View Full Version : What is a good price for Riedell Silver Stars???

Tiara
12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I think I got a great deal on some ice skates, but I wanted to run it past all of you experts . I bought a pair on Riedell Silver Star skates (sz. 7 womens) with Wilson Coronation Ace blades. The skates are LIKE NEW, only used a few times by previous owner (wrong size), and are PERFECT in every way. They were bought in 2004.

I paid $160 total, I thought I got an excellent deal since the blades and skates retail for almost $600. But, now on the trading post here i saw some silver stars with similar blades being sold for cheaper.....(granted they are not in nearly as good of condition sold for $150).

What price would you have expected to buy skates like these for? Did I get a good deal? Thank you all in advance for opinions!

Tiara

Skittl1321
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I think you usually see silver stars (new) just under $300.

Coronation Aces (new) are usually under $200.

You did get a great deal, assuming they fit your feet and are in good condition.

Since the other pair you saw was just $10 cheaper, and not the same condition, I wouldn't sweat it.

Tiara
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the reply! Silver stars (model 355) at my rink cost about $375 for boots (on riedells site it says retail should be $395, and the coronation ace blades run about $200. So retail for me is about $575 plus tax.

I was mainly curious about how well they hold their value once used. Like I said, thought, the skates and blades I bought are in like new condition.

If you were to buy a used pair of Reidell silver stars and coronation ace blades, how much would you expect to pay as a norm? I am trying to justify the purchase to my husband, to make him understand that I got a GREAT deal! Iwanted some other skaters input to back me up..LOL:lol:

Tiara

renatele
12-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I'd put it this way: if you need new skates, and if Riedells fit you well, and this pair is in your size and the model is in the range of what you need - yes, you definitely got a great deal.

Now... if you got them just because they sort of fit you, and you thought the price was great - well, it could be questionable as to how great of a deal it is *for you* ;)

vesperholly
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
That's a great deal! They should last you a really long time, provided they don't break down. That level of boot and blades should take you through getting all your single jumps.

GordonSk8erBoi
12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
My Riedell Silver Stars were $389 at the pro shop (so includes fitting and various adjustments he made, and blade mounting and adjustment) earlier this year. My MK Pro Parabolics were $240 mounted.

Of course being male, my chances of finding used skates in my size are almost nil anyway.

patatty
12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I bought new Silver Stars and Coronation Ace blades almost 4 years ago, and the total price with tax was about $500, so $150 is a good deal, as long as both the blades and boots are in good condition. Unfortunately for me, my boots started to break down pretty quickly and the blades went even faster, so the whole thing lasted me less than 2 years. I now have Klingbeil boots and Gold Seal blades, and I'm hoping I'll get many years out of both.

stardust skies
12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I bought new Silver Stars and Coronation Ace blades almost 4 years ago, and the total price with tax was about $500, so $150 is a good deal, as long as both the blades and boots are in good condition. Unfortunately for me, my boots started to break down pretty quickly and the blades went even faster, so the whole thing lasted me less than 2 years. I now have Klingbeil boots and Gold Seal blades, and I'm hoping I'll get many years out of both.

2 years is a long time for boots/blades...

How did your blades break down exactly? 8O If you get your skates sharpened once a month, you should expect them to last you about a year before they get worn down low enough to affect your usual balance. So 2 years on blades worn by someone who requires the stiffness of a Silver Star (assuming at least all single jumps?) is great. At least in my opinion, I'd be happy with keeping blades or boots that long. Not that it would happen.

To the OP: you got a good deal so long as they're in good condition.