View Full Version : Is 23 to old to start skating?

Tiara
12-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I am 23 and have aspirations to be a great skater. I want to learn jumps, spins, and be somewhat competitive. However, I am feeling *really* discouraged because all good skaters seem to be starting at about 5 years old! lol. I really dont know anything right now....begining 2 skating. So, basically, I want to know if starting skating at this age can lead to anything significant...or will it only be recreational fun because of a late start? Thanks in advance for any replies and experiences!!

Tiara

tidesong
12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Its never too late to start skating! And its just nice that you come to this forum, it has great support. We have a large range of people here that has started at all kinds of ages.

I started slightly earlier at 17-18ish, am 25 now and I have axel and my doubles are in various states of rotation and consistency, I have all the basic spins, layback, camel, sit, upright and I have been competiting for a while now.

If you have had another other sporting background it will help tremendously. I did not have much of that. But other people with other sport backgrounds have progressed faster than me. If you have had none its ok too, but you may eventually want to consider taking other sports up/training to supplement skating.

We (adults) do have substantial number of competitions catered for us. The USA has had qualifying adult competitions which are very competitive. In any case there are many recreational competitions around which can give you that adrenaline rush, sense of acheivement and push.

So being competitive, yes you definetly can.
Competiting with adults all over the world... yes.
Testing on traditional track, some people have made it there.
For the rest... well history is always in the making ;)

Tiara
12-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow, Thank you for such a inspirational reply! I have been an athlete all of my life, pretty extreme bike riding (50 miles/day) when training, golfing, basketball, ect. But this ice skating thing is a whole new ballgame;) . Competing with other adults would be fine with me. But I though that most of the other adult skaters started out as child skaters. You're inspirational to me! I hope i can say I have landed some axels in a few years! How long did it take for you to progress that far? Did you take group lessons? Thanks again for the post :)

Tiara

R D Lite
12-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Tiara,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm also 23 and just started skating this year. I have trained seriously and competed for years in dressage, but the death of my horse and other circumstances have forced me to take a break from that arena (pardon the pun). I had always wanted to try figure skating, and I'm definitely hooked already. I'm definitely very much a beginner, but I recently added private lessons to my group lesson, and the work is starting to pay off. :D

I have already found that a background as an athlete in another sport helps. Not only are my balance, strength, and coordination better than they might have been without that background, but I've already been through the beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels in another sport. I know it takes time and requires patience, but I know that practice and persistence will pay off. I find that some of the other adults with whom I take lessons seem to be hindered by a fear of looking silly, but I remember that while I certainly didn't look elegant the first time I got on a horse 8O , ten years down the road I was winning championships. I also coached a collegiate equestrian team, and I've found that this gives me a better understanding of my own learning preferences. I bet your own athletic background will help you tremendously in your new pursuit.

Anyway, I don't know that this is a terribly informative post, but I wanted to let you know that there are others in the same boat. Perhaps we will find ourselves competing against one another in the future!

chowskates
12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
As others have said, and as many others will point out, its not too old to start! There are many adult competitions these days, so you can compete if you want to.

I started skating when I was 19 - that was 12 years ago... I have (or had?) a consistent Axel and am (or was) trying to get the double Sal and double toe just as consistent. I have been competing at the adult competitions in Europe the past few years.

Yes, most definitely take lessons. There's nothing worse than trying things yourself only to find that you were "doing it wrong" later. Many people start with group lessons, and consider private lessons as they progress. It sounds like you are already quite athletic, so you might actually pick this up really quickly! ;)

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

Sessy
12-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Tiara, if you have the talent for it you can still learn most, if not all the double jumps and all spins.
By the way I started at 20, within a year of group lessons (actually, 6 months due to seasons) I had almost all the single jumps and two different spins. Friend of mine started at 21 and within the same time period she had made very comparable progress (her spins were better, but her jumps a little worse).

Ergo: definitely not too old. Do take ballet at some point with it though, where as kids naturally have a sort of sparkly, lively, butterfly-ish back-arched quality on ice, adults usually look a bit elephantish on ice.

Mrs Redboots
12-03-2007, 04:15 AM
Tiara, 23 is still a baby when it comes to starting skating! I, and many others, didn't start until we were in our 40s.....

kayskate
12-03-2007, 07:17 AM
I started at about 25, though I roller skated recreationally as a kid and did go to ice rinks once in a while. So I had some background. I took private lessons through my 20s and 30s w breaks for various reasons, but was pretty consistent. I learned a lot more than I ever thought. Eventually I got a so-so axel and 2sal. I turned pro in 2004 to teach groups and am now coaching.

Go for it!

Kay

P.S. Do you collect tiaras? I have been collecting since I was 14.

Derek
12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I am definitely one of the oldie brigade, having not set foot on ice until I was 50. I have just cleared two years skating, and am currently taking my UK Passport Silver level. I have noticed that I am probably the oldest 'serious' skater currently on the ice at my local rink. There is an older chap, but he is injured at the moment, so not practising.

My personal goal, as given to my coach? To be as good as I possibly can be ...

My advice, is to skate your heart out ... :)

Kim to the Max
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I say go for it!

