View Full Version : Boot stretching....how much bigger can they go?

amyvw
12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I've begun taking lessons again after a 12 year break and am currently trying to squash my feet into boots that are a full size/width too small (had some extreme foot growth/spread with my first pregnancy). I'm going to be getting fitted for new skates in the next couple of weeks. But as I'm in lessons now I need to do something with my current pair o' Harlicks to make them semi-workable until I have new skates on my (enormous) feet.

Guess I'm curious if I might be able to stretch out what I've got to fit temporarily? Was not sure if there was a limit to how much they could stretch the boots or not. I plan to take the boots with me for my fitting when I go so maybe they can do it then.

Thanks for any input. :)

doubletoe
12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
They say boots can be stretched half a size, but based on my experience with boots that were 1/2 width too narrow, I think that estimate may be a little generous.

amyvw
12-12-2007, 06:02 PM
They say boots can be stretched half a size, but based on my experience with boots that were 1/2 width too narrow, I think that estimate may be a little generous.

Thanks! I'll probably have them give them a stretch just so they are more comfy...even a half-size(or close to it) is going to be a big improvement over the extreme squashing my feet are going through right now.

Amy

Query
12-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I probably should stop responding to these, cuz I keep repeating myself.

(Surely a day's drive is worth it to save yourself from eternal torment.) If you live within your maximum tolerable driving distance of the factory, try them first. If not, and you can't afford to fly there, go to the best boot fitter in the area. They may do well enough that you don't need to futz around yourself. Either way, call for an appointment.

Different boot fitters have different equipment and knowledge. Some can punch out ankle and toe bones, but can't widen or vertically expand the boot, or can only do so in some places. Others can do more. If you are within driving distance of Maryland, I'll be happy to refer you to a couple of good ones.

Skating with a completely wet sock under tightly laced boats will stretch them a bit. Apply Lexol or equivalent stretching oil to soften and condition the leather afterwards, because water hardens and cracks leather.

A heat mold will help for at least a little while, if your boot is leather.

If it doesn't stretch enough, try replacing the insole with a very thin layer of leather or cardboard - the lowest part of the boot is the biggest. Remove the old one, trace it's shape on the new piece, and cut to fit the tracing. Selectively apply first aid tape underneath to adjust pressure on different parts of the foot bottom for comfort and balance. You may have to repunch things, cuz your foot will no longer be touching the same part of the boot.

Get the boots warm with a boot dryer before you skate.

You may have to keep repunching the parts that hurt - get your own equipment if it's frequent enough, and punch warm, using Lexol or equivalent.

Don't keep the boots in the car where they will get too hot, messing up your modifications.

If everything is done right, nothing will hurt, and nothing will slip.

If these things fail, reward yourself for coming back to the sport by buying new custom boots, and get them fit and modified at the factory.

Good luck.

amyvw
12-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I probably should stop responding to these, cuz I keep repeating myself.

(Surely a day's drive is worth it to save yourself from eternal torment.) If you live within your maximum tolerable driving distance of the factory, try them first. If not, and you can't afford to fly there, go to the best boot fitter in the area. They may do well enough that you don't need to futz around yourself. Either way, call for an appointment.

Different boot fitters have different equipment and knowledge. Some can punch out ankle and toe bones, but can't widen or vertically expand the boot, or can only do so in some places. Others can do more. If you are within driving distance of Maryland, I'll be happy to refer you to a couple of good ones.

Skating with a completely wet sock under tightly laced boats will stretch them a bit. Apply Lexol or equivalent stretching oil to soften and condition the leather afterwards, because water hardens and cracks leather.

A heat mold will help for at least a little while, if your boot is leather.

If it doesn't stretch enough, try replacing the insole with a very thin layer of leather or cardboard - the lowest part of the boot is the biggest. Remove the old one, trace it's shape on the new piece, and cut to fit the tracing. Selectively apply first aid tape underneath to adjust pressure on different parts of the foot bottom for comfort and balance. You may have to repunch things, cuz your foot will no longer be touching the same part of the boot.

Get the boots warm with a boot dryer before you skate.

You may have to keep repunching the parts that hurt - get your own equipment if it's frequent enough, and punch warm, using Lexol or equivalent.

Don't keep the boots in the car where they will get too hot, messing up your modifications.

