View Full Version : Brag about your kids thread.

momsk8er
11-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Ok, we could use some serious skating mom support around here. How about getting to know each other a little better by doing what every mom loves to do best? Talking about their children.

Skating son or daughter(s)?

Level?

Competitive or Test track?

Latest accomplishment?

Grade in school?

Public/Private/Homeschool?

Lessons per week?

Private or group?

Hours per week of skating?

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool?

Challenges?

momsk8er
11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Here's my reply to get us started:

daughter

Level?
juv MIF, taking pre-pre free test in Dec.

competitive, but non-qual. we only do 3 or 4 competitions per year.

Latest accomplishment?
landed her axel! came in 4th in her most recent competition.

Grade in school?7

Public

Lessons per week?

Private or group?
Private

7-8

mostly mom (me)

Challenges?
fitting in all her activities and still being a working mom. in addition to skating we have Girl Scouts, and dance.

jskater49
11-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Skating son or daughter(s)? Daughter

Level? Intermediate but she's putting together Novice programs - she'll be 18 in May and is done competing after January but wants to go to the Broadmore open in June so will have to compete Novice whether she passes the test or not

She would do better at test track because she doesn't have all the jumps you need at her level, but competes at the competitive track anyway.

Latest accomplishment? Was accepted as a junior coach at our club

Grade in school? Senior in High Scholl

Public/Private/Homeschool? Public

Lessons per week? Two freestyle and one dance

Private or group? Private

Hours per week of skating? 5 hours

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? She drives

Challenges? Getting her double toe so she can pass Novice FS She also has novice fs program to learn, novice short program, program for the Holiday Gala in December and two solo numbers for the spring show, plus 7 group numbers! Sounds like a challenge to me

j

sk8tmum
11-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Read from L to R to align responses ... I've got 3 on the ice

Skating son or daughter(s)? Son, 2 daughters

Level? Pre-Juvenile, Preliminary, Canskate

Competitive or Test track? 1 Competitive, 1 test, 1 darned if we know yet :P

Latest accomplishment? Double loop, lutz/loop combo, forward sculling

Grade in school? 6,8,SK

Lessons per week? Too many to count (and pay for) but about 4 Free, 1 or 2 Dance, 1 or skill for older, 2 LTS for little

Hours per week of skating? 8,8, 2

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? Mom and Dad and taxi

Challenges? too many to count ... from learning disabilities, to growth spurts, to rink politics, to financing, to exhaustion, to getting the sparkles out of the carpet and off the dog - !

Clarice
11-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Level? Has passed Senior Freestyle and Pre-Silver Dance

Competitive or Test track? Is done competing now; continuing to test dance and perform in shows

Latest accomplishment? Getting accepted to college! Did a clean program at Regionals

Grade in school? High school Senior

Public/Private/Homeschool? Public high school, went to Catholic grade school

Lessons per week? 4

Hours per week of skating? About 6 now, from a high of about 14

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? She does

Challenges? Deciding what to do with skating now that she's done competing - will probably do some teaching while she's in college

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Clarice, don't forget there is the adult skating track if your daughter wants to keep on competing! College doesn't have to mean the end of skating. And, of course, the professional skating world - maybe a year skating with a company between finishing high school and starting college would be a great break!

babyrabbit
12-01-2007, 07:37 AM

Level? Passed Alpha

Competitive or Test track? Hopefully Competitive (does about 4 comps a year)

Latest accomplishment? Just took Alpha test

Grade in school? Pre K (she is 4)

Public/Private/Homeschool? Private

Lessons per week? 3

Private or group? one group two private

Hours per week of skating? 4-6

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? Mom

Challenges? Age is mostly her challenge right now

Kim to the Max
12-01-2007, 08:01 AM
Challenges? Deciding what to do with skating now that she's done competing - will probably do some teaching while she's in college

There are the Collegiate Championships every year...and many colleges/universities have Synchro teams that help to keep skaters connected...every university I've worked at/attended had a synchro team (2 in the Midwest and one in the northeast).

--Kim

Clarice
12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Clarice, don't forget there is the adult skating track if your daughter wants to keep on competing! College doesn't have to mean the end of skating. And, of course, the professional skating world - maybe a year skating with a company between finishing high school and starting college would be a great break!

