View Full Version : Motivation without a coach

black
12-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I figure skate because I really like doing it. I have no problem going to the rink and skating for hours. I have noticed quite a few people now, who on a patch session have little motivation to skate when their not in a lesson.

Just wondered what your views were on this; are you a self-motivator or do you need to be motivated?

Do you think this is down to the individual or perhaps certain coaching styles may influence this?

Skittl1321
12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I think it's definetly an individual thing.

I come from a ballet background where we were told NOT to practice outside of class, so we didn't practice things wrong. It's hard for me to practice skating until I master it- because I don't want to practice it wrong. I've already had multiple things I've had to redo because I have practiced them wrong, it's very frustrating and it affects my ability to practice on my own anything new. So to some extent I have to use lessons as supervised practice or else some skills would never get done.

Other than that, sometimes I can just be lazy. If I don't have an ultimate goal, I like to practice what I enjoy doing. Which isnt' a good way to build a skill set.

I need to be outwardly motivated. Whether it be an upcoming show, threat of a test, or a coach telling me what to do. I enjoy skating, but I'm not going to work on "hard" things unless I have a reason to!

I don't think coaching style affects this, though.

double3s
12-02-2007, 01:53 PM
My previous coach didn't motivate me to do much except feel bad about my skating. It's a miracle I persisted as long as I did with her. So it was all self-motivation.

Since moving and acquiring two wonderful coaches, they have definitely become a big incentive to practice. I practice harder when they are there, even if I'm not having a lesson with one of them. But it's still self-motivation that gets me to the rink, even when I know they won't be there.

Kim to the Max
12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
For me personally, I am self motivated. I love to skate, and while I really, really, really love my lessons, I know that there is no way I am going to improve if I don't practice, particularly those skills that don't come easily to me. Which is why I do quite a few scratch/back scratch spins each day and I also work on my brackets in the field pattern.

At the same time, it is also a motivation when my coach says that I'm ready to test and when we start working on a new skill...because that means I must be doing something right! :)

When I was younger however, it was mostly the opposite...I needed a coach there to get me motivated to do something....

jskater49
12-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I have no problem practicing without a lesson. I do better being told how to do something and then working on it on my own, so we tend to cover a lot of things in my lesson. But if I am stuck on something and feel I am not doing it right, I won't practice it until I can get it fixed.

HOWEVER....without a coach at all, I found that I was not motivated at all. It was too discouraging to skate without lessons.

j

TreSk8sAZ
12-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I come from a ballet background where we were told NOT to practice outside of class, so we didn't practice things wrong. It's hard for me to practice skating until I master it- because I don't want to practice it wrong.

I enjoy skating, but I'm not going to work on "hard" things unless I have a reason to!

I can't imagine a ballet program with those rules! :giveup: (And I'm professionally trained). How do you improve, though, without practicing on your own?

Anyway, I enjoy practicing - whether with a coach or not. I know that to improve, I have to specifically work on those things that I have trouble with, and practice the rest to at least maintain those skills. I'm working on Intermediate MITF right now, and I do the moves I hate every single morning as warm-up. If I don't, I know I'll never learn them to passing standard. My motivation comes from my own competitive spirit - I have to better myself everyday.

Also, since I do more than one discipline, I often schedule my practices so I don't get bored with one thing. Ex: On a non-lesson day, I'll warm-up for 5-10 minutes, work on MITF for 45 minutes, work on Jumps for 20 mins, work on spins for 15mins, work on program for 15 mins, work on dance for 30mins. If there's a competition coming up, program may get more than others, if I'm sore, I may work on jumps for less and add footwork in.

I think what I see the most for kids that aren't motivated is when all they do is work on jumps, jumps, jumps, program, jumps. Then they get tired and bored from doing the same thing over and over!

Skittl1321
12-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I can't imagine a ballet program with those rules! :giveup: (And I'm professionally trained). How do you improve, though, without practicing on your own?

I started at a ballet academy as an adult. Due to moves I went to three different ones, always taking class with children, rather than adults- 3 classes a week, and in the last year also a pointe class. ALL of them asked us not to practice outside of class. The "older" girls were told to practice outside of class, but the "developmental" levels of the "pre-pro" program were told not to. (I think the little kids who weren't in "pre-pro" didn't have a restriction.) The idea behind this was to not let bad habits form if a teacher wasn't watching.

