View Full Version : So...What Happens Next?

Helen88
12-16-2007, 08:29 AM
I've nearly finished Skate UK (WHOOOOOO!! *celebrates quietly*), and I was wondering what what I'd do next. Other than ask my coach, which I forgot to do today, and my inquiring mind can't wait a week :P.

I remember having a conversation with her on how she didn't like the way Bronze, Sliver and Gold were set out, and that once I'd done Skate UK, I'd go back to a level 1 at a higher level (!?).

Has anyone done these 'higher levels'? Do they have a name? What do you have to do for them?

abbi_1990
12-16-2007, 08:33 AM
well normally, after skate uk you would to Skate UK Passport which has bronze, silver and gold. then you would do the NISA levels which start from level 1.

it sounds as though your coach doesnt like the Skate UK Passport, but i dont think you would be able to go straight from skate UK to the NISA levels because there would be a HUGE difference in difficulty.

just HMO.

Helen88
12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
well normally, after skate uk you would to Skate UK Passport which has bronze, silver and gold. then you would do the NISA levels which start from level 1.

it sounds as though your coach doesnt like the Skate UK Passport, but i dont think you would be able to go straight from skate UK to the NISA levels because there would be a HUGE difference in difficulty.

just HMO.

Ahhh okay thanks :) I'll have to ask her. I thought NISA was from the US :roll: there's proof of how good MY skating knowledge is!!

abbi_1990
12-16-2007, 08:51 AM
nope, NISA stands for National Ice Skating Association

here is the link to the website

www.iceskating.org.uk

sk8_4fun
12-16-2007, 09:18 AM
I was told you have to do passport in either dance or free before they allow you to take the proper NISA tests. I know things change constantly so it could be different by now, but I'm sure this was the case 6 months ago.

fsk8r
12-16-2007, 09:29 AM
You have to take the Bronze, Silver and Gold Passport before you take any NISA tests and you have to submit the passport with your test application form for your first test.

However, your coach might decide it's better to start teaching you the level 1 elements / moves / dances and go back and fill in what you don't know from the passport. Most of the passport elements are required for the NISA tests but at a slightly higher level, so you won't be skipping anything if you start work on the higher tests.

peanutskates
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
you have to do Bronze, Silver, Gold Passport before Level 1... because you can't do the Level 1 test without having the passport completed.

I'm doing level 1 now - loop, sitspin, (coming soon...)flip. In the passport, I learnt toe loop and salchow, one foot spin and backspin. (as well as some other stuff, spirals and such)

maybe your coach is just going to teach you all the passport stuff in a different order than written down? but basically, before your Level 1 test, you still need to buy the passport and tick the boxes. How you learn the stuff you must know to tick the boxes, well that's up to your coach.

to answer your original question, the 'higher level' level 1 is

Level 1 Field Moves (spirals, edges, landing position, crossovers)
loop
sitspin
scratch spin
flip (I think)

this stuff is what I'm learning at level 1. I'm not sure if any of it is at level 2, it might have been a little mixed up by my coach.

Helen88
12-16-2007, 09:56 AM
You have to take the Bronze, Silver and Gold Passport before you take any NISA tests and you have to submit the passport with your test application form for your first test.

However, your coach might decide it's better to start teaching you the level 1 elements / moves / dances and go back and fill in what you don't know from the passport. Most of the passport elements are required for the NISA tests but at a slightly higher level, so you won't be skipping anything if you start work on the higher tests.

Replies, replies...thank you :).

That sounds like the sort of thing she would do...the first NISA test is like an official one then? Rather than youor coach going 'right, you've passed [Skate UK] level __?

Thanks for the elements Peanuts.

sk8_4fun
12-16-2007, 09:56 AM
depends which way you are going to go but there are level 1:

field moves: forwrd curves, spirals on both legs, forward and backward x-overs, back xovers followed by a sustained back outside edge.

