View Full Version : figure loops

phoenix
12-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I have a new exercise that involves all of the figure loops (forward & backward, inside & outside). The only ones I can sort of do are the back insides, though I hit my toepicks quite a bit. They are about the size of my car steering wheel (though elongated). All the others are bigger than a hula-hoop, in other words, they aren't really a loop!!

How big should a loop be, ideally? And any thoughts on technique would be appreciated too. I can at least feel how the back outsides should go. The forward ones, I don't even know how to begin to make those happen! :giveup:

flo
12-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Try starting the forward ones on two feet - really the extra foot was right above the ice. That helped me get the "feel".

skatingdoris
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
The ideal size of a loop is as follows

length of:
major axis - 1.5 times the length of your blade
minor axis - length of your blade

or, the length of the loop should be one and a half of your blade lengths and the width just one blade length.

I am absolutely rubbish at foward loops but with the backwards ones you really need to have a ridiculous amount of knee bend and draw the loop shape in the air with your free foot as you do the loop.

hope this makes some sense to you. x

Isk8NYC
12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
In Figures, the loop part is supposed to be 1/3 the size of the entire lobe.

Keep the FI edge cross-checked with the free leg back, and don't let the leg come forward until you've actually BEGUN the looping part. Think about using the leg-through action to "pull" you out of the loop.

coskater64
12-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I was taught the same as doris. Long axis 1 1/2 blade lengths, short axis or width of loop one blade length, the size of the circle is 1/3 your normal circle size.

coskater

vesperholly
12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I tried some of these today. FI were the easiest, I could do them with consistency thought the size (too small) and placement varied. FO were second easiest. I couldn't get them small enough most of the time. BI kept turning into double 3s but I did a few. Didn't try any BO. I did figures up to 2nd test when I was a teenager but never tested them, as MIF were introduced right as I started testing.

Here's a video of a better one of my LFI loops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQmpUP6tgY

phoenix
12-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Wow, thanks for all the tips, & thanks for the video, vesperholly! It helps a lot.

Thin-Ice
12-21-2007, 04:27 AM
I tried some of these today. FI were the easiest, I could do them with consistency thought the size (too small) and placement varied. FO were second easiest. I couldn't get them small enough most of the time. BI kept turning into double 3s but I did a few. Didn't try any BO. I did figures up to 2nd test when I was a teenager but never tested them, as MIF were introduced right as I started testing.

Here's a video of a better one of my LFI loops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQmpUP6tgY

This is great.. you can even hear the blade on the ice in this!