View Full Version : What is the temperature at your rink?

Tiara
12-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm just wondering what the temperature is like at the rink you skate at? My rink is usually about 40 degrees. I have been wearing an undershirt, long sleve shirt, and tightfitting jacket and pants. Brrrr. It makes it hard to practice for the first few minutes until I get warmed up. And for group lessons.....forget it. I'm shivering the whole time because there is not alot of heavy skating KWIM?

Tiara

Rusty Blades
12-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I suspect our rink is about 0F (-20C) for the 7 a.m. session, though I haven't taken a thermometer (yet). Of course it was -29F (-34C) outside this morning - they really don't need to be running the refrigeration plant at all until April!

Tiara
12-14-2007, 12:42 PM
LOL. Yes in the morning my rink is definetly below frezing! I suspect its right around 30 degrees.

Tiara

mikawendy
12-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't know the specific temperature of the rinks I skate at, but lately, it's been positively FRIGID at one of them.

Whenever I know I'm going to have to skate at a cold rink or stand around a lot, I layer up. For me, it helps to have at least 1 pair extra leggings beyond the leggings+tights that I do wear, and then extra shirt layers. Sometimes, I'll layer on a few tank tops under my longsleeve fleece so that I have extra warmth but can move my arms.

When you can, make sure the layer touching your skin is synthetic material, as cotton does not wick away sweat, which can become cold on your skin.

blackmanskating
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
I guess my rink is about 45 degrees on average. It pushes 55 degrees in the summertime. On a really cold winter morning it can get frigid, but it's never as cold as it is outside. Pretty soon, I'm sweating and I hardly notice the cold. UnderArmor is my best friend. 8-) I feel really bad for ladies that have to skate in just those stockings. There is no way those things keep you warm. I see ladies putting on this huge colored socks over their legs too. I have no clue what they are called.

BlackManSkating

Skittl1321
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I see ladies putting on this huge colored socks over their legs too. I have no clue what they are called.

This made me laugh. You are probably talking about "leg warmers"

Skittl1321
12-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't know what the temperature in our rink is, but it varies with the weather. It is probably warmer than most, because we are in a mall.

I almost always wear a fleece jacket over whatever I am skating in, but one pair of tights is enough to keep my legs warm if I am moving. I think the fleece is more a comfort thing, and a t-shirt would be okay most of the time.

When I teach I usually teach in lined athletic pants, and my fleece jacket. Sometimes that's too warm, and I take the jacket off (wearing a short sleeve shirt).

This week has been very cold, though.

Sessy
12-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Varies between 9 and 16 degrees centigrade: that's 48 to 60 F
I wear two pair of tights, but often a tank top, I can't train in anything with sleeves because it's too hot, but I can't train in less than two pairs of tights because then my bum freezes regardless of how much jumping I'm doing.

I'm really curious what will happen to our rink btw if the current temperature trend continues. As it's looking right now, we might actually get below freezing this winter for lengths of time and our rink does not have a heating system, except a few tiny once in the dressing rooms.
At the very least, lately the temperature has plunged to below anything I've ever seen it be. Everybody's suddenly skating in jackets.

Kim to the Max
12-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Here the rink I skate at most often is pretty gosh darn cold...it's mainly a hockey rink and they have no mercy for the figure skaters...I often find my toes very cold in my boots and my face freezing :( I had gotten into the habit previously of skating without gloves, however, I have gotten BACK into that habit because of this rink...

The other rink I skate at is also pretty cold :( however, if I'm working hard there, I do need to take off my sweatshirt...

When I was in Milwaukee, two of the rinks I skated at LOVED figure skaters and both had pretty warm temps, the third we skated at was also a hockey rink (with the ice to match), so there was no hope of being warm there...

GordonSk8erBoi
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I suspect our rink is about 0F (-20C) for the 7 a.m. session, though I haven't taken a thermometer (yet). Of course it was -29F (-34C) outside this morning - they really don't need to be running the refrigeration plant at all until April!

HOLY COW!

I'll stop whining right now.

Ours is usually 42 - 46 degrees F.

doubletoe
12-14-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm kind of glad I don't know, but I think this morning was the coldest morning we've had so far this year and it was NOT fun having to test in a skirt! :(

jazzpants
12-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Rusty Blades... good LORD!!! That is C-C-C-COLD!!!! 8O :giveup:

doubletoe: Ignorance is bliss in this case. (But FWIW, I do know that sometimes my home rink is WARMER than the outside!!! :twisted: )

Rusty Blades
12-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Rusty Blades... good LORD!!! That is C-C-C-COLD!!!! 8O :giveup:

Damned right! But it can be worse 8O A couple of times, in different rinks, it has been so cold that I could not warm-up - I'd do off-ice warm-up, hit the ice and stiffen up even with longjohns, runner's winter pants (fleece lined), an insulated vest, a jacket, and a winter coat! I'd love to wear a dress more often but my chattering teeth would drowned out the music :evil:

(No wonder I love summer skating so much!)

kander
12-14-2007, 10:55 PM
I think it's somewhere near the liquid temperature of helium 8O

sk8rxforxlife
12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
R rink is totally cold too. It is so ridiculous.

I'm just wondering what the temperature is like at the rink you skate at? My rink is usually about 40 degrees. I have been wearing an undershirt, long sleve shirt, and tightfitting jacket and pants. Brrrr. It makes it hard to practice for the first few minutes until I get warmed up. And for group lessons.....forget it. I'm shivering the whole time because there is not alot of heavy skating KWIM?