Elements: perimeter skating, toe-loop OR salchow, 3-jump, staright line step sequence, forward upright spin and spirals on a curve.

Freeskate programme 1.5 minutes

Free dance

compulsary dances: Foxtrot and Rhythm blues

and I think there is a variation dance too?

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, it's a variation Rhythm Blues. And level 2 is a variation Canasta Tango, and then you can finally get into an OD, which is a huge pain as our coach would like us to do an OD this winter, but no point as we have nowhere to compete it, and can't test it unless we do the wretched variations first!

It's all a bit silly, really - as someone once said, you have to be able to do at least part of the 14-step for your Gold passport so that you can go back and test the Novice Foxtrot at Level 1 Bronze!

Of course, for some skaters it's definitely "going back", whereas for others it's not. The NISA levels are at nationally accepted standards; coaches can vary in what they will and will not pass.

ETA And don't forget that once you have your Passport, you're eligible for Open competitions.

fsk8r
12-16-2007, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Helen88;347427]Replies, replies...thank you :).

That sounds like the sort of thing she would do...the first NISA test is like an official one then? Rather than youor coach going 'right, you've passed [Skate UK] level __?
QUOTE]

Yes the NISA tests are the first official ones done in front of a judge and are frankly plain scary (but good scary). The passport is like your Skate UK in that the coach signs it off. I learnt to skate before Skate UK existed and then didn't take real tests until it did, so I had to have a test on the passport with my coach. Thankfully I passed bronze, silver and gold in my 15min lesson, whereas my sister was just signed off by her coach as he knew that she could do it all and didn't want to see her demonstrate it.
Doesn't make much difference really as if you can't do a move right you can't pass level 1 even if you were passed for the passport.

sk8_4fun
12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
IMHO passport is a bit odd because it varies so much from coach to coach as to what is acceptable for a pass. for example. My coach insisted that I did all the elements of each level, on demand, rather than another coach who just ticked them off for her student without actually 'testing' them. I had to skate a gold programme with music in front of a different coach (wasn't allowed to be mine) and she decided if I passed or not. A skating friend, also doing passport, has no music, fewer jumps and will skate it for her coach? I've always been at a loss as to how this can differ so much between coaches, let alone rinks??

sorry, slightly off thread but I wondered if anyone else has experienced different standards?

Thanks in advance

fsk8r
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
my "program" was made up on the spot in 30seconds. Coach said she wanted jump, spin and spiral (i think she wanted a spiral) in any order i liked with footwork if i fancied as well. I think i'll have struggled to fill more than 30seconds with no music and no preparation. But then again, she saw it as a formality to do my level 1 field moves which I was about to enter.
But as I said, she made me skate all the moves, my sister was ticked off. I know other adults at the rink who are struggling to do all the passport, but I think that is because they've declared themselves dancers and are struggling with some mohawk step sequence whereas I thought it was infinitely easier to do a bad one footed spin and a three jump.

singerskates
12-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't know. :?? Over here in Canada we have either the standard test stream tests (Preliminary, Junior Bronze, Senior Bronze, Junior Silver, Senior Silver and Gold) which are taken by recreational kid skaters, StarSkaters and Adult Skaters or the competitive tests (Juvenile, Pre-Novice, Novice, Junior and Senior)taken by Competitive stream skaters.

Both the test stream and the competitive stream tests dance and freeskate tests. Skill and interpretive tests are only available under the Test Stream tests. But Pair tests are only available in competitive stream tests.

In Canada we adults opted to keep taking the regular Test Stream tests instead of doing like the US who have a watered down Adult series of tests. It may take us longer to pass a level over here but when we do, it's sure worth it.

