View Full Version : Broken In or Broken Down 12/3-12/9/2007 Practice Thread

jskater49
12-03-2007, 10:06 AM
With all this talk of new skates, broken down skates, this is our theme - Broken is good, just perfect. Broken down, well you know how bad that can be

Broken Down Too much coffee at show meeting last night, didn't get to sleep till after 11 - get up at 4, that is not enough sleep for me!

Broken in - I felt real good on my crossovers in power class, I think they are getting much smoother.

Followed coaches orders to do two foot slaloms when the others did power pulls and as boring as that is, I do believe I am getting the rhythm.

And after power, I got taught our adult holiday number to "it's the most fattening time of the year" It's quite easy and quite cute.

DD is choreographing the dance number in the Spring show. It's to "ku-U-I-Po" by Elvis Presley from "Blue Hawaii" and we tried it - we are going to have high level dancers do the Rocker Foxtrot and Low Level dancers do the Swing. At the same time. Plus we have a curtain blocking about a quarter of the rink so DD has to figure out how to cut off the pattern. I think she'll figure it out.

I'm competing the Swing in January -- wonder if I can convince them to play the Presley song for the dance ;)

j

blackmanskating
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Broken Down: Failed my Bronze test yesterday. :cry: Was doing great on the first 2 patterns and then I make the stupid mistake of falling on a back crossover. After that it was all downhill. I already had it in my mind that I failed. I'm pretty sure it was written all over my face. I have never fallen on my moves when I practiced them so I know that it was sheer nerves getting the best of me. Spent a ton of money to take both the bronze moves and free at the same time. I couldn't take the FS test and they definitely kept all of the money. :frus: I'm a bit burned out and I have been that way for a while. I told my coach that I'm going on sabbatical and I am not sure for how long. I'm not giving up skating because I am still going to practice daily. But I need to find the joy in skating again because I've seem to have lost it somewhere along the way.

Broken In: Finally got the hang of my forward sit-spin and now I can do it at will. It's thigh is pretty parallel to the ice now. Now I want to practice changing to an outside edge. This is a huge leap forward for me because sit spins have been a nemesis of mine for months. Today it just clicked. I accidentally found the sweet spot on the blade and I was able to repeat it over and over again. Now my sit spin is more consistent than my camel spin.

BlackManSkating

jskater49
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Sorry to hear that Blackmanskating. I wonder if maybe you were trying to accomplish too much too fast and that took some of the joy out? You should definately just skate for the fun of it and do what you like for awhile.

Also, I know you didn't get to do your free skating test, but I wondered about how wise it was to put in a lot of difficult footwork that was not necesary for the test....maybe just too much pressure you put on yourself?

j

blackmanskating
12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Blackmanskating. I wonder if maybe you were trying to accomplish too much too fast and that took some of the joy out? You should definately just skate for the fun of it and do what you like for awhile.

Also, I know you didn't get to do your free skating test, but I wondered about how wise it was to put in a lot of difficult footwork that was not necesary for the test....maybe just too much pressure you put on yourself?

j

I am definitely considering a change of pace and maybe a change of coach. I cannot continue like this or I will eventually hate to skate. I think that it's great that I have the potential to land a double axel after such a short time on the ice, but it doesn't mean anything if I can't do it when it matters. There is a huge difference between talent and experience. That's the one thing that I can take away from this. What makes it worse is that I didn't fail by much. I failed by 2 tenths of a point. :frus: One judge passed me and scored me well above the passing average. The other 2 marked me .1 below the average. These moves are completely within my ability to do, so it seems rather silly to come up short.

BlackManSkating

Sessy
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Blackman, sounds like my driving tests... But I do have a driver's license now. Third time around, after the examiner hit the brakes, I decided I had failed anyway and so I didn't feel like I had to prove that I could pass it... so I just took a deep breath, forced my legs to relax and to unclinch the wheel and just drive the rest of the session out cuz they must let you drive at least 45 minutes anyway... I was *convinced* I'd failed, but I passed. 8O And something similar happened on my last skating test.

I'm sure you'll do better next time! Dust it off, and try again, be a man :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuIVnj0mIPI

As for the change of coach, I do know how you feel but I've also heard you be very praiseful of the way your coach can explain things to you. Perhaps you need to talk with him/her and explain what you're looking for from him/her rather than find a new one?

Morgail
12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Failed my Bronze test yesterday. :cry: Was doing great on the first 2 patterns and then I make the stupid mistake of falling on a back crossover.

Sorry to hear that! Just remember though, that a fall can happen to the most prepared skater. Sometimes the ice just doesn't cooperate:) I had a similar experience when I tested dances last spring. I didn't fall, but I let myself get freaked out by the unfamiliar music - I was sure I wouldn't be able to keep count, and, with that mindset, I couldn't keep count and didn't pass. I hope the time off lets you relax and remember what you love about skating:) Everyone needs a break once in a while.

For me:

Broken In:
-all forward 3-turns! I even did the LFI 3 successfully.
-inside mohawks improved from last time, but I'm still hesitant and scratchy
-forward cross strokes were much better than last week
-RB power pulls were great until I almost took out a little kid skating in the wrong direction
-all crossovers were good at medium speed
-I've revised my no-spinning-for-a-month rule to no forward one-foot spins for month:lol: I did a few backspins that were good (they don't involve the injured foot!), and did a nice two-foot spin.

Broken Down:
-Back 3s were scary. I was afraid to try any on the left foot.
-R-L outside mohawk is somewhat better than L-R, but both were sad.
-forward power pulls were awful. Not sure if it was the bad ice, or my fear kicking in.
-I felt stiff, like I couldn't get down in my knees very well.

blackmanskating
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Sorry to hear that! Just remember though, that a fall can happen to the most prepared skater. Sometimes the ice just doesn't cooperate:) I had a similar experience when I tested dances last spring. I didn't fall, but I let myself get freaked out by the unfamiliar music - I was sure I wouldn't be able to keep count, and, with that mindset, I couldn't keep count and didn't pass. I hope the time off lets you relax and remember what you love about skating:) Everyone needs a break once in a while.

The rink was noticeably smaller than what I am used to. I don't even think that it was a NHL sized rink. The corners of the rink seemed cut off and the hockey circles were so close together I couldn't imagine doing Pre-Bronze on those. But I was pretty sure I got a handle of the rink size during the warmup so I really didn't focus on it much.

BlackManSkating

momsk8er
12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Blackmanskating, just remember that you will pass this test. It may seem like a huge setback now, but as soon as you pass the test it will be a small bump in the road and not a major pothole. Can you try again next month?

blackmanskating
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Blackmanskating, just remember that you will pass this test. It may seem like a huge setback now, but as soon as you pass the test it will be a small bump in the road and not a major pothole. Can you try again next month?

I don't really see my test failure as a huge setback. Everything leading up to the test was so last minute that I was a bit more stressed than usual. I actually felt more nervous about this test than my pre-bronze and I was more prepared for this test. I'm pretty sure that all I need is some time off just to clear my head and make some decisions about my future in this sport. The only thing I know is that something has to change because I haven't really felt good about my skating in months.

