View Full Version : 2007 Achievements/2008 Goals

jazzpants
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Yup! It's that time again!!! Time to list your achievements from this year and set goals for next year.

This is my goals from last year...

Goals for 2007:

Land a loop consistently!!!
Land a flip consistently!!!
Get a lutz!!!
Get a good camel spin and MAYBE a camel-sit.
Skate FASTER and prettier!!!
Skate with more CONFIDENCE!!! The fear factor is starting to crack a bit. I'm not as afraid on falls, but I got a ways to go to finally conquer that fear.
STAY HEALTHY
Start on Silver Moves
Get a good start on back sit
STAY HEALTHY
SAVE $$$ for AN. I don't knowwhich one. I'm hoping for Chicago, but it's likely I'll end up going to whichever one is in 2008. (I hope it's at where I hope it's at. ;) )
SAVE $$$ for new boots. My purple ones are getting old and I may or may not get new ones. I might just fill in the tougue to get a bit more support in 2007, but I definitely need to start saving for new purple boots.
And did I mentioned STAY HEALTHY??? :lol:

Achievements for 2007

Well, I'm happy to say that the first two goals are finally halfway getting there! I'm at least landing the flip and the loop a lot more often than before.
Lutz: Well, I've landed one or two on a good day... including one just this past Thursday! But so far, it's still a pipe dream...
Camels are at least spinning consistently around at least a couple of revs and more like 3 revs. before I end up dropping back down to a scratch (or on bad days, it doesn't even get past 2 revs.) But it's definitely coming along!!! However, camel-sit is still a dream. I only get them a couple of times in the last six months. :cry:
Skate faster and prettier... Hmmm? Well, I am faster. Prettier... is in the eyes of the beholder. :halo:
ALL my coaches, including my NYC coach, thought that I'm skating faster and have more flow and confidences in my edges, FWIW. That's good to know. :bow:
Silver Moves: Both primary and secondary coach started me on Silver Moves. Oh, dear! It's gonna be a BEAR getting that FO mohawk and the BI3's... :frus: (Forward power pulls are getting somewhere though... They're definitely starting to get there.) And if you have seen my artistic program video, my spirals are another big pleasant surprise this year. All that stretching at the gym...
Back sit spin: This is the surprise one! I actually am starting to get one. Albeit wimpy one and probably won't count on the Bronze FS test if I was doing a back sit instead of a regular sit spin. But it's good enough to make its way into my FS program this year. :mrgreen:
I'm having a hard time saving up for AN AND for new boots! Apparently this year there's been two major home maintanance/repairs that cost a lot of money. But I do have enough to make it to AN if I get roommates and keep the cost of hotels/rooms/B&B/etc. under a certain amount. I did get my boots looked at by Harlicks and there are some things they can do to reinforce the skate more until I need to get new boots. So I'm not too worried about getting new skates right now.
I did compete as a Bronze lady for the VERY FIRST time in November! What an experience skating with a FINE group of Bronze ladies in both the FS and the artistic events. I definitely have a lot more work to do to get my skating to the point where I would be proud as a Bronze lady. But for now, I'm happy to be skating in the same events as them.
I've been playing with NYC coach's bracket exercise from last year. I should have something to show him this year, though it's not gonna look pretty or smooth. I think he'll be happy with it. (Well, at least he won't give me a hard time about it.) :halo:
And last but certainly not least... well, we'll see. The year hasn't ended yet. So far, I'm staying healthy this year. (Knock on wood.) Pray it STAYS that way!!!2008 Goals:

I still would like to get my loop and flip consistent to the point where I can comfortably land them clean "at will" like I do with my waltz, toe loop and salchow now.
Lutz: I would like to land these guys at least as often as I do my loop and flip now. I won't count on landing them as consistent as I do with my waltz, toe loop, and salchow, though it would be REAL nice if that were to happen.
Have a true backspin on a BO edge and not just a fake one where it rocks from a BO and goes into a FI edge.
Back sit: Lower!!! Lower!!! (And faster with more revs. too!!! And can I please do it from a forward sit change foot to a back sit spin too? :halo: )
Camel: Please let it be strong enough to transition to a camel-sit! Please, pretty please??? :halo:
I hope to make some more progress on Silver Moves. But since I'll be working mostly on my getting jumps and spins for my AN programs in the next few months, I think it will likely be in the back burner for 2009. We'll see.
Make more $$$ so I can continue to afford my lessons, ice time and PT.
STAY HEALTHY!!! :halo:

Kim to the Max
12-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Congrats Jazzpants on the many accomplishments from 2007!!!

Here's my List:

Goals from 2007:

Get back on the ice -- Complete!!
Get back to level I was at before I stopped skating -- Complete!!

Goals for 2008:

Test Intermediate Moves -- February
Test Pre-juv Freestyle -- February
Land my axel, hopefully consistent, but I would take just landing one right now
Test Juv Freestyle
Start double sals/double toes
Lose more weight -- 20 down, about 15-20 to go!
Test Novice Moves

looplover
12-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Congrats Jazzpants:

Well my 2007 were in my sig:

Prebronze moves - Done
Prebronze freestyle - Done
Bronze moves - Done
Bronze freestyle - not done, but that's a technicality - no test till Feb
Lutz - landed a tiny one
Axel - no but I did one in my living room
Camel - haven't tried since April
Back sit - not even attempted
Stop staring down at ice - getting there
AN2008 entrant in Bronze Class III - nope, can't test in time and also missed the deadline for the one Terri C told me about :-/

On to 2008!