Since all the schools had the same policy, it never occured to me to think it was unusual. At my low level I had between 4.5-5.5 hours of class a week plus rehearsals before the nutcracker/spring ballet, so it didn't seem unusual. There was plenty of time for improvement in the classroom. The higher level girls usually had class 5 days a week, taking 2-3 classes a day, so I can't imagine they really did THAT much outside of the studio.

You probably know more than me, as my ballet lasted only 3 years before yet another move and ankle problems that brought me to skating- but it's not that odd. My sister was a high level gymnast, with the same sort of schedule as the high level ballet students, she didn't practice at home.

My dance background from when I was in school was that I did practice on my own. But the goal was to look like everyone else, not to do it technically correct, due to the sort of dance. I identify more with the ballet theory I was taught for my skating, because the goal there was to do it correctly, as I feel it is for my skating, since I want to test.

Bill_S
12-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Motivation without a coach...hmmm

This is the first year that I haven't had a coach for eight years, so I'm in a good position to take stock in myself. First observation -- I tend to work on the things that I'm already good at instead of trying new things.

For example, I was practicing the brackets in the field pattern several times a week with my coach last winter. That forced me to do the #@& LBO bracket and overide the self-preservation core of my being.

Without a coach, I'm merely avoiding them. Ahhhh. Life's so pleasant without the LBO bracket!

However, I'm not making any progress toward gold moves.

So a coach does indeed provide motivation (for me) when the going gets tough.

kayskate
12-02-2007, 07:11 PM
I am in this situation now b/c I cannot afford coaching. I have no problem practicing and working on skills. I had a coach for 10+ yrs. I learned many skills from those coaches that I now practice on my own. However, I think I would need some coaching to do a program or something, but that is not what I am working on right now.

I absolutely love skating and can focus on what I am doing for hours. Some days I do mostly MITF, others dance, others spins and jumps. I try to vary it and focus on different things on different days. Some times I will work on challenge skills and other times I will just have fun w things I can already do well.

Kay

miraclegro
12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
I think i do quite well on my own, since i don't have a big support group of people my age here, anyway...

So, mostly, even if i wind up being temporarily coach-less, due to schedules that can't mesh or other things, i always know, i can improve even on the things i am doing.

If i only had more time....

the only thing that can hold me back at times, is if the rink isn't playing any music. i NEED music!

teresa
12-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm a self motivator. I appreciate my coach being around to help me. In fact, I can't imagine not having her help. I need her to teach me new skills, fix my old, and keep me motivated. Saying that, I love skating with or without her. I'm just better when she is.

teresa

SkatingOnClouds
12-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I am very self-motivated, I work hard at my skating, at improving my elements. Having said that though, I don't reckon I would work so much on things I find difficult if I didn't have a coach.

Sometimes though, especially in a public session, I need to play around a bit, and have some fun. Much as I love skating, sometimes I make it hard work, so it can be good to have a slack session every now and then.

Scarlett
12-03-2007, 06:54 AM
I need a coach for motivation. I work a lot harder in the presence and tend to play around more on the ice when I'm just practicing. That is one of the reasons this move has been difficult for me. I don't practice as much because my friends are not on the ice. Practice sessions used to involve individual practice and then and some friendly advice and then some chatty and then back to individual practice. I could keep that up for 2 hours. Now at the new rink, I run through skills on basically dead ice with absolutely no feedback and am bored and back off the ice in 40 minutes.

icedancer2
12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I am one of those skaters that absolutely LOVES taking a lesson. My primary coach recently decided to quit one day (she is older and desperately wants to retire, but darn, it, she just LOVES teaching!) - for two weeks I felt kind of hopeless, wandering around, etc. Then just last week she decided to come back, with a new attitude and a new zest for teaching, -- I had a lesson and it was great!

I also have a dance coach who for whatever reason, we were never able to get together for a lesson - he would overbook and he kind of thought I wasn't that interested so I wouldn't get a lesson (well, yeah, I had an njury last year and have problems with my back, etc., for the two years I've been with him). I finally had a lesson with him yesterday and it was great!

