Still suffering with a miserable cold, stuffed up ears, clogged sinuses, and an awful cold sore on my septum, of all places. Just what one needs when the nose is running all the time. Older DD was going to go skating with me today, but couldn't because she has caught the cold and was up coughing half the night. DH usually goes, it's our day off together, but he's still out with a back problem. Skating-wise, tried the Prelim power threes for the first time in a long while and now have gotten back some of my old problems with them. Hope to clear that up with some practice!

Skate@Delaware
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
S@D - Have you looked at Miki A's or Mao A's entry into the solo 3 loop in their current programs? They do it from a Mohawk but they kind of wait on the back inside edge before putting the outer edge (take off) foot down. I wonder if Miki doesn't do it to fool herself into thinking it's a Salchow since she does those from a Mohawk entry too. It might give you ideas since it did for me on the 2 loop.
Wow! No! I'm gonna have to check that one out!!! I haven't watched any skating on tv...so that will be a treat (have to catch it on youtube.com).

My coach is hilarious with this approach, because I was "cheating" and cutting the 3-turn off after I turned it....so I've been moved to mohawks. She tells me to "hold it....hold it....wait....wait....ok!" after forever on that back edge! Then after good jumps I get to try 3-turns; the back side has to be long or longer than the front side....:roll: it does work, tho so I can't complain too much!!!

techskater
01-05-2008, 05:13 AM
I can only describe Miki's as a Salchow with a step down and change of foot on the take off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZstAByqI2fk

Look at 2:33 of this program at her 3 Loop and the hesitation before the step down.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Had a nice skate yesterday with jwrnsktr and a few other adult skaters. At least one of them is skating in the NYI! Good lunch, too.

New & Shiny:
Spreadeagles are getting better, as are backspins.
Spins were traveling, but sit spin and scratch spin were very good.
Still having camel trouble, so I changed the entrance to BO-FO instead of bk crossovers. Better.
Toe loops are so much more comfortable and the combination with waltz jumps are stable. Finally!

Old & Dull:
Loop and Flip stink. So sad - 20 lbs weight loss would probably be the best remedy.
Back sit spin really hurts my knee, so I left it alone. The change is fine, it's holding that position that hurts.
Ice was really hard and the rink was cold, so spirals were awful. Did a few lousy change-edge spirals along with the PM pattern.
I don't think I would test at that rink, the conditions would be a "Recipe for Retest" for me!

Probably overdid it with the new MaxiFlex, so I'll give that spin a rest for a few days.

sk8pics
01-05-2008, 09:35 AM
TAJphobia (that's Toepick-Assisted Jumpophobia, as defined in the AOSS Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 1st edition).

That's hilarious!:lol: :lol: :bow: :bow: Maybe you should really try writing the AOSS DSM!

Sessy
01-05-2008, 12:29 PM
My coach ran out of ideas on loops for me....3-turns, crossovers, etc. We are down to the wire on a mohawk entry now (come to think of it, we are also using that entry on my salchow....maybe she is just tired of everything else)

What I originally got the loop with at the beginning was a sort of invention of my own. I'd practiced before a dark window at home on socks on a pretty slippery floor, stretching out my arms with a strong check, making sure that my arms remained perfectly parallel to the floor. Then I'd just really, really swing the arms and pull in and they'd bring me around. It took some practicing on the floor to get them just right parallel, but it worked. Then it was no problem doing a loop from a 3-turn. I'd wait till the last possible moment, basically when you're facing almost forward already, swing the arms and jump up just a tad and I'd land rotated enough to squeeze out a landing. Over time, I got a feel for using the outside edge and those became high enough jumps with a knee going up to do a full rev, then I started doing them from back xo's.

Terri C
01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
New and Shiny:
The freestyle ice this morning at the rink across town. Nice, soft, smooth ice after a morning hockey game!!
Was able to do centered forward scratch and sit spins and did a clean runthrough of my compulsory moves program for Easterns! :D :D

Also played with some elements for my new artistic, including a attitude to backscratch spin combo and a toeloop with both arms raised on the landing position. Started working Ina Bauers again, as I know this will be in the program somewhere.

Bill_S
01-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Very dull: My boot problems have taken a turn for the worse.

I've been feeling a bit of pain in the left heel the past couple weeks. I mostly ignored it. It was worse yesterday, so I took a look (yeah, I know. You'd think I would keep an eye on those things).