Bronze FS
Silver moves
Silver FS
It's early, so I'm going to add Gold moves to this
Tempted to add Gold FS to this but I won't for now. Maybe in 6 mos.
Solid backspin
Back sit
Axel
Lutz
By the end of 2008 - a double toe
Be able to do a split
Camel
Camel-sit
Don't break anything

techskater
12-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Looplover- If you can get to Chicago in January, there's an all adult test session on 1/12 (convenient - it's a Saturday too!)

SynchroSk8r114
12-02-2007, 09:25 AM
I love this time of year! :halo:

Here were my 2007 goals...
2007 Goals:
- Pass my Intermediate freestyle
- Pass my Starlight Waltz and Paso Doble
- More consistent double salchow
- Land clean double toeloops
- Better spins (more revolutions, speed, better positions, etc.)

I didn't want to set too many since it's almost September and there's only three more months left this year...

Wow...kind of forgot to check this out and now I can't believe how many of them I've accomplished!

Accomplished Goals:- Pass my Starlight Waltz and Paso Doble
I passed both the Starlight Waltz and Paso Doble at a test session held this past October. Now I've only got the Blues to test, which I'll be doing on Dec. 12.

- More consistent double salchow
I've been working very hard with another freestyle coach, in addition to the one I have now, and I've definitely made some imporovements on these. Sure, not everyone is landed, but I'm doing way better now!

- Better spins (more revolutions, speed, better positions, etc.)
My flying camel and combination spins have greatly improved, but I can always get them faster with stronger positions and more revolutions, so I'm going to keep working hard to make them fabulous!

2007 Works in Progress:
- Pass my Intermediate freestyle
Taking this test on December 12 along with the Blues, my last Pre-Gold dance...

- Land clean double toeloops
That same coach that I got hooked up with along with my regular coach has been helping me with these. I've still got some improvements to make on these (such as not landing flat-footed), so I hope I can get one of them for 2008...

Unexpected Goals Met in 2007:
1. Landing clean double loops out of nowhere...OK, with help from my newest freestyle coach
2. Learning the Viennese Waltz, the first of my Gold dances
3. Having three coaches, which I guess isn't really a goal, but it's something noteworthy to me since I've been getting much better with the help of my second freestyle coach (an 1980s Olympic pair skating gold medalist)

2008 Goals:
Alright, so here's my 2008 goals that I'd like to have accomplished by the summer...

1. Land a clean double toe loop
2. Begin working on my Novice freestyle
3. Pass at least two Gold dances
4. Pass my Blues if I don't get it at the December 12 test session
5. Improve all my spins (speed, positions, revolutions, etc.)
6. Continue to land double loops
7. Land a double-double combination jump
8. Completely get rid of the scrape on the set-up of my axel
9. Continue to improve the consistency of all my jumps

Skittl1321
12-02-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think it was posted yet: so here is a link to the 2007 goals thread:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24547&highlight=2007+Goals and http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22237&page=2&highlight=2007+Goals

From the two threads:

Skating:-Commit to weekly private lesson as well as 2 weekly practice session (one the same day as lesson)
-Test PreBronze MITF and pass check
-Teach tots classes, and work with other instructors to become a good skating instructor. check (well I think I'm "good". I was given my own classes and parents often complement me.)
-Improve waltz jump and toe loop into recognizable jumps. Learn proper entrance into 1 footed spin. check, almost. My 1 foot spin entrance isn't too bad. My waltz jump is looking much better, but my toe loop is a much stronger toe waltz. I'm back to the beginning on that one
-Continue journaling about all lessons, and try to journal about each skating session I've been slacking here, but have kept up the journal.

So by the end of the 2007-2008 season I hope to have I guess I have some time to work on a few of these things as the season is not yet over:
#1. Pass PB Freestyle test. check
#2. Be able to cross leg in upright forward and back spin. half of a check. I can cross my leg into a forward scratch. My back spin barely exists
#3. Be able to do something someone other than my coach would be able to tell is a sit spin. check, but needs lots of work
#4. Increase height on waltz jump and toe loop. Get off the ground on half lutz, complete a loop jump not really. I've increased speed into my waltz and toe (waltz) but no height. No height on the half lutz, and no progress on the loop

My general goals are the year are to work my hardest in power class, and to get a feel for synchro skating. Check. The power class is more of an edge class, but my power is improving. I really enjoy synchro, but am not sure I will continue

My goals for 2008
1. Have a recognizable backspin
2. Have a 3+ revolution sit spin in position
3. Be able to do a change edge spiral
4. Pass Bronze Moves in the Field
5. Fix my toe loop so it is no longer a toe waltz
6. Increase my general strength and flexibility

mikawendy
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Here are links to previous years' threads:

End of 2006 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22236)

End of 2005 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19258)

Another thread from end of 2005 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19112)

End of 2004 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=16278)

End of 2003 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=12051)

End of 2002 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=4996)

TreSk8sAZ
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
2007 Achievements:
Got my spins and flying spins back after surgery
Lost some weight and got up to 3 sessions after the surgery
Got more comfortable with Intermediate MITF
Got completely comfortable with the parts of the program we have done, especially perfecting the footwork.

