View Full Version : Who wears skating skirts and dresses?

Tiara
12-12-2007, 11:01 PM
At my rink, all of the girls under about 16 wear skating skirts and dresses for practice/freestyle/public sessions . I haven't seen any adults wearing those cute outfits though! I want to wear them too! LOL! I just wanted to see what the norm was for adults, and what you ladies wear for practice, and freestyle sessions. I have been wearing stretchy jeans and a sweatshirt, but I'm getting tired of being so frumpy when the kids are running around looking so cute!

Tiara

abbi_1990
12-13-2007, 03:09 AM
at my rink on a thursday morning - when most of the adult skaters have their lessons, nearly all of the adult ladies are wearing tights and skating dresses or skirts. some of them wear ones much shorter than i would and im 17 lol.

Sessy
12-13-2007, 04:04 AM
I do wear dresses, but not always. Often I go after class and then I just put on a kind of jeans which is *very* stretch with skating tights underneath. Of the dresses I wear, one is streetclothing with hotpants under it (in fact it is so streetclothing that with a jacket on top I can wear it to class at university as a miniskirt), two I made myself.
Oh yeah this whole leggins-with-miniskirt-on-top fashion for street clothing that we have here does seem to be a favourite for beginners skating too.

liz_on_ice
12-13-2007, 05:00 AM
At my rink, all of the girls under about 16 wear skating skirts and dresses for practice/freestyle/public sessions . I haven't seen any adults wearing those cute outfits though! I want to wear them too! LOL! I just wanted to see what the norm was for adults, and what you ladies wear for practice, and freestyle sessions. I have been wearing stretchy jeans and a sweatshirt, but I'm getting tired of being so frumpy when the kids are running around looking so cute!

Tiara

Mee mee mee :mrgreen:

Not when it's really cold, but I have a black box skirt I wear over tights, and random stretchy colored tops with it. That's for freestyles though, and the adult night public session, regular public sessions I do in stretchy exercise clothes.

I've also got a plain green velvet practice dress, it's a bit of a pain to change in and out of in a hurry (or go to the bathroom in) but Rockefeller Center, especially with the tree lit, is too pretty not to dress up for.

kayskate
12-13-2007, 05:02 AM
I skate in mostly cold rinks and wear fleece tops and fleece-lined leggings. I am 41 and not petite. I see very few adults in cute little outfits. However, the women who are smaller seem more likely to wear tights, leotards and skirts. That has been my observation anyway. For me it's all about warmth, comfort, and practicality.

Kay

liz_on_ice
12-13-2007, 05:15 AM
I skate in mostly cold rinks and wear fleece tops and fleece-lined leggings. I am 41 and not petite. I see very few adults in cute little outfits. However, the women who are smaller seem more likely to wear tights, leotards and skirts. That has been my observation anyway. For me it's all about warmth, comfort, and practicality.

Kay

well yes, that too. I should add when I'm learning new stuff I wear lots of padding, which looks pretty dorky under a skirt so I don't do it. :roll:

aussieskater
12-13-2007, 05:17 AM
When I'm having a lesson I wear a knit top (think T-shirt) over a skirt and tights as Coach has asked me to (it's easier to see the non-straight knee etc). When I'm practising, I nearly always wear the same kind of top over black stretch pants (nobody there to yell at me for not straightening my knee or pointing my toe!)

Scarlett
12-13-2007, 05:23 AM
I would like to say to each is own and to wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. At the rink I currently skate at, you will see adults in everything. Personally, I hate skating dresses/skirts and usually skate in running tights or fleece leggings with a an underarmour shirt and a fitted fleece jacket. Basically I borrow a lot from cold weather running gear. That way my coach can see my line and I'm not getting my blade caught on bagging clothing yet I can avoid skating in a skirt.

littlekateskate
12-13-2007, 06:18 AM
we have an adult only time at our mall rink for two hours 3 days aweek. These ladies are all about 50lbs over weight and in there 60s and they all still wear dresses! GO FOR IT

Clarice
12-13-2007, 06:28 AM
I always practice in leggings and a t-shirt or tank top, unless I'm getting ready for a competiton or performance and need to get used to a dress again. Then again, at my rink the culture is that "serious skaters" wear leggings. Only the younger girls wear dresses all the time. No reason why an adult can't wear a skirt/dress, though! Lots of people say it makes them feel more like a "real skater". If you want to do it, go for it!