Thanks, Mrs. Redboots - I'm an adult skater myself, though, so I do know all about the adult competitive world. Same to Kim to the Max - we do know about Collegiates. My daughter doesn't really enjoy competing, though, so I don't know what the future will hold for her in that regard. I've told her that adult competitions feel a lot different - everybody's so friendly and supportive, and although we are quite serious about doing our best it doesn't usually feel so high-pressured. So who knows, maybe she'll give it a go when she's old enough. She's taking all her dance tests partnered just in case she might want to compete as an adult. She certainly could audition for a professional show, and I've suggested a gap year as a possibility. I think she's more likely to consider touring after college than now, though.

luckeylasvegas
12-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Level? Pre-pre moves/ No-test, FS4 Compete

Competitive or Test track? Competitive

Latest accomplishment? Placed 3rd in free skate and spot in her first USFSA competition last month.
Silver Medal Preliminary Compulsaries State Games of America in August !!

Grade in school? 5th

Public/Private/Homeschool? Virtual Classroom at home

Lessons per week? 3 privates, 1 foot work, 1 off ice & Syncroteam

Private or group? Yes :D

Hours per week of skating? Around 7 or 8

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? All mom

Challenges?[/QUOTE]
That Flippin @$%! Axel !

twokidsskatemom
12-02-2007, 02:20 PM
one of each
Level?Daughter prelim moves, taking pre juv moves next month.Pre Pre fs, will be moving up to prelim ISI 5
Son, pre pre moves, taking prelim moves next month. Fs non test, Im sure will move up to pre pre fs ISI 4
Competitive or Test track?Right now comp.They both enjoy it, no matter what placement.They would rather compete than do a show

Latest accomplishment?DD has clean axel, working on double toe, double loop, double sal.Didnt give up on axel, even though it took almost 2 years.
Ds landed axel in harness, working on ice

Grade in school?DD 3rd Ds 1st

Public/Private/Homeschool?Homeschool, but not due to skating.

Lessons per week?2 for each, unless something special is going on. Wish we could afford more :{

Private or group? We would love to do more groups,but we dont have many offered

Hours per week of skating?DD about 8/10 Ds 6/7

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool?Mom

Challenges?We have many. First limited on coaches. We love our coaches but only 2 full time and 2 part time here.We have to travel at least 400 miles for comps and that is still within state.To be competive here, one must go out of state, non drivable comps. Regionals is our goal next year and that is in Jackson Hole WY.
I wish we had all the resources that the lower 48 does but we do our best here !!! They love the ice.I keep trying to get them to do another sport but so far this is it :}

dak_rbb
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Level? No tests; she is ISI FS 2 for her group class, but last competed at Beta level.

Competitive or Test track? Too soon to tell. We are just having fun right now.

Latest accomplishment? A few days ago she just started doing a really nice (at least to a mom's eyes) little camel spin and just yesterday added a camel-sitspin combination to her repertoire.

Grade in school? First grade

Lessons per week? 3

Private or group? 1 private, 1 group freestyle, 1 group stroking

Hours per week of skating? 6-8

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? Me (Mom) usually; I skate too.

Challenges? Currently for her it's her loop jump. For me, FI Mohawks and trying to fit in work, meals, skating, her homework and violin practice, playdates, housecleaning…

BuggieMom
12-04-2007, 07:50 AM

Level? Preliminary FS, Juvinile MIF

Latest accomplishment? A consistant double sal :!: Has also landed a double loop and double flip

Grade in school? 5th (10yo)

Public/Private/Homeschool? Homeschool

Lessons per week? 3 FS, 1 MIF, 1 off-ice, ballet again soon

Private or group? Privates..I wish there was a group class for her level

Hours per week of skating? 10, give or take

Challenges? Double toes. Both she and coach hate toe loops, so she will probably land a double Axel before her first double toe!

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

littlekateskate
12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
skating son or daughter(s)? Daughter

Level? Beta

Competitive or Test track? neither really

Latest accomplishment? passed alpha test i guess

Grade in school? prek

Public/Private/Homeschool? public vpk at a private school

Lessons per week? 2-3

Private or group? both

Hours per week of skating? 4-6

Challenges? fear of going backwards i guess. she does it but wont really try things while going backwards

hepcat
12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
daughter

Level?
FS1 (we're an ISI rink)

She's done one competition, competed at Delta. Too soon to say, really.

Latest accomplishment?
Won a silver medal. :)

Grade in school?
2nd.

public

Lessons per week?
2 days of a couple of group lessons, and 1 private.

about 6

Me, but I don't mind as I'm working on my own skating. :D

Challenges?
Hmmm...besides the cost, just getting her to tell me when her skates feel tight or admit to any injuries. Any question I ask feels like motherly smothering to her.

Thanks for starting the thread, momsk8er!

3skatekiddos
12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Skating son or daughter(s)? Both. DS 10 and DD 5

Level? DS is intermediate. DD is just going into intermediate.