Then, it all got screwed up when I was forced off the ice for another 2.5 months. So,

Goals for 2008:
Get axel consistent
Enjoy ANs in Lake Placid, place in top 5 in one of my events (ha, ha - no one said these had to be realistic!!)
Get dbl sal and loop consistent
Better, faster spins
Harder spin combos
Stay injury free!
Stay skate-problem free!
Pass Intermediate MITF
Pass Gold FS

liz_on_ice
12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I wasn't on the board yet in 2007, but my goal was to pass FS2 (check!) and get a good way towards FS3.

My coach and I discussed plans in Sept, and we agreed to switch tracks after I pass FS3 to USFSA and start preparing to test pre-bronze. By then I'll
switch to summer coach and figure out when to go for bronze. I think he'll want me to compete at pre-bronze for a bit first.

So, the 2008 checklist:

pass FS3
keep weight down
pass pre-bronze moves
and pre-bronze free

vesperholly
12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
2007 goals:

- NUMBER ONE PRIORITY: Pass Junior MIF passed in January!
- Pass Silver FS and maybe Gold FS testing Silver Dec. 11
- Land clean double sal not landed, but I have been rotating/one foot landing them ... before falling
- Work in earnest on double toes, not just once every four months hahahahaha

2007 achievements:

- Passed Junior MIF and Rocker Foxtrot
- got axel consistent
- landed my first axel-loop combination, which is starting to get consistent
- skated pretty well at Sectionals despite being really sick
- got hired as a permanent Learn to Skate coach at my home rink, and finally started coaching for a woman who'd been promising to hire me for her program months ago

2008 goals:

- land my axel in my program at Sectionals, and ANs if I go
- pass remaining Silver dances (hopefully only the Tango) and maybe Starlight, and Gold FS
- go to the gym at least once a week
- work on flying camel the proper direction more (I do it CW)
- get back sit stronger, to the point of where I can confidently include it in a combination spin

Scarlett
12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
2007 goals:

1. Test pre-bronze moves and free
2. Land loop, flip, and lutz
3. Manage proper sit spin and consistent camel spin
4. get program and consider competing it

2007 accomplishments:
1. Passed pre-bronze moves and free
2. Have consistent loop. Have fickle flip and lutz.
3. Competed program at pre-bronze level. Came in 3rd. Almost died of stage fright. Did an ISI competition (duet) and had a ball.
5. Finally managed a toe-loop as opposed to a toe-waltz and can add loops to the end of waltz and salchows.

2008 goals:
1. Test preliminary dances
2. Sit spin
3. Pass ISI 3/4
4. Begin work on the axel.

SkatingOnClouds
12-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I couldn't find my having posted about my goals for 2007. I am sure that my goals would've been:

get a consistent flip and lutz back,
a decent camel spin,
and probably getting an axel and maybe a double.

What is interesting is that I really haven't achieved much in 2007, in terms of new elements mastered or elements I could do 20+ years ago successfully regained.

What I have done though, is become a much better skater in lots of ways. This is more difficult to quantify, and more difficult for me to recognise, nevertheless, it has been a really important year for my skating.

For 2008 my goals will be:

1. fix my salchow timing so I have a powerful jump,
2. get my lutz back consistently and without a weird change of edge on the
entry or chickening out 1/2 the time,
3. get all my basic spins happening reliably, even when skating badly;
camel/sit, change sit, flying camel, maybe jump sit,
get my backspin actually spinning instead of twizzling,
4. Axel - to have landed at least one cleanly be year end,
5. compete without total nervous breakdown prior to taking to the ice
6. start working on at least one double jump, and;
7. continue my journey to being the best skater I can be, whatever that
may mean and wherever that may take me.

chowskates
12-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Hmm... skating goal for 2008?
First would be to get back on the ice after baby :lol:
Next is to land the double loop! :roll:

BatikatII
12-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Well it seems I didn't post any goals for last year but I've just read back to the year before (Dec 05) and see that I still don't have a lutz or a decent camel or backspin.8O Better get working on those!

However I did pass my interbronze field moves in January of 2007 which was my goal for last year as it was final chance before test changes. That credited me with level 4 in the new system and I was so thrilled as I'd never have believed when I started skating that I would ever be able to do those moves.

My achievements for 2007 then have to be:
passing interbronze field moves - now NISA level 4
getting a loop-loop combo and a flip-loop combo
landing loop-loop and flip in competition

Additionally last year I got a new dance coach and competed a new free dance.

Goals for this year

free skating:
pass level 2 elements and free (including the dreaded backspin!)
get a decent camel and backspin
learn the lutz

I'm going to work on level 5 moves but not intending to try and pass those this year.

dance:
pass level 4 free dance
pass level 2 variation and start on a level 3 original dance
pass level 3 and 4 compulsories if I have the time.

Sounds like a busy year!

jskater49
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Keep on working on Bronze moves...maybe test in a year...

Get that tuck behind so I can test the cha cha

3 revolution spin from back crossovers.