Once you pass Preliminary FS over here in Canada, you can usually do all your jumps upto a flip, all basic spins (forward camel, forward sit, forward one foot spin and backspin)... actually below is what we do over here just for the Preliminary FS test:

PART 1: ELEMENTS (Rule 4304 (1) (a)): 14 compulsory elements in isolation:
(a) STROKING: Two exercises (direction is optional):
• FORWARD PERIMETER STROKING: The skater skates forward around the
perimeter of the rink, using straight strokes along the sides and cross-cuts around the
ends.
• BACKWARD PERIMETER STROKING: The skater skates backwards around
the perimeter of the rink, using straight strokes along the sides and cross-cuts around
the ends.
(b) JUMPS: Five jumps consisting of:
• Bunny Hop
• Waltz
• Salchow
• Flip
• Loop
(c) JUMP COMBINATION: One jump combination consisting of a Toe Loop/Toe Loop.
(d) SPINS: Four spins each with a minimum of 2 rotations consisting of:
• Forward One-Foot Upright (or Corkscrew)
• Backward One-Foot Upright (or Corkscrew)
• Sit Spin
• Camel Spin
(e) FIELD MOVEMENTS: Two field movements as follows:
• Right Forward Spiral (choice of edge)
• Left Forward Spiral (choice of edge)
(f) PASSING REQUIREMENT: 12/14 elements satisfactory or better. All stroking
exercises must be satisfactory or better.

(2) PART 2: PROGRAM (Rule 4304 (1) (b)): A free skating program to music.

(a) DURATION: A program of 1.5 or 2.0 minutes (± 10 seconds).
(b) ELEMENTS: This program shall contain:
• JUMPS: A minimum of 3 different jumps of at least one rotation.
• SPINS: A minimum of 2 different spins.
(c) PASSING REQUIREMENT:
(i) FOUR OF SIX CRITERIA SATISFACTORY OR BETTER: A Satisfactory
evaluation or better in 4/6 of the following criteria:
• Use of Ice
• Use of Music
• Carriage/Line/Form
• Sureness of Skating Skills (excluding jumps and spins)
• Speed
• Program Composition
(ii) FURTHER PASSING REQUIREMENT: Sureness of skating skills must be
satisfactory or better.

Is this what your first NISA test is like in the United Kingdom (a.k.a Briton)?

Helen88
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Has anyone got a list/link to a list of the NISA levels that they could post? I know they're a world away...I'm just curious :D

Isk8NYC
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
check the reference thread - there are a few links there for NISA.
http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=322569#14

Helen88
12-18-2007, 02:37 PM
check the reference thread - there are a few links there for NISA.
http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=322569#14

Thanks Isk8NYC:)

Isk8NYC
12-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Isk8NYC:)
You're welcome. BTW, anyone who has links to add to the reference threads, feel free to do so. More info in a handy place is good!

BatikatII
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
That link seems to show the old NISA tests. There have been many changes since. SK8_4fun gave the new level 1 tests and most people pass that pretty quickly since they have done most, if not all, the elements for passport but are held to a higher and supposedly more consistent standard for the level 1 tests which have official NISA judges rather than a coach to test them.

Loops and flips are on higher level tests - in fact level 3 I think - although coaches teach them much earlier as they can be used in lower level comps.

There are no seperate adult tests in UK - we test standard tests along with the kids. The most competitive kids compete in IJS comps rather than or in addition to standard opens. Adults have their own Adult championships as well as a few adult only events like the Bracknell Adult open comp in June.

The free skating tests have 3 parts which must all be passed before you go onto the next level. Free which is a programme 1.5 mins at level 1, elements where required elements are skated in isolation and field moves (although field moves tests may be taken in advance of other test levels (hence why I have level 1 free but level 4 field moves - which equates to the old interbronze on that old thread)).

LW*
12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Been away from skating for several years and rather confused by the whole new test structure! I have various test passes on the old test scheme (novice, prelim etc) BUT I never took any ice dance tests. If I want to take level 1 dance tests do I have to go back and do the dance part of the NISA passport? :??

