View Full Version : Skater size and boot stiffness

R D Lite
12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi everyone--I'm glad I found these forums; I've been giving the search funtion a good workout!

I'm an adult beginner working on basic skills. My skates are entry-level Riedells (a boot-and-blade set with the PVC sole). I bought them because I simply needed something other than rentals to use while I decided whether skating was for me or not. I'm hooked now, and would like to find higher-quality, better-fitting skates now that I'm on the ice 5 or 6 days a week.

I'll be in the Los Angeles area at the end of the month visiting family, and I'm hoping to get fitted while I'm in California. I know just enough about skating at this point to realize how much I don't know, so I'm happy to let someone with more experience guide me. My LTS coaches are helpful to a point--they're reluctant to be too specific in their recommendations, and I get the impression that they frequently run into students who refuse to spend much money on their skates. I'm not rich by any means, but I'm willing to put some money into my skates to ensure that I have skates that will support my feet, help prevent injury, and assist my learning rather than hinder it.

My question for you all is this: I certainly understand that I do not want a boot that is too stiff, especially since I'm not even jumping yet. However, does the size of the skater affect the degree of stiffness an individual should look for in a boot? I'm 5'9" (140 lbs), and the LTS kids loooove to skate up to me at lessons and inform me that I'm "the tallest lady on the ice," LOL. I guess I am wary of getting too much boot, but I have to lace mine as tightly as possible to even manage crossovers without feeling like my ankle is going to roll (not a technique problem, according to my coach).

I've read conflicting opinions on this matter (i.e., does an adult beginner need more support than a beginning youngster?). It makes sense from a physics standpoint, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. What can you tell me?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Skittl1321
12-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Hi there! You can take this a with a grain of salt if you'd like- as I am not a boot fitter at all. But, yes an adult beginner does require more support than a child beginner. The 140 pounds you are carrying puts more pressure on the boots than the 50 pounds a child has- that means your crossovers will need more support. When you start jumping, your waltz jumps might be tiny, but your landing is going to have more pressure than a child's waltz jump- even once it gets bigger. What a beginner adult does NOT need is boots as stiff as a child doing triples- even if they are half your weight.

A good boot to look into is the Jackson Competitor, or even the freestyle if you don't have a lot of money. I think going up to the competitor is worth it because it has a better blade and will last longer. I'm not quite your weight, but I didn't find the break in period difficult, and after a year they haven't begun breaking down (though for other reasons I switched boots- to another pair of competitiors).

I think in Reidells you might want to try the Medallion series. Don't go with Ribbons- they will be too light weight. The Star series might be too high if you haven't started jumping yet.

If you are in LA- you will probably be lucky enough to try other boot companies too, but I don't know anything about SP Teri, Klingbeill, etc and what their boots are. Do a lot of research on how the boots should fit (use the search function here!) Don't get extra length to make up for width! And if the fitter is saying the things you know to be true, trust them! If they say something like "Oh you want these to fit like a nice comfy sneaker" like my first fitter did- run for the hills!

double3s
12-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes, an adult needs a stiffer skate than a youngster, and a heavier person will need a stiffer boot than a lighter person. As my coach told me when my skates started breaking down: "You no snowflake girl. Even small girl boot stiffer needing." Which is apparently Russian for, "You're not a small woman, and even a small girl needs a stiffer boot than this."

I second the Jackson Competitor or Freestyle suggestion. They are a great boot for beginning adults; I had mine for a couple of years and would still be in them if my feet hadn't shrunk, requiring new skates.

coskater64
12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
You will get a lot of different opinions on this topic, I am also 5'9" but a bit lighter and not a beginner. If you live in CA you have access to SP Teri and Harlick you could easily get their basic boot and be fine. When you start doing things with more speed and power you will need to bump up again. Don't get some triple strength monstrosity thinking you will use them longer...all you will get are blisters and a lot of pain. A lot of this depends on your ankle strength, I currently use a hinged boot which I would not recommend for a beginner.
I would suggest you get a coronation ace blade, try to get a stock boot and see where you can go in your area to be fitted by a good fitter the company recommends, if you are LTS don't spend a huge sum of cash. That will come later when you hit the adult/standard track.