Learn a salchow.

that is quite enough. Probably too much

j

Okay, first place, I posted this in August so it hasn't been a while year and I have achieved done of those. Except I am working on the Bronze moves and they well may be ready by next August.

Still don't have the stinking tuck behind BUT I can do a mohawk in the Swing, so I just kind of adjusted by goal.

Close to 3 revolutions in my spin from back crossovers.

I have no desire to learn a salchow.

So for 2008

1. Pass Bronze moves

2. 3 revolution spin with my foot IN FRONT from back crossovers.

4. Pass the Swing Dance...and cha cha.

And I am just fine with my waltz jump and half flips and half lutz and cheated toe loops in my program...I just want to keep skating my little fs program and enjoy it. I'm in no hurry to learn any more jumps.

j

doubletoe
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
- Work in earnest on double toes, not just once every four months hahahahaha

- get back sit stronger, to the point of where I can confidently include it in a combination spin

Hey, Vesperholly, are you sure you aren't ME? :lol:

Here are mine:

2007 Achievements:
- Qualified for Championship Gold at Adult Sectionals 8O
- Medaled in Championship Gold at Adult Nationals 8O 8O
- Got the very first level 4 element called at AN (my secret goal for 2007!) :D
- Fixed my toeloop takeoff (I think. . . I hope!)
- Learned my first difficult spin variation
- Finally able to do the splits for the first time

2007 UN-achievements:
- Axel and double sal did not get more consistent. :frus:
- Double toe continues to be successfully avoided
- Flying camel still wonky
- Back sit still a major problem :frus:
- Intermediate MIF test continues to haunt me (I have one more chance to conquer it before the end of this year, though!)

2008 Goals
- Get at least one spin called as level 2 at AN
- Land the axel consistently in competition
- Land the double sal cleanly at Sectionals & AN
- Get credit for every toeloop this season
- Solve my reverse sit problems once and for all
- Start landing the new & improved double toe
- Fix my wonky flying camel
- Land a double loop (off the harness!)
- Start on a new program that stretches me artistically
- Master a new spin variation

Morgail
12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Mine won't be too exciting since I missed out on skating the past few months...

2007 goals:
Dance:
-pass Rhythm Blues and Canasta Tango - didn't test
-start working on next level of dances - not met
-point my toes more in dance - not met
-get better progressives - not met

Moves:
-pass Silver Moves - didn't test
-start working on Gold Moves - MET!! yay! but this is how I injured myself :lol:

Freestyle:
-pass Silver Freestyle - didn't test
-get lutz a) consistent and b) unflutzed - partly met: Lutz was consistent as of September 2!! But it was still flutzed about half the time.
-make all single jumps higher - partly met - I got my flip higher, but that's about it
-start working on axel - not met
-get salchow timing under control - partially met - this is better, but not perfect yet
-get a 6-rev backspin and 6-rev camel - partially met - I think I got a 6 rev backspin, but I usually only hit 3-4 on the camel
-make camel faster and straighten my legs - not met
-make camel-sit stronger with a real sit - not met
-lower both forward and back sit spin - not met
-get a 3-rev forward sit - 3-rev backsit - not met
-get a 3-rev back camel - not met
-get my layback to layback more - not met

Other:
-improve my forward crossovers so they aren't so steppy - not met
-get higher spirals - not met
-get close to being able to do splits - not met
-lose 10 lbs - not met - I'm just happy I maintained after not skating!

2008:
-work on anything I didn't get in 2007!
-compete at least once
-have Gold Moves close to testing standard
-get close to landing axel
-start working on a double
-test at least one dance from the next level up
-start flying camel
-work on back camel-back sit
-be able to do forward and back catch-foot spirals on both feet
-be able to do a catch-camel
-do splits
-lose another 10 lbs

Rusty Blades
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
For the 2006/2007 season my objective was to skate in the Canadian Adult Nationals. DONE. With only 14 months of skating experience, I skated a Pre-Introductory Interpretive at C.A.N. in March and finished 4th. Also tested the Pre-Intro Interpretive and passed.

The goals for the 2007/08 season are/were:
To enter "Super Skate" (a local Open). Done Entered Introductory Interpretive - 3rd Place,
To enter the Manitoba Open in February, and
To return to C.A.N. in April

Terri C
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
AN2008 entrant in Bronze Class III - nope, can't test in time and also missed the deadline for the one Terri C told me about :-/

No you did not!!! The deadline is tomorrow!!

I'll post my achievements for 2007 and goals for 2008 next week- I may have something big to add by then! ;)

looplover
12-03-2007, 05:49 PM
No you did not!!! The deadline is tomorrow!!

I'll post my achievements for 2007 and goals for 2008 next week- I may have something big to add by then! ;)

Oh, I thought you were with a different club!

Unfortunately as it turns out it doesn't matter...I have to take a skating break due to finances (lost second job) :cry:

miraclegro
12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
My goals are:

1) to stay vertical and have good edges in my Jan. Silver Adult competition!
2) to pass Gold MIF
3) to work on other edges on the ice without just doing MIF
4) to get an AXEL!
5) to get the back leg lower on that blasted lutz!
6) to get decent choctaws
7) to inherit some money to increase my training on this wildly expensive sport! (ha ha)

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2007, 07:26 AM
It's funny how an injury can change one's perspective.