BUT I am also one of those types of skaters who doesn't just like having a lesson - I have to have something to practice so that I can show the coach for the next time that I have been working on whatever it is that we are working on. My lessons have gotten kind of scattered, actually - I've been taking lessons for so long (16 years?) that sometimes it's hard to know what to work on - basics? Skills? Figures? dance? But it is always fun and having a lesson hopefully keeps me from getting into bad habits.

I don't like having a lesson, however, that is basically supervised practice. I don't need that. Of course, when my primary coach is around she is always keeping an eye on you no matter if you are in a lesson or not - you will see her working with some student across the rink, you are working at the other end, she will see you do something wrong and yell out your name and what the correction is - it's like she has eyes in the back of her head or something! I know some people would feel intimidated by that, always wondering when she is looking at them, but she is so nice about it and we always laugh.

This is why I love having a coach.

Now I just have to see if I can afford all of this.

Hmmmm.:roll:

Ice Dancer
12-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I need a coach for motivation. My coach was away for two weeks recently (the first time I was without her) and I moped about on the ice not really sure what to do! It was the most bizaare feeling.

That said, when things are going well with my skating I am self motivated and do things for me, however as soon as the going gets tough, I need a kick up the bum!

Sessy
12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Practicing by myself: not a problem.
Practicing in group lessons with only sporadic attention from a coach: not a problem.
Practicing for longer than a few weeks without any coaching: a problem, I get both bored and frustrated, having met my immediate goals and seemingly not coming closer to meeting the larger goals. Need somebody to point out the problem and give me some new stuff to practice once in a while.

TimDavidSkate
12-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Its my huge problem - I have to FORCE myself to jump if I was by myself on a practice session. And I end up only doing one pass per jump and I would leave 20 min after a session. :giveup:

Rusty Blades
12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
.. are you a self-motivator or do you need to be motivated?

Oh, very much self-propelled! An important role of my coach is to help me achieve some degree of moderation. THE most important role of my coach though is to keep me from being too self-critical.

I have heard numerous coaches here say they love working with adults because adults WILL practice on their own instead of goofing around with their friends all session.

fsk8r
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I have heard numerous coaches here say they love working with adults because adults WILL practice on their own instead of goofing around with their friends all session.

My problem with that, is that if my lesson is too late in a session, I've worked so hard on my own, I've run out of puff by the time I get to the lesson. The kids work and play, whereas I tend to work and work. I've introduced a rule of 15mins of play at the end of the session and that's for messing around with all those things I'd love to do, but either can't from physical constraints which need pushing, or am normally too scared to try. But it's nice to relax doing something different. But I agree that too long without a coach is a problem. I do like having a couple of week breaks from lessons, and coming back and being able to show definite improvement.
There's also no fun in skating, if you can't show off to your coach with a ta-da moment when you suddenly get it. I like my ability to surprise my coach, it makes me feel like I am making some progress when they underestimate me.

Caris
12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm another one that's hugely self motivated, perhaps coming from years of elite sport where you were expected to be working hard at 100% at all times whether your coach was with you at that moment or not. It was instilled that hard work = results and it was up to you to put it in. I also then went into coaching and practiced the same philosophy with my students, so I guess that's why I took it to the rink too!

I actually get a bit twitchy If I'm stood talking to someone for more than a couple of minutes when I'm at the rink as I have skating to be getting on with!

I'm working toward my NISA 1 so tend to go through all the field moves 6 times each first, then work my spins and jumps that I have consitently, 10 of each. Then program, finally new skills.

I think I'm happier when I know exactly what I'm planning to do, but different approaches work for everyone!

GordonSk8erBoi
12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I've found that those times when I was without a coach for some period of time (a few months) that I was really unmotivated to work on the elements that I know need work. I skated but I didn't work to improve.

Having a coach and being somewhat accountable helps keep me motivated and focused.

momsk8er
12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I am so self motivated. I even give myself homework assignments. Like working on backspin, I give myself assignments to use spin trainer and do 50 releves per day. Coach laughed when I told him that. And working on alternating 3s, I've given myself the assignment to go back and work on the 3 turn figure 8 until I can do that once more, at which point I may work on the outside alternating 3s again.

jskater49
12-04-2007, 11:18 AM

That's funny because where I skate it's the opposite. I hate skating with adults because they stand around and chat and I have to be rude and just skate away because I'm not paying $17 an hour to chat. When I skate with the kids (in the early am with the serious kids) they work and that motivates me.

j

Skittl1321
12-04-2007, 11:43 AM

You know, when I was in learn to skate- this was certainly true. I practiced 2 hours a week for my 30 minute lesson. Most of the other kids did not come and skate at all except their lesson, maybe a few would stay and skate 30 minutes afterwards.