Competitive or Test track? Ummm. Neither at this moment:lol:

Latest accomplishment? DS is *this close* to landing the dreaded axel. DD has the start of the strangest toe loop you've ever seen.

Grade in school? 5 and kindergarten

Lessons per week? DS 1 private per week. DD 1 group, 2 privates

Private or group? Ooops. Answered that already.

Hours per week of skating? DS 2 plus a bazillion hockey hours. DD 3 hours.

Challenges? We need more hours in the day.

isakswings
12-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Skating son or daughter(s)? Daughter (9), Son almost 7

Level? daughter: Basic 7 in USFSA LTS, Son: Passed LTS basic one and LTS Hockey 3. He is also begining to play on a team.

Competitive or Test track? Daughter will be in her first comp in June.

Latest accomplishment? Daughter... working on Waltz jump. son: working on crossovers and hitting the puck!

Grade in school? 3rd/1st

Lessons per week? daughter: 1 LTS and one private, son: 1 LTS, 1 private and team play too.

Private or group? daughter: both, son: both

Hours per week of skating? that depends on the week. Lately, 3-4 days a week. 5-7 huors approx.

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? parents/carpool

Challenges? Challenges would be knowing how I am going to afford to pay for hockey and figure skating along with the interests my 12 y/o son has also! We're at the cheaper end of skating right now and thoughts of the increase in costs has me wondering where the money will come from. :-) Not to mention dh and I are now getting into skating too! Dh takes hockey lessons with ds(including private lessons) and I take LTS group lessons and will likely toss ina few private lessons here and there!

Laura H
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Skating son or daughter(s)? son!

Level? well, that's hard to pin down . . . jumps are at USFSA level 6 FS . . . spins are stagnating at level 4 . . . :frus:

Competitive or Test track? Another hard question! DS decided at the start of 2007 that he wanted to start competing, and then our rink closed down shortly after his first competition. Now it's open again, so at some point I suspect he will get back into competing, right now he's just taking lessons & working on Christmas show routine.

Latest accomplishment? getting a solid lutz; occasionally landing an axel.

Grade in school? 4th

Lessons per week? 1-2

Private or group? private (did group lessons up through FS 2, then started requiring more individual attention than he got in the group class to keep him motivated!

Hours per week of skating? varies depending on the week. the bare minimum is usually 2 hours.

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? mom or dad, often depends on who will be at the rink already (I figure skate, DH plays hockey and helps out with my other son's youth hockey league).

Challenges? right now . . . the axel and sit spin. An ongoing challenge is having to really work to get the harder elements, when the earlier ones came very easily.

AW1
12-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Daughter

Level?
Aussie Skate Level 2 (she's hoping to pass her Preliminary test soon)

?? Not sure it's a bit different here.

Latest accomplishment?
A nice camel spin and sit spin

Grade in school?
First Grade

Public School

Lessons per week?
2 usually, but 1 at the moment since I've got no job currently.

Private or group?
Private

Mum

Challenges?
Trying to get her to jump a little higher - she can jump high as she does it at Gymnastics on beam, so we're not sure why she doesn't jump as high on the ice?

FigureSk8Dad
03-08-2008, 10:45 PM
My first post here....and it has to be bragging......sorry!

Level? ISI FS2

Latest accomplishment? Two gold and one silver at 2008 California State Games in San Diego

Grade in school? 1st

Lessons per week? 4

Private or group? 2 private, 2 group

Hours per week of skating? 9

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? Dad, of course (see my ID)

Challenges? consistency of her landings for the loop, flip and lutz

Here is a link to a pic of my daughter's wonderful spiral taken at Anaheim Ice in mid February :D

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg296/FigureSk8Dad/?action=view&current=HPNX0091.jpg

peanutskates
03-09-2008, 03:25 AM
ohmygosh, Figuresk8dad, that spiral is amazing!!! I have to admit, I was a little skeptical before clicking the link - but WOW!!!! 1st grade, is that like 5 or 6 yrs old?

littlekateskate
03-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I agree its beautiful! Well worth the post. She looks fabulous!

FigureSk8Dad
03-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you both. She turned 7 a month and a half before that competition and has been skating for 14 months now. A very determiined little girl, and so humble she won't tell any of her classmates about her accomplishments so I have to do the bragging.

Skittl1321
03-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Level? ISI FS2

Here is a link to a pic of my daughter's wonderful spiral taken at Anaheim Ice in mid February :D

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg296/FigureSk8Dad/?action=view&current=HPNX0091.jpg

WOW! You don't see spirals like that at FS2 very often. Makes me embarassed of what I can do in FS3!! She looks great!