I just want to be able to keep skating, work on things without becoming depressed or too frustrated, and be able to compete in one aspect or another.

I'll think about goals later....have to dig out 2007 goals and refresh my memory.

Sessy
12-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Achievements 2007:
Loop, flip and lutz, which I've probably lost again now.
My first skating related fracture (and hopefully the last!)
Half-loop, 1-foot-spin, changefoot spin, camel spin, sort of a layback-ish thingy...
Forward 3's very solid, back 3's there, series of 3-turns there and some toepick step steps
Forward backward outside inside edges
Forward and backward crossrolls
Actual spirals instead of upright-stick-leg-out-behind-you things
Solid outside and inside mohawks
Solid forward crossovers (but not deep), good deep back crossovers (but not very smooth).
Other stops than 2-foot snowplow.
Powerpulls back and forward
Good-bye back pain from spine injury! (thanks to strong back muscles from all the spirals)
Good edges, decent speed, more flexibility, and a few neat tricks just to show off
An inconsistent change-edge spiral

Goals 2008:
Cured ankle
All singles including axel
All basic spins including sit consistent, centered.
Test interbrons MIF and freestyle
Get a Biellmann spiral as it should be officially, on both feet
Get my foot on my forehead in a biellmann on the good side
Consistent change-edge spirals
Y-spiral
Catchfoot spin, layback spin
Compete (at anything other than club competitions)

My perspective hasn't changed that much with the injury. Getting rid of the injury is just one more thing on my hopes and aspirations list. Though I have learned a bit more patience.

jenlyon60
12-04-2007, 08:30 AM
It's funny how an injury can change one's perspective.

I just want to be able to keep skating, work on things without becoming depressed or too frustrated, and be able to compete in one aspect or another.

I'll think about goals later....have to dig out 2007 goals and refresh my memory.

I Agree 100%.

I didn't expect the post-rehab recovery/follow-up from my right knee scope job to be so difficult. I got to a point in August where I was afraid I would never be able to seriously skate again, or even walk shallow steps properly and pain-free.

Then I started going to a really good chiropractor, plus I cut back what futile skating efforts I was attempting to once a week, and my gym trainers re-did all my lower body workout to be basically a physical therapy rehab type workout.

Now after 3 1/2 months, I am finally able to focus on strengthening and using the quads/hamstrings properly without pain. Before then, the pain was bad enough that I couldn't work though it.

So now I can start to see a glimmer of hope that I'll be able to eventually think about training to finish passing my other 2 Silver dances.

SkaterBird
12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Let's see, 2008 goals? Those would be to test (and pass!!) Pre-Bronze Moves (my three turns are a disaster at the moment); maybe test (and pass) Pre-Bronze Freestyle (for which I need a waltz jump); finish my master's degree. Oh, and to skate in the Adult Beginner Interpretive-Artistic event at the Adult Midwest Sectional (and not chicken out - :roll: ).

flo
12-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Mika!
My response from last year:

12th AN.
Skated with Rob!
First international event, and a gold in gold pairs to boot!

Next year - enjoy and have some fun with music.

This year :
13th AN. I tried a very different piece of music and program and had a blast. I then picked out a piece which really moved me, and set a program. I got to perform it in Mika's group's show!
A week before the show my new skates arrived - also tried something different to resolve the two years of skate problems.
Skated at the Halloween Classic and loved it.

Next year - Lake Placid!

Isk8NYC
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
2007 Skating Goals:
Regular lessons; might add some dance instruction (might not ;) )
Take and pass one or more of the d**n USFSA MITF and Freestyle tests!
. DONE - Passed Pre-Prel (both)
Pass the ISI Gold Judge certification exam
. Slacked off
Attend a PSA Pace or National Conference (haven't decided which yet.)
. PACE is coming up in January; depending on employment, I would like to attend.

2008 Skating Goals:
Choose a coach and start taking lessons again in FS and maybe Dance (maybe not :wink:))
Prel MITF/FS; maybe an adult-track test or two.
Lose more weight.
ISI Gold Judge Certification (Think I have to take an update exam, too.)
PSA Sports Science exam; maybe an oral exam if the study group works out.

flying~camel
12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
2007 Goals:

- Land lutz consistently - check!
- Start landing lutz-loops - check!
- Start working on Silver MIF - check!
- Be less hesitant in footwork sequences - ongoing
- Skate faster - ongoing

2008 Goals:

- Land lutz-loop more consistently (right now, my best ones are in my program! Not that I'm complaining ;))
- Land axel
- Pass Silver MIF
- Pass Silver FS
- Get my camel spin more consistent
- Fix upright spin centering issues
- Sit lower on my sit spin
- Be less hesitant in footwork sequences
- Skate faster
- ETA: skate clean at ANs!

Muskoka Skater
12-06-2007, 04:47 PM
My 2007 achievements:
1.passed my sr.silver Skill
2.passed my sr.bronze freeskate
3.passed my sr.bronze elements
4.passed jr.silver elements (just last night)
5.came 2nd at Cranberry Capers
6.came 3rd at Santa Skate

Goals for 2008:
1.Pre.Novice freeskate
2.Sr.Silver dances
3.Gold artistic
4.Gold Skill
5.Jr.silver freeskate
6.Sr.silver freeskate
7.a not cheated double axel!!

badaxel
12-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Hmm... Is it that time already? I can't believe how many of my goals I didn't meet! What have I been doing all year???!!!!???

