View Full Version : I miss skating!

Krystal
12-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi, I'm Krystal. I used to skate but I haven't in about 3 years and I really miss it now. When I see ice skating on tv I get really sad and think "I should be doing that!". I started skating when I was 8 but once I hit the 'teens' I had less and less time to practice with everything else that was going. Eventually, when I got to high school, freshman year, I quit. I decided to try another sport since there wasn't an ice skating team at school. Now I'm a senior, 17 years old, three years later, and I wonder if after three years I will be able to pick up where I left off, or if I'll have to learn everything over again. And I wonder if when I go to the rink or to competitions I'll feel silly being surrounded by children. I was working on FS1 or FS2, I believe . . . Has anyone here taken a very long break from skating and then tried to go back to it? Am I too old now? Any advice?

Skittl1321
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
If you miss it- take it up again!

Lots of people start a lot older than you, and you won't be a complete beginner.

Just remember to not compare yourself to how you did "back then"- that it will take time to regain skills, and probably more time than it used to to learn new skills.

I started skating at 25, after having taken Basic 1 at age 7. Two years into skating I'm working on my bronze moves in the field. It's definetly not just a sport for the very young.

icedancer2
12-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Man - you sound just like me except you're thinking of getting back on the ice much sooner than I did - so go for it!!

I quit when I was 14 - the usual reasons - not progressing, parents not wanting to haul me to the rink, hormones, all of that - every year after that I would think about skating all of the time, especially in the winter (our club when I was little was only a winter club - we had to travel to skate in the summer back then) - I would skate evening public sessions in high school with my friends but I still missed really skating and taking lessons. After a while I would skate a few times a year - just knocking around. I always had a pair of skates...

Finally, finally finally when I was 34 or 35, finally established in my career and making a little money I started taking lessons again - that was 18 years ago and I have not looked back!!!

So do it now - it will be harder the longer you wait, although now I have the maturity to stick with it, LOL, plus paying for my own lessons LOL!

sk8er1964
12-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I quit skating when I was 16 - same reasons as others have given. I started again at 38. I have been the only adult on all kiddie sessions, and it's ok. Nobody looks at me like I have three heads :lol:. As for competitions, there's a lot of skaters your age competing at local competitions - I've done "kiddie comps" with no problems, although they usually put the adult events that I compete in at the end of the competition when most of the kids are gone. In another year you'll be eligible to skate in young adult events at most adult-only comps (assuming that there are any located near you).

As for skills, I got most everything back in the five years I've been back on the ice - albeit the middle aged version - except for my doubles. I think that's more mental, though, then physical. I had my axel back within the first year.

With you still being so young, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting back in the swing of things.

doubletoe
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
You'll be just fine! I started at 27, skated for a few years, then took 5 years off. When I came back, it didn't take long at all to be doing everything I'd been doing before.

Sessy
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
A girl at my rink quit when she was 12 and she's now 15 and back. She lost her flip, loop and lutz, but they're coming back quickly
The problem she seems to be having is more psychological. The girls she skated with on the same level are doing doubles nowadays and she isn't.

Morgail
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
You should go back if you want to! I quit at age 17 (after skating my whole life!), and didn't start again until I was 26. It took me about a year to get everything back (I was working on ISI FS 5 when I quit). I had my jumps up to the salchow back the first day, but they were messy.

Just go hit a public session and see what you can do. Don't be disappointed if you can't do everything that you could 3 years ago. It might take a little while. Then look into getting back into lessons if you want to. :)

sk8tegirl06
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Honestly, I could have written your post. I did basic skills through about 5/6 but once I hit high school other activities began to take over, plus my parents weren't going to drive me at the crack of dawn, so I could only skate Sunday nights. We eventually lost that ice time to hockey and my coaches were not at this rink all that often. I am now a sophmore in college and have been back skating for a year. At this point last year, I was in ISI delta/gamma preparing for the christmas show w/ 8-10 year olds. Right now, I have passed pre-pre moves and will be testing pre-pre free on Thursday. Last year I had an iffy waltz jump at best, now I have waltz, salchow, toe loop, half flip/lutz, scratch spin, an iffy sit spin and back spin. At my next lesson my coach wants to start on loops again. If skating is something you really want, then just go for it. Don't worry about being around the little kids, they really don't realize how old you really are. My christmas show group from last year thought I was 14-15, when in reality I had just turned 19. I think being a little older will help you understand the mechanics behind jumps/spins better and at this point you are there because you want to be there. Keep dreaming! :D

kayskate
12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Skaters who come back after skating in childhood almost always have better carriage and presence on the ice than adult-trained skaters. Their skills come back quickly. I knew a woman who skated as a kid and came back in her late 20s and landed her axel again after 9 mo. You are not too old! Read the "is 23 too old" thread.

Kay

ibreakhearts66
12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I took what felt like a really long break.

I started skating when I was 13, and by the time I was 15 I had decent doubles. Well, I ended up taking a two year break (not by choice) due to illness and then injury. I got back on the ice in August of this year, and am skating better now than ever. I struggled a bit getting back my double sal, but now I feel comfortable enough with my 2sal, 2toe and 2loop that I could start triples! I think you will be surprised how easily things come back to you after being off of the ice. I'm not saying they will come bacck right away or that you won't have to work for it, but it won't be as terrible as you fear

...now i just have to remind myself of that (losing ice time to hip surgery :frus: )

Sessy
12-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Just go hit a public session and see what you can do. Don't be disappointed if you can't do everything that you could 3 years ago. It might take a little while. Then look into getting back into lessons if you want to. :)

Her skates might not fit anymore, whehehehe :twisted:

Krystal
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words and advice.
I'm much less nervous now, after hearing everyone else's stories.
I've been invited to go to a public skate with an old acquaintance and her boy friend (who also happens to be a "retired" skater) so maybe I'll try out some of the old stuff to see what I can do, if there aren't too many people on the ice. Also, get to socialize with some new people.
I'm going to look into maybe starting some lessons again, I don't have the phone number of my last coach anymore so I'll have to find someone new. That's alright though, she wasn't a great coach.

And Sessy, I'm not too worried about that, I haven't grown much since then. lol.

sk8rxforxlife
12-15-2007, 08:09 PM
true wut skitt says. u should just follow ur heart.