View Full Version : What is this Music?

SkatingOnClouds
12-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Hoping someone can help me identify this music, it was used by John Curry in his 1976 Olympic-winning long program. I like the idea of using some of it for my technical program for 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-utXsdR9CQ

This clip includes both his short & long programs, the music bits I want are from 5:38-6:29, and from 7:53 to the end. Also interested in the opening of his long program from 3:30.

It is referred to as being from Don Quixote ballet by Minkus, but I haven't been able to identify which movements they are. The Amazon samples don't play these pieces.

Anyone able to help me with this?

SK8RX
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
It's the Grand Pas De Deux from Don Quixote. Here's a link to that portion of the score. On this CD it's the first selection.

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Gala-Deux-Riccardo-Drigo/dp/B0000041ZY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199068064&sr=1-3

SkatingOnClouds
12-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks Sk8RX. It's great being able to check out the samples on Amazon, but they are short. That piece certainly sounded like some of it, but I wonder if the bit I particularly want is also in that same piece, or elsewhere in the ballet.

Does anyone know if all the music is from that ballet? Save me buying the CD only to be disappointed.

A.H.Black
12-31-2007, 11:45 AM
yes, it's all Don Quizote. Also check out the actual ballet. The pas de deux is in the movie Turning Point and there are several films of the ballet itself. Turning Point is with Mikhail Baryshnikov. John Curry's choreography is heavily inspired by the ballet choreography.

SK8RX
12-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know if all the music is from that ballet? Save me buying the CD only to be disappointed.

Yes, all the music John Curry used for his 1976 long program was from Don Quixote, and specifically it was all from the Grand Pas De Deux. That total segment of the ballet should run anywhere from about 7 to 9 or so minutes (depending on tempo), consisting of an intro/adagio, male variation, female variation and a coda. The problem with this ballet, and many others of its time, is that it really is a pastiche of music from a number of different sources. Additionally, many dancers will substitute one variation for another, so you aren't always sure what you are getting. The music Curry used, however, was the most traditional sequence of music utilized for the ballet. I have a recording of the Pas De Deux on a CD collection called "Fete Du Ballet" and it contains all the music Curry used, and to my ears, it sounds like that is the version he used for his program in 1976. Hope that helps!

P.S.: Here's a clip of that section of the ballet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk40KAGfcsI

Bunny Hop
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Karen, A good recording of the complete ballet music of Don Quixote is the special edition called 'Nureyev's Don Quixote' specially recorded by the State Orchestra of Victoria conducted by John Lanchbery. It's an ABC Classics CD, catalogue number 465 172-2. It should be available from the ABC Shop in Hobart, or if not, they should be able to track it down. I'm pretty sure the pieces used for John Curry's programme are on this version.

Incidentally, this recording was released to commemorate the 25th anniversary of a production of Don Quixote produced by Rudolf Nureyev for the Australian Ballet in 1973 (and filmed for the ABC). They reunited the original orchestra to make the recording of the score for the CD.

Isk8NYC
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM
I know I'm spoiled by the NY Public Library system, but when I skated to Sheherazade years ago, I "checked out" several different classical albums for listening and choosing.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow that when I bought a Nancy Drew Soundtrack for one DD. The song she wanted to skate to wasn't on the CD, I thought it was just not in the samples. I hate that CD now because it's USELESS .

SkatingOnClouds
01-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Karen, A good recording of the complete ballet music of Don Quixote is the special edition called 'Nureyev's Don Quixote' specially recorded by the State Orchestra of Victoria conducted by John Lanchbery. It's an ABC Classics CD, catalogue number 465 172-2. It should be available from the ABC Shop in Hobart, or if not, they should be able to track it down. I'm pretty sure the pieces used for John Curry's programme are on this version.

Thanks Bunny Hop! I have seen this version for sale on Ebay, but didn't want to get it unless I was sure it would suit my needs.