View Full Version : My daughter has had 3 private lessons(m)

isakswings
12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
and I can already see a difference! Is that possible? She will be in Basic 6 in January. When we decided to start private lessons, I still had some doubts since she is still pretty low in her levels. But I can see a definate improvement in just 3 lessons. Is it just me THINKING she has improved some or is it possible? I really am amazed. :-)

Angie

Mom to Janae

Isk8NYC
12-22-2007, 02:18 AM
It's definitely possible. Some students really benefit from the individual attention; it helps them focus on their form and posture. Skating with good posture cures a lot of problems and makes them "look" like a skater!

Congrats!

jskater49
12-22-2007, 09:13 AM
If you have a good coach....15 minutes can make an amazing difference. Basic 4, 5 6 is when I recommend people start taking private lessons because crossovers, 3 turns, those are the kinds of things that having someone take the time to see what you are doing with your body that is hampering your progess can make all the difference in the world.

HOw exciting for her!

j

SynchroSk8r114
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
As a coach, I've had lots of parents tell me this over the course of their first few lessons, which always makes me feel good knowing that my (and the skaters') hard work pays off! So, yes...noticable improvement is definitely possible.

isakswings
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
It's definitely possible. Some students really benefit from the individual attention; it helps them focus on their form and posture. Skating with good posture cures a lot of problems and makes them "look" like a skater!

Congrats!

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. She is working on her posture and how to correctly do things. I see her practicing more too when she has free time then she did before private lessons. I like her coach so far. :-)

isakswings
12-22-2007, 11:13 AM
If you have a good coach....15 minutes can make an amazing difference. Basic 4, 5 6 is when I recommend people start taking private lessons because crossovers, 3 turns, those are the kinds of things that having someone take the time to see what you are doing with your body that is hampering your progess can make all the difference in the world.

HOw exciting for her!

j

She's been working on crossovers with her and helping her increase her speed with her front crossovers. She was struggling some with her back crossovers and those have gotten better since she started taking private lessons. I see her using her arms now much more then she did before too. She has 30 minute lessons at this point and this seems to be a good fit for her at this point. She's learning and has learned all the things you've mentioned and her current fave thing to practice right now is a bunny hop! She LOVES bunny hops! Her coach has been teaching her some Basic 6 things in her lessons, so I am sure when her group lessons start up again in a couple of weeks, she should have quite a bit of confidence when it comes to doing these things in class.

Angie

isakswings
12-22-2007, 11:15 AM
As a coach, I've had lots of parents tell me this over the course of their first few lessons, which always makes me feel good knowing that my (and the skaters') hard work pays off! So, yes...noticable improvement is definitely possible.

Glad to know it isn't just me THINKING she is improving. :-) I told her coach the same thing yesterday too and she seemed very pleased to hear that. :-)

kayskate
12-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Individual attn is very beneficial. I teach both grp and private. Working 1-on-1, I can address issues and make corrections ongoing. In a grp w other students who need attn, it is not possible to work w the same intensity as a private lesson. Some kids like the social grp settling a function well when trying to compete w others and watching others. However, this is not good if they are goofing around and copying other kids' mistakes. Kids who like attn do very well in a private lesson. They enjoy being the coach's entire focus and can even see their own improvement.

Kay

sk8rxforxlife
12-25-2007, 01:02 PM
It is TOTALLY possible.