SynchroSk8r114
12-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm 22, but seriously look 16 years old, so I guess I can pull off the dress/skirt thing pretty well.

Because most everyone at my rink wears skirts/dresses for practice, as well as leggings or stretchy yoga pants, that's usually what I wear depending on my mood. Or the weather, LOL! If it's colder, I usually go for the pants and several sweatshirts/t-shirts that I can layer, and a skirt or dress for warmer days or when the mood strikes me.

As a young skater, I was never allowed to wear pants. My old coach though dresses/skirts just looked more professional, so I've kind of kept that mentality even as I've gotten older. Now, however, I think that you can still look professional with a nice pair of skating pants and form fitting top.

littlekateskate
12-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree. At our rink. The serious skaters only wear leggings or tight fitting exercise clothes

Skittl1321
12-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Dresses are very common at our rink. All the serious skaters wear dresses or skirts most of the time. It is rare to see them in leggings. Of course the "serious skaters" at our rink, are not the high level that you see at other rinks. We certainly don't have any senior level skaters, but the girl working on her junior MITF wears a dress everyweek, as do all the other older girls. (Young girls in dresses is a given)

My coach likes for me to wear a dress, so I do when I take a lesson. When I skate on my own I wear lined athletic pants. I believe I am the only adult to wear a dress on a regular basis- though others do.

Honestly- this is an issue of "how much do I care what others think" If YOU want to wear a dress to ice skate- wear a dress to ice skate! If you want to color your ice skates yellow with green polka dots- then do it! It doesn't matter what other people are doing. You might get funny looks- but people will always find something to give you a funny look over.

If a dress increases your enjoyment- wear a dress, and enjoy skating.
(When I first started going to freestyle, a friend would also go- we'd do "i'll wear a skirt, if you wear a skirt" it did increase the comfort factor)

Thin-Ice
12-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm no rail-thin teenager. I'm in age class IV (46+) and 5' 8" tall with an "at least appropriate weight" as my doctor calls it. And I always wear skating dresses. That way my brain doesn't freak out about THAT difference when I test or compete. At the two rinks where I normally skate and that are two very different skating cultures, there's a little of everything: young kids in pants, higher level girls wearing dresses, yoga pants on boys and girls up through late teens, adults wearing dresses and stretchy pants. The only thing I don't see is anyone wearing anything baggy, since it's all about the coaches seeing the lines of your body. Wear what you want and enjoy it!

liz_on_ice
12-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I always wear skating dresses. That way my brain doesn't freak out about THAT difference when I test or compete. At the two rinks I normally skate in, there's a little of everything -- and they're very different cultures --.. young kids in pants, higher level girls wearing dresses, yoga pants on boys and girls up through late teens, adults wearing dresses... the only thing I don't see is anyone wearing anything baggy.. since it's all about the coaches seeing the lines of your body. Wear what you want and enjoy it!

The serious adults where I skate wear pants too. I'm just dress deprived since I never had one (or lessons) as a kid. I'm not letting embarrassment get in the way of indulging my inner child.

NickiT
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I always train in tights and a dress. Our rink is one of the warmest in the UK and I also feel more comfortable in the proper attire. My former coach was pretty into her skaters wearing tights so she could get an easier view of the line. I just don't think about it.

Nicki

Morgail
12-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I do about half the time. I started wearing skirts a lot this summer - I got tired of ripping up my pant legs with my blades :roll: But now that it's cold, I'm wearing the pants again.

I'd guess that about half of the adult women I skate with (and also about half of the older girls) wear skirts or dresses. The ones who do wear skirts/dresses are of all ages and sizes.

