View Full Version : Body Worlds and pairs skating

kander
12-28-2007, 11:32 PM
I saw the strangest thing today. For those of you who are not familiar with it, "Body Worlds" is a traveling exhibit of real (dead) human bodies showing every aspect of human anatomy. One of the exhibits showed a pair skaters doing a death spiral....with no skin! Anybody else seen this? 8O

The overall exhibit was very educational. You get to see all the muscles, tendons, joints, bones, etc. that we're always talking about injuring. I found it particularly interesting to see a real sciatica nerve in a real body. I could see where it goes and which parts of my body it would (and wouldn't) affect.

SkatingOnClouds
12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ate dinner. I am sure it would be really interesting, but talk about macabre !8O

Isk8NYC
12-29-2007, 01:38 AM
I took a pass on that exhibit, twice. (Meaning: I chose to not view it.) The "medium" reminds me of the paintings made with animal dung that raised such a stink a few years back. Pun intended. lol

The thought of using real people is nauseating to me - I'm not even keen on the taxidermy animal exhibits at the museums.

Was it really necessary? There are so many talented artists in this world that could have created the same thing.

samba
12-29-2007, 04:16 AM
Glad you found it educational, I think this sort of exhibit is in danger of also attracting the sort of people that are not in the least bit interested in education and probably have some serious mental issues.

coskater64
12-29-2007, 09:55 AM
The exhibit was in Denver for 6-8 weeks last year, while very interesting in showing how the body works it is controversial. Rumor has it the "bodies" are those of executed prisoners from China's prisons. The way they preserve the bodies is interesting but I think it is one of those things, if you don't like it...don't see it. It reminds me of some of the first staged art in the early 20-30's by a Brazilian woman named Bourgeois. She did very dark disturbing art exhibits that contained entire horse carcases encased in glass, very gruesome, very surreal.

I think those comes under the concept of freedom of expression, and as state above if you don't like it don't see it...

On the other hand how the body works is very interesting and that is what the exhibit is about.

:halo: :halo:

FlyAndCrash
12-29-2007, 11:43 AM
A few years back when it was in Minnesota, there were many newscasts on it and everyone said the bodies were of people wwo "donated their bodies to science."

sue123
12-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I saw the Body exhibit a couple years ago. There are a few of them out there, I don't remember which I saw, it was in Vegas. I thought it was kinda cool, especially the part where they had a bunch of arteries and veins injected with plastic stuff and you could see the network. But didn't see skaters in a death spiral. I have to say, I think I would appreciate it more now that I've seen the stuff in lab and found those things on a body myself, I hate reading the plaques. BTW, the first time I saw the sciatic nerve, I thought it was a muscle :oops:

double3s
12-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I just saw one of the travelling Bodies exhibits and thought it was amazing. No skaters in this one, unfortunately. Many people thinks it's gross, but many others, including me, thinks it's fascinating and wonderful and there is no substitute for the real thing when it comes to learning about anatomy.