View Full Version : The signs of (skate) breakdown?

FallDownGoBoom
12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
I think my Jackson Competitors are breaking down. This is my first pair of goodish boots, so I'm in new territory here.

I have deep, deep creases at the ankles. The sides of the boots seem stable, but the first 1-2'' of the tops are bending majorly to the outside. The whole package seems to be fine for edges, but spins (such as they are) and jumps are heading into shaky territory.

I had always pictured boot breakdown as floppiness all over the boot. But is it really this incremental damage to various parts, and it all adds up to an unstable boot?

tidesong
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
My boots always used to "break down" in the sole area aka the whole bottom tends to drop out before other things happen. I think generally all boots will tend to break down differentl because we all skate a little differently. If it doesnt feel right after a long time its probably broken down. After all since skates are supposed to support you.

Query
12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I created such creases on one pair of boots too, which I bought, used, to try out using lighter, softer boots.

One very experienced boot technician (i.e., boot fitter) said the boots were probably too wide, though he didn't look very long - I had really just come in to have work done on another pair.

Another, equally experienced, said my blades were placed incorrectly (they were), and that could cause the problem too.

I went back to the first technician who said changing the mount, then doing a heat mold to my feet might be worth a try.

Conclusion: Boot fitting is more art than science. Not all experts diagnose and solve problems the same way.

I haven't yet had a chance to play with them to find out if mounting the blades right, followed by a heat mold, will correct the problem.

Unequal pressure can also cause breakdown. You may be able to rescue the boots with proper blade mount and a heat mold if they haven't broken down too much.

I haven't answered your question, nor can anyone else without proper examination. Consult with one or more good boot technicians.

wasabi
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
It sounds like they're breaking down. Spins and jumps will always go before edges (just think of dance boots -- they're a lot softer than freestyle ones, but dancers obviously have no problem with their edges). Also, my boots always, always break down in the ankles long before they go anywhere else (in fact, sometimes the ankles break down before I even get significant creasing!) Try wrapping duct tape around the ankles of the boots (after you lace them). If that solves the problem, than they're broken down.

doubletoe
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
For me (and probably a lot of skaters), the outside ankle area of the landing boot is the first to break down. If you feel a little wobbly on jump landings and want to re-lace once or twice per session, you probably need new boots.

Sessy
12-03-2007, 01:27 PM
My old boots broke down the same way you're describing, topicstarter, except in mine the padding shifted too. Mine weren't good for doing edges anymore.

kayskate
12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I can tell my boots are shot when I start twisting my ankle on loop jump landings. The boot no longer gives the support I need to land this jump properly. Once you have been through a few pairs of boots, you can tell when your equipment is failing. This is different from a move taking a vacation then coming back. You have problems on a regular basis w a move you can do predictably.

Kay

FallDownGoBoom
12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Doubletoe and Kayskate, what you described is what I've been experiencing for the past few weeks. That's it exactly.

Thanks, everyone. I'm heading to a fitter on Friday.

This is all kind of exciting. I feel as though I've made real progress. I'll keep telling myself that as I hand over many hundred-dollar bills.

Hmmm. Anyone feel like pulling a bank job with me? We could make masks from old tights!

SkatingOnClouds
12-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi, I hope you don't mind if I hijack this slightly. I've had my boots about 2 years, and wonder if they're starting to break down. But the main thing is that I have way too much sideways movement in my boots.

It's hard to describe, but it is the ability to lean my boot right over without leaning my leg over. It causes the boot top to cut into the side of my leg. I notice it particularly on spins.

Is this boot breakdown or a problem with how my boot fits? I have a skinny part of my leg above the ankle up to where my shin & calf muscles protrude, always been quite skinny there.