I felt self-conscious the first time I wore a skirt to skate in as an adult, but after that one time, I was fine. No one will stare at you - unless you're the only figure skater on a crowded public session:) I always feel more polished and "serious" when I wear a skirt. Give it a try if you want to:)

double3s
12-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I do. I am not young and I am not petite; I am 40 and about a size 14/16. I usually wear very thick tights or snug leggings under a longer dance skirt and a long sleeved T shirt or a wrap top. It looks good, is flattering and appropriate, and helps me feel like "a real figure skater" without trying to squeeze my jiggly bits into some obscenely short and tight little sparkly number designed for a 98 lb teenager. Most of my skating clothes are not "real" skating clothing, but stretchy things I've co-opted or altered from regular clothing.

doubletoe
12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
At my rink, some of the adult ladies wear leggings and others wear skirts. There is no correlation between skating apparel and body type; those who like skirts wear skirts and those who like leggings wear leggings. . . and nobody notices or cares who is wearing what. :)

sk8_4fun
12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
I do. I am not young and I am not petite; I am 40 and about a size 14/16. I usually wear very thick tights or snug leggings under a longer dance skirt and a long sleeved T shirt or a wrap top. It looks good, is flattering and appropriate, and helps me feel like "a real figure skater" without trying to squeeze my jiggly bits into some obscenely short and tight little sparkly number designed for a 98 lb teenager. Most of my skating clothes are not "real" skating clothing, but stretchy things I've co-opted or altered from regular clothing.

Ditto the above. I wear leggings with a chiffon skirt and a wrap top or polo neck sweater. I sometimes wear tights and a skirt depending on how cold it is.

jskater49
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
At my rink, some of the adult ladies wear leggings and others wear skirts. There is no correlation between skating apparel and body type; those who like skirts wear skirts and those who like leggings wear leggings. . . and nobody notices or cares who is wearing what. :)

Nor is there a correlation between what you where and how "serious" a skater you are. I skate on club ice and anyone who pays that kind of money for ice time is serious as far as I'm concerned.

I like to wear a dress but I live in Iowa and it's freezing cold now so I wear pants.

j

wasabi
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I wear pants (or rather, running tights), but that's a personal preference. I wore dresses from about age 6 to age 17. I definitely say wear what you want!

peanutskates
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
i'm 14. when I started skating, I wore pants. After a few sessions, I built up the nerve to wear a skirt (some of you may remember all the worry I had over that! but i had very unsupportive 'friends' at the rink) with leggings.
After LTS, I wore a skirt with 2 pairs of normal tights.
A month or so ago, I bought skating tights, so now I wear a skirt and those tights. I also wear hotpants sometimes (esp. when I know I'm likely to fall lots, or I'm planning a session dedicated to sitspins/catchfoot spirals (I once tore a skirt doing catchfoots))
I have no skating dresses. yet...

I'd say wear what's comfy and shows your body line... but you have to get over the mental fear (if you have it). really, no one is going to be looking at you or saying "omg she's too old to wear a dress". if you are scared of wearing it, try wearing it at a more relaxed public session, where you feel less pressure.

CaraSkates
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I skate early morning sessions at a cold rink so now that it is winter and cold here in the northeast USA I usually wear tights (2 pair) and leggings. I like to wear longsleeve t-shirts (either stretchy ones or my competition not as fitted ones) and a fleece top (usually Old Navy) on my top half. I also usually wear an earband (fleece ear warmer) and then I am nice and warm.

On the Friday afternoon session I'm more likely to wear tights (footed and OTB) and a dress. It's just easier to wear the pants early in the morning :)
Oh and I'm a just turned 18 year old girl whos a curvy size 8ish so I'm not a teeny little thing.

Rusty Blades
12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I actually prefer to wear dresses - am I 58 and a bit plump but still have the legs for it :mrgreen: Almost all the younger competitive skaters on our early morning session wear dresses but I just find it too cold most of the time and wear stretchy pants (with longjohns under!).

