View Full Version : adult figure skating

figure8s
12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
hey guys. i'm 18 right now and i'm interested in taking up figure skating! i have been skating for about a year, can do turns and stops. i do yoga so i'm somewhat flexible but of course, flexibility can be improved upon.

i am going to start taking figure skating classes next term.

do you guys have any tips/suggestions for me as an adult figure skater?? would i be able to make it to competitive level by the time i graduate? (when i'm 22)

thanks for the feedback guys :D i really hope to join u guys on the ice one day

jskater49
12-29-2007, 07:49 PM
You could compete now. They have competitions for all levels.

j

figure8s
12-29-2007, 08:39 PM
oh really? where can i find more info? i live in canada

shutterbug
12-30-2007, 01:42 AM
oh really? where can i find more info? i live in canada

There’s a little bit of information on the Skate Canada website:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/skate_for_life/programs/adultskate/

More detailed info about the programs being offered in your area can be obtained from the applicable Section office:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/contact_us/

Unfortunately, we don’t yet have an adult test system in Canada, but you’re young enough to be able go quite far in the regular StarSkate system if taking tests interests you. Our “competitive” system for adults is still a bit of a joke IMHO since we don’t have any sort of criteria or qualifying process for adult competition. Basically, if you’re willing to shell out the $$$ for the entry fee (and travel/hotel costs) you can participate. But, it can be a fun way to learn more about the sport and get a little taste of what elite skaters experience. :)

Rusty Blades
12-30-2007, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't exactly call our adult competitive system a "joke" because it doesn't require qualifying (yet). It is small and has been slowly growing over the last five years to 135 skaters for the Adult Championships in Calgary this past spring. As the numbers continue to grow we will see qualification requirements in some categories, particularly the younger age groups.

The one fly in the ointment for qualifying is that if qualifying is required it will simply weed out those who started skating later in life and leave only those who have skated for their whole life.

If you talk to those who attend the Adult Championships you will find that it isn't about "the best" in the adult skating world but about DOING IT! There were novices (like myself) who could barely skate who got as big an ovation from the crowd as the Masters level skaters. Even Skate Canada recognize that we aren't trying to be the "Geriatric Olympics" but are a group of adults who enjoy the competitive venue, push ourselves to be better than last year, and celebrate everyone else's progress. Ain't none of us going to the Olympics and only a few that are "good" but we have a damned fine time!

Competitive skating isn't appealing to many adult skaters but I, for one, enjoy it and I love the energy and Spirit of the Adult Championships.

It isn't about being "The Best" - it's about being YOUR best.

mdvask8r
12-30-2007, 07:16 AM
It isn't about being "The Best" - it's about being YOUR best.Well said!! Could not agree more:!: :!:

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, we don’t yet have an adult test system in Canada, but you’re young enough to be able go quite far in the regular StarSkate system if taking tests interests you. Our “competitive” system for adults is still a bit of a joke IMHO since we don’t have any sort of criteria or qualifying process for adult competition. Basically, if you’re willing to shell out the $$$ for the entry fee (and travel/hotel costs) you can participate. But, it can be a fun way to learn more about the sport and get a little taste of what elite skaters experience. :)

Why does that make it a "joke", please? The same applies to any Open competition in any country - if you can afford the entry fees, you can compete at the appropriate level for your age group and standard. Only the elite few have to qualify for their competitions - 95% of skaters, whether aged 8 or 80, enter Open competitions.

I really think you should withdraw that remark, as it was rather offensive.

jskater49
12-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Why does that make it a "joke", please? The same applies to any Open competition in any country - if you can afford the entry fees, you can compete at the appropriate level for your age group and standard. Only the elite few have to qualify for their competitions - 95% of skaters, whether aged 8 or 80, enter Open competitions.

I really think you should withdraw that remark, as it was rather offensive.

Having competed for several years without ever "qualifying" for any of the competitions, I have to agree. I'm also insulted for my daughter's sake, who also has never qualified for any competition and doesn't feel like any of her competitions were a joke

j

Sessy
12-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I think I kind of understand what shutterbug means. It's not so much that the skaters are a joke, but that the system is not catering to everybody's needs, which comes across almost as non-appreciative of adult skaters and is therefore very hard to take seriously - considering it doesn't take the skaters serious! We have something like that in the Netherlands as well, there's basically no qualifying events after you're 36 for you. Which is kind of an insult to those adult skaters who train very hard and very seriously and who wish to compete against the best and not against who-ever feels like showing up that day. A skating friend of mine is coming up on that age and she's seriously questioning what she's working for at all anymore.

techskater
12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
I think Shutterbug is trying to convey that within the Skate Canada system, you can sign up for pretty much whatever level floats your boat - there's no real test standards required. Shutterbug?

jp1andOnly
12-30-2007, 02:38 PM
actually there ARE test requirements. There is no adult test system like the US (which I'm soooo glad we donn't have) but you MUST take starskate tests in order to skate at that level. So in Canada that means I'll never be a "gold" level skater as you need all your doubles to pass the starskate gold test.If I was in the US I would have my gold...or be working on it because I have my junior bronze freeskate (which is equal to adult gold in the US).

Some peopel really want an adult test system...some do not. You can't please everyone. What we all do agree upon is there needs to be an introductory test...pre-preliminary...for ALL skaters as the prelim test is the first real test and it is quite difficult to pass if you have only just started skating not that long ago.

I think Shutterbug is trying to convey that within the Skate Canada system, you can sign up for pretty much whatever level floats your boat - there's no real test standards required. Shutterbug?

jp1andOnly
12-30-2007, 02:41 PM
And since this is going to be the 5th year of adult nationals and we have grown from 69 skaters the first year to 150 the 4th year, we STILL don't have enough entries for qualifying. So be it. We do now have a competitive stream for those returning competitive skaters. For example, my brother and his friends could come and compete but they don't because all of them were senior men's skaters and still havea huge array of triples. They are still a little too competitive and it isn't fair to the gold level starskate adults who have a few doubles. We'll see what happens this year.

There’s a little bit of information on the Skate Canada website:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/skate_for_life/programs/adultskate/

More detailed info about the programs being offered in your area can be obtained from the applicable Section office:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/contact_us/

Raye
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
To figure8s: What part of Canada are you from? There are Canadian Competitive Adult Skaters all across the country - probably for every one of the 135 adults that were in Calgary this past spring there's at least three or four adults who did not go. Adult Skating is coming into its own in Canada - welcome to the "Great Obsession" See you at a rink sometime!

figure8s
12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm from Toronto.
I see you're from BC
I really hope to see you in competition one day!!

jp1andOnly
12-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Adult Nationals is in Brampton this year. You should come and watch if you can. The university skating club has LOTS and LOTS of adult skaters. They cater to adult skaters. Western Ontario region has lots of adult competitions and so does Eastern Ontario. Toronto has the Max Gould competition which is a great adult comp as well.

I'm from Toronto.
I see you're from BC
I really hope to see you in competition one day!!

Mrs Redboots
12-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I think I kind of understand what shutterbug means. It's not so much that the skaters are a joke, but that the system is not catering to everybody's needs, which comes across almost as non-appreciative of adult skaters and is therefore very hard to take seriously - considering it doesn't take the skaters serious! We have something like that in the Netherlands as well, there's basically no qualifying events after you're 36 for you. Which is kind of an insult to those adult skaters who train very hard and very seriously and who wish to compete against the best and not against who-ever feels like showing up that day. A skating friend of mine is coming up on that age and she's seriously questioning what she's working for at all anymore.

There are no qualifying events for any skater who doesn't aspire to their national elite championships. The USA are (as always) one step ahead of most countries in that their Adult National Competitions also includes Championship events, but most countries don't have such a big pool of adult skaters. Our Adult Championships lasts for 2 days, theirs for 5 - and we have very few skaters in the higher-level classes, especially for the older age-groups.

Nevertheless, those who compete in Adult Open and National competitions do take it seriously, go out there to skate the very best we can, and to have fun while we do so.

Come to the Mountain Cup this year, then you'll see what adult skating is all about!

Sessy
12-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Yes, well you have a good point there, the pool of adult skaters is, indeed, a universal problem... Still, sounds like you have a pretty good system in place. I take my comment back. :)

singerskates
01-01-2008, 12:05 AM
actually there ARE test requirements. There is no adult test system like the US (which I'm soooo glad we don't have) but you MUST take starskate tests in order to skate at that level. So in Canada that means I'll never be a "gold" level skater as you need all your doubles to pass the starskate gold test.If I was in the US I would have my gold...or be working on it because I have my junior bronze freeskate (which is equal to adult gold in the US).

Some people really want an adult test system...some do not. You can't please everyone. What we all do agree upon is there needs to be an introductory test...pre-preliminary...for ALL skaters as the prelim test is the first real test and it is quite difficult to pass if you have only just started skating not that long ago.

jp1andOnly were you just picking my brain before? LOL What you just typed is what I said before. And of course you are right, it's not just us that think this way but most adult skaters in Canada who compete. Yes, for one thing if we did have that pre-prelimary FS test, I'd already have it passed. I think what Skate Canada should do is split up the preliminary test as it is now and put the easier to pass elements in the pre-preliminary test; two foot spin, forward spin and sit spin (does not have to be 90 degrees), half flip, bunny hop, half Lutz, waltz jump, Salchow, toe loop, any forward spiral or lunge.

singerskates
01-01-2008, 12:25 AM
And since this is going to be the 5th year of adult nationals and we have grown from 69 skaters the first year to 150 the 4th year, we STILL don't have enough entries for qualifying. So be it. We do now have a competitive stream for those returning competitive skaters. For example, my brother and his friends could come and compete but they don't because all of them were senior men's skaters and still havea huge array of triples. They are still a little too competitive and it isn't fair to the gold level starskate adults who have a few doubles. We'll see what happens this year.

