View Full Version : half versus whole for testing

stacyf419
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Your opinions, please:
For my adult pre-bronze freestyle test, I have the option of doing either 1/2 or full jumps (2 of them). I have a solid waltz which I will be doing. My other options at this point are either the half-flip, which I hate but which I can do in my sleep, or the salchow, which is very tiny but getting better. Should I stick with the 1/2 flip and save my salchow for bronze test, or do the judges think highly of a person attempting something more difficult but which is not perfect yet? My coach says it's up to me, but I have the feeling she would rather have me do the salchow.
I appreciate your input! (Can anyone tell I am obsessing about this?)

TreSk8sAZ
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
In my opinion, since this is a test, it would be better to do something you know you can do. Since it's your first test (I'm guessing because of the level), you don't know how nerves will effect you (or if they will at all). It's better to play it safe and do something that you hate but can do 80% of the times you attempt it versus something you can kind of do but aren't sure how well it will work. The judges are unlikely to reward you for trying something you can't do well, since a test is all about judging how correctly you do the element. A competition may be different or your coach may just want you to try something outside of your comfort level. But if you're focused on passing the test, do what you know you can do.

Morgail
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree that you should do what you feel most comfortable with. The jumps that will be there even when you're super nervous and can barely think straight are the ones to do for this test. Pre-Bronze is pass/re-try, so you don't get any extra points for trying harder jumps;)

That said, if your salchow is solid, I don't think it would matter that it's small. I think all that matters is that you do the jump correctly and land it.

coskater64
12-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Do what you can do well, and easily. I see a lot of tests as a test chair and it is always better to do what you are most comfortable with.

coskater:D

SkatingOnClouds
12-11-2007, 02:13 AM
I tend to agree with the other posters, would also offer a slightly different perspective. To me I think how far away the test date is can make a difference.

Last competition program, rather than stick with what I could already do well, I aimed for some more advanced elements, and worked hard to bring them up to standard for the comp. This kept me progressing and gave me something to work at.

2 weeks before the comp, I had a good pow wow with my coach, and we weeded out elements that really weren't quite up to standard, replacing them with elements that were more consistent for me, and felt much easier than those I'd been working on.

The result is that my program was a lot more comfortable, and I didn't stress as much leading up to the big night (the total crack up on the night is another story, but I did nail the elements in question here).

So if the test is a while away, by all means work on bringing your salchow up to standard, but don't neglect your 1/2 flip in the process. You might surprise yourself.

Sessy
12-11-2007, 04:59 AM
I hated the falling leaf and I thought I could do 3 of them in a row in my sleep... But on the test it proved to be kinda difficult. The second landing edge took me off the line I was to follow and the third jump went awkward, that had *never* happened in practice. Go figure.
Go with the half-flip. Really.

Clarice
12-11-2007, 06:01 AM
I agree with all the above. You don't get extra points for doing something harder on a test, so always go with the thing that gives you the best chance of passing.

jenlyon60
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Don't run the risk of blowing the test... since you have a choice of elements, do the elements you can do best. You'll feel better about the odds of passing, and the judges would rather see you do what you can do well, than see you go out and attempt a salchow, blow it. Then they ask for a re-skate and you blow it again and then they have to possibly mark the test as a re-try.

stacyf419
12-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks - I appreciate your advice and I will let you know how the test goes!

doubletoe
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
In my opinion, since this is a test, it would be better to do something you know you can do. Since it's your first test (I'm guessing because of the level), you don't know how nerves will effect you (or if they will at all). It's better to play it safe and do something that you hate but can do 80% of the times you attempt it versus something you can kind of do but aren't sure how well it will work. The judges are unlikely to reward you for trying something you can't do well, since a test is all about judging how correctly you do the element. A competition may be different or your coach may just want you to try something outside of your comfort level. But if you're focused on passing the test, do what you know you can do.

Totally agree.

Skittl1321
12-12-2007, 09:38 AM
For my PB freestyle test I prepared a waltz jump (first choice) and then a salchow and toe loop, since those both have good days and bad days. I hate my half flip and half lutz, so those weren't considered. During the warm up I did both my salchow and toe loop, the toe loop went better so that's what I did during the test. It was nice to have a back up plan.