View Full Version : i think my coach has gone crazy!

ibreakhearts66
12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
so i'm in my lesson. we're doing double loops, and i am overrotating them HORRIBLY.

well, after a double-and-a-half loop, i said "let's just skip doubles, go straight to triples!" totally kidding, right? well, next thing i know she says "I want you to do the triple from a 3-turn entrance." totally kidding, right? WRONG! she really wanted me to try triple loop!

i tried. it didn't go all too well. i think my double loop attempts are closer to triples because i freak out and the thought of a triple and do all sorts of strange things, but i can't believe the thinks I can start triples!

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!

Sessy
12-15-2007, 01:56 PM
LOL actually I remember you wrote somewhere that you over-rotated some jumps horribly and that's what I thought at the time - "maybe she should try them triple instead". LOL.
I dunno in a strange way it makes sense. :mrgreen:

ibreakhearts66
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
yeah i mean, i guess on some level i realize that i may actually be ready for a triple loop-i always get comments on how high and big my double is. but it was just like...ME? a TRIPLE?

man, but this makes it even harder to face the fact that i'm gonna be off the ice for hip surgery

Sessy
12-15-2007, 02:57 PM
LOL, yeah I know that feeling... I was SO near landing my axel before the ankle took me out... And now the rest of the class has learned everything I could do except the lutz and I'm still nowhere near ready to jump...
I know how you feel... But you've gotta do it or else you won't get better right? Try thinking long-term. Besides even after the hip surgery you probably will get it back in no-time anyway, since you'll have a healthy hip to practice on, instead of an ill one, right? Even if you loose some stregnth, you'll be doing a double loop instead of a triple one. That's still progress ;)

sk8rxforxlife
12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
she must think that you are ready for that jump. just give it time and see how it goes.

jskater49
12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
My dd had a coach that tried getting her to do a triple sal when she was over-rotating her double. It didn't work out too well and she ended up with another coach who fixed her double. She's still not doing triples.

j

stardust skies
12-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Trying to get a skater to do a triple just because they're over-rotating a double is basically the worst idea ever. You are over-rotating not because you are ready for a triple, but because you have bad technique on your double. If you have bad technique on a double, how in the hell are you supposed to do a triple? All that is going to happen, especially for a triple loop (because it's harder on the body) is that you are going to risk seriously injuring yourself.

You're over-rotating, most likely, because your arms are in the wrong place...either you are opening up your arms too soon, or you're not checking your shoulders. Regardless, it's a flaw in technique on the double- no one should move onto triples if they aren't doing correct doubles.

I mean, when you see elite skaters who do triples every single day jump doubles, they don't over-rotate them. Why? Because they have good technique. Please don't let your coach make you believe that over-rotation means something good in any way. If you were ready for a triple loop, you could do a clean, non over-rotated double loop.

I have no idea wtf your coach is thinking, but if I were you I would confront them about it and switch if they did not admit to being insane.

ibreakhearts66
12-17-2007, 03:06 AM
should have been more clear...i can land consistent, clean 2loops on a regular basis. i started overrotating as i added more speed and height to the jump as i still pull in too tight sometimes. i guess i really am ready to start working on the triple, because there is no way my coach would have me do anything i'm not ready for. i guess it is more appropriate to say that it i find it crazy that i CAN be working on triple loops!

vesperholly
12-17-2007, 03:44 AM
should have been more clear...i can land consistent, clean 2loops on a regular basis. i started overrotating as i added more speed and height to the jump as i still pull in too tight sometimes.
Well, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have a clean, consistent axel, and I overrotate it sometimes. That does NOT mean I am ready for a double axel by any stretch of the imagination. It's usually because I'm overdoing the takeoff, or pulling my shoulders around too early.

Weird things happen to jumps when you add speed. I find that it usually means your technique is still a little shaky.

stardust skies
12-18-2007, 10:55 AM
should have been more clear...i can land consistent, clean 2loops on a regular basis. i started overrotating as i added more speed and height to the jump as i still pull in too tight sometimes. i guess i really am ready to start working on the triple, because there is no way my coach would have me do anything i'm not ready for. i guess it is more appropriate to say that it i find it crazy that i CAN be working on triple loops!

You were plenty clear. You had clean jumps, but now you have a problem with the technique which causes you to over rotate them. Speed will most definitely do that to a jump- if you start to have problems with a jump as you add speed, it's, as Vesperholly said, because the technique isn't that good yet. What is easily done at low speed takes MUCH more control at high speeds. The fact that you're over-rotating proves you do not have that control. And to do a triple, you must do it at high speeds, so if you can't control a double at high speed, doing a triple is irresponsible. Again, you have a PROBLEM with your double, this is not a sign that you're ready for a triple. When you're ready for a triple you will be able to land clean double loops *without* over-rotation- actually, when you're ready for triples you'll be able to land clean 2loop-2loop combination with a backspin at the end and checking out cleanly. You should also be able to do a clean double loop from a backspin, jumping up and rotating twice before exiting the spin.

Over-rotating is probably one of the worst things you can do, because it means your body is in the *wrong* position in the air. Just because your 2loops were clean before doesn't mean that over-rotation is a "progression". Many of us have had clean jumps at one time and suddenly developed a problem with them- it just means you went backwards, like all skaters do at some point.

I'm not trying to insult your coach, I'm just saying...over-rotating is a serious flaw in your jump, and you should fix it before moving onto anything else, because if you can't land a clean double (over-rotating means it's not clean) then there's no point doing a triple because being that you're in the wrong position in the air and aren't checking your shoulders, you will never rotate a clean triple until your double is fixed, anyway.

I know you don't believe me because it isn't what you want to hear, and what you do is your own business, but I'm not about to say "good for you" when you're risking a serious injury.

With that said, I don't know if your signature is old, in which case I'm sorry for the mistake, but...if your coach thinks you can do a triple loop with the blades you are wearing but is saying that you need "bigger toepicks" for a double flip and double lutz, well, um, something's wrong. What blade do you have, anyway? I don't know any blade that could take someone through a triple loop but not a double flip.

DallasSkater
12-20-2007, 09:50 PM
ibreakhearts: I am thrilled for you! What a wonderful validation from your coach. Even if it only plants the seed of confidence that a triple may one day be possible for you, it was still a thrilling comment coming from your coach! After all, she was the one standing there witnessing! Congrats to you that you are doing doubles!!! It is a matter of time and practice. But no doubt you know that all too well given your current level of accomplishment! Success and happiness in your skating...and in your recovery!