BlackManSkating

Isk8NYC
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
The rink was noticeably smaller than what I am used to. I don't even think that it was a NHL sized rink. The corners of the rink seemed cut off and the hockey circles were so close together I couldn't imagine doing Pre-Bronze on those. But I was pretty sure I got a handle of the rink size during the warmup so I really didn't focus on it much.
You have my sympathies on the retest. You're more than capable of passing this test, based on the scores.

One thing I learned is that each rink/test session is different.
For example, most test sessions use the hockey lines for Waltz 8's, others the center, one had them test on the double circles.

Everyone should (if they can) watch a test session before they take a test at any club/rink. Even better, try and do a runthrough before your next test on the actual ice surface. It helps so much to be able to get your bearings beforehand and "feel out the ice." (I know it's not always possible, but if the opportunity exists, take advantage of it.)

You'll get this - don't give up!

blackmanskating
12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
You have my sympathies on the retest. You're more than capable of passing this test, so don't give up.

One thing I learned by watching other test sessions is that each rink/test session is different. For example, most test sessions use the hockey lines for Waltz 8's, others the center, one had them test on the double circles.

If you can, try and do a runthrough before your next test on the actual ice surface. It helps so much to be able to get your bearings beforehand and "feel out the ice."

You'll get this - don't give up!

I haven't given up yet so you don't have to worry about finding my skates for sale on ebay. :lol: This has been something that has been going on for a while and this entire week has just been the final nail on the coffin. Thanks for the support. It is greatly appreciated. :halo:

BlackManSkating

doubletoe
12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Broken Down: Failed my Bronze test yesterday. :cry: Was doing great on the first 2 patterns and then I make the stupid mistake of falling on a back crossover. After that it was all downhill. I already had it in my mind that I failed. I'm pretty sure it was written all over my face. I have never fallen on my moves when I practiced them so I know that it was sheer nerves getting the best of me. Spent a ton of money to take both the bronze moves and free at the same time. I couldn't take the FS test and they definitely kept all of the money. :frus: I'm a bit burned out and I have been that way for a while. I told my coach that I'm going on sabbatical and I am not sure for how long. I'm not giving up skating because I am still going to practice daily. But I need to find the joy in skating again because I've seem to have lost it somewhere along the way.

Broken In: Finally got the hang of my forward sit-spin and now I can do it at will. It's thigh is pretty parallel to the ice now. Now I want to practice changing to an outside edge. This is a huge leap forward for me because sit spins have been a nemesis of mine for months. Today it just clicked. I accidentally found the sweet spot on the blade and I was able to repeat it over and over again. Now my sit spin is more consistent than my camel spin.

BlackManSkating

I'm so sorry to hear that the nerves got the better of you on your test. I think most of us have been there and know exactly what that feels like! I know I sure do! :roll: On the other hand, I would say that the GOOD news of finally having that sitspin click FAR outweighs your bad news! You will re-take the test and pass it, so the "retry" on the test will be history soon. . . but your nice new sitspin will stay with you and serve you well for years to come! Embrace the process and try to think of every failure as a chapter that just makes your final success story all the more interesting. :)

looplover
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I haven't given up yet so you don't have to worry about finding my skates for sale on ebay. :lol: This has been something that has been going on for a while and this entire week has just been the final nail on the coffin. Thanks for the support. It is greatly appreciated. :halo:

BlackManSkating

Oh man...I'm so sorry that happened...I tell you, there's something about that Bronze moves test. I put my foot down on pattern 1 and never had done that before, nearly failed it myself. Got a reskate on that but it was very, very close. I'm about to join you on the bleachers, which leads me to:

Broken down: Lost my second job today. Skating is now out of the question. I'm kind of destroyed and have to email my coach tonight. There's just no way I can pay for it anymore. Also had a crappy practice yesterday with no backspin at all so maybe I was having a psychic moment. Regardless, December is starting out very bad.

Broken in: my boots, and that's about it.

jazzpants
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Broken down: Lost my second job today. Skating is now out of the question. I'm kind of destroyed and have to email my coach tonight. There's just no way I can pay for it anymore. Also had a crappy practice yesterday with no backspin at all so maybe I was having a psychic moment. Regardless, December is starting out very bad. I'm so sorry, looplover! I know what you're going thru, since I've been thru that a few times myself. I've also been thru long period of unemployment too and have contemplated quitting skating back then too. I ended up cutting back on it, b/c I realized that it was the only thing that was keeping me sane from the unemployment experience.

Yup! I've learned from skating those Bronze Moves patterns at both my home rink (NHL size) and my old weekend rink (which was Olympic sized... much bigger)... gotta practice on the ice that you'll be TESTING on. Otherwise, you won't have much of a chance to adjust your pattern to the rink. (I also had a similar thing happen when I had a lesson in NYC at the West Rink, which is SMALLER than my home rink!!! Ran out of rink before I got done with the beginning of the pattern. Oops!!! :oops: )

I am definitely considering a change of pace and maybe a change of coach. I cannot continue like this or I will eventually hate to skate.What do you feel is missing from the experience? If the issue is that you feel a sense that you're just skating for the sake of passing tests and competing and not for the pure enjoyment of just skating and doing the artistic thing, I can totally understand what you're going thru. I think for me, once I got the Bronze FS test monkey off my back, I felt a HUGE sense of relief b/c I don't have to worry about qualifying JUST to go to AN. I can take my time, plan out my program and work on those technical skills I don't have now at my own leisure. I can just focus on having a good time competing at AN! :D

FlyAndCrash
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Sorry about the retry! It was probably an off run-through, especially after the fall.

Broken In: I ran through all of my prelim moves today.
Broken Down: And fell on a right outside spiral. As in just tipped over and no one knows why.

Broken In: I might be testing my prelim moves soon...
Broken Down: on Dec. 24, and there is no way I am getting up before 9a.m. to take a test on Christmas Eve. So the test may be delayed.

Broken In: I think I landed a double sal...
Broken Down: I think...

Broken In: I did an axle, 1/2 loop, flip sequence...
Broken Down: but somehow hit my leg with my hand on part of the jump and was flailing.

Overall it was a very broken in day though.

Rusty Blades
12-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Broken Down: Back XOs are still weak in one direction, nonexistent in the other. Waltz jumps as ok (for me), Toe Loop wasn't happening.

Broken In: To my great amazement, my upright spins were making great leaps forward - some of them were actually CONTROLLED and easily went 3+ revolutions with a controlled exit (instead of bailing when it starts to come apart!).

In lesson, I talked to my coach about the sit spin (which neither of us expected me to be able to do) but after watching some old US Nationals tapes I picked up an idea. Tried a few and actually got into "the legal position"! Not 3 revolutions yet but low enough to count as a Sit. (Not too shabby for 58!)

Broken Down: It normally takes 10 to 15 minutes to drive from the rink to the office. Thanks to a snow storm, it took an hour this morning!

momsk8er
12-04-2007, 09:57 AM
broken in - I love skating freestyle sessions with my daughter. it gives us some together time, and it is fun to share tips and suggestions.

broken down - I hate skating freestyle sessions with my daughter, as we spend too much time chatting, and I spend too much time watching her.

broken in - I finally isolated a problem with my spin that was making it not centered. I was trying to bring the free leg around and straighten the skating leg at the same time. I think I should be bringing the leg around first and then straightening the skating leg, no? Then I did 2 best ever spins after I fixed that. Fast! Centered!!

broken down - but my spins completely fell apart as I played more with the timing of the bringing around and straightening. Took several tries to get them back again.

broken in - I can do that inside/outside 3 turn nightmare on the pre-bronze moves pretty well by the third time around. hope I have that much time to warm up when testing.

broken down - this week, for the first time, I've occasionally put my foot down or not been able to do the 3 turn on that stupid move! I think it's nerves, but dang! they are supposed to be getting better, not manifesting new problems at this point. maybe this is because I'm going faster?

broken in - cross rolls are getting better! jumps are getting higher.

broken down - still no stinkin' backspin.

