View Full Version : Holiday Shows?(!)

AnnM
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Is anyone else skating in a holiday show/competition this week? My rink's "competition" [I put that in quotes because everyone gets an award at this one ;) ] is on Friday. I signed up to participate to give myself a break from practicing MITF. Now of course I find myself wondering, "what the heck was I thinking?" :lol:

GordonSk8erBoi
12-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Ours was 12/7. This Friday? Waaaay too close to Christmas, what were they thinking?

jazzpants
12-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Ours was the 7th and the 8th. And I agree it's too close to Christmas, especially for those last minute shoppers (like me...) :giveup:

Skittl1321
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I skated in our rink's christmas show. It was a lot of fun. Ours was also early in the month (the 7th) but I think it was TOO early. No one was thinking of christmas yet.

You'll do great! Don't second guess your decision, just skate and have fun!

Clarice
12-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Ours was Dec. 9. We would have liked it a week later, but the rink was hosting a major hockey tournament that weekend. Our attendance was down because of bad weather, and the fact that we were against the local ballet company's production of Nutcracker. It was still a lot of fun, though! I skated a tribute to my granddaughter's first Christmas to Barbra Streisand's recording of "The Best Gift", and did "Sleigh Ride" with the adult synchro team.

NickiT
12-18-2007, 02:51 PM
We've just done seven performances of Peter Pan on Ice. It was an absolute blast!

Nicki

SynchroSk8r114
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
All done for holiday shows now, but I just wrapped up three of them: a performance w/ my collegiate synchro team at my city's downtown rink for a benefit gala, another synchro number at our rink, and a third that was televised in Wheeling, West Virginia for Symphony on Ice (huge deal!!!) Holiday shows are an absolute blast! :D

emkayy
12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Ours is Saturday :) Reaaaaally late!

liz_on_ice
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Is anyone else skating in a holiday show/competition this week? My rink's "competition" [I put that in quotes because everyone gets an award at this one ;) ] is on Friday. I signed up to participate to give myself a break from practicing MITF. Now of course I find myself wondering, "what the heck was I thinking?" :lol:

You were thinking there is nothing so motivating to work hard than fear of public humiliation. :lol:

Ours was this Sunday, my DD skated with her LTS class, but I have my lessons elsewhere so just watched. There was a bit of confusion between her and the other skater in her class on what the choreography was supposed to be. Hers wasn't the only class with that problem. It was cute. 8-)

AnnM
12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
You were thinking there is nothing so motivating to work hard than fear of public humiliation. :lol:

:lol: You can only imagine my relief when I found that that I am the only one "competing" in my category! Apparently I'm the only 30-ish FS3 female skater.

Speaking of motivating, I tried on my dress for the show last night. I hadn't worn it in a couple years and boy does it ever look different now. I am definitely making regular exercise a priority from now on. :giveup:

liz_on_ice
12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
:lol: You can only imagine my relief when I found that that I am the only one "competing" in my category! Apparently I'm the only 30-ish FS3 female skater.

That's worse! If there are two of you, the worst you can do is silver. If you are the only one, they judge you against the book and score like you were testing. You could actually lose. :oops:

Speaking of motivating, I tried on my dress for the show last night. I hadn't worn it in a couple years and boy does it ever look different now. I am definitely making regular exercise a priority from now on. :giveup:

Oh yes, skating dresses are seriously motivating. :giveup:

jazzpants
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Speaking of motivating, I tried on my dress for the show last night. I hadn't worn it in a couple years and boy does it ever look different now. I am definitely making regular exercise a priority from now on. :giveup:THE DRESS...was my main reason for going on my diet this year. :twisted: :lol: (Thankfully I am at my target weight...)

Ice Dancer
12-19-2007, 03:56 PM
My rinks was over the weekend and finished yesterday. I went to watch it last night with some friends and it was fantastic! Good on all of them for their hard work.

Maybe next year I'll have the balls to be in it myself, but no doubt I'll find an excuse!

Skate@Delaware
12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Our show is this weekend and I'm majorly STRESSED!!!! It's a week later than normal, the costumes keep getting changed and I'm still finishing up on them, my daughter is flying in early Sunday morning (hubby is picking her up thank goodness)......we have dress rehearsal on Friday evening, and my back has decided to start hurting again.

did I say I was STRESSED??????

And my son is home sick with bronchitis.....

once again, not a snowflake

(Nutcracker on Ice again)

AnnM
12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
THE DRESS...was my main reason for going on my diet this year. :twisted: :lol: (Thankfully I am at my target weight...)

And YOU, my dear :) , have been an inspiration to me. You are totally my diet/exercise role model. :bow:

AnnM
12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
You could actually lose. :oops:

Well, the hidden beauty of my rink's Christmas competition is that everyone goes home with an award for something, even if it's for "Most Festive Costume", "Best Holiday Spirit", "Cheeriest Performer", etc. I volunteered as a judge last year we came up with some doozies of awards for the larger competition groups. :lol:

SkatingOnClouds
12-20-2007, 01:55 AM
We had our Christmas show on 1st December. I had a horrible virus which was like a bad flu with a terrible chesty cough. Just as well I had only a minor, unchallenging role as Frosty the Snowman, else I wouldn't have been able to do it. If it hadn't been for the kids who'd worked on their routine, including my 10yo daughter, I don't think I would've dragged myself out.

It was the first show at our rink for a few years. It would've been a lot of fun, I hope we do another next year.

Mrs Redboots
12-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Well, the hidden beauty of my rink's Christmas competition is that everyone goes home with an award for something, even if it's for "Most Festive Costume", "Best Holiday Spirit", "Cheeriest Performer", etc. I volunteered as a judge last year we came up with some doozies of awards for the larger competition groups. :lol:

Our gala was a couple of weeks ago - I was announcing, and did so even though I had flu and really wanted to be in bed. The judges thought up all sorts of awards for people - glitteriest costume, most Christmassy, the group that had most fun, the most drunken group (they weren't really, but they did have fun pretending to be!), etc.....

DallasSkater
12-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Love that some of your clubs gave prizes to everyone in such a creative manner!

SkateDelaware! May your skate reflect all the effort you put in! Crossing fingers and toes for a beautiful performance from the promoted snowflake!

We had our Christmas skate in a Mall. They allowed no warm up and the ice was soft! eeek! giggle.

I did ok but knew I could have skated so much better with even a few minutes to test out the ice and my skate legs. I have learned my lesson though...next time when I am announced on ice and they do not have a warm up....I will simply skate around a minute...Why did I not think of that in the moment? What could they do? Demand I start? giggle again...oh, it just made me feel rebellious!

I skated to Miss Piggy's version of Santa Baby...it has been my favorite program to date...kind of my tribute to middle age fluffiness on ice complete with a boa!

I also did an adult group number in an elf costume no less....Oh, I love Christmas!

Good luck to all the skaters that still have their shows!

AnnM
12-26-2007, 11:28 AM
The post-show update:

I had a lot of fun! I ended up being deemed "Most Artistic" despite my wild airplane arms in an attempt to save my RBO spiral into a back pivot. :lol: I did manage to avoid a face plant and did the best back pivot EVER (because I was so happy to have both feet back down on the ice!).

Skate@Delaware
12-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Our show was very nice...even with my fall!

I think our attendance was down because of it being so close to Christmas, we usually perform to an overflow crowd but this year there were empty seats. Oh well.

I think next year we will be doing a different show, not Nutcracker! (Egads!!! that means even MORE costumes!!!) 8O