View Full Version : weight loss and roomy boots

Scarlett
12-01-2007, 08:12 AM
I've got an odd question for you. Over the last 6 months, I have lost 30 lbs and my now boots feel too big. Is that possible? I really can't afford new boots now since I have plenty of life in my current ones. Besides freezing cold feet from cinching down on my laces, what are the downsides to too big boots and does weight loss really play a big role in boot size? Basically I'm asking for advice if I need new boots.

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2007, 08:23 AM
It is indeed possible - been there and done that! My boots went far too big when I lost a lot of weight, and I had to get another pair.

slusher
12-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Me too. I started adding extra insoles to fill them up but eventually bought new boots.

SynchroSk8r114
12-01-2007, 01:17 PM
No personal experience with this, but if your boots feel to wide, perhaps adding another/thicker sock may help until your able to purchase new boots, if that's what you choose to do.

Isk8NYC
12-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the weight loss! I had the same thing happen both ways: needed new boots after having twins and gaining weight, just bought new skates last year after losing some of the weight. (Still have a ways to go.)

Changing the laces helps temporarily because I think it's easier to tie them tighter.

You can also replace the insole with a thicker sports version or add a cut-to-size flat one underneath the current sole. Replacing is good if your foot has changed size - that way, you're not using your old "imprint."

Also, get the boots heat-molded. That'll help them fit better right away. Any leather boots can be heat-molded up to three times, I believe.

russiet
12-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Whether you replace your insoles or not, you can add a cardboard shim underneath. Water-proof cardboard inserts are available and sold under the brand name Bontex; they are commonly used by skate fitters and ski boot fitters.

go to this link & scroll down.

http://www.tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer_fitting_dryer_canting_dryers_sk i_snowboard.html

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Jon

double3s
12-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Same thing happened to me after losing 30 lbs - it seems to be the magic number. I made do for nearly a year with Superfeet insoles. I didn't replace the old insoles; I put the Superfeet in the skate *on top* of the old insoles because I needed the extra space taken up. Superfeet makes a pair of grey insoles especially for skating/skiing; I highly recommend them!

Scarlett
12-02-2007, 08:04 PM
The insole thing seems like a good idea. The only wrench in the plan is that I have orthotics in my skates. I also have a lot of room width wise. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Mrs Redboots
12-03-2007, 04:09 AM
How about you treat yourself to new skates as a reward for reaching your goal weight - if you haven't got that far yet, all I can suggest is that new laces might help, and can you fit an insole under your orthotic?

Scarlett
12-03-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm not quite at goal yet (or at least the goal I have set for myself). I will try the insole under the orthotic and as much as it pains me to say this two pairs of tights.

Query
12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Congratulations!

[QUOTE=russiet;345990]Water-proof cardboard inserts are available and sold under the brand name Bontex... www.tognar.com ...
URL]

Wow! what a website. I've never seen so many tools for playing with boots before. Are there any other such sites?

The desired effect of inserting a second insole under or over the current one (or using a thicker one) is to push your foot up into a smaller portion of your boot. You may need to repunch ankle bones, if it is a big enough difference, and the rest of the boot might or might not fit well - but insoles are cheap, so it is worth the effort to try.

If your orthotic is rigid, perhaps putting uniform thickness cardboard or other flexible inserts (big drugstores sell them for about $3/pair) under it won't change the pressure distribution on the bottom of your feet very much, because the shape won't change, though it might change the overall tilt slightly. (I've never used rigid orthotics, and have always made my own non-rigid ones by strategically placing tape under the insole to equalize pressure under the whole bottoms of my feet, so I can't really say.)

If it isn't rigid, you can put athletic tape under the new insole to make the pressure distribution what it should be, and the same method could work to change tilt under a rigid insole.

You might also try putting a uniform thickness insole (cardboard or otherwise) over the current orthotic.

If you can afford to, consult with the person who made your orthotic - none of us are podiatrists. If the orthotic was created by sticking a hot something in the shoe that molded to your foot bottom, the net effect is probably just to equalize pressure across the bottom of the foot. But podiatrists apparently sometimes do more complicated things than that.

As an alternative, there are a number of $12-$20 insole pairs sold at drugstores that contain memory foam, which help make the pressure uniform under the foot, if placed directly under the foot.

If they were custom boots, the boot maker might be willing to make changes freely or cheaply.