Mrs Redboots
12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
(((Hugs))) to blackmanskating. Look, for the rest of this year go and HAVE FUN on the ice. Do things you enjoy doing. Put yourself a silly Christmas-themed programme together, even if you never perform it. Learn ice-dancing.... just have fun out there.

For me, no skating this week; I have some kind of virus and really don't feel well enough. I may go to the last-ever dance club at Alexandra Palace tomorrow night, but probably won't do more than sit and watch, we'll have to see. Tonight I have to go to our rink as it's our Christmas Gala and I'm announcing - last thing I really feel like doing given the headache I have... ah well.

Isk8NYC
12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Need my right blade moved further to the outside. It's definitely off.

Broken Down:
Still struggling with the Circle 3's, which ties right into my despised threes-on-the-line. It's all about bringing my feet back together after the turn in order to step forward. Practiced a million FO-step-FO three sequences.

Tango stops and twizzles aren't really very good, but I can fake it. Sort of.

Practiced my CW spins - hate the backspin - I go right up on an edge of the heel. CCW spins were okay, but the camel was no-show.

Broken In:
Did some figures today - actually managed a few wobbly BO/BI eights.
I've resolved to practice those regularly. (Can't hurt)

Practiced all my edges and three turns. Mediocre at best, but doable, except the back inside 3's - both are crapola.

Jumps were okay, still not landing the flip, loop or lutz.

Power 3's - good; PM spirals - good; PM crossovers - good.

Because the ice was fresh, I could actually SEE my tracings for mohawks. That coaxed me into doing FI-BI-FI sequences on a circle. They look correct! hahaha

Terri C
12-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Blackmanskating... sorry about the retry. Just keep working those moves, even though you may hate them, so that muscle memory compensates for nerves next time! I'm implementing that for my re test of Bronze free, which is next Friday!

Broken In:

Had a challenge from Secondary Coach today. After skating my test warmup, I did back to back runthroughs of my program! While both runthroughs had bobbles here and there, the overall skating felt pretty strong and I held back on absolutely nothing!! Coach was proud of me!

Sound system is working again.

Broken Down:
The rink "dog", a Golden Retriever named Gretzsky, had to be put down to sleep today. He had had a emergency splenectomy last month, only to find out that he had liver cancer as well.
Gretzsky... R.I.P. :cry: :cry:

jskater49
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Broken Down - drove 3 hours to get my daughter a dance lesson. Her coach is moving and this is the closest one we can find.

Broken In She's master rated in dance, freestyle and moves. DD said she got more out of 45 minutes with her than she has all year up to now.

And I grabbed 15 minutes of the hour....Very helpful--we reviewed with a stroking excersize, bend, push, rise, feet together, bend (before changing feet) and then push. We did the same thing with swing rolls - it's a little tricky rebending before changing feet- I had a little balance problem, but I think that will be a very helpful excersize. Also worked on back swing rolls, and improved my edges immensly.

broken down DD wants to finish her gold dances by next fall. New coach thinks she can do it but it's gonna mean a LOT of 3 hour trips.

DD's fs coach is going on maternity leave sometime in March. There is no other high level fs coach available so she's bringing in her friend from Florida to take over while she's out. I've decided I'm not taking any more lessons after her maternity leave because I have to save money somewhere and I want DD to be able to get her gold dances. DD can coach me and I can pick up 15 minutes here and there from her other coaches.

I'm okay with that. There will be time for me later.

j

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Blackmanskating, I'm very sorry to hear that. Once you get some time from the test, it will put some perspective on it...you can make a better decision. Don't make one in haste. I know what you mean about losing the joy. When I decided not to test USFSA, I felt 1,000% better. (sorry guys!)

Broken In: public session was EMPTY for the first hour!!!! $3 for private ice!!!!!! I worked on stuff I normally don't get to (even my leg cooperated) like back in/outside edges! Then two people showed up to skate. That was it for the whole session!

Jumps were really good and I even tried FLIPS on the ice!!! Could not make it all the way around, but since I've only done these off ice.....

Broken Down: Spins were gone, even the backspin. But, I can do a 2-foot and sort-of one-foot spin in the other direction....that's what i get for teaching learn-2-skate! Is it too late to switch directions?????? Because spinning on my right foot clockwise, they are centered....

Tried some loops but that foot touched down again so I stopped.

All-in-all, i'm EXTREMELY pleased with today's session!

Skittl1321
12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Blackmanskating- sorry to hear about your test. What an unfortunate fall- but all the best skaters have had those unfortunate moments. I know it stinks to just barely get a retry, but that shows that the test is most definetly in you- it just wasn't your day :( (Of course, now I'm scared! to take that test... Bronze seems to be WAY harder than PB, but the moves really don't seem to be that much harder)

Broken In Yesterday was just a fantastic day of skating. It really made me feel good about myself.

We started group lessons by having the Freestyle 1 kids take their tests. The other adult and I reminded the instructor that we had both passed it (I'm going to be stuck on the Freestyle 4 test forever, and the other lady is working on the Freestyle 3 test) so we both went to work on back 3 outside 3 turns to forward inside 3 turns. I've been doing pretty well with that pattern, so after a few minutes I started back inside to forward outside- which is much more difficult for me. And about 90% of the backward ones turned!!! So when the instructor came over to check on us he said "Perfect... but..."
Broken down Apparently I put my foot down like I'm wondering if water is cold. So I need to do a really strong edge push before the 3-turn. I tried it a few times just on back edges and scary! I wasn't able to ever do the turn with a more powerful push. I'm blocking myself with my arms, so he worked with me to fix that, and then I tried a really strong push and managed to fall and then slide into the wall. The instructor laughed and asked how that happened because he was watching my arms (which were right). By the end of the lesson, I did one "good" 3-turn with a strong push before it. I prefer skating to be slow as molasses!

Broken in Then we worked on spins. My scratch spin has gotten a lot better with the new blades. I'm spinning about twice as many revolutions as I used to, and am holding my position much better.
Broken down But I cannot center at all. I'm traveling a lot. Like grab a passport and a bag traveling. I've been told to lift my toes up while I spin, to stay off my toepick, but we'll see. I'm not spinning on the toepick, I don't rise up onto it, it's just that it drags- I need to be further back on the blade.

Broken in I did some backspins! I got up to 5 (not in position) revolutions. I haven't been able to do a backspin in months, after progressing to be able to do a wimpy one about 4 months ago, after 6 months of work. I think my new blades are also part of that, as well as the advice a different instructor gave me to keep my leg out. They need so much work, but the instructor was complementary of them.