The first time I wore a skating dress most of the young girls commented "What a nice dress!". My coach (a 32 year old woman) whistled and said "Nice pins! I hope I still have legs like that when I am your age!" I THINK that was a compliment :roll:

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree. At our rink. The serious skaters only wear leggings or tight fitting exercise clothes

Here, that's the serious free skaters; the ice dancers tend to wear practice-skirts and tights, but there are no hard-and-fast rules. I wear jogging bottoms when it's cold or when we aren't working on a free dance - if I am to be lifted, I'd rather wear a practice-skirt.

But it varies....

SkaterBird
12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I am 48, closing rapidly on 49, and decidedly curvy (as in, not slender). I wear tights and sweater leggings for warmth, a leotard or sweater, and a dance wrap skirt. That looks nice enough on me, and I don't catch my blade on my pants the way I used to do when I wore sweat pants.

Stormy
12-13-2007, 10:34 PM
The ONLY way you will EVER catch me in a skating dress is if I am competing or testing. I hate them, LOL. :) I always wear black yoga or under armour pants and a long sleeve shirt and a performance fleece turtleneck from Old Navy.

jazzpants
12-14-2007, 01:50 AM
The ONLY way you will EVER catch me in a skating dress is if I am competing or testing. I hate them, LOL. :) I always wear black yoga or under armour pants and a long sleeve shirt and a performance fleece turtleneck from Old Navy.A girl after my own heart in how to dress for practice vs. at tests and competitions!!! :mrgreen: :bow: :mrgreen: :bow: :mrgreen:

Sessy
12-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Well I did at first too, until I found out not *all* skirt types made me look like an oversized chubby 3 year old.

vesperholly
12-14-2007, 04:51 AM
I used to wear dresses exclusively until I lost a bunch of weight and they were all too big - what a shame! :mrgreen: I always felt like the skirt slimmed my big butt down, or at least mostly hid it.

Now I practice in stretchy PJ pants from Target, but every once in a while I'll break out the leotard/wrap skirt combo. I wear two pairs of thin tights (can't stand the thick-knit ones) when I do that. I did it for a few days last week to get used to a dress again for my tests, and I forgot how 1. my legs get REALLY cold and 2. it's a much bigger production to go to the bathroom. :P

NickiT
12-14-2007, 05:27 AM
I always felt like the skirt slimmed my big butt down, or at least mostly hid it.

Yes exactly! Another reason for hiding my butt in a skirt rather than wearing pants!

Nicki

Isk8NYC
12-14-2007, 07:48 AM
I usually wear "jazz pants" under a pair of loose-fitting ski pants and a turtleneck over a t-shirt. The ski pants help keep my old knees warm and moving, and give me a bit of protection if I take a fall. I just wore tight-fitted stretch pants with a long sweater for my tests. (Think ski sweater.)

I haven't worn a skirt in years, even in the Show pro numbers -- we always had pants. (Although some of the pants were ...ahem... vertically challenged and wouldn't stay up!)

Kim to the Max
12-14-2007, 08:21 AM
When I was younger, I work skirts/dresses all the time. That was the norm at my rink. Now that I'm getting back into skating, I didn't want to spend the $$ on buying all new skating gear, so I have been wearing running tights, which a lot of folks at my rink wear (minus the little girls). I skate at a VERY cold rink, so many of us wear under armour for warmth, along with many layers...

I do have a skirt that I bought (it was on sale) but I haven't gotten up the nerve to wear it yet (I'm looking to lose a bit more weight before I take that plunge! I'm currently 20lbs down from where I started). I'm also testing soon, so I purchased a dress, so I guess I'm going to have to get used to wearing a skirt/dress at some point before the end of February!!

jskater49
12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
This summer I bought a s spandax skirt with shorts attached from Target. I wore that a lot in the summer. In the winter, it's just too cold. I also have a unitard that I usually wear a skirt with although there have been times when I've thrown caution to the wind and worn it without a skirt. (at the early am session when there are only teenage girls)

j

Tiara
12-14-2007, 12:15 PM
It looks like jumping right in to skirt wearing is probably the way to go for me! I will have to wear some thick tights though. The rink is FREEZING! Where do you ladies buy your skirts/over the boot tights? and also, where do you buy your knitted tights?