I am currently 27 years old and while I started skating as a kid (10), I pretty much stopped skating for about 9 years (maybe skated once every 6 months or so) and I started again skating seriously in September. I am always the oldest skater on the ice, but I am always one of the folks who works the hardest. I may not be doing doubles (yet!) but I skate hard and I work at it.

As long as you are ready to work hard, fall, smile, laugh, make friends, and absolutely LOVE what you are doing....the ice is the place for you :)

kimberley801
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
23 is definitely NOT too old to start skating. I'm 23 and started taking group classes six months ago, and have recently switched to private lessons (as money allows). Once I get new skates, I'll be working on half jumps. I asked my coach about competing and learning jumps etc, and my coach said "you're still young!" :D

There are many adult competitions on local, regional, and national levels. And many rinks are offering adult Learn to Skate classes. It's a blast! I have even noticed some "coffee clubs" where adults get together and skate. It's a great way to get into shape, stay into shape, and have fun.

blackmanskating
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I started skating at 23. I am now 25. Just get a good coach and get out there and have fun.

BlackManSkating

doubletoe
12-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I feel like I have come much farther in my skating than I ever expected to when I first started, but I often wonder how much farther I would have come if I had gotten serious about my skating at 27 instead of 37 (and you're just 23!). I took my first group class at 27 and just did the group classes and a few private lessons for about 5 years, skating twice a week on public sessions. Within the first two years I got all of my single revolution jumps (through the lutz) then I quit for 5 years because I got too busy with work. When I started up again, I was 37, and that's when I decided to finally get serious. I started taking private lessons, I put together my very first program and I took my very first test. I also finally got focused on the axel. At 38 I entered my first competition at Adult Bronze level and also landed my first axel and my first double salchow. At 39 I moved up to Adult Silver, and at 40 I moved up to Adult Gold. At 42, I am currently working on fixing my double toeloop, getting my axel and double salchow more consistent and landing my first double loop (I can land it on the floor but I tend to chicken out on the ice). I can't even imagine what you will be capable of doing if you get serious now, at 23!

Ice Dancer
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Go for it! The hardest part is taking the plunge and doing it, it took me 6 months of considering it finally do it.

I started at 24, with group lessons. Then three months in added privates in and after six months dropped the group ones. I would recommend going for group lessons first, some people love them, others (like me) don't.

Just go out there and have fun, and you won't regret it, well not most of the time anyway!

Rusty Blades
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I started skating at age 56 ..... what was your question again? :??

Yes, I skated for a few years as a teen, but after 36 years off the ice, that didn't make much difference.

As a teen, I wouldn't have had a prayer of skating in a major competition - now I do (and have done). I won't be going to the Olympics (unless somebody starts "the Geriatric Olympics" LOL!!!!) but that doesn't stop me from working my tail off to be the best skater I can be.

GordonSk8erBoi
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I started skating at age 39, and while I wish I'd started 30 years earlier, it's been (and continues to be) a blast. At 23 and with an athletic background you can go quite far if you put your mind to it.

Tiara
12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
WOW, thank you all for the inspirational replies! I really feel like I can do it now after hearing all of your experiences! I also feel really welcomed to this forum since that was my first post and recieved so many great responses. I really appreciate it :)

Today I had my second group lesson, and the instructor said that he wants to move me up because I learned to do a crossover today, and can do it pretty easily....yay! I'm feeling alittle excited now, and I hope I can get to the competitive level that several of you have achieved!!

Oh and my husband just bought me some new skates for christmas....They are like new riedell silver stars with coronation ace blades. Only used 15 times and bought for a steal off of ebay :D whoo hoo!!! I just hope they arent TOO much skate for me. if they are....I'll re-sell them ;)

Tiara

vesperholly
12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
I think as long as you have reasonable expectations about what you will be able to achieve, you'll be fine and enjoy yourself. Landing doubles, competing at Adult Nationals, and passing Golds are all achievable, challenging and respected goals for you. Have fun!

Sessy
12-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Tiara, just to make sure that your skates actually fit properly. Look around, there's been a few boot fitting threads lately where some common problems are described (too large, too small, too narrow, too wide, too much room at the heel, etc)

liz_on_ice
12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Wow, Thank you for such a inspirational reply! I have been an athlete all of my life, pretty extreme bike riding (50 miles/day) when training, golfing, basketball, ect. But this ice skating thing is a whole new ballgame;) . Competing with other adults would be fine with me. But I though that most of the other adult skaters started out as child skaters. You're inspirational to me! I hope i can say I have landed some axels in a few years! How long did it take for you to progress that far? Did you take group lessons? Thanks again for the post :)

Tiara

I started at 27, but didn't get really serious about it till I was 38. It's been almost two years and I'm working on getting my single jumps now, and feeling years younger. It's never too late!

coskater64
12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Tiara, if you want to go to the olympics you are probably out of luck, if you want to be a good skater then give it a go. Be prepared for a lot of hard work, at 23 you are young enough to learn quickly and recover from the falls you will take. It all depends on what natural ability you have, it's not an easy sport and it takes a lot of sticktuitiveness. (sp)

As an example:
A young man in my area started at 18 and came in 5th at sectionals in Jr men, he has 3 triples and is a gold level dancer. He is currently 26 or 27 and is a very good skater...he is a Darling fellow.

:halo: