View Full Version : North Carolina SF Meetup?

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Since I missed Jazzpants' annual meetup, I wondered if there was interest in a North Carolina Triangle meetup for skatingforums?

jwrnsktr
12-29-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm in! If we don't skate in Tinsel Town, the Factory usually has a pretty open freestyle (once the kiddies go back to school) and then we could even have lunch at the Village Deli or the Armadillo Grill. They are both right next to the Factory. Just a thought.....

looplover
12-29-2007, 10:23 AM
I am totally in!! I'd love to meet some skatingforums people :D :D :D :D

I haven't been to the Factory yet, that sounds great.

The rink in Hillsborough doesn't allow any figure skating on their public sessions anymore (which are absolutely packed) so that would be a bad spot to meet.

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I thought I had already posted this, but I don't see it now. In any case...

Tinsel Town is only open through December 31st, that might be too short notice for a meetup.
(I thought of this earlier, but my vacation plans weren't finalized until yesterday, sorry.)

The Factory sounds great to me, and having lunch nearby is a wonderful idea!
If someone wanted to join us just for lunch, that would be great.
Their January freestyle schedule isn't online yet, but they usually have Friday morning freestyles at 9, 10, and 11. I can't make the 9am because of the commute, but 10am or 11am is fine. The 11am is a shorter session, but I've never been rushed off the ice.

How about Friday, January 4th at 11am to skate at The Factory followed by lunch?

looplover
12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
I'd love to, but I have to work! Grr, life intrudes :twisted:

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I'd love to, but I have to work! Grr, life intrudes :twisted:
Suggest another date/time that works! I'm fairly flexible.

looplover
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Suggest another date/time that works! I'm fairly flexible.

I could do that weekend! Any session. I wish I could do the midweek sessions, it would be less crowded and cheaper...I'd practice more :halo:

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 09:48 PM
How about a Sunday afternoon skate?

skaternum
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I could meet next weekend, anytime after 11 on Saturday or anytime Sunday after 12:30 -- barring anything unforeseen coming up.

Edited to Add: I'm not skating yet, so I'd just be coming along for the company.

uncfigsktr
12-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I would be up for a meeting, however my weekend schedule ends up being crazy. This weekend is out (family and hockey games) and next weekend, I will be in DC for the New Year's Invitational. I could do a weekday lunch though.:lol:

skatingatty
12-30-2007, 10:34 PM
I'd be interested in meeting up too, but I might be out of town (mother in law's b-day) until Sat. afternoon. Sunday would be fine also. How long will you be in town, and are you staying near the Factory in Wake Forest?

jwrnsktr
12-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Friday is good with me - Sunday - it's very crowded there. Of course, this is how it's going to be with adults - who is working, who has family obligations, it's going to be tough but we can work something out. I'm more apt to go on a weekday......

Isk8NYC
12-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Hmm, an impasse. Should we take a vote?

NCSkater02
01-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow--I didn't realize there were this many of us in the Raleigh area!

I'm interested, dependant on my work schedule--I do have to work Friday, so that's out.

skatingatty
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I vote for meeting Sunday at the 1pm Factory Ice House public session; it's usually not too bad if you get there right when the session begins. I might be able to make it Sat. afternoon or evening also.

jwrnsktr
01-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I could probably do that as well on Sun afternoon for a quick meet-up - should let you know that those of us frequenting the Factory public sessions were able to enjoy doing anything we wanted freestyle-wise (is that a word?) until recently when we were given the "no spins, no jumps on public sessions" law. Long story, but understandable so we won't go there. Another option since we have lots of time and there's no pressure regarding a specific meeting date or time, is to meet somewhere on a weekday after work for dinner or coffee. We can get acquainted and then figure out times when we can skate together. I feel that what would happen if we meet up to skate is that we'll hang with our usual skating buddies and not get a chance to get acquainted. Just another thought.........

skatingatty
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like my skating club's going to have an important mtg. at 1pm Sunday, so if we meet Sunday afternoon, I won't be able to show up until 2:30pm at the earliest. Anyway, Isk8NYC, since this is your special trip, please let us know what time and date you prefer and who ever can make it will show up.

Isk8NYC
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
What if we wait until after the NYI, so those people competing don't lose any practices and they'll be able to tell us about the Event?

I telecommute, which gives me a very flexible schedule. I usually run into jwrnsktr on Fridays at The Factory, but she's always leaving as I'm arriving. I think we were on the ice at the same time only once, right? I skated on a holiday public last week and it was a crowded madhouse with no guards. I guess that's why I got away with spinning and jumping. *snicker* At my last rink the Friday and Saturday publics were awful but the Sunday afternoons were quiet - the biggest problem were the parents who thought the middle was a "safety zone" for their toddlers. :roll:

I teach skating on Saturdays, so that's out, but I can take a long lunch during the week. I just have to be back by 2:30pm to pick up kiddies at school.
Evenings are pretty flexible, as are Sunday afternoons.

Unfortunately, it looks like my skating club's going to have an important mtg. at 1pm Sunday, so if we meet Sunday afternoon, I won't be able to show up until 2:30pm at the earliest. Anyway, Isk8NYC, since this is your special trip, please let us know what time and date you prefer and who ever can make it will show up.Not a special trip for me - I live here! Let's see if we can't come to a compromise so no one feels left out.

skaternum
01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I like the idea of waiting until after the NYI. Those who compete can give the rest of us the good stories! Since I'm not currently skating, I don't care what session is chosen. My only issue is that I cannot leave work (normal 9-6ish hours) on weekdays.

looplover
01-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Oops, been away from the board for a few days - Waiting until after NYI sounds good to me! I didn't know the Factory has the no jump/spin law during publics, grr.

RecZone has a lot of figure skaters on publics.

I'll be away the weekend of the 19th and the following one, so if I miss this meetup I'll catch you guys another time!

jwrnsktr
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
OK, great, waiting til after the NYI is a good idea.

We were basically allowed to do anything we wanted to on the public ice at the Factory, which is nicer ice, in my opinion than the freestyle side. There was a situation, however, which pushed the rink owners to make the rules regarding no spinning or jumping on public sessions. You know, one person can ruin a good thing and that's what happened. There are never guards on the ice at the Factory. On LI, we always had guards. In fact I was a guard there. Not so down here....

Laura, are you skating tomorrow? I'll be there for an hour, from 10-11. Having a toe issue and can only stay on for one hour at a time.

Jeanette

Isk8NYC
01-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I was planning to do my Friday skate there, esp. considering the success I had today. I'll come early and skate with you on the 10-11am tomorrow.

jwrnsktr
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Cool! See you tomorrow!