WOWSA! There was a HUGE marble-sized round bump on the heel that had been developing! It's thick skin and not a blister as I thought. One of the fellows at the rink suggested I was growing a second head.

It's apparently bursitis of the Achilles tendon caused by pressure or rubbing of the affected area. Darn those boots!

The right heel has one developing too, but it's smaller.

I should take off time for this to heal, but I'm likely to press on regardless (at least until our rink closes in early April). I bought some heel pads and inserted them in the boots for the time being.

New and shiny: The heel inserts worked nicely and didn't interfere with skating.

Also, I got to see on the the former rink regulars who had been away at school in Europe for a while. It was fun catching up.

Skate@Delaware
01-05-2008, 06:53 PM
What I originally got the loop with at the beginning was a sort of invention of my own. I'd practiced before a dark window at home on socks on a pretty slippery floor, stretching out my arms with a strong check, making sure that my arms remained perfectly parallel to the floor. Then I'd just really, really swing the arms and pull in and they'd bring me around. It took some practicing on the floor to get them just right parallel, but it worked. Then it was no problem doing a loop from a 3-turn. I'd wait till the last possible moment, basically when you're facing almost forward already, swing the arms and jump up just a tad and I'd land rotated enough to squeeze out a landing. Over time, I got a feel for using the outside edge and those became high enough jumps with a knee going up to do a full rev, then I started doing them from back xo's.
I've been working on loops off-ice in front of large dance/aerobics mirrors and it has helped-but I can't do them in socks on a slippy floor-I'm accident prone!!!

I do them on the line (like beginning backspin practice) LFI, cross the line, RFI mohawk, setup, loop back across the line. It seems to be doing the trick...I've landed two and had the backspin position as well. I've also fallen because my body is used to putting that darn left foot down....well once I get used to doing them right I will stop falling over. :roll:

Of course, everyone is freaking out because they are afraid I will somehow re-injure my back....but my doctor said it can't happen so I'm ok with it.

LilJen
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I say go for the competition-you will have a blast!!!! And keep doing the 1/2 jumps, you will get better with practice! Wait until you get to the ballet jump! I love that one!!!!

Oh, I don't know. . . I think I could get through the compulsories (3 moves) but my only other comp I just got incredibly nervous. . . I was good for maybe 10 seconds and then I just had this moment of "oh my God, what the heck am I doing/everyone is looking at me/I feel like a dork/etc" and that's when the stumbling began. . . I don't know if it would be a better thing or a worse thing that there will be many fellow skaters from my club there, um, cheering me on. Do I prefer anonymity, or blind support even if my skating totally sucks???

SkatingOnClouds
01-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Less than 24 hours to go before the rink re-opens after a 2 week holiday.
Talk about torture !!!!

It is going to be a looong day at work tomorrow, waiting to go skating.
So many things I want to work on and improve. Boy, have I got it bad :roll:

Helen88
01-06-2008, 11:04 AM
New:
Waltz jumps!! Much steadier, did them all session without the barrier, and had much more confindence on them. They were (or at least felt) higher, larger, and more secure.
Spirals were also okay...need to get my leg MUCH higher, but I managed to do them without being a few inches from the barrier, like I usually am. My 'Just In Case' syndrome.
Drags - fine, although they usually are. Getting much lower on them now.

Dull:
Fell and bashed my knee on a couple of drags near the end - a combination of carved up ice and me being tired after skating for going on two hours I think. Nothing more than a bruise though.
Spins - weren't happening. Entry - totally blanked out. Exit - wobbly. Actual spin? One foots weren't working, two foots weren't working...I gave up in the end, before I did either myself or another person a serious injury :giveup:

EDIT: Oh, and I heard one thing that really made me laugh - little boy skating past - 'mum, I nearly fell - I stood on my toothpicks!!'

techskater
01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh, I don't know. . . I think I could get through the compulsories (3 moves) but my only other comp I just got incredibly nervous. . . I was good for maybe 10 seconds and then I just had this moment of "oh my God, what the heck am I doing/everyone is looking at me/I feel like a dork/etc" and that's when the stumbling began. . . I don't know if it would be a better thing or a worse thing that there will be many fellow skaters from my club there, um, cheering me on. Do I prefer anonymity, or blind support even if my skating totally sucks???

The more you compete, the easier it gets.

