View Full Version : Is Your Coach On YouTube?

singerskates
12-31-2007, 02:44 AM
I was on YouTube yesterday just fiddling around after checking out some YouTube links some of you posted here to show a particular move or jump when I decided just as a lark to look up one my coaches when I found these three YouTube videos;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wywdRsv7fEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-c8vm-8PQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TP9XToj5wU

Are there any YouTube videos of your coaches? If so, past them in this thread. It really is a thrill to see what was done in the past and what was considered to be good skating in years past.

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Er - you are, of course, quite sure that your coach doesn't mind your identifying him in this way? Do you have his explicit permission to do so?

Otherwise, I rather think it is an invasion of his privacy. Most of us refer to our coaches, even if they were once elite competitors, by a nickname or else just as "my coach", even though it's widely known who they are (as in Jazzpants' case, for instance). It's a courtesy to the coaches and preserves their privacy in a forum which is open to public scrutiny.

jazzpants
12-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Otherwise, I rather think it is an invasion of his privacy. Most of us refer to our coaches, even if they were once elite competitors, by a nickname or else just as "my coach", even though it's widely known who they are (as in Jazzpants' case, for instance). It's a courtesy to the coaches and preserves their privacy in a forum which is open to public scrutiny.
Well, at least in the case of my primary coach, though in his case, he doesn't mind as much since he likes the attention! :P :lol: My secondary coach, OTOH... well, I'd rather let her make her own entrance. (She has posted here before though.)

But yes, if I were you, I ask for his permission first. I lost another secondary coach through this route. Trust me, you don't wanna go thru what I went thru.

SynchroSk8r114
12-31-2007, 08:58 AM
One of my freestyle coaches (and my synchro coach) skated on Miami University's varsity senior synchronized skating team during all four years that she went to college. I don't think she'd care if I share this since I'm not mentioning which girl she is exactly and there's like, 19 other skaters out there with her.

http://synchrovideos.blogspot.com/2005/12/miami-university-senior-long.html

My other freestyle coach is far more well-known, winning both an Olympic gold and silver medal in the 80s. Sorry, but I'm not sharing discipline/country/videos of her because I'm not sure she'd appreciate it... :halo:

Finally, my dance coach was a national competitor years ago and has continued to coach various levels of dance teams to Nationals. I don't believe there's any videos of her out there, but I guarantee she wouldn't want them posted! :lol:

jenlyon60
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
My former coach with his former skating partner, at a holiday carnival this year at Queens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHQ9pVZbb-Q

(Note... Gary is now coaching in Charlotte NC and Charlotte coaches at Queens. They revived and edited their Waltz OD from 1998 or 1999 for these performances.)

singerskates
12-31-2007, 10:24 PM
I erase this post.

singerskates
12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
One of my freestyle coaches (and my synchro coach) skated on Miami University's varsity senior synchronized skating team during all four years that she went to college. I don't think she'd care if I share this since I'm not mentioning which girl she is exactly and there's like, 19 other skaters out there with her.

http://synchrovideos.blogspot.com/2005/12/miami-university-senior-long.html

My other freestyle coach is far more well-known, winning both an Olympic gold and silver medal in the 80s. Sorry, but I'm not sharing discipline/country/videos of her because I'm not sure she'd appreciate it... :halo:

Finally, my dance coach was a national competitor years ago and has continued to coach various levels of dance teams to Nationals. I don't believe there's any videos of her out there, but I guarantee she wouldn't want them posted! :lol:

I just realized that I'm not really into watching syncro in person, but watching it on TV or online is much better. When you're right there at the rink they are really all too close to enjoy the patterns and shapes they make as a group on the ice. Online or TV you see it all and don't miss what they are trying to convey. Syncro is totally the opposite from singles, pairs or dance when there are just one or two skaters on the ice at a time.

If you've watched Syncro both ways in person and on TV or online, which do you prefer and why?

litlsk8ergurl
01-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Since people seem to think it's ok to post videos of their former secondary coach or whatever (without the coachs permission), I wonder if it might be ok to say that their coach RUINED MY JUMPS and is a terrible coach!!!!!!

If we can post to say what a superstar we think they are, can we post to protect people from bad coaching and wasting of money on coaching???

Just wondering?

singerskates
01-01-2008, 04:08 AM
I erased this post too.

kayskate
01-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Since people seem to think it's ok to post videos of their former secondary coach or whatever (without the coachs permission), I wonder if it might be ok to say that their coach RUINED MY JUMPS and is a terrible coach!!!!!!

If we can post to say what a superstar we think they are, can we post to protect people from bad coaching and wasting of money on coaching???

I think the issue here is privacy. We all have screen names and the option to identify ourselves more thoroughly if we choose. Unless the coach posts here too or has given permission, I would say it is not okay to give his/her name and critique her coaching, especially if you want to say something so grossly negative.

There are many reasons why jumps can be ruined or any other problem that may or may not result from coaching. I have pondered these issues when changing coaches. There are different ways of teaching, learning and communicating. Coaches may also use an instructional technique that may or may not work for you. Some steps in the technique may be taken as "wrong" in another context. The coach who did not work for you from your perspective may be the very same coach who helps the next skater get his axel after years w another pro. Your actual mileage may vary.

I have had many pros in my skating "career". Every single one of them made valuable contributions to my development. I did not always agree w everything they said or did, but they are human and have different perspectives and methods. I have worked w older pros who may be teaching technique as they learned it 40+ yrs ago. That can be interesting but it can also be out of date. Doesn't mean the coach has nothing to offer or is "bad". This type of pro taught me the blur spin, but was not able to work w me on certain other skills.