Helen88
03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow that spiral is amazing!! I'm jealous :P

sk8tmum
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Any gymnastics training in there? She looks like she'd be a natural - !

FigureSk8Dad
03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks everybody. She noticed the spirals on a few skating shows and it inspired her to work harder at achieving a better form. She's getting there.

Any gymnastics training in there? She looks like she'd be a natural - !

sk8tmum, no gymnastics training, however her coach also gives her a half-hour of ballet lessons every week.

onlyhappyonice
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Not much to brag about, more pride from me

my 6 year old has been session skating with us for about a year now, probably in total about 20 times. She has now had 4 half hour lessons in a group environment and is now getting her backwards sculling sorted (took me a very long time) and she's just a natural on the ice. I'm very proud of her energy for the sport and how much she enjoys it :)

tylerkarenmay
03-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Skating son or daughter(s)? Son and Daughter

Level? both Alpha

Competitive or Test track? just started Competive

[B]Latest accomplishment? Pasted Beta Level

Grade in school? Son 5, Daughter 2

Lessons per week? Every other week 2-3 group classes, +1 hour each private lessions. on every other friday and every other saturday

Hours per week of skating? avg. 2.5 (or 5 hours each everyother week)

here is a link to Sons last year <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmAvSYF9Lqc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmAvSYF9Lqc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

aughters last year <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AMsb6svu1zc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AMsb6svu1zc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

jcookie1982
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Skating son or daughter(s)? daughter
Level? pre-Alpha

[b]Competitive or Test track? ISI
Latest accomplishment? passed tot 4
Grade in school? 4 years old, not in school yet

Public/Private/Homeschool? n/a

Lessons per week? 2 group lessons

Hours per week of skating? practices an hour to 2 hours a week

Ice_Pad_Dad
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Here Goes

two sons 15 and 6

Level?
Novice Dance, Junior Star

competitive, Test Track

Latest accomplishment?
12th at Jr.Nats, Passed 1st test "Dutch Waltz"

Grade in school?
10, 1
Public for both

Lessons per week?
4, 2
Private or group?
Private

12, 2

Dad and Mom

Challenges?
Working around all the family schedules.

FigureSk8Dad
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Hello everybody,
Today, my daughter at age 7, landed her first and second Axel. They were a bit sloppy, but she's well on her way. Hopefully she can do it again next week when she gets back on the ice. I was so excited and so lucky to have the video cam with me at the time.

Here is a link to the video as well as others of her on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPHnXoN0Qs

sk8lady
06-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm only doing this because my son was reading over my shoulder and wanted me to put him in:

Skating son or daughter(s)? Son

Level? PeeWee (I did point out that this is a FIGURE SKATING site but he doesn't care!)

Competitive or Test track? House hockey last year, probably travel next year

Latest accomplishment? Making it through Festival tryouts with five stitches in one hand and a bandage that the facilitator re-wrapped with hockey tape halfway through the session...

Grade in school? 6th

Lessons per week? None

Private or group? In hockey it's ALL group!!

Hours per week of skating? 0 right now, 3 during season

Who drives? Mom AND dad

Challenges? Getting him to remember he's only as good as he is because his FIGURE SKATING MOM taught him how to skate!! ;)

TiggerTooSkates
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello everybody,
Today, my daughter at age 7, landed her first and second Axel. They were a bit sloppy, but she's well on her way. Hopefully she can do it again next week when she gets back on the ice. I was so excited and so lucky to have the video cam with me at the time.

Here is a link to the video as well as others of her on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmPHnXoN0Qs

WOW!!! Sorry to intrude on the parent bragging thread, but I just had to comment - I don't even know her and I'm proud of her! You must be bursting at the seams - I'm glad you had you had your camera there!

FigureSk8Dad
06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
WOW!!! Sorry to intrude on the parent bragging thread, but I just had to comment - I don't even know her and I'm proud of her! You must be bursting at the seams - I'm glad you had you had your camera there!

I am bursting at the seams. I rarely have the camcorder with me. I had brought it the day before to record her change foot spin so that she could see her problems. And for some reason I just grabbed it again. When I saw her practice her axel, I figured I better record it so that she could see her problems with that. The very first attempt while recording was the one you see on youtube. I would have killed myself if I hadn't started recording. I'm just sorry her coach wasn't there to see it.

BuggieMom
06-02-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm just sorry her coach wasn't there to see it.
Most of my dd's "firsts" have been when her coach wasn't there! I think she landed about 10 double sals before coach ever saw the first one. Poor coach!