Tiara

mikawendy
12-14-2007, 12:33 PM
The ONLY way you will EVER catch me in a skating dress is if I am competing or testing. I hate them, LOL. :) I always wear black yoga or under armour pants and a long sleeve shirt and a performance fleece turtleneck from Old Navy.

But the skating dress I saw you in at AN was fabu! (And it was a great color choice if I do say so myself ;) )

Skittl1321
12-14-2007, 01:58 PM
It looks like jumping right in to skirt wearing is probably the way to go for me! I will have to wear some thick tights though. The rink is FREEZING! Where do you ladies buy your skirts/over the boot tights? and also, where do you buy your knitted tights?

Tiara

I don't wear knit tights- but if I'm really cold I wear 2 pairs.

For practice I got Capezio black footless tights at www.dancefactoryoutlet.com they were on sale for $1 per pair- cannot be beat. They do have a bit of a sheen, which doesn't bother me. I wouldn't call them shiny.

My OTB tights came from Rainbosports.com-
I got Danskin and they fit comfortably, but you have to sew the hook and eye on yourself. They are thin, and would not provide a lot of warmth.

I have a pair of Mondor stirrup tights that are the thickest tights I own- very warm. Mondor seems to run much smaller Capezio or Danskin.

For dresses and skirts- thus far I've done ebay. I got a great deal on a Body Wrappers dress- only $30, and some good deals on skirts. I also lucked into buying used at the rink- and got a bag of 5 assorted skirts and dresses for $60- from that bag 2 dresses fit me, 2 skirts fit me, and 1 dress doesn't. It was a good deal. Main street dancewear seems to have inexpensive dresses- and those are on my christmas list now. I'd really like to get some flat skirts- as mine are all circle skirts, but I'm just too cheap to buy new.

Checkout rainbosports and tidewaterice.com for some more dresses- they just get so pricey!

Scarlett
12-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Even though I'm a pants wearer, I'm always in tights. I skate in Mondor tights. For testing, I wear the regular Mondor tights and then a pair of OTB tights. If I need to buy multiple pair, I hit the internet. If I just need a pair or two, I will go to the local pro shop. Just a heads up, if you are not of caucasian descent you will not find tights to actually match your leg color.

Brittany741
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Jessi, for the link to the outlet. I just scored a few pairs of footless tights for $2.00 each!

Brittany

SkaterBird
12-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Mondor makes a nice pair of footless sweater tights - they're a rib-knit 80% acrylic/20% nylon blend that are warm and also durable. I absolutely love them. Dance Distributors (www.dancedistributors.com) sells a fairly inexpensive plus-size georgette wrap-style dance skirt in black, 18" long, that I wear with a black leotard or sweater. They also have other dance skirts that are suitable for skating and don't require one to weigh 98 pounds or less with skates on.

Ice Dancer
12-15-2007, 06:30 AM
I go for skirts too. Originally I only wore them for evening private lessons, as the thought of putting it on for my then group lesson wasn't very attractive! When I swapped the group lesson for an early morning private it took me a while to actually want to put the thing on at 4am, however now I hate skating in anything else.

I get OTB tights from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVER-THE-BOOT-TIGHTS-4-ICE-SKATE-SKATING-ADULT-L-XL_W0QQitemZ120184919599QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4939QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are a good price, comfy, warm and you don't have to sew on the hooks yourself! My coach commented that they feel nice too and would be perfect for competitions.

ibreakhearts66
12-15-2007, 02:15 PM

Tiara

I have been known to wear 5 or 6 pairs of tights at once---when i used to where footed tights i would wear 2 pairs footed, 2 pairs OTB (but not necessarily pull them over the boot) and the knitted sweater tights. now that i skate barefoot i have done 3 pairs OTB and 1 pair knitted. Sometimes a pair of footless tights underneath.

as for where i buy my tights--just various proshops. http://www.skate-mart.com/catalog/tights1.shtml carries a variety of tights. i love my mondor knitted tights

Skittl1321
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I have been known to wear 5 or 6 pairs of tights at once---

WOW! How do you move? I find that when I have to wear 2 pairs it constricts my movement!