Morgail
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh, and I heard one thing that really made me laugh - little boy skating past - 'mum, I nearly fell - I stood on my toothpicks!!'

:D That is so funny!!

Shiny:
-Great practice! I think it's because I really pushed myself to warm-up instead of just skating lazily around the rink before starting to practice.
-Dances are good. I think I stayed on rhythm.
-Did a few good camels.
-I think I got lower on my sit spin.
-Did some decent, although slow, lutzes.

Dull:
-I'm cheating on my sit spins. Instead of holding my arms out, I've been putting my hands on my knee so I can push myself up at the end of the spin. Need to stop doing that. I think it will be easier once I get all my leg muscles back into condition.
-Didn't really get to practice Moves on pattern because it got too crowded.

LilJen
01-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Yep, I know that. . . never got over nerves while competing in various other disciplines as a kid/teen (let's see, gymnastics, ballet, violin, skiing--although the adrenaline *helped* the skiing!), but I usually got through things--not flawlessly but well enough. I guess part of my problem is those old inner demons coming back; I had major, major self-esteem issues (and perfectionism issues!!) until oh, gosh, perhaps my 20s. . . I'm so much better but that emotional baggage doesn't always leave entirely, y'know?

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement!

Sessy
01-06-2008, 04:16 PM
But now you have the emotional maturity to kick some demon butt. :twisted:
It's the only advantage adult skaters have over children, the brain, but it's a major one.

looplover
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
New and Shiny: Wow! Today was the best practice I've had in a looooong time. One bad thing detailed below. I really have a consistent backspin now and as of today I can exit the thing without putting my foot down to stop it. I'm shocked. Worked out some footwork issues, did a bunch of decent loops and three good flips! I hadn't done flips in SO LONG. I test bronze FS in February and except for the one bad thing I think I have a chance of passing. Unless nerves get me (which is very likely).

Old and dull: The bad thing: my *(#(*&(@#* sit spins! :evil: :evil: :evil: I tell you if I fail my bronze test for crappy sit spins and pass the backspin I dunno if I'll laugh or cry. I used to have a very fast, low sit spin and haven't been practicing it enough. I think it might be ok but out of a bunch of attempts only one was close to passing - but it wasn't low or fast enough.

Also kind of dull...my rideout after my loop, I end up kind of stuck.

Still, I wish my coach had seen this today... :D

dbny
01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
New and Shiny:
No time to practice since my lesson on Friday, but just fooling around in between LTS and private lessons, I've been getting a solid rev on a backspin, and today, at the end of a very long day, I just pushed off onto RFO and did a three with arms at sides, using just shoulders. It was so good it startled me, so I did the L foot also, and it was also good. Something clicked on Friday! I'm going to try to practice tomorrow morning at the outdoor rink before I have to do LTS indoors in the afternoon. Hope I can wake up early enough!

Skate@Delaware
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
New & Shiny: worked on my backspins...which really ROCKED!!! I managed some very nice ones, not many revolutions, but had the free foot crossed! YES!!!

did some jumps, they were ok. did not spin, still have a head cold.

Old & Dull: eeek! my blades! Need to sharpen, and also need to "fix" up my skates, they look beat up and broken! Also need to put new laces in....been busy lately.

Because of my skidding blades, didn't really work on the loop; didn't feel confident. So I worked on my routine. Which sucked because I'm still learning it. I did work on some of it off-ice which helped.

Still have my cold/congestion...had used my inhaler before I left the house so it had time to kick in. My rink has had a ventilation problem with the carbon monoxide. I'm worried it could worsen my cold and give me bronchitis or worse.

techskater
01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Yep, I know that. . . never got over nerves while competing in various other disciplines as a kid/teen (let's see, gymnastics, ballet, violin, skiing--although the adrenaline *helped* the skiing!), but I usually got through things--not flawlessly but well enough. I guess part of my problem is those old inner demons coming back; I had major, major self-esteem issues (and perfectionism issues!!) until oh, gosh, perhaps my 20s. . . I'm so much better but that emotional baggage doesn't always leave entirely, y'know?

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement!