If everything is done right, nothing will hurt, and nothing will slip.

If these things fail, reward yourself for coming back to the sport by buying new custom boots, and get them fit and modified at the factory.

Good luck.

Thank you!

I am actually in Maryland. So anywhere you can point me would be great. I'm trying to schedule an appointment w/ Skaters Paradise and hope to get up there in a couple of weeks for a fitting for a new pair.

Brittany741
12-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I was just about to post this same thread.

I bought a pair of Harlick High Testers in size 9B, and I am now a much wider foot than that, although I can make the 9 length work for me.

I had my boots stretched at a local hockey shop but it did not provide the extra width I needed to not go numb. I ended up just buying a new pair of Reidell Gold Star boots.

I can't wait to get back on the ice.

Brittany

Query
12-13-2007, 11:53 AM
I am actually in Maryland. So anywhere you can point me would be great. I'm trying to schedule an appointment w/ Skaters Paradise and hope to get up there in a couple of weeks for a fitting for a new pair.

I'm not an expert, I've just spent a lot of time dealing with my own misfit boots, as I discuss at

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/falling.html#bootmod

Everything I say here personal opinion, and a lot of people, some with more experience and skill, will disagree with me about everything.

Boot fitting is more art than science. Each fitter has people who love their work and other people who hate it, and they often use very different methods to accomplish similar things. Each can do some things the others can't, so it helps to use more than one. I have no commercial connection to any of them. All are extremely honest and competent, at the very top of the class, and are well worth talking to for advise. I won't give an order of preference. People drive hundreds of miles to see all of them.

Appointments are always recommended.

Don Klingbeil, working from the Klingbeil factory store in NY is the best known skate boot fitter on the U.S. east coast, some would say anywhere. He only works on Klingbeil boots, which he makes.

I personally consider Don Giese the most complete skate boot fitter in the Maryland area, in terms of having and using all the equipment, to stretch anything that can be stretched. He rebuilds new and used skates to custom, and could probably make his own if he wanted to. He can often do something when the others can't.

Contact: Don Giese Skates, 301-262-8042, doninhome@comcast.net

He works out of his home in Bowie, MD.

Mike Cunningham of Skater's Paradise is possibly the best known non-factory skate boot fitter on the east coast, and is very very good, and works fairly fast. He works out of an ice rink, and will walk to the ice to make final mods after you try.

Both Mike C and Don G are semi-retired, Don more than Mike.

Chuck of Blades of Bowie (has two skate shops, and more on the internet) is also very good, though I haven't had him do anything but sharpening and ordering stuff, because I'd already used the others. He has been very helpful to me for advice, and a lot of skaters love his work. He too works inside ice rink facilities, and can help you there.

Some people like someone else at Ashburn (Virginia), but I've never used them.

I don't know if any will mention without prompting what I suggested in terms of using a thinner insole, nor will they suggest warming the boot first - these methods may be too basic for them. They may or may not mention what I forgot to, selective lacing of different parts of your boot, with different tightness in different parts of the lace.

Apparently you are already seeing Mike. If you aren't happy with his work or advice, talk to Don too, and see if he can stretch anything else.

I meant what I already said - if you have the money, you will be happier in new custom fit boots, fit and modified at the factory, such as Klingbeil, though I think most KBs are too heavy and stiff for low end skaters like me (perhaps it would have been different if I had been fitted at the factory). As with fitters, each manufacturer has people who love or hate them.

amyvw
12-13-2007, 02:01 PM
I meant what I already said - if you have the money, you will be happier in new custom fit boots, fit and modified at the factory, such as Klingbeil, though I think most KBs are too heavy and stiff for low end skaters like me (perhaps it would have been different if I had been fitted at the factory). As with fitters, each manufacturer has people who love or hate them.

Thank you, thank you! I appreciate all of the information more than you know. The boots I have now are the third pair purchased that have never been quite right (2 pair of Riedell's preceded the Harlicks), and I do intend to have customs done, had thought Harlick (since I liked the ones I have now until the foot problems broke through again as the boot broke in) but now may consider going to Klingbeil as well. Definitely going to have orthotics made and some correction to counteract the horrible pronation of my left foot (which makes me lose my left outside edges...source of much frustration in the past).

Thanks again!

Amy