Ice Dancer
12-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I have been known to wear 5 or 6 pairs of tights at once

It must take you ages to have a pee ;) I struggle with one pair of tights, skirt and control pants when wearing skates!

Rusty Blades
12-16-2007, 04:33 PM
It must take you ages to have a pee ;) I struggle with one pair of tights, skirt and control pants when wearing skates!

Yes, and add a skating dress on top of that and you have to get nikkid to your knees to go pee! :roll:

stardust skies
12-16-2007, 04:43 PM

It's the same at most rinks. The little kids wear the big fluffy dresses, and the serious skaters wear leggings and a work out top, unless it's close to testing/competition day in which case they might wear a dress as practice to get "used" to it. I rarely see serious skaters wear practice dresses past 14-15 years old, though.

As far as the adults I see, it seems like the more recreational skaters wear the dresses, and the ones who compete and take it more seriously wear the leggings/sports top. So it's sort of the same thing at that level...dresses in general seem to be more about dressing up aka for people who do it for fun, while leggings and a top is just more practical and thus usually for people who intend on working harder.

It's definitely not true for ALL, but it's the trend I've always noticed.

aussieskater
12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
As far as the adults I see, it seems like the more recreational skaters wear the dresses, and the ones who compete and take it more seriously wear the leggings/sports top. So it's sort of the same thing at that level...dresses in general seem to be more about dressing up aka for people who do it for fun, while leggings and a top is just more practical and thus usually for people who intend on working harder.

It's definitely not true for ALL, but it's the trend I've always noticed.

Interesting observation and probably true to some extent at our rink too, except that the female dancers seem to always wear a skirt, especially if they're with their partner. Even the more advanced freestyle kids, who would normally wear pants or leggings, seem to wear a skirt when dancing (often straight over the leggings and sometimes over the axel pads as well - such a glamorous look!! :D ), especially if they're dancing with a male coach.

It might have something to do with the (rather silly) ISU rule that while female singles and pair skaters are finally allowed to wear pants, dancers are still required to wear a skirt all the time (except in this season's OD). As a result, maybe there's a real incentive to make sure that the brain knows that the skirt is the default way of dressing.

Sessy
12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, and add a skating dress on top of that and you have to get nikkid to your knees to go pee! :roll:

See that's why 2 of the 3 of my dresses have loose panties. And the next skating dress I'll make will have press buttons and a panty that opens.

You know what I like about a dress than leggins doesn't let me have? WARM KIDNEYS. Somehow it doesn't matter how long a t-shirt or a top is, I'll always manage to get it to crawl up to my ribs.

Sessy
12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
WOW! How do you move? I find that when I have to wear 2 pairs it constricts my movement!

Put on a larger size for the pair on top.

SkaterBird
12-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Interesting observation and probably true to some extent at our rink too, except that the female dancers seem to always wear a skirt, especially if they're with their partner. Even the more advanced freestyle kids, who would normally wear pants or leggings, seem to wear a skirt when dancing (often straight over the leggings and sometimes over the axel pads as well - such a glamorous look!! :D ), especially if they're dancing with a male coach.

It might have something to do with the (rather silly) ISU rule that while female singles and pair skaters are finally allowed to wear pants, dancers are still required to wear a skirt all the time (except in this season's OD). As a result, maybe there's a real incentive to make sure that the brain knows that the skirt is the default way of dressing.

At the rinks where I skate the attire is all over the map, even for advanced skaters. The younger skaters tend to wear dresses, but the adults are really varied - some wear skirts or dresses, others wear various types of sweat pants with tops and still others wear leggings and big tops. The female partner of the most advanced ice dance team always wears a skirt over tights or leggings. I won't touch tight stretch pants or leggings, simply because with my figure that would look ghastly on me. On the other hand, maybe Santa will bring me a home liposuction unit for Christmas, in which case anything goes.