I don't know what we can say to make it better or easier, but doing your best is more important than being perfect. Besides, if you were perfect, would you want to do it anymore? Heck, you'd just quit because if you were perfect there'd be no point in skating ever again! :mrgreen:

Kim to the Max
01-06-2008, 07:52 PM
New&Shiny:

Yet again, axels were quite good :) Not fully rotated, but on one foot, and I think I am starting to get further around and am trying to put my feet in the right place :) I'll see coach on Tuesday (no lesson, but we'll be on the same session) and if she sees, she will probably be quite amazed....one of the girls on the ice tonight was commenting on how close I am...her and I have had a few conversations about how you can't really count it until you do it right...her comments I enjoy because I know that we are of similar mindset (some of our skaters badly cheat their doubles and don't realize it)...

Moves were good. Still need to work on the tempo of my power circles :(

Program was decent...I still need to SKATE between elements and work on my endurance...

Old&Dull:

Spins were still not cooperating...I REALLY need to get that scratch/back scratch consistent...

The 2nd session of the night (the first one I skate) was also very crowded...the 3rd on the other hand was empty...although there was a small group program being choreographed, which hindered some of our ability to do moves (those of us doing moves that go through the middle).

I also have developed a small, hard bump on the inside of my left ankle right above the ankle bone....It was rubbing against my boot....this has never happened before so I'm not sure what it is...I'm not skating tomorrow, so hopefully that will help....I'm wondering if it's from the bunga pads and if that's where it ends when I put it on...maybe on Tuesday I will try to position it better...

badaxel
01-07-2008, 06:42 AM
New and Shiny:
-Found a new sharpener so now I don't have to go over the GWB any more!
-Landed many, really awesome axels!
-Actually landed an axel in my program
-Found my spins after getting the sharpening- I was getting worried!
-Power Circles continue to improve
-Ran my program twice in one day and made it through!
-Actually starting to SKATE my program (and listen to the music)

Old and Dull:
-Didn't skate much last week
-Couldn't land the axel very well after the sharpening
-Still struggling with the axel in the program

jskater49
01-07-2008, 11:10 AM
New and Shiny

New term of Ice contract - Power class now is 7-7:30 after an hour of free style, which I personally like better

I went through my free style and artistic programs. Dull--I decided that I was doing my scratch spin with the one foot entry from now on - no more pivot entries...but it's really bad. When I start from a standstill one time out of 4 tries I will not rush it and get a decent spin - but in my program, I rush it and it's not good.

I think I'm getting better at not two footing my transistions in both the back swing rolls and back chasses.

Power class -- new teacher a 19 year old who has a whistle and works us hard. Plus there is another adult - she's a higher level skater than I am but she hasn't taken power and I'm faster than her. Having her there makes me work harder. Last term there was no way I was going to keep up with my dd and the other little girl in the class - so I didn't try. But I'm just competitive enough to try to outskate someone closer to my level. Of course, she's just not used to power, once she gets up to speed, I'll be toast - but at least I'll be close enough to keep trying

Oh and I am really ticked off at the club were we are competing and testing next week. (well dd is testing - not me) - The test sheet says THURSDAY - it's always been on Thursday - for six years the test has been THURSDAY. So I prepay for a hotel room Wed night -- come to find out from the coach (not the club yet mind you) that its Saturday night. So I'm out that money. I am not happy. Plus my dd's planned content sheet is late and they want to charge me for $25 (nowhere on the form does it say they will charge $25 for a late planned program sheet) for that and I just sent a very nice email suggesting that in light of what they are costing me in hotel for changing the test date and the fact we have come to this event for 6 years and our club spent $50 on an ad in their program, perhaps they might want to waive the late fee.

j

blackmanskating
01-07-2008, 03:47 PM
New: I did a 3 rev back camel!!! That was pretty cool. I learned a cool entrance into my back twizzle. It's like doing a back three turn from a loop entrance while doing a roundhouse kick. Then I bring my free leg in as the twizzle happens. That's the best way I can explain it. It took a few dozen tries but I got the hang of it. It looks pretty cool too. I like learning cool stuff like that. It makes edgework fun.

I almost landed my double axel. I had it and then I fell out of it. Man I am so close. I tell ya when I finally land this jump, I'm going to post a thread in all caps.

Axel-loop combination is pretty solid. I'm still having to open up a lot on the loop jump to prevent over-rotation. I gotta slow down my rotation on the landing of the axel so I can have a better air position for the loop.

Old: For the life of me I can't seem to center my forward scratch spin anymore. My back scratch is great but the forward one travels like crazy. I think I'm rushing the entrance and rising in my skating leg too soon.

BlackManSkating