SPTeri (http://www.spteri.com/)
Harlick (http://www.harlick.com)

Good luck, happy skating!

Morgail
12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
As my coach told me when my skates started breaking down: "You no snowflake girl. Even small girl boot stiffer needing."

LOL! I love reading the stuff your coach says - it always makes me laugh:)

I'm hooked now, and would like to find higher-quality, better-fitting skates now that I'm on the ice 5 or 6 days a week.

As everyone else has said, you do need a stiffer boot than a child beginner. While both Harlicks & SPTeris are great (I love my SPTeris!!), since this is your first pair of real boots, you might consider going to a fitter/pro shop that carries a few different brands. That way you can try them all on and decide which ones feel the best on your feet. I think most people start out in Riedells or Jacksons, but you might find that something else works better for you. Then, the fitter can recommend which style of boot in that brand would be best for your size and ability. Maybe someone on here can recommend an LA-area fitter or pro shop?

Just to let you know, I skate with a woman who is just under 6 feet tall:) She's working on her axel now, so I don't think her height has hindered her skating at all. And she has the most beautiful spirals because her legs are so long! :)

quarkiki2
12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Not only that, but a good boot fitter will take into account other things -- like how long your Acchilles' tendon is and how deeply you bend your knees.

I was an adult beginner who started off in Reidell Gold Stars because a) I'm fat b) my Achilles' tendon is loooong and c) I folded every boot up to Silver Stars just by bending my knees.

There were a few on this board who told me I was getting too much skate, but I've never had so much as a blister and they have done a good job for me. So the best advice I can give is see a good fitter -- they don't try to sell expensive skates, but try to sell skates that are right for the skater.

doubletoe
12-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Let me know where you plan to be in the L.A. area and I can recommend a good fitter.

R D Lite
12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Just so I'm clearer: I actually live in the Northwest US, and while we have some nice facilities and a large and active skating club, we have only one very small pro shop in the area (which carries very few boots in stock). I will be in California visiting family, and at the recommendation of my coach, will be trying to find a fitter while I'm there so I can get some good advice as well as try on a number of different boots. (Doubletoe--we'll be going from San Bernardino to Anaheim and then up to the Burbank area. Any recommendations you can offer would be very welcome!)

I do feel that I have learned enough to know if I'm in good hands or not when I find a fitter, thanks in large part to these boards (as well as endlessly questioning my coach/more experienced friends), and I have learned quite a lot about how skates should fit. Though they are better than rentals by leaps and bounds, the Riedells are a bit too narrow and a bit too long, so I'm looking forward to trying some other brands, too.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I appreciate it!

kayskate
12-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Yup. chiming in w another vote for stiffer boots. However, be careful that they are not too stiff, as this will mean a longer, more painful break in and they may actually hamper your progress. I made this mistake when I started ice skating as an adult. I just took my sister for a boot fitting. She is a beginning FS adult and is shorter and smaller than you, but still bigger than a kid. The fitter recommended Reidell bronze Star for adults working on basic jumps and entry level spins. IMO, the boot was an appropriate firmness for her at her level of skating. I think they will carry her through her singles and basic spins.

Kay

GordonSk8erBoi
12-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Just so I'm clearer: I actually live in the Northwest US, and while we have some nice facilities and a large and active skating club, we have only one very small pro shop in the area (which carries very few boots in stock). I will be in California visiting family, and at the recommendation of my coach, will be trying to find a fitter while I'm there so I can get some good advice as well as try on a number of different boots. (Doubletoe--we'll be going from San Bernardino to Anaheim and then up to the Burbank area. Any recommendations you can offer would be very welcome!)

I do feel that I have learned enough to know if I'm in good hands or not when I find a fitter, thanks in large part to these boards (as well as endlessly questioning my coach/more experienced friends), and I have learned quite a lot about how skates should fit. Though they are better than rentals by leaps and bounds, the Riedells are a bit too narrow and a bit too long, so I'm looking forward to trying some other brands, too.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I appreciate it!

If you don't manage to find a fitter in LA for whatever reason, we have a couple of good fitters here in the Portland area... PM me for info.

I started off in Jackson Freestyles but I never got a good fit in them (not the boots' fault). I have Riedell Silver Stars now that work quite well for me (I'm 5-10, 220ish).