2007 Skating Goals:
-land an axel in my program in competition1st 2 competitions- NOPE/ AN- didn't even try!!!
-go to Sectionals and AN THIS one I did, and boy, was it worth it!!!
-pass Gold and Intermediate MIFWell, I passed Gold, and haven't tested INT because I'm getting ready for sectionals. I'll definitely pass it in 08
-start landing some double toes and salchows Well, does cheated count? I think so!
-learn change of edge in back spin Didn't try- I really worked more on basic spinning
-really, really improve my presentation and speed I think so...
-practice my program every time I'm on the iceWell, no, but I didn't need to because I kept my stamina anyway!

Goals for 2008:
-Compete at Sectionals at NOT come in last or next-to-last!
-Land that axel in competition!
-Start landing some clean double salchows and toes
-Get a Bielman or I spin or Y spin, depending on which way my body wants to bend first!
-Learn the pancake spin
-Pass INT and Novice MIF
-Maybe be brave and move up to Gold next year?

coskater64
12-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Completed none of 2007 goals at all, but did manage to skate, even if somewhat lacking in technical merit. Managed good progression of scores:

AN 07:23 points- came in 6th same as last year with no axel
OD 07: 26 points finished last but got better score
MC 07: 36 points finished last but got 2 level 2's one being footwork, one on a spin.

Slow but steady improvement.

Skated in Vail 07 managed 3rd of 5 in FS at 8500 ft in elevation and won spins, which was a total surprise and got all 1's for ordinals.:D

2008 goals: Skated yesterday for first time, terrifying.... hip doesn't snap! No constant pain ... very trippy...but can do beautiful cross rolls and nice deep edges...

Taking adult fm tests hope to pass all 4 by June 08.
Pass Jr moves by 8/30/08.
Finish pre silver dances by years end and start silver level.
Allowed to jump 10/2/08 will only jump for one year and the re evaluate to see if it is worth it.
Try not to dislocate, lossen, break, .... new hip!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Thin-Ice
12-13-2007, 08:56 AM
This is a great one to be able to re-join on. (I only have computer access at work and our company's new IT chief decided SF was a "threat to company security" and had this board blocked for the last two months, until I explained to him since we're not in the sequins and rhinestone business, it was hard for me to understand exactly how this board posed a threat. He checked you all out for himself.. and congratulations.. you passed his security check. HURRAY!

When I listed my goals it was in response to Muskoka Skater's post last August that said:

Hi Everybody,

I just thought of this. Why doesn't everybody say what there goals are for the 2007 and 2008 skating season.

This is how I responded:

Goals for 2007 and 2008 skating season

Well, I'm pretty sure I can do SOME of this in 16 months!

2007:
-- Conquer new program AND make it look good (at least for me)
-- 4+ revs. on camel spin consistently
-- Skate Interp. program well enough for my coach to keep smiling all the way through it. Right now, she smiles until I do something stupid (forget the footwork, fall out of the sitspin, etc.), then she just starts laughing.

2008:-- Pass Silver FS
-- Take and pass (and I consider those two separate events ) Juvenile MITF
-- 6+ revs. on camel spin consistently
-- Sit/backsit in good position on both spins
-- Do real FI & FO single twizzles
-- Lutz/loop combination so it looks like it was intentional

12/07 Reassessment:
--New technical program is a work in progress, but it apparently worked well enough for me to pass my Silver FS :D (see separate thread for details)! So I've already achieved one of my 2008 goals. What a relief THAT is!
--Camel spin comes and goes... but there are signs of progress, just no consistency (yet).
--Still working on lowering sit spin and making smoother transition to backsit.
--FI twizzles are in the Silver program.. so they will be better.. which means my coach will then add the FOs.
--Interp. program is usually there and coach usually smiles, although I occassionally still do something stupid.. including at Skate SF when I retwisted my "challenged" ankle on the warm-up. :oops: :roll: But I did use the event to practice PERFORMING for the judges. It worked -- not ALL of them put me in last place. Now my coach wants to put more difficult things in the Interp. program.. so I'm going to say she thinks it's pretty good now.
--Still re-gaining lutz after ankle injury.. so no work on lutz/loop yet.. but I DID say that was a 2008 goal.:)

sk8tegirl06
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
2008 Goals:

Pass more tests (some combination of pre moves, pre fs, and/or prejuv moves)

Camel Spin

Layback Spin

Loop Jump

Flip/Lutz Jump

Attempts at axels????

Spread eagle/Ina Baur

littlekateskate
12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Our "goal" for my daughter is for her to make it to freestyle by the end of the year. She is only 4 right now but she is in Beta right now.. So there is some hope lol..

Caris
12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Ah I love this thread, well done to everyone for all their ticked off goals this year!

I didn't have any goals this year as I only started in February and just thought I'd give group lessons a go and see how it went.

As far as achievements for 07. I did the learn to skate plus the passport gold silver bronze and am ready to test NISA 1 although I'm actually just enjoying learning new things at the mo so will decide whether I want to test or go for it next time round.
I have all my single jumps, so on to the axel next.