Broken down Possibly the new boots? They are more than supportive doing moves and spinning, which is what I do most, but doing lots of jumps, I felt like my ankle is bending a lot more than it used to. It might just be because they are more broken in than my boots, but I don't know where the line is that makes them not supportive enough. There is no visible creasing, but in my landing position, I can kind of see a small bulge in the leather where I bend. Even if I have to go back to my new boots (no! my toes don't want that!) spending the $50 to try these was worth it to get the blades!

Than cheapskate afterwards was an insanely crowded mess, but it was a fun crowd with a good energy, so I stayed and practiced a bit. I had a guy, flailing all over the place ask me how I managed to not fall down, and I told him "just keep standing up"- he came back about 20 minutes later and told me he was trying that, and it seemed to be working okay. About a minute later I fell on a spin! (Who falls on spins!) So much for just staying standing up. I got abuot 40 minutes of good practice on that session. Usually if there are more than a few public skaters, it's not worth it. I guess this was because it was a college group instead of kids, they more or less stayed in the outside of the rink, in a counter clockwise direction, instead of crossing all over the middle every which way. Most couldn't skate well, but well enough that I bet they have skated before at a rink that actually has some sort of rules/traffic pattern.

liz_on_ice
12-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your test blackmanskating. This is a tough time of year to be training hard, there are so many other commitments. Scaling back over the holidays could be a great idea.

broken down - I've been involuntarily scaling back all last week, various circumstances kept me off the ice, this week I had to cancel my lesson for my daughter's birthday. She's four :D

broken in - yesterday I finally got to a freestyle and it felt soooo nice. Skating wasn't great, but the rink was empty, I put on my music and just enjoyed it.

Scarlett
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Broken in - Had a good lesson with dance coach. Basic skills are getting stronger.

Broken down- I'm going to need to suck it up and buy new boots. Anybody want to start up a fund for me?

Blackmanskating- Sorry about your test experience. Everybody else stated everything so eloquently already that I have no other sage advice. Just sending an internet hug.

jazzpants
12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Broken Down:
Oh, dear! I haven't done runthrus of either of my programs since Skate SF... and I got into a weeeee bit of trouble with my secondary coach on that... :oops:

If that's not enough... when I did do my run thru, she stopped my music right after I two footed my loop (which I have never EVER landed clean on the runthru) and said "I am going to keep doing that until you land that loop clean..." :twisted: 8O

Broken In:
My secondary coach has this sneaky way of putting mental pressure on me to do things right, b/c right after that I started the run thru again and did land the loop clean and continued with the program.

Broken Down:
However, it impacted the rest of my program and I ended up ending the program after the music ended. :frus:

Broken In:
Secondary coach noticed this HUGE smile on my face when I DID finally land that loop clean during my runthru. I admitted afterwards that I've never EVER landing that jump clean on my runthrus and that was the very first time I've ever landed on a runthru clean!

Evil secondary coach then says "Oh, is that so!?!?! Thanks for telling me that! Now I know that I'm going to make you do runthrus of that program at every single lessons... or at the very least, I will make you run thru the beginning of that program all the way thru to that loop jump. I expect you to land them consistently on the runthrus by the time you get to AN. :twisted:

And just to make her point... she made me run my program again all the way thru to my loop jump again!!! Landed it clean again!!! 8O That solved my "brain fart" on the loop REAL quick!!! :lol:

Broken Down:
We did scratch spins afterwards. Though I was spinning quick, the free leg and knees were not closed enough for her. Needless to say, I tried to do a few scratch spins afterwards where I try to bring in the free leg and close the legs tighter. It got REALLY SCARY fast to the point where I had to open out to abort or risk falling over and hitting my hip. Needless to say, secondary coach had a good laugh watching this happen and said afterwards "I did warn 'ya that it's gonna be fast now, didn't I?" :twisted: (DUH!!!) But I did make progress on that spin anyway b/c I was willing to give it a try. Either way, she's not letting up on me on this one. (Did I tell 'ya this woman likes speed? :twisted: )

Speaking of speed... I have to work on the speed of my 2 laps around the rink warmup. She wants to improve from 50 secs. to 45!!! 8O (*sigh* It's looking more and more like I need to do more morning FS sessions now! Can't practice this on a crowded public session... :roll: )

blackmanskating
12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks everybody for all the support and the internet hugs. It has been greatly appreciated.

Broken In: Been practicing by myself all this week. The sit spin is not a one day fluke!!! :o I was able to do some pretty got sit spins today. I think I finally got the hang it. (Knock on Wood) I can even go to the FO edge for 2 revs. I haven't figured out how to get back to the inside edge yet. I fall when I try.

I did a 6 or 7 rev camel spin today. I kinda lost count because it was faster than what I'm used to and lost track of my reference point. Tried a forward Camel to forward sit and got pretty low on the sit spin. I was really proud.

Ran through all my jumps up to double flip.

Broken Down:

Double toe and double loop were not working for me today.

Back Camel and flying camel were horrible. LOL

BackSit to Pancake didn't work either. No clue why. Oh well.

BlackManSkating

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Broken in: hehe! my poor ole' body!!! I did a waltz jump and landed flat, and to keep from falling backwards had to fight for the landing....and must have looked like a fool because my coach laughed when I stopped! I had hopped around trying not to fall.....

Broken down: scratch spins, only because my right hip keeps coming up. But i did manage one great one!

For the rest: Salchow is getting better, I now have permission to do them from back crossovers if I pace myself and count out...backspins are neat and I managed some cool multi-rev fast ones!

ibreakhearts66
12-06-2007, 03:10 AM
broken in
had a good lesson today. my coach had been in salt lake city for jr. nationals, so i hadn't seen her in like a week. well, in that week i actually made a lot of progress with my jumps, and i was actually able to show her! i thought it was all gonna disappear the second i got into my lesson, but it didn't!

i also did the best just straight back camels (like push straight into the back spin, no fly or forward camel first) i've ever done today! my coach wanted to see them, and i figured i was going to make an idiot out of myself (they hadn't been great when i was practicing them on my own) but they were all good!

i landed a double toe from the toe wally-like entrance (LFO3, step onto a RBO edge). i had never really tried them, but i decided to. I was afraid that it was going to be toe-axely, but apparently it wasn't :) i'm still not sure i'm converted to this entrance, but i'll keep working on it.

broken down
besides my body?

2loop2loop combos are giving me problems. i guess i think too much about the second jump so i never do the first...

camel-jump-back-camels were pathetic. i know i just need to work on them, but OY.

double flips :frus: I mean, i know i can't get too annoyed with myself bc of my toe-pick situation, but UGH UGH UGH

also, there have been a lot of LAFSC skaters at our rink the past few days because Pickwick has been closed, and thats kinda frustrating. they haven't been very courteous for the most part.

Skittl1321
12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Broken In Good lesson yesterday- started with spins. I'm not centering at all still, but my coach was very positive on the progress I've made in spins, and I'm getting more advanced corrections now than I used to. He gave me some tips for centering, but also told me to not worry about it too much as long as my tracings stay circular instead of oblong, because the ice has been horrible and our rink slopes. Got good comments on my jumps, and coach was happy with my choice of Billy Joel's "piano man" for my freeskate program. He wants me to skate ISI instead of USFS, because a lot of the competitions here don't seperate the adult levels, so if there aren't enough entries silver and gold ladies skate against prebronze (and last year at Iowa games, the men and ladies competed together, I believe.) So that means I need to start doing the ISI freestyle tests. I need to look and see if I can find the requirements for those.