Actually the list of events that Skate Canada said they would hold for Adult Canadians said that Competitive events would be held for past Competitive Stream skaters. I'm guessing SC would use a set of relaxed Competitive competition technical guidelines for these skaters. Besides, Luc Bradet needs someone to wip his butt. Just joking about wipping his butt. It would be fun to see the Competitive Stream skaters come back and compete as adult skaters at their levels and it would be really encouraging to us and those at the higher levels who were never Competitive Steam skaters. Jp, have your bro contact SC to see if there are any other past Competitive Stream skaters, who are at least 25+ and at least 2 years removed from competing, that might be interested. It's how we got Adult Canadians by continuing to contact SC until they acted. Now it's the past Competitive Stream skaters' turn.

Rusty Blades
01-01-2008, 08:52 AM
No, not the dreaded Bunny Hop! 8O I'd rather work on the Axel than the @$#% bunny hop!

CanadianAdult
01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I got an Excellent on the Bunny Hop!

figure8s, sounds like you're in school in Toronto if you're going to take skating in your term. Ask at your school athletic department for names of coaches who do private lessons and when there is available ice. The way to move quickly through the sport is with one-on-one coaching. A coach can give you advice on competitions and joining a Skate Canada club. Good luck!

Virtualsk8r
01-01-2008, 03:30 PM

I understand your frustration as well. There are adults at our club who work their tails off skating 6 days a week, taking tests in the regular stream as they master the skills, and then end up competing at the Adult Invitational (it's not a national because there is no qualifying) - at a higher level than those in the club who NEVER take the tests so that they can win medals at these Adult competitions at the lowest level. Let's face it - an adult with gold dances should be able to pass more than just the pre-introductory interpretive -- but these skaters continue to compete at the lowest level for years because they say they are 'not ready' for the higher level (of competition or the fear of losing a guaranteed medal?)

I am glad the number of adults attending adult competitions is growing at the national level, but locally it is always the same skaters - might as well mail the medals because skaters won't move up.

There also needs to be a better way of divisioning the age groups and abilities. Last year in Calgary, there were large numbers of women in the lower age groups, and then groups of just 3 in the middle groups - so everyone in that group got a medal when the groups should have been better divisioned.

There needs to be a better test system in place, whereby adult beginners can try a pre-prelim type test or try a gold adult test - so that skaters are actually encouraged to better themselves rather than sit back and take away medals from those adults who are truly at the lower levels.

techskater
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
There are the same complaints here in the US - people stay at levels too long and "take medals away" from people who "really belong at that level". What you usually find is that there's a very good reason why the supposed "sandbagger" is at that level. The usual answer is that they can't pass the requisite MIF or they don't have one of the elements required to pass the FS test even though everything else is strong.

I just don't see that the Canadian system really has strength in that area - meaning the test structure holds people in lower levels than it could. We lobbied for a test structure and got it.

Rusty Blades
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I agree, sandbagging can be a problem - it is obvious watching the tapes to see who should be skating up a level (or two!).

Short of giving the judges the prerogative to move a skater up, I don't see any way around it with adults. You can have a 30 year old who has skated his/her whole life and never tested competing against a 40 year old who first put on skates last year.

Skate Canada did a reasonably good job by dividing events into groups and trying to sort skaters by both skill level and age. It left some small groups and some "automatic medals" but it was better than last year (2006). If there had been twice as many skaters, the divisions would have been even better.

JulieN
01-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Sandbagging rule of thumb:

Anyone who places ahead of of you is sandbagging.

Anyone who places below you is skating at the correct level.

:twisted:

Rusty Blades
01-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Julie: LOL!

1st - 15 points
2nd - 12 points
3rd - 5 points
4th - 4.5 points

Even competition?

hanca
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I understand your frustration as well. There are adults at our club who work their tails off skating 6 days a week, taking tests in the regular stream as they master the skills, and then end up competing at the Adult Invitational (it's not a national because there is no qualifying) - at a higher level than those in the club who NEVER take the tests so that they can win medals at these Adult competitions at the lowest level. Let's face it - an adult with gold dances should be able to pass more than just the pre-introductory interpretive -- but these skaters continue to compete at the lowest level for years because they say they are 'not ready' for the higher level (of competition or the fear of losing a guaranteed medal?)