So I think for next year.........

Axel
Double toe, possibly salcow too
Parallel to ice sit spin
Good camel spin
Perfecting my program and possibly my first ever competition!
Getting used to joining jumps steps ect together at a much faster speed
Oh and get my lovely off ice beilman onto the ice!

patatty
12-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Achievements for 2007:
(Relatively) Consistent Axel
made an Artistic program (just finished it - yay!)
Decent layback spin
sit/back sit spin
improved Gold moves

Goals for 2008:
Double salchow
Double loop
pass Gold moves
possibly test Gold free
consistent flying camel

Most of these goals are contingent on remaining injury-free. I have been battling knee and back problems this year, which has kept me from doing a lot of jumping, so I guess my biggest goal is to keep from getting hurt anymore.

blackmanskating
12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Achievements for '07:

Passed Pre-Bronze Moves and Free
7-Rev Forward Camel
BackSpin
Flying Camel
Completed my first program
A Low 7-rev sit spin (Most recent accomplishment and quite proud of it!!!!! :mrgreen: )
Axel
Double-toe
Double Sal (Sometimes)
Double Loop
Double Flip
Double Lutz (Sometimes)

Goals for '08:

Land a clean double axel (It's still very cheated If I'm still standing)
Better Consistency with my double lutz and double salchow
Pass my Bronze and Silver Moves and Free
Start working on a death drop
My first level 4 spin combination
Improved flow and edge quality
Improved Presentation
Compete in my first competition ever
Maybe start working on a triple?????? (This one is a big stretch)

I know this a lot to accomplish in a year but when I look at all that I've done this year it makes me feel like I can accomplish most of my goals for 2008. My 2 year skating anniversary is coming up in Feb. I'm thinking about taking a trip to Detroit to do some training up there to celebrate. Money's funny right now so we'll see.

BlackManSkating

vesperholly
12-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Achievements for '07:

Passed Pre-Bronze Moves and Free
7-Rev Forward Camel
BackSpin
Flying Camel
Completed my first program
A Low 7-rev sit spin (Most recent accomplishment and quite proud of it!!!!! :mrgreen: )
Axel
Double-toe
Double Sal (Sometimes)
Double Loop
Double Flip
Double Lutz (Sometimes)
8O That's a lot of progress in one year!! Do you have any videos of your skating? I'd love to see what all that looks like. :)

Terri C
12-14-2007, 05:04 PM
2007 Achievements:
Recovered from a strained ankle ligament at the same time I was dealing with the Work Schedule From Hell and made a run at the Bronze free test for the first time in five years (there were four retries before adult moves were required).

2008 Goal:
The same goal I set for myself for 2007 is unfortunately going to carry over into 2008- that passing the Bronze freestyle test. It's now no longer about passing so I can go to AN, it's more passing as a personal goal. I need to overcome fear of testing.

black
12-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Last years post: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=302849#post302849

2007 Achievements:

I did indeed fit in more ice time; 5am starts became the norm for me in 2007 and barring skate camps, being unwell, away and train strikes I was there most days (not Saturdays: too busy)

As before I would prefer not to say what I can do since it is better with skating to see it.

I will say that I have become a more confident skater this year and as a result my speed and posture has improved, though I still suffer(?) from a low opinion of my skating ability.

I've also managed to fit in a little speed skating too, though due to costs I was not able to do as much as I'd like (expensive commute to different rink) though when nobody is about I whizz round on figures :lol: :lol:

2008 Goals:

As before; carry on improving as I have done, hopefully with more coaching time, cost permitting...

Helen88
12-31-2007, 09:52 AM
First of all, I have to apologise to the mods for posting another Resolutions thread - I didn't check to see if there was already one :roll:.

2007 Goals:
*To pass level 6 [Skate UK] next test - COMPLETE
*To be able to do everything I pass well - COMPLETE [IMO]
*Get a private coach - COMPLETE

*To eventually pass all of Skate UK - PARTIALLY COMPLETE (Just a step sequence to do :D)

*To pass Bronze, Silver and Gold on Skate UK Star - TO BE WORKED ON THIS YEAR.

2008 Goals [Long]

Jump Goals

*Get my 3-/waltz jump
*Get at least one single jump

Spin Goals

*At least 5 revs on my two-foot spin
*At least 2 revs on my one-foot spin
*Get one-foot spin with correct entry and exit

Test Goals

*Finish Skate UK
*Pass Skate UK Star Bronze
Silver
Gold

Other

*Get down to the rink twice every week where possible
*Get in shape
*Stretch everyday

Overall, I think 2007 was a relatively successful year :D

And once again, apologies to the mods :oops:

CanadianAdult
01-01-2008, 03:00 PM
My skating notebook list for 2007 was:

Learn all the senior bronze dances (fourteenstep, tenfox and european)
- yes on the tenfox and european and no, couldn't count to 14. But I did learn the Rocker Foxtrot! Badly.
Test skills.
- yes, and no :frus: Ice time is a huge problem. Coaching was a huge problem.

This year is more of the same. I'm going to be brave enough to post them:

Skate more than once a week.
Actually test skills in 2008 (there, I've got a year to do it)
Compete a program cleanly. I want that more than skills.