Christmas show rehearsal went well. Syncrho routine wasn't awful (we skated it cold, like we will in the show) but wasn't great either. Afterwards at practice we fixed a lot of the problems and had a few great run throughs.

Broken Down In our traveling circle I must have been out of place because I pulled my arm really hard (we are at basketweave) and hyperextended my elbow. It still hurts.

The team was FURIOUS at the zamboni driver. We are supposed to leave the ice at 9:15, and exactly when the clock turned he brought the zamboni out onto the ice. We had about 30 seconds left in our program, so we hadn't gotten off yet (and the clock JUST turned). Rather than honking or whatever, he brought it out and essentially cut our footwork line off. They didn't scrape the ice before synchro because the session before ran late, but god forbid they give us an extra 30 seconds before they get the ice ready for hockey. It's one thing to honk and yell at us to get off the ice, but I could not believe the gall of him to actually get the zamboni well onto the ice (not just kind of partially on) and block us off.

Kim to the Max
12-06-2007, 09:34 AM
From Sunday...I've been trying to finish 18 performance evals, which of course I procrastinated, so I haven't had any time to update!

Broken In: Ice was EMPTY Sunday! The day after competition :) Gotta' love it. The second session it was just me and another skater which was really nice. Did some really good spins and some pretty good jumps. Also did my program...I don't often do it when the upper level skaters are on the ice because I am sooooo out of shape and my endurance is shot, but it was okay. Coach want to put more in, which will be good, but first I need to be able to do what's in there now :giveup: Some of the skaters commented on how the program was coming together, which was cool.

Broken Down: I'm having issues with my lutz...no spring up....

Was doing some axels and was told that even though they are 2-footed and not up to my standard, that they would pass the juv test here based on what the judges have been passing lately. That is quite disappointing...but at the same time it gives me hope!

Finally, last night (Wednesday), tried to go skating at the rink at the school I work at since I have another commitment tonight and won't be able to go to club ice and found that they had the schedule wrong! Boo! I'm going to try to go again tonight after my event and see if I can get some practice time in before my lesson tomorrow...

quarkiki2
12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Jessi -- so sorry your arm is still sore! Who knows what happened there...

Broken In: well, I didn't fall at practice last night.

Broken Down: But, I also skated like complete crap. I bailed on all but one attempt at a footwork sequence before a pinwheel because I've been havig to skat hella fast into the pinwheel and just barely make it... if I get there. Missed almost all of the circular footwork sequence nearly every time because the part of the circle I'm supposed to connect with is very tardy at arriving to the circle -- so much so that I'm practically skating on top of all three of them as they creep into the circle. And I guess I'm just not comfortable skipping about not knowing if I'm going to step directly onto someone I can't see.

I'm REALLY hoping to add another member to the team so that I'm not hanging off the end of our pinwheel -- I'm just not back in shape post-partum and the person I'm connected to is the weakest link on the team and she's not leaning into the pinwheel enough for me to feel stable enough to do crossovers. If either of the two people considering joining up are on the outside of me, I'll be fine...

I bumped bums with someone during a fast backwards pass-through. Messed up our end of the footwork line. Which turned out to be OK as we turned around to discover the stinkin' zamboni bearing down on us. Grrr! :x :twisted: :x

Morgail
12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Broken In:
-I skated with more speed last night than I did this past weekend. :)
-I love BO edges. FO and FI edges were good too.
-Right foot spiral is good - just have to work (again) on straightening my knees.

Broken Down:
-BI edges - yuck. But these weren't great before my injury either ;)
-Left foot spiral felt insecure, and I know I didn't have my leg up all the way. This one will take time to get back.

Rusty Blades
12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Breaking In: Did an extra lesson today - back cross-overs the other way (pushing foot crossing behind the heel of the skating foot) - would that be cross-behinds or cross-infronts ??? Had tried it once before and it felt REALLY strange but it was starting to feel ok today. Though I am not getting a huge cross, THEY'RE FAST!

Sit spins are slowly coming, upright spins were poor today, Waltz jump so-so, and the iddy-biddy Toe Loops could grow up to be a real jump! Did a couple run-throughs of the short Freeskate program - surprised I remembered since we had just started it a six weeks ago before abandoning it for last month's competition. Now we just need to add one minute to it for the next competition......

Broken Down: ME! I wish I could go home for a nap before this evening's meeting 8-)

techskater
12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Breaking In: Did an extra lesson today - back cross-overs the other way (pushing foot crossing behind the heel of the skating foot) - would that be cross-behinds or cross-infronts ??? Had tried it once before and it felt REALLY strange but it was starting to feel ok today. Though I am not getting a huge cross, THEY'RE FAST!

My coach calls those Yamaguchis because Kristi used them a lot in her old programs.

abbi_1990
12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
isnt that a closed chasse?

Rusty Blades
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
My coach calls those Yamaguchis because Kristi used them a lot in her old programs.

That's what got me started - I was watching 2004 US Nationals videos and noticed all the "high level" skaters use that technique. Having tried it, I can see why! HUGE acceleration and power that way.

sk8tegirl06
12-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Broken In: I passed pre-pre free today!! :o This is a really special test for me because this test was about ten years in the making. All the jumps felt really good and secure. I even held the landings and kept my head up...big issue of mine. I wasn't the oldest one in my test either. :D At my lesson, this morning we started loop jumps. I actually did half of a loop, maybe next week. Nerves/anxiety was not going to allow loops to happen today.
Broken Down: My scratch/one foot spin :giveup: The test was not at my home rink and the ice was very different from my usual. In the warm up it was fine, come test oh boy. I was on one foot and made it around 3 times but it was not pretty at all. I just kept telling myself don't fall, don't fall. I was sure that I would get a retest on that one. But I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Skittl1321
12-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I passed pre-pre free today!! :

Fantastic! Congratulations to you!

doubletoe
12-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Broken In: I passed pre-pre free today!!

Congratulations!! Wishing you many more successful tests to come!

doubletoe
12-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Wait, so you mean a CW back crossover would be right foot crossing behind the left foot and pushing instead of the right foot crossing in front and pushing?? What do you do with the left foot? Sort of slip it forward off the heel and up? I would be so afraid of catching my right toepick on the back of my left blade!

Helen88
12-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Broken Down -
HOCKEY ICE :twisted:
Couldn't grip my edges at all, back crossovers were all over the place, one-foot spin was non existant, and mohawks aren't clicking. Kept toppling over on my drag, and I was worried about scratching my boots (lost my white boot covers, gone off the orange ones) so I didn't get as far down as I normally do.