However, now that I am in freestyle 3- I think the kids definetly outpace me in good practice. I don't stand around and talk, but I am very guilty of only practicing what I am good at. Loop jumps hurt my ankles, so I don't do them. Backspins take the fun out of skating, so I don't do them... The kids seem to truck away at things because they want that axel. I know I'm not going to have one, so I don't worry about it.

I AM better at practicing moves than most of the kids are. I rarely see kids working on moves unless they are with a coach. I could do moves for the entire hour. Freestyle is too frustrating!

Helen88
12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty self-motivated; I practically beg to go skating on Thursdays (the only days I have free to practice after school, other than Sundays when I have a lesson). But although I've only had a (private as opposed to group)coach for - what; four lessons? - I already feel even more intent on making her proud. But I know I can't do that without practicing and getting better.

stardust skies
12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I figure skate because I really like doing it. I have no problem going to the rink and skating for hours. I have noticed quite a few people now, who on a patch session have little motivation to skate when their not in a lesson.

Just wondered what your views were on this; are you a self-motivator or do you need to be motivated?

Do you think this is down to the individual or perhaps certain coaching styles may influence this?

To me it's pointless to go skating without regular lessons because I won't be making any progress and eventually with enough time skating on my own, my jumps will gradually start to get worse.

If I'm on the ice for extended (3+ days) periods of time without a coach, I don't train too hard. There's no point and I risk doing more harm than good to my technique. Once you pick up a bad habit even as simple as a slight lean on a jump landing and don't get corrected on it for a few days, it becomes hard to fix it.

PS: as for the ballet debate..I'm professionally trained as well and spent many summer away at company's ballet camps, and through all of the years have always been told NOT to practice things outside of class, per fear of promoting bad alignment and the like. The only thing we've ever been encouraged to do outside of class is stretch- but definitely not practice. Not to mention, virtually no home has the proper floors (spring floors) for it.

Award
12-05-2007, 08:07 PM

This could be due to either just 1 factor, or even a combination of factors. Some people just like to skate. Some people that are forced to skate or forced to learn to quickly can get put off and then develop a dislike for it. Others may think it is just a chore. So basically, it can be anything.

As for practicing either in lesson time or not in lesson time, it just depends on the individual. Some individuals are flexible and can easily adapt and change their habits. Others may find it hard to change habits. Not everybody is the same.

doubletoe
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I think it's easy to be motivated when you can just practice the things you like and you don't "have" to do things you find difficult or unpleasant. However, in order to really improve, we need to practice the difficult, unpleasant things, too. Maybe those skaters who seem unmotivated outside of their lessons are just avoiding those unpleasant but necessary things.

kayskate
12-06-2007, 07:01 AM
I have been taking a list w me to the rink. I printed out the requirements for the adult track FS and MITF tests. I also have some dance patterns and a list of things I want to work on. I put the lists in the players' box w my water and tissues. Even in a 2 hr session I can't get through everything. Some of the skills take more reps than others.

Kay

peanutskates
12-06-2007, 03:04 PM
this really frustrates me... but I am most motivated with friends. if I have my friends practicing with me/watching me at the rink, I feel happier, and I skate much better. I do try to exploit that by pushing myself when I don't see them (as in, come on I have to practice so I can do it the next time) but all my motivation comes from... well, showing off, really. it does sounds bad. but that's what motivates me.
as for coach motivation, i just get perfectionist when I'm near him. i hate it when i think he's watching me in practice if im doing something I'm bad at. i know i know, he sees plenty of my bad skating in the lesson.. but i still dont like him (possibly) seeing me bad outside of the lesson.
interesting reading other points of view!

patatty
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I am very self-motivated - I skate 4-5 days a week, but only have 1 lesson a week. When I practice, I work very hard and really try to cover everything. I noticed however, that if my coach goes away and I miss a week or two, my motivation decreases dramatically. There were a few times this summer that my coach was away for 2-3 weeks at a stretch, and I really got stuck in a rut and lost my desire to practice.