FlyAndCrash
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, according to my coach, my 2008 goals are

learn and pass pre-juv moves
pass pre-juv free

I would much rather give up on moves, but that isn't happening.

My personal goals are

get a consistant double sal
get a semi-consistant double loop
do a better axel with a real kick-through and some height
and to do a layback in position to a passing six revolutions (ISI).

*JennaD*
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
2007 Goals:

-Pass my American Waltz and Harris Tango in November (maayybe Rocker too, if my coach will let me test it)Passed American but didn't test the tango or rocker....
-Learn Rocker and Killian Learned Rocker but not Killian yet
-Test Sr. Bronze skill in November Didn't test because the judge was one of those fricken evil ones :)
-Test Jr. Bronze elements in November Same evil judge so I didn't test...although I'm definitely ready and am planning on testing elements and my program this year.
-Bigger axel and land it clean more often Definitely achieved!!! I lost my axel before the holiday break but I guess that's just part of skating! lol but my axel has improved so much (except for recently..)
-Consistent double salchow Achieved!
-Improve double toe and double loop I didn't really improve my double toe but my double loop as come so far...I've even landed some!
-Lay back more on my layback Kinda....
-Get more rotation on my flying camel Achieved!

2008 Goals!

Dance:

-Pass Rocker and Harris Tango in March
-Work on Killian and either Paso or Blues during hte summer

Skills:

-Pass Sr. Bronze in March
-work on Jr. Silver over the summer and hopefully test next fall

Freestyle:

-make axel and double salchow more solid so I can do an axel-half loop-double sal combo which I've been wanting to do for a long time :D
-fully rotate double loop and double flip
-get double loop consistent enough to add it to a combination jump
-work on double toe and make it less dangerous for me to do (because at the moment, the probability of me landing on my head is way too high8O)
-test jr bronze elements and program in March
-work on senior bronze and maybe test it in the summer

Skate@Delaware
01-01-2008, 06:26 PM
For 2007 (either before mid-April or after our rink-closing-for-summer-hiatus-I'm not picky):

-get a recognizable sit-spin-did not happen
-not embarrass myself at my competitions (as in forgetting part of my program as I did at HC :oops: )-have not competed yet so won't know about this
-find the trick to centering my spins and do it!-this one is still in the air but we are sloooowly working on it
-land the loop on my right foot (and only my right foot!)-actually landed TWO!
-get better with my footwork (neater, faster, more variety)-not happenin
-get a backspin with more than 4 revolutions, consistently!!! (hey, a girl can dream can't she?)-still dreamin'
-speaking of dreaming, getting the part of a snowflake in next year's Nutcracker on Ice....:( which I didn't get this year (sniff!) (sniff!) I'm ok...still not a snowflake....

And continue to be relatively healthy, have fun on the ice, keep my decent job, my family (and a family that skates and understands the call of the ice)
this was a bust, thanks to a herniated (and partially busted apart) disc...might require surgery, my job sucks and my family keeps telling me to quit skating-NOT HAPPENING!!!!
well, so much for 2007....and 2008 isn't off to a great start....

But, before things sound all gloomy and full of doom-I am thankful that the doctors have told me to stay active, do what I want (within reason and use common sense & pain as my guide), my job is only a job and not my life if I lose it I can get another one, my family still loves me even when they don't understand me, and there is still 4 months of ice left!!!!!!!

If I plan it right, I can recuperate from my surgery on the beach......hehehe

blackmanskating
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
8O That's a lot of progress in one year!! Do you have any videos of your skating? I'd love to see what all that looks like. :)

No videos yet, but I got a camcorder for Christmas and I'm buying myself a macbook in Feb. So that will change very soon. I'll be sure to post lots of videos up . . . even the bad ones. LOL

BlackManSkating

icedancer2
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Well - I couldn't find my 2007 goals, but I bet one of them was to pass Bronze Moves - which I did in August.

I never anticipated that I'd break my right foot and be off the ice for four months - so getting back on the ice AND passing those moves was a really good thing.

Generally got myself on a better trajectory health and body-wise in 2007 - through lots of hard work changing my diet and doing yoga and physical therapy/stretching exercises to keep my body from crumpling up under the weight of it's own gravity, which is something that happens more and more as you get older -- so generally feel better, am slimmer, more toned, etc.

2008 Goals: Maybe get the Paso or Starlight ready to test - have to convince my coach that he can take me through it... that will be as difficult as actually doing the dance!

Moves - get Silver Moves up to speed, but I don't intend on testing this year.

Figures: Get the FO3-BI3 ready to compete at Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals and hopefully making history by being a competitor in the only (to my knowledge) figures competition in the country (with US Figure Skating, that is).

Continue working on Silver figures - probably won't have time to get that ready to test this year... maybe next.

FSWer
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Ok Kids!!!! What I'd like to know from you all are your Skating goals and wishes for 2008? Mine is to become a better skater,and to meet skaters. Those are 2 of mine anyway. Ok Kids..GO!!!!!

FSWer
01-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Say I was wondering what all our skaters here are either working on or will be working on for 2008? Please name your Discipline(s)

techskater
01-18-2008, 07:46 AM
If you read through this thread, a lot of people have already discussed what they are working on this year.