I am glad the number of adults attending adult competitions is growing at the national level, but locally it is always the same skaters - might as well mail the medals because skaters won't move up.

There needs to be a better test system in place, whereby adult beginners can try a pre-prelim type test or try a gold adult test - so that skaters are actually encouraged to better themselves rather than sit back and take away medals from those adults who are truly at the lower levels.

I would know how to sort this out. What about introducing a rule that if at Invitational (or nationals) someone wins a medal, they have to move up to the higher category? :) And with local competitions the same - if you win a medal in a competition, the next year you are not allowed to compete in this competition in the same category, you have to move up. That would encourage skaters to get better.

Sessy
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Back when I was ballroom dancing, there was a similar system in place as to what I think you lot might be looking for.

There weren't any tests you had to take or anything to qualify to compete at any particular level. A newly formed dancing couple could enter at any level they wished (except national top levels, I think, and there is some age-division) and then had to get "promoting points".
For the 3 medal places in any category a certain amount of points was awarded, which was calculated from the number of contestants in that particular competition (since obviously it is far easier to be third out of five than third out of fifteen). Separate points were awarded for latin and ballroom wins (just like separate medals are) so if a couple decided to commit themselves to either of the two - as most couples do - that was no problem.
At a certain number of points, you were automatically promoted to a higher level. There was 1 catch: all these promoting points had to be acquired during 1 season.

Pretty great system if you ask me. One downside: if you get injured by the end of the season just a hair short of the needed points... Then that's a problem. I know people who competed with things like cracked ribs for this reason...

jskater49
01-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I would know how to sort this out. What about introducing a rule that if at Invitational (or nationals) someone wins a medal, they have to move up to the higher category? :) And with local competitions the same - if you win a medal in a competition, the next year you are not allowed to compete in this competition in the same category, you have to move up. That would encourage skaters to get better.

That would never work at local competitions....what about people like me--i can't even do a salchow...I'm usuallly creamed at pre-bronze but once I competed against one person that I was better than so I won. I'm not even capable of skating all the requirements of a well-balanced bronze - I'll never be able to do a sit spin and you are going to make me move up?

j

techskater
01-13-2008, 08:23 AM
That would never work at local competitions....what about people like me--i can't even do a salchow...I'm usuallly creamed at pre-bronze but once I competed against one person that I was better than so I won. I'm not even capable of skating all the requirements of a well-balanced bronze - I'll never be able to do a sit spin and you are going to make me move up?

j

jskater's right! It would never work in local competitions because the groups are much to small. Usually, everyone wins a medal at local competitions in the adult ranks because there's only 4 people (or 2 or 3....) Sometimes groups are combined for lack of entries.

I would agree that if you win a level at Nationals, you need to move up, unless you are the top level...

R D Lite
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Back when I was ballroom dancing, there was a similar system in place as to what I think you lot might be looking for.

This sounds similar to the system used by the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association when I used to compete in college equestrian. It was a bit complicated because there was a team component as well as an individual component, but essentially it worked like this: riders received a specific number of points for each ribbon won at a show (blue ribbon=7 pts, red ribbon=5 pts, yellow=4 pts, and so on through 6th place). Once the rider had received 35 points, he or she automatically moved up to the next division. A rider also needed 35 points in order to qualify for Regionals. (At Regionals, he or she needed to win Champion or Reserve Champion to qualify for Zones, and then do the same thing there to qualify for Nationals.) Points did carry over from season to season.

Sometimes you did find people trying to hold back at a level if they hadn't yet mastered everything they would need to be able to do at the next level, but because they basically had to quit competing to do that, it didn't happen often. Now and then someone would disappear for a year and then come back, having needed that time to bring their skills back in line, but generally, if they hadn't skipped the basics they were able to progress without a problem. The students who had problems were the ones who started jumping before learning how to ride correctly on the flat.

Sessy
01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
LOL reminds me, at some point at the debutants 4 level there were a lot of adults trying to hold back, coming like 2-3 points short of promotion to debutants 3. Like 10 couples or so, all from 1 region, too. Debutants 4 was getting very crowded at certain regional competitions, debutants 3 was becoming empty.
So they just ad-hoc lowered the amount of points needed for promotion, and 8 or so of those couples were instantly jettisoned into the higher level, even though they were trying to avoid that.

Boy were they pissed. :mrgreen:

mousey
01-14-2008, 02:30 AM
im probably missing the obvious, but what is the minimum age for adult skating in canada?

Rusty Blades
01-14-2008, 06:12 AM
im probably missing the obvious, but what is the minimum age for adult skating in canada?

It depends on the competition - anywhere from 18 to 25 - though they are trying to standardize so there is no gap between Competitive and Adults.