Thanks in advance!
L

NickiT
12-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Been away from skating for several years and rather confused by the whole new test structure! I have various test passes on the old test scheme (novice, prelim etc) BUT I never took any ice dance tests. If I want to take level 1 dance tests do I have to go back and do the dance part of the NISA passport? :??

Thanks in advance!
L

You would need to do Passport in Dance as far as I know. My daughter is level 2 in elements and free and recently took a few dance lessons - she was told she needed to complete Passport before working for level 1.

Nicki

BatikatII
12-19-2007, 06:37 AM
That just proves NISA have lost the plot. I guess they'd be asking my daughter (level 5 freeskater who has won medals at our club dance comp and learned 3 dances including the level 5 one for the competition in 45 minutes) to do passport if she wants to take the dance tests? It's plain ridiculous.

Actually I'd have thought that since the moves tests are now just moves rather than free or dance that the fact a skater has moves tests should preclude the need to do passport. Are you sure your daughter has to do passoport Nicki?

Otherwise it's just another money making venture by NISA.

LW*
12-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks Nicki, I thought that was probably the case! It's just frustrating because I was pretty much ready to take prelim field moves and the first compulsory dance tests when I stopped, but now if I want to do them I'll have to go back levels first!

To be honest it's not actually doing the passport that bothers me, by the looks of it it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to do all three levels (I mean for someone who's covered the work before) but to have to buy a totally unnecessary expensive booklet for your pains to get it signed off seems taking it too far :( I agree with BatikatII, it just seems to be another money making venture for NISA, and a way of making sure that rinks use their learn to skate schemes rather than their own.

fsk8r
12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
NISA only require the passport for the very first test you take with them. After that they've got a record that you've passed it. They don't care whether you pass figure or dance. I've passed figure on the passport but only have level 1 compulsory dance. I've yet to do my level 1 elements or free. So they're not quite as money grabbing as they sometimes appear.
In terms of tests. If you've tested on the old system, there are equivalencies so that you can transfer onto the new system, but if you've only got novice moves, you're not going to get ahead, as the next test is level 2.

Has anyone else noticed that the new field moves tests are a bit top heavy with three-turns. I know they're a key skill, but do I really have to do them for levels 2 through 4 inclusive?

LW*
12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Fingers crossed for not having to do passport then! I'm sure I don't need to do it for elements/free but not having taken any dance tests I wasn't sure if I had to do the dance part before doing level 1 dance. My problem with the field moves is that I don't have novice field moves, because it didn't exist! So will have to go back and do that, even though had almost finished prelim :( Oh well, I'm sure it will be good for me in the long run!

fsk8r
12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
If you were nearly ready for prelim you should be able to come back and do level 1 moves without too much effort and level 1 compulsory dance easily. At that stage they're only looking for an ability to stand up straight and bend your knee and not cower at the oger sitting in the judging box.

Mrs Redboots
12-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Thanks in advance!
L

You would need to do Passport in Dance as far as I know. My daughter is level 2 in elements and free and recently took a few dance lessons - she was told she needed to complete Passport before working for level 1.

Nicki

I don't think so, Nicki - Husband got his Levels 1-3 Compulsory dance tests before the passport was introduced, and was not required to go back and take it before taking his Level 1 Elements and Free, so I don't think you'd have to go back and take the Passport. Unless NISA has lost the plot since then, which wouldn't surprise me.

Thin-Ice
12-21-2007, 04:06 AM
If you were nearly ready for prelim you should be able to come back and do level 1 moves without too much effort and level 1 compulsory dance easily.

At that stage they're only looking for an ability to stand up straight and bend your knee and not cower at the oger sitting in the judging box.

I don't know about the levels.. but I LOOOVVVEEEEE this description! :lol: :lol: I may print it out and give it to the coaches of our pre-preliminary skaters just before the kids test, so they might also get a giggle out of it. (But only if "the ogre" they would be facing would be me. As someone who still tests and competes, I don't want to upset any other ogres, er, uhm, judges.)