View Full Version : power skating

figure8s
12-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I was debating over whether or not I should take a course in power skating. It's offered at my school for a relatively low price of $40 for 10 classes.

I was wondering, is it possible to power skate using figure skates? Or can I only use hockey skates? I skated using both but now I prefer skating with figure skates.

Also, does power skating help with your figure skating??

dbny
12-29-2007, 07:12 PM
You can wear figure skates, and yes, it does help. BTW, the right/best place for this kind of question is in the "On Ice - Skaters (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)" forum.

dbny
12-29-2007, 07:21 PM
That was a fast move! Thank you, whichever mod did that :D.

figure8s
12-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh sorry about that. I'm still new to the boards. I tried to see if it was possible for me to switch the forum section but I couldn't figure it out :d

thanks for the help!

Well the power skating and figure skating classes that I hope to take are back-to-back. Each are an hour long. Do you think that that would be too tiring? Or that I would not be able to process everything I learn since it's such a long period of time??

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
You mentioned in another thread that you just started skating. I think you would benefit more from a Learn to Skate class than a power skating class at this time. You have to learn to stop before learning to skate faster or you'll be an out-of-control projectile on the ice, lol. You can always add power skating next semester.

Power skating classes are similar for both figure and hockey skaters. They're not usually given together, the class is usually for one or the other type of skater.

The difference is in the drills used - figure skating would be focused on edges, turns, crossovers, and figure skating maneuvers. (Like lunges)

Hockey power skating focuses on edges, very sharp turns, crossovers, and lots of stops and dodging.

You can watch a session of the course before registering at a regular skating school; colleges probably require you to register in advance so as to not get shut out. Speak to someone who's already taken the course, or to the instructor.

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
That was a fast move! Thank you, whichever mod did that :D.
You're welcome - I happened to be online researching something!
Now, start backing me up on the threads in On Ice-Skaters that have little or nothing to do with skating and belong in NSD! :roll: lol

jskater49
12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
You mentioned in another thread that you just started skating. I think you would benefit more from a Learn to Skate class than a power skating class at this time. You have to learn to stop before learning to skate faster or you'll be an out-of-control projectile on the ice, lol. You can always add power skating next semester.

You can watch a session of the course before registering at a regular skating school; colleges probably require you to register in advance so as to not get shut out. Speak to someone who's already taken the course, or to the instructor.

I would echo watching a session and see what the level and range of skaters are. I'm in a small club and we always have a wide range of skaters in power - from teenage novice skaters to little pre-pre girls and old women like myself and the coach adjusts the drill to whatever our skill is to keep us moving. But that's where we are. In our club you could be in Basic skills and take power...but if you got in a large class that was all novice-level skaters, you'd be terrified.

j

phoenix
12-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Definitely check to see the level of skating. At my rink, a power class is for pretty high level skaters, doing lots of power pulls, all kinds of turns (including brackets, rockers, etc), and some fairly intricate footwork that you'd need to pick up quickly/on the fly. I'd say at least Juv. moves level & up.

If the class is offered through your LTS program, it may not be as challenging as that.

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Power classes are great, but you may well find that they are only open to skaters of a certain level or above, as they can be very challenging. I do wish my coach would organise one for his adult skaters....

Skate@Delaware
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
in my power skating class-the slower less-skilled skaters sometimes are intimidated by the faster skaters HOWEVER everyone moves at their most comfortable pace...and then some. The instructor pushes us a bit beyond our comfort level. The kids really zoom, the older ones, well sometimes there is less zoom. We range in skills from beginners that just learned crossovers to pre-pre level.