Stormy
12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
But the skating dress I saw you in at AN was fabu! (And it was a great color choice if I do say so myself ;) )

Aw, thanks! I do love that dress. My coach's mother made it for me. :)

liya_skatergirl
12-19-2007, 06:03 AM
I usually train in a skirt now. I have around 4 skirts I use solely for figure skating. In our rink like the others, the really serious ones wear pants, while the others just wear skirts. But since our rink is mostly public (only durig evenings are freestylers allowed to use the rink), wearing a skirt is like a way of saying and warning them about the things we figure skaters usually do. haha

Tiara
12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow I never thought about that. On public sessions I bet people try to keep some distance since you look like you might bust out a spin or a jump! :D

Tiara

Helen88
12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
I usually train in a skirt now. I have around 4 skirts I use solely for figure skating. In our rink like the others, the really serious ones wear pants, while the others just wear skirts. But since our rink is mostly public (only durig evenings are freestylers allowed to use the rink), wearing a skirt is like a way of saying and warning them about the things we figure skaters usually do. haha

I must remember to try that...*remembers self glowering and hockey skaters who seem to attach themselves [with their steward friend!!] to the middle circle, despite the rules saying it's for figure skaters...*:twisted:

Seriously though, not many people wear skirts or dresses at our rink. Some of the little ones do (girls :P) - under sevens and such, and there's a few teenagers who wear skirts during patch, but I don't often see adults wearing them. That might however, be because I have my lesson during a public session (until after Christmas!! :D :D) and no sane adult would skate when school kids are there - unless they had too. I do see a few in leggings though - personally, as I'm not particularly advanced (and I seem to have put on a lot of weight in the last 3 months...), I just skate in jeans for the time being.

liya_skatergirl
12-20-2007, 07:08 PM
haha. it works most of the time. :)) plus the white skates. :))

sk8rxforxlife
12-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Most adults at our rink wear stretchy pants but not dresses.

Rusty Blades
12-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I tried my new Freeskate dress on the ice on Friday (http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/diannebest/Celtic2t.jpg) - competition isn't until February but I thought i should see if it needed any alterations but it's fine.

The one thing I hadn't really noticed (since I haven't skated in a dress in awhile) is that movement is freer even though my stretchy slacks didn't SEEM restricting. Have to figure out how to keep my legs from freezing and go back to a practice dress ....

ibreakhearts66
12-25-2007, 03:37 AM

spirals generally don't work too well if i'm wearing a ton of pairs, but other than that its not so bad. maybe its because they have so many holes? most of my tights are a total disaster.

ibreakhearts66
12-25-2007, 03:38 AM

haha and yes, going pee can be a work out all by itself lol

Morgail
12-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I tried my new Freeskate dress on the ice on Friday (http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/diannebest/Celtic2t.jpg) - competition isn't until February but I thought i should see if it needed any alterations but it's fine.

Beautiful dress! I love the color.

herniated
12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
In the summer, I usually skate in dresses because it is warmer and like the others have said I feel more like a skater! The less clothes the better I can move.:lol: In the winter I usually skate in unitards, tights underneath, and some kind of fitted black top. Under armour or some top from Target or Kohls. You get the picture.

I don't really like leggings or skirts (two pieces) it feels like the waist bands are cutting me in half.8O Eeeewwww.

Most of the adults where I am where some kind of stretch pants/leggings and fitted top. On a public session I never wear a dress. I feel stupid when I do that. Just my own personal feeling when I wear it at these times.

sue123
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I usually wear stretchy athletic pants. Sometimes, I wear longer shorts with tights if it's not too cold. I stay away from even semi loose pants after I tripped over them, and when I tried to get up, they kept getting caught in my blades making me fall again and again. It was like a comedy act watching me try to get up wit my blades stuck on my pants leg of the opposite leg :D