Finally: as a longtime online journal-keeper, I have been very careful about identifying ppl and rinks, etc. When we write in a blog or on a board, we are inherently stating an opinion unless we provide a statement based on a reference and cite that ref. Someone else in the exact same situation may have a completely different opinion or exp. The skating world is small!!! Best to protect your privacy and everyone else's. Just something to keep in mind.

Steps off soap box.

Kay

kander
01-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Just wondering?

I'm not sure I see the connection between posting videos and criticising a coach. However, I think it's legitamate to criticise a coach as long as you do it reasonably and in a neutral tone. Using terms like "bad coaching" and "wasting money" are inflamitory ways of doing it. If I thought somebody taught me a bad way to jump, I'd say why I thought the technique was bad rather than laying blame.

I also think it's legitamate to give somebody an honest opinion IF they ask for it. I wouldn't go around telling people this guy is a crummy coach, but if somebody asked me I'd tell them what I thought. I wouldn't post it in a public forum. I know some things about coaches that I'm sure people would want to know but I don't go around talking about it.

Kevin

kander
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Er - you are, of course, quite sure that your coach doesn't mind your identifying him in this way? Do you have his explicit permission to do so?

Otherwise, I rather think it is an invasion of his privacy.

I think it would be common courtesy to ask first if you aren't sure. However, I don't see any moral dilemas in posting links from Youtube unless they are illegally posted. I looked at the first clip and it looked pretty clear to be in the public domain (unless you are the broadcaster and claim ownership).

jazzpants
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Just wondering?I certainly would NOT criticize a coach online. If you have a problem like that you should deal with it privately and address the issue directly with the coach in question and off lesson. It's a matter of common courtesy here.

And the answer to the original question is... yes, my coach is online on YouTube.

sk8tegirl06
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Getting back to the original question at hand, yes both my coaches are on youtube, though one was just added recently. I am ever so grateful to whoever added it, because it is the one program of hers that I don't have a recording of. The other coach has multiple videos.

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2008, 06:08 AM
My former coach with his former skating partner, at a holiday carnival this year at Queens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHQ9pVZbb-Q

(Note... Gary is now coaching in Charlotte NC and Charlotte coaches at Queens. They revived and edited their Waltz OD from 1998 or 1999 for these performances.)Very edited, I should think, since Queens is a very narrow rink indeed - it's not that short, probably a normal hockey-rink length, but only half-width. I've only skated there a couple of times, but find it very strange....

jenlyon60
01-02-2008, 07:34 AM
The rink looked small, even discounting the curtains etc.

Having seen video of the original, I could tell places where it was modified. Plus clearly neither of them were generating the type of power that both are clearly capable of doing.

icedancer2
01-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Neither of my current coaches are on youtube and I couldn't find my old dance coach there either, or his partner for that matter. I will go and check out the coach I had before that but I doubt it...

The guy who took me through my Willow Waltz in 1966 is on youtube... does that count??

kateskate
01-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Very edited, I should think, since Queens is a very narrow rink indeed - it's not that short, probably a normal hockey-rink length, but only half-width. I've only skated there a couple of times, but find it very strange....

Indeed. What with the curtains at one end and at the sides and the seats at the other end it was narrower and shorter than its usual (very small) 50m x 20m. But we all managed....

skaternum
01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
My spin coach has several videos on youtube, but that's because he's a World medalist. Not sure he'll still be coaching by the time I get back on the ice. (I've been off the ice for 2 years, but I'm gonna get back out there this year if it kills me!)

MQSeries
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Hmm, it's definitely was not lady single skating. Possibly she was a former Russian pair skater. I can only think of Elena Vasiliev winning gold in 84 and then silver in 88.

littlekateskate
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
One of my daughters coaches is on there bunches (but they are currently competiting well known senior skaters). So its a given they would be.

However none of her other coaches were. i also tried a few of the other coaches from the rink i knew of and nothing :(

It was a good idea i was excited to try it out.

doubletoe
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
My coach was recently told that his Olympic performance from the 60's had just been posted on YouTube. He isn't very Internet-savvy, so he had never watched anything on YouTube. I was helping him with his computer one day and he asked if we might be able to see his video, since he had never seen it. So I searched for his name and found the video and we watched it together. Getting Dick Button's commentary on the original broadcast and my coach's own commentary in person was a total hoot! ("See that camera right there on the ice? It was actually ON the ice and I almost did that jump right into the camera!")

icedancer2
01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
My coach was recently told that his Olympic performance from the 60's had just been posted on YouTube.

Oooh - I will have to go look for that!

There is another of his competitors I am wondering about and will go looking for later - I remember that he used to wave to his mom during the performance...:lol:

antmanb
01-04-2008, 07:08 AM
I think it would be common courtesy to ask first if you aren't sure. However, I don't see any moral dilemas in posting links from Youtube unless they are illegally posted. I looked at the first clip and it looked pretty clear to be in the public domain (unless you are the broadcaster and claim ownership).

Don't know about US intellectual property laws but in the UK subjects of certain photographic and aritistic copyright in films/broadcasts and photographs certainly have a number of so-called moral rights granted by virtue of being the subject in the work created.

Also it's worth remembering that just because something is in the public domain it doesn't make it a free for all, someone's copyright has been breached by that clip appearing on youtube and it doesn't make it ok to keep using it.

Finally, i think the point being made is more one about being courteous to one's coach and his/her right to privacy. Perhaps if our coaches thought we would identify them by name and post videos of them on the internet they might no longer wish to teach us.

Ant