Broken In -
Quite quiet ice today (it normally is after school), backward curves were holding up pretty well, crossrolls were good, and forward curves were working.

jazzpants
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Broken Down:

Extremely crowded for coffee club! Plus there's rehearsals for the Christmas show at the same time as the HUGE group of people in the coffee club lessons too. Lucky for me, my lesson was right after the coffee club lesson.
Loop-loop! They're just so NOT happening... (well, I got one at the beginning and one at the end, but it was extremely tentative...) The others, I wimped out on.
Backsit... slow!!! I want them faster... and they're not that low either. And forget about doing a sit-change sit... :giveup:Broken In:

Primary coach started me on lutz again this week (actually he started it LAST week.) First attempt, he thinks, is the best, even though it's a "flutz." The others were landed and were on the BO edge, but they were pretty cheated since I have too much turn on the toe pick to get the rotation. I officially can't say that I landed a lutz, but I DID land three "lutz attempts" clean, so that's a start!
Camel spins towards the end was getting pretty good.
I landed quite a few loops clean today. And this is despite my being in a very crowded coffee club session with a lot of ice dancers and I needed space to get up my jumps. Of course, primary coach is not making me do this to program. Primary coach did reassure me that he will fix my program by cutting down my footwork a bit so I have more time to set up and complete the elements. Thank goodness!!! :bow: I now have a better chance to land my loop....ummm... loop-loop... now. ;) )

Rusty Blades
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Wait, so you mean a CW back crossover would be right foot crossing behind the left foot and pushing instead of the right foot crossing in front and pushing?? What do you do with the left foot? Sort of slip it forward off the heel and up? I would be so afraid of catching my right toepick on the back of my left blade!

Ok, lemme try to explain it this way
- CW backward on the right foot, inside edge
- left leg reaches into the circle
- right foot stays on the RBI as some weight transfers to the left foot as it begins a stoke from inside the circle, past the right heel, to the outside
- full weight goes to the right foot again as the left repeats the inside-to-outside stroke.
The right foot never comes off the ice.

In this video you can see what I am talking about near the beginning of her program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh02KrNbGaQ

techskater
12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Yep, that's a "Yamaguchi".

I think it's actually called a power push

Terri C
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Broken In:
Primary Coach commented today that out of all my jumps, my loop of all things had the most height.:??

Broken Down:
Primary Coach is now getting into her nit picky "I'm not sure you're going to pass" mode. This drove me crazy! Last week she told me that my program was not bad and all that was left for me to do is skate that same way with those three people with coats on sitting at the boards. This week- arruggh!
Just two days ago, Secondary Coach had me all fired up and ready to tackle a lion ( well this test is a bit of one for me).

vesperholly
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
- right foot stays on the RBI as some weight transfers to the left foot as it begins a stoke from inside the circle, past the right heel, to the outside
- full weight goes to the right foot again as the left repeats the inside-to-outside stroke.

In this video you can see what I am talking about near the beginning of her program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh02KrNbGaQ
That just sounds like a crossover - do you mean when the left foot goes in front a little? Or are you just talking about back crossovers in which the outside foot never lifts off the ice?

icedancer2
12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
That sounds like a cross-over to me, too.

At what point (seconds-wise) does this occur is Mao Asada's program - I didn't have the patience to keep watching for it... there are a couple of cross-overs at the beginning of the program.

Isk8NYC
12-06-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the back crossovers without picking up the outside foot at all? (That's the way I do crossovers and yes, it is powerful.)

Or, did you mean the change edge/crossunder she does after the first two crossovers?

Rusty Blades
12-07-2007, 11:01 AM
At 5 seconds into the program, she does 2.

Terminology varies in different parts of the country so I don't think there is any use looking for the "right" term since it isn't defined in The Rules (that I know of). But "ordinary cross-overs" here involve "stepping over" with each foot coming off the ice alternately, which is the way they are taught in the beginning (according to my coach who also coaches a lot of beginners).

Rusty Blades
12-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Broken In: Worked on BXO, spins, Waltz jump, Toe Loop, and Waltz/Toe combinations. Some of the Waltz/Toe combinations worked nicely, particularly when I didn't pause at all between - gonna put those in my program!

In lesson we worked on the choreography basics for the new Interpretive - got a nice RFO Shoot-The-Duck rising into a RFO Spiral (not bad for a 58 year old broad - LOL!) - can only do that ONCE per program ;)

Broken Down: Still have to work 4 hours before I can go home and VEG! :giveup:

Isk8NYC
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Terminology varies in different parts of the country so I don't think there is any use looking for the "right" term since it isn't defined in The Rules (that I know of). But "ordinary cross-overs" here involve "stepping over" with each foot coming off the ice alternately, which is the way they are taught in the beginning (according to my coach who also coaches a lot of beginners).
Most skaters think of those as back crossovers or "power" crossovers. The one-foot-at-a-time version is usually referred to as "ISI Back Crossovers" since the ISI required them in their LTS curriculum. (In teaching, I use it as a learning drill after I introduce the "real" crossover.) The USFSA Basic Skills teaches the beginning crossovers with the outside foot (CW=Right foot) remaining on the ice throughout the crossover.

I thought you meant the cross-change-edge move that she does right after those crossovers - that's cool and I'll try that when I'm feeling better.

Glad you're learning these crossovers - they are faster and more powerful since they simplify weight shifts. (Everything's tighter together, so the change can happen more easily.)

As for me, I skipped skating today because I'm still feeling sickly. I did some off-ice stretching and spin trainer stuff, though.

vesperholly
12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh! To me, those are just plain back crossovers. I'd think of "stepping over" as beginner crossovers. When the skater gets the motion of a back crossover, then start doing the foot-slide crossovers. I found very quickly that trying to teach a LTS class foot-slide crossovers, I get a whole row of 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O . By the time a skater gets to Pre-Preliminary they should be doing foot-slide crossovers, and ideally before.

Skate@Delaware
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Most skaters think of those as back crossovers or "power" crossovers. The one-foot-at-a-time version is usually referred to as "ISI Back Crossovers" since the ISI required them in their LTS curriculum. (I use it as a learning drill when I teach.) The USFSA Basic Skills teaches the beginning crossovers with the outside foot (CW=Right foot) remaining on the ice throughout the crossover.

I thought you meant the cross-change-edge move that she does right after those crossovers - that's cool and I'll try that when I'm feeling better.

Glad you're learning these crossovers - they are faster and more powerful since they simplify weight shifts. (Everything's tighter together, so the change can happen more easily.)

As for me, I skipped skating today because I'm still feeling sickly. I did some off-ice stretching and spin trainer stuff, though.
hope you feel better...it's that time of year for illnesses
Oh! To me, those are just plain back crossovers. I'd think of "stepping over" as beginner crossovers. When the skater gets the motion of a back crossover, then start doing the foot-slide crossovers. I found very quickly that trying to teach a LTS class foot-slide crossovers, I get a whole row of 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O . By the time a skater gets to Pre-Preliminary they should be doing foot-slide crossovers, and ideally before.
I HATED learning ISI style back crossovers...YUCK! It was awful lifting each foot over, but on the other hand, it was good exercise for precision foot placement. For regular crossovers, we progressed into learning the various pushes and where they were in the crossover.

doubletoe
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Got it! That's a very clear explanation. It's just a matter of shifting the focus from the over-stroke to the under-stroke. I actually find myself doing that a lot towards the end of my back power circles as I'm increasing in quickness and speed (I just didn't know they had a name!)

