View Full Version : Forward Progressives in Adult Basic Skills

jskater49
12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
So a LTS instructor was asking me about progressives since she has to teach them in Adult Basic skills and I think I confused her because all I know are dance progressives. Mind you, I do understand the difference between a crossover and a progressive, so I don't think we need to have that argument again...but the confusiion is the difference between what is expected in adult basic skills as opposed to dance. The lady was asking me, "oh so it's the timing?" And I was like, well, it depends on the dance and showed her a dutch waltz progressive and then confused her even more with the two different timings of the two progressives in the Rhythm Blues.

j

dbny
12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
The adult basic skills progressives are not progressive runs as in dance. They are progressive style crossovers. No picking up and clunking foot over foot without under push. They want a nice smooth transition from crossing foot to under foot with a real under push. Getting the crossing foot onto the ice before the cross is another requirement, but IMO, it's not as important as the under push.

jskater49
12-07-2007, 09:04 PM
The adult basic skills progressives are not progressive runs as in dance. They are progressive style crossovers. No picking up and clunking foot over foot without under push. They want a nice smooth transition from crossing foot to under foot with a real under push. Getting the crossing foot onto the ice before the cross is another requirement, but IMO, it's not as important as the under push.

Thanks. I told her I suspected it was more about teaching having a good underpush rather than the dance rhythm.

Joelle