Tiara

SkatingOnClouds
12-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Well it's summer down here in the Southern Hemisphere. Temperatures outside are in the mid 20s celsius, and doesn't feel a lot cooler inside. so the ice is starting to get wet and a bit slushy by midday, even with only about a dozen people on it.

I skate in a t-shirt and lightweight synthetic pants all year round, only wearing a lightweight jacket to warm up, usually. I get hot easily though.

Worse I've seen it was last year at our artistic comp, it was 30+ degrees celsius that day, not much cooler that night, and the rink was a swimming pool! I reckon there was at least 2 inches of water on the surface. Honestly, I did a front t-stop(show stop?) and it created a wave! So hard to get a secure edge when it's like that.

kimberley801
12-15-2007, 01:45 AM
I don't know the exact temperature, but it's warmer than it is outside!!! It's in the 20's outside (farenheight).

I wear one pair of skating tights and typically athletic/dance pants, with a T-shirt and Fleece jacket/pullover. I then skate in the t-shirt once warmed up.

Ice Dancer
12-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Freezing! That's the only word for it. In summer when you step outside it is like stepping off a plane in a hot holiday resort and before now my glasses have steamed up! It's generally not too bad when you are skating, but if you stop for a chat or you are sat watching a show or something you really do notice it. In the mornings, skater mums often take in sleeping bags and blankets to keep them warm while their kids skate!

Mrs Redboots
12-15-2007, 06:37 AM
My daughter once said that you knew when it was winter, as stepping into the rink felt warm! As it has done here for the last few days..... still need fleeces and gloves, though. In the summer, just sometimes, one can skate in a T-shirt.

russiet
12-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Let's see...the current outdoor temperature is 10 deg F.

The inside rink will be between 10 to 15 deg F. Maybe 20.

There is no insulation on the metal walls. It used to be open sided until the mid-90s.

It makes for hard ice.

Isk8NYC
12-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Our rink will probably change once they finish construction (and add insulation, I hope) but my little keytag thermometer said it was about 55 degrees Fahrenheit last week. Our weather temps were in the 70-80 degree range.

Jeanne D
12-15-2007, 08:34 AM
The rinks are so cold in my area that I've quit skating Dec-Feb. I find it's warmer to skate outdoors on a sunny day.

sue123
12-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't know the exact temp, but it's cold! Especially if the zamboni door is open and the cold air comes in. Brrr.... On the cold days, I'm in a headband that covers my ears, 2 pairs of gloves, thick tights with fleece lined pants, tee shirt, long sleeved shirt, and a fleece, and gloves. Then again, I also get cold easily.

But it's only been that cold a couple times, I don't get to go often, so usually I go on the milder days since it hasn't been too cold in NY yet.

aussieskater
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
In the summer, just sometimes, one can skate in a T-shirt.

I'm in Sydney and rarely skate in anything else, else I steam ... for about 8 weeks in mid-winter, the T-shirt has 3/4 sleeves (my concession to winter)...:D :D (In winter, I do start with a warm-up fleece, which still comes off pretty quickly.)

I asked the rink manager what temp he tries to keep the ice etc ("trying" being the operative word what with the very inconsistent aircon and dehumidifier he has to work with), and he told me he tries to keep the ice at -7C and the air above it at no more than 5% humidity. He's an ex-ice dancer so when he's around, the ice is usually pretty nice!

Morgail
12-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I have no idea what temp it is in the rink:) One of the ice surfaces at one rink is warmer, while the other ice surface (the one meant for hockey) is usually coldery. At the other rink, it just depends on the outside weather and the time. Today it was so cold I had to wear my huge parka-looking coat while I warmed up, and my toes were so numb that I couldn't feel the bottoms of my skates. brrrrrrr...

BatikatII
12-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Our rink has the reputation of being the warmest in the UK and it's probably true. Some days you can skate around and find warm air blowing down on you and sometimes it is too hot to skate well. Most serious skaters skate in short sleeve or sleeveless dresses or t shirts, although I often start off with a cotton jacket over the top. The coaches do have insulated jackets because they are standing around a lot but if you are moving and training it is often too hot.

I'm not sure how the hockey team survives but maybe it's a ploy to put off visiting teams that expire from the heat!:lol:

I was once told that it is always warm because the rink manager likes to be warm and for some reason it appears you cant' turn up the heat in the managers office without turning it up everywhere! It must cost them a fortune!

Sessy
12-16-2007, 05:23 AM
they'd be cheaper off using an electrical heater in the office.

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Some days you can skate around and find warm air blowing down on you and sometimes it is too hot to skate well.I know; last time we competed there, several of us were rather thrown by blasts of hot air greeting us when we got on to the ice! Most strange and slightly off-putting.

The other warm rink in the area is apparently no longer so - something has gone wrong with the heating, so I am told, and you freeze there just like you do everywhere else! The skaters, who are used to skating in T-shirts, were grumbling away....

Bazhena
12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
It's 9 degree Celsius (48.2 F) at my rink. I usually wear a T-shirt and a sweater. At first, it's rather chilly, but after some stroking it gets OK.

Helen88
12-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't have a clue TBH...but my mum (who spends MANY an hour sitting the stands, freezing her **se off,) tells me it's about 10 C. I usually wear a T-shirt and a fleece - the fleece normally comes off, but the gloves never do, as I have TERRIBLE circulation lol.