Scarlett
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Broken In-
Had first lesson with new coach. I like her. I think this is going to work.
Dance coach thinks I'm ready to test blues 8O

Broken down-
My skates. I skated with two pairs of tights, gel sleeves, and tied my laces uber-tight. I think I'm just going to break down and get a pair of Sp-teri KT2s.

techskater
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Got it! That's a very clear explanation. It's just a matter of shifting the focus from the over-stroke to the under-stroke. I actually find myself doing that a lot towards the end of my back power circles as I'm increasing in quickness and speed (I just didn't know they had a name!)

I thought you meant the change of edge push out/stroke. That's what Kristi made "famous". The others are just plain ol' back crossovers...

Caris
12-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Broken In

Got through half my program (the half that's done!) without messing up and keeping my timing so was very pleased. I've got all my field moves for testing done so that I'm happy with them too. Really got my spins back centered without a hit of toepick as they've been a little traveling recently. Had my first attempts at loop jump and did it well about 20 times so I was chuffed with that. I'm definitely a jumper!

Broken Down

I went on the ice with my skate guards on and fell really hard. Oooooooooouch my hip hurts so much!

dbny
12-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Hope you feel better soon!

Broken In
I went on the ice with my skate guards on and fell really hard. Oooooooooouch my hip hurts so much!

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon too!

ITA. I never did the pick the foot up style, as I started with private lessons and began thinking of BXO's as pull unders rather than cross overs. When I teach them in group, I begin with the pick up style, and switch to pull unders if necessary. I've found that one style does not work for all skaters. I have two little B7/8 kids in private lessons now who were both doing the pick up style. I showed them the pull under, and their BXO's smoothed out right away. A bigger challenge is getting rid of the half swizzle in favor of the one foot push from the over foot. I've decided to just let that happen with the kids. It's even confusing for some adults.

Broken In:
Spent my entire lesson today on F three turns; mostly FO's. Made some real progress by discovering that I'm rushing them and finally being able to wait. Actually properly checked a few. Did FI threes at the very end. After my lesson I tackled one foot spins and managed to be able to do three or four in a row after about five that I had to wait between because of dizziness.

Broken Down:
FI threes have really suffered from lack of practice. Last week's progress was gone and had to be achieved all over again. Halfway through the lesson, the rink suddenly got crowded with an influx of school kids who got out early. I wasn't skating patterns, so it didn't matter that much, but was just one more thing to pay attention to.

doubletoe
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I thought you meant the change of edge push out/stroke. That's what Kristi made "famous". The others are just plain ol' back crossovers...

So what made Kristi famous was the power crossover? Or was it something different?

Mrs Redboots
12-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Husband still tends to pick his feet up when doing back crossovers - somehow he's never really learnt the other way, although he can do it when he is reminded. My coach sometimes makes me pick my feet up as he says I don't get the weight change right if I am not thinking about where my weight is, and although he wants me to do them "properly", he wants me to do them properly properly, if you see what I mean, with my weight in the right place.

techskater
12-08-2007, 05:10 AM
So what made Kristi famous was the power crossover? Or was it something different?

No, the thing Mao did at 7 seconds in the program Rusty posted is the thing Kristi did all over her program and made famous. A lot of people had done them previously, but not as nicely, I guess, was my coach's explanation to that.

No, the thing that made Kristi famous was making Worlds in Pairs and FS at the same time, even though she was unable to medal in either discipline when practicing both at a high level. The very next season, she decided to drop pairs (and figures were dropped at the World level) and she won the World Championships over Tonya, Nancy, and Midori

jskater49
12-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Now that I've been doing the don't pick up your foot in backward crossovers for years, coach has me work on picking up my foot because I never really put all my weight on one foot and that does not make for balanced crossovers.

I discovered how bad I am on that when I started working on the Fiesta tango and the end pattern where you have to pick up your foot, put it down in front and then step forward right away. I'm so twisted up the wrong way there's no way I can do it.

j

jskater49
12-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Husband still tends to pick his feet up when doing back crossovers - somehow he's never really learnt the other way, although he can do it when he is reminded. My coach sometimes makes me pick my feet up as he says I don't get the weight change right if I am not thinking about where my weight is, and although he wants me to do them "properly", he wants me to do them properly properly, if you see what I mean, with my weight in the right place.

Yup. That's my problem. Do you have trouble with the Fiesta end pattern too?

j

Kim to the Max
12-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Thursday:

I went to the rink on campus on Thursday after an event I had to go to:

Broken down: I was falling on stupid stuff...turns and footwork...just falling! Since I went very late (got on the ice at 9:15pm!!) I was very tired and hungry :(

Broken in: I actually got to go skating! I didn't think I was going to be able to go. Jumps were okay. Spins were pretty good too :)

Friday:

Broken down: I am frustrated with that scratch/back scratch! ugh!! And...I can't get a lesson next week because of work :( We start closing down on Friday, which means no skating for me...makes me sad...but, during break, I will get to go skating more than I usually can :)

Broken in: Coach and I worked on my program. It's looking good. I was actually able to get through it twice on the session...not back to back, but that's okay :) We changed a few things, and made the footwork a bit better with the music. Moves were also good. I'm testing in February, so I'm trying to work hard, especially because lessons will be sporadic (just about every other week) over the next two months due to the holidays and my job...

Derek
12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Broken Down:
During my lesson today, my forward spins kept falling onto an inside edge, stopping me getting more than 3 rotations. Solution - keep my free hip up. Also I wasn't using my leading arm to get any whip, so I was entering a bit lacklustre. My toeloop was also ragged, and I was leaning back on the landing, prompting a two foot landing. Annoying since I had been getting great ones all morning before the lesson.

Broken In:
Passed my backward spiral and teapot (on public ice !) so I now have my Silver Passport. Bottle of wine to celebrate this evening I think :)

Terri C
12-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Broken Down:
Got my butt out of bed this am for the 6:30 am freestyle only to find myself sitting in the rink parking lot at 6:40 with the facilities manager of the rink to come ambling in the parking lot at 6:57!!!! :x That session was scheduled to end at 7:20 and since I had a hair appointment at 8:30 I was unable to stay for the 9:30 free. Therefore I went to a smaller rink in the area just to skate their later session.

Broken In:
While I didn't do my program at the smaller rink, (too crowded, cold and unfamiliar skaters) I did a decent salchow and some sitspins that better show up on Friday! One sit spin I was able to just spin and get lower and stay in position!.

*JennaD*
12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Broken down:

I felt realllly sick this morning so I skipped my freestyle lesson and went home :(

Broken in:

I PASSED MY AMERICAN WALTZ AHHH!!!!!! It was the 5th time I was trying that test and I FINALLY passed :D

jskater49
12-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Broken down:

I felt realllly sick this morning so I skipped my freestyle lesson and went home :(

Broken in:

I PASSED MY AMERICAN WALTZ AHHH!!!!!! It was the 5th time I was trying that test and I FINALLY passed :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

Mrs Redboots
12-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Yup. That's my problem. Do you have trouble with the Fiesta end pattern too?

j

Absolutely! Though mind you, that may well be partly due to Husband's (lack of) partnering skills.... I can do it okay solo.

Yay, well done! Congratulations. Time to celebrate, I suspect.

doubletoe
12-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Broken down:

Broken in:

Let's hear it for persistence! You are a great role model (as I go into my third Intermediate MIF test, LOL!).

jazzpants
12-09-2007, 12:36 AM
HOORAY!!!! HOORAY!!!! HOORAY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/h055.gif :bow:
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/h025.gif

(When you are rested and feeling better, change your sig... It's no longer your :frus: now... ;) )

kander
12-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Broken in: I went to the Brian Boitano skating specatular with Barry Manilow at AT&T park last wednesday night. It was a great time. I saw two of the most impressive things I've ever seen. The first was Brian doing a double axel at 100 mph 5 feet from the end of the ice surface. The second was Dorothy Hamil goose-ing one of the male skaters as they got off the ice. As for my own skating, my spins have been pretty good lately.

Broken down: I've been falling a lot lately. Some pretty hard. That's the price of progress I guess. I think I've lost it mentally. I'm having a really hard time pulling the trigger on jumps.

Kevin

Isk8NYC
12-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I PASSED MY AMERICAN WALTZ AHHH!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Broken In:
Finally got the kids into privates with a great coach. Now, if only I could reign in the "Chatty Cathy's" (DD) mouth so she doesn't waste her lesson time yakking away...

Skated a minimal amount of time by myself, because I spend most of it as DDs' "On Ice Guardian" protecting them from the other skaters. (I think that they just don't know the other kids. Hopefully, the Club will have some events that will help them meet the other skaters.)

Broken Down:
What skating I did was lousy. Maybe because I was sick this week, maybe because of my skates. Made an appointment for a blade adjustment, hopefully that will resolve part of the problem.

Skittl1321
12-09-2007, 12:37 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! (and sorry you are feeling sick)

Broken in Christmas show last night went really well. The power class did good, and I thought synchro felt really good- and the video showed me a lot of things I can improve on. There are definetly parts our team needs to work on (barndoor pass through!) but it went well. If you are a "friend" on youtube, I have a video up.

It was a fun show though.

Helen88
12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Congratulations JennaD!! Feel better soon :)

Broken In

Passed several more Skate UK things - almost done with level 8 and 9 now. Had my lesson changed to the morning session, and then the morning session times had changes, so everyone left half an hour early, leaving me with almost empty ice.

Due to quiet ice, got to work on my back crossovers and back edges, (with a few falls throw in LOL) without crashing into anyone too severely ;)

Broken Down

Not much!! Coach filmed my B.Crossovers, and showed me where I wasn't crossing over far enough - and they didn't look nearly as good as they felt. But we got them corrected, so all in all, today's session was pretty damn good.

Mrs Redboots
12-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Broken in: Back on the ice after ten days off due to illness! I am almost sure we're on the verge of a breakthrough in our dancing - maybe not necessarily faster, but certainly smoother, better edges, better lean and better partnering. Which will lead to increased speed, of course.

Broken down: But oh dear, it was difficult. Coming back after illness is very different to coming back after holiday - I was very shaky at first, and spent a long time just skating round focussing on technique.

Terri C
12-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Broken In:
Any pre test jitters I've started to get are getting nixed when I skate!
Looks as though all I will need to do is not get frazzled this past week and all will be fine.

Broken Down:
To add to my own pre test drama, we had no working music system again at club ice today. It gets better.... upon submitting our test session schedule to the skating director, the test chair gets a e-mail that the "automated Zamboni system only allows us to zam the ice on the half hour" Huh??
Anyone hear of this?

badaxel
12-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Broken Down:
-Still can't really find that "good" axel that I had over the summer!
-Had to rework my program, AGAIN, because it was about 20 seconds too long.
-Was really struggling with my layback and flying camel this week! Is it a full moon or something???

Broken In:
-At least I still have the "bad" axel! And, my coach really helped me straighten it out, AGAIN, by reminding me that my arms go "under the ladies"
-I can actually get through my program this early in the season! Normally it takes me weeks to work up to it, but I must be getting in better shape!
-My combo spin is getting much better! My sit spin might be bordering on awesome!
-Stretching daily has really improved my spirals! Now for that Bielman...

A little of each:
-Stormy might be leaving me for Adult GOLD! Go Stormy!

Kim to the Max
12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Broken In:

Did my program twice tonight, and each time was pretty good. I am liking the changes coach made with the footwork sequence...I don't get "stuck" on it like I did, so I can show off my spiral. Some of the skaters today comments that I have an awesome spiral and that it's probably the best in the club :D

I did some better lutzes today, which was awesome. Nice and big with some flow out of them! Wow!

Good spins today too :)

Moves in the Field were pretty awesome today. Made some corrections from my lesson on Friday. They are feeling really good...I kinda wish I could test before February :(

Broken Down:

Still not landing my axel, but then again I haven't really been focusing on them too intensely...my focus is on my program and testing pre-juv.

jskater49
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Broken In Well I actually was able to skate tonight, remembered my skates and everything.

I showed the group coach my dance stroke excercize and she liked it so much she had the whole class do it.

Broken Down - She had to tell me to keep my shoulders back because I was leaning forward.

We worked on mohawks and she had me hold a back inside edge. I did that fine, could hold it forever. When I do the mohawk, I'm so rotated I'm going around in circles. Once though, I did lean to the outside and got some control but was unable to replicate that.

Then on the waltz 8s. Oh yea. I remember those. I passed pre-pre nearly ten years ago. Probably couldn't pass them today. Surprisingly I was able to hold the 3 turn exit...my problem is that I rush the rotating on the held back outside edge.

Broken in After class it was time to practice our adult holiday number "It's the most fattening time of the year" It's really a cute number if I do say so myself. When we practiced on Friday I feared I took too long to do my jump combo - waltz, side toe hop, half flip that they were all done by the time I got the nerve to do it. But tonight I was right on time.

j

Morgail
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Broken In:
-Saw the orthopedist last week, who told me everything is going as it should. And now I'm officially allowed to skate (heehee), but should put off jumping until after the first of the year.
-Note that he said nothing about spinning:twisted: So, this weekend I did a few forward scratch spins (good with 2 out of 3 perfectly centered), sit spins and back spins (more about both of those in the Broken Down section!).
-All 3-turns were good.
-Both inside and outside mohawks were much better.
-Forward and backward cross strokes were good, though not back to where they were.
-Dances were good without the music, which probably means my counting was off.
-Spirals are decent (I think), but I'm hesitant on the left foot spiral.
-I fell and didn't break/sprain/tear/twist anything!! :D I had a click of death on backward crossovers, and fell like I do 95% of the time - on my rear with my feet in the air;) Now I feel much better about falling.

Broken Down:
-Need to work on the sizing of my Canasta pattern - it was all over the place.
-Power pulls have no power.
-Back spins were bleh. I could squeak out 3 revs about half the time. The others got less than that, or I fell out of it completely because I got on too much of an inside edge going into the spin or because I overdid the outside edge at the beginning of the spin.
-My sit spins are sad. They don't sit now. They squat. I only did two, and couldn't get much ankle bend at all. Plus, trying to get the ankle bend hurt a little. On the good side, they were fast! Didn't attempt any backsits.

LilJen
12-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Broken in:
First blast on the skates since having my ankle hardware removed about 5 weeks ago. Didn't feel bad (hooray for Bunga pads) . . .

Broken down:
but my ankle definitely feels weak. I've been too distracted lately and have fallen off the wagon with fitness and PT exercises, so time to get back into the swing of things there and build up the ankle muscles again. . .