Congrats Sk8Dad...She looks great!

FigureSk8Dad
06-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the good words.

Yesterday was my daughter's stroking and jump class. It was her first time back on the ice since she landing her axel on Saturday. I saw her coach run up to her and give her a hug and a card. Coach then ran out to me and gave me the biggest hug of my life. She was totally ecstatic. She had watched the posting on the net and couldn't wait to congratulate her. So the big question for me was if she would repeat.

Well she did! she landed 5 out of 7 attempts and her coach went crazy. The funny thing was that her coach never asked her to jump. She just waited patiently until my girl decided to do it on her own. Oh, and this was after an half hour of stroking class, when she was already exhausted.

I guess it wasn't just luck, she really has it and now to work on making it better.

dbny
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I guess it wasn't just luck, she really has it and now to work on making it better.

Watching your daughter skate, I can assure you her axel was not luck at all. She is a very strong skater, with excellent form, speed, power, and extension. Lots of kids can do axels, but most of them are not done nearly so well.

FigureSk8Dad
06-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks dbny. Her coach has done so well with her and they have a great relationship. It's hard to believe that 16 months ago she was marching in place with the tots, spending more time trying to get back on her feet than marching, and I was wondering if skating wasn't her "thing". We almost gave up after her first lesson, but then decided to give it one more try.

momof3chicks
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I have two daughters 7 and 8 who skate
Level?

The 7 yo has passed PPM and is about to take PM, just finished FS 6, the 8 yo is in Basic 6

A bit of both- the 7 yo is primarily a synchro skater

Latest accomplishment?

Hmmm...passing FS 6 at the age of 7 I guess, she also has a great camel, sit, pancake, backspin

Grade in school? Just finishing 2nd and 3rd

Lessons per week? The 7 yo takes 3-4 lessons per week, the 8 yo about 2

Private or group? Combination

Hours per week of skating? The 7 yo probably skates 5-6 hours a week, the 8 yo probably 2-3- more during synchro season

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? Combination

Challenges? My 7 yo is struggling with her lutz, it was perfect and then she lost it. Her age is also a struggle as she seems to find herself competing against much older girls alot of times- and she just doesn't have the performance skills yet

momof3chicks
06-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks dbny. Her coach has done so well with her and they have a great relationship. It's hard to believe that 16 months ago she was marching in place with the tots, spending more time trying to get back on her feet than marching, and I was wondering if skating wasn't her "thing". We almost gave up after her first lesson, but then decided to give it one more try.

My dd was the worst in tot marching too- I thought for sure it was a disaster but she stuck with it and by the end of the sessions she was the strongest skater.

amcnulty
07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Skating son or daughter(s)? Daugter and Son

Level? ISI Freestyle 2 and Gamma

Competitive or Test track? Recreational competitions and Daughter also does synchro

Latest accomplishment? nice half-lutz and first unassisted mohawk-he just didn't get that he was supposed to end up facing the other way;)

Grade in school? 4th and 1st

Lessons per week? 2

Private or group? one private and one group

Hours per week of skating? 2 - 3

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? mostly Mom

Challenges? Occupying my 3 year old in the stands:giveup:

littlekateskate
07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
My four year old finally figure out her waltz jump!!! And out of nowhere can do it now all the time!! Its not real high but she got her foot off the ice and around lol. We are quite excited she landed it before her 5th birthday!

momof3chicks
07-15-2008, 09:08 AM

My dd was like that too- I thought this was NOT going to work, and she too is about to land her axel at 7 years old. Today she is taking her PMIF test.

FigureSk8Dad
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
My dd was like that too- I thought this was NOT going to work, and she too is about to land her axel at 7 years old. Today she is taking her PMIF test.

I hope she did well in her test. My dd is in an ISI track. She has just moved up to ISI Freestyle 5. Her coach and I have discussed moving her into USFS around the new year. She coaches both ISI and USFS and is currently prepping dd for PPMIF. She is moving along quickly, competed in March at FS1, July at FS3, and looks like FS4 or FS5 for our next competition in Oct.

Anyway, to stay true to the thread....DD picked up five 1st place out of 5 events entered last weekend. One of them was Interpretive, and that was her first ever entry into that event.

Oh yeah! 155 clean axels landed since May 31st. I said I would stop counting at 50. But, I just cannot.

BuggieMom
07-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah! 155 clean axels landed since May 31st. I said I would stop counting at 50. But, I just cannot.
I DID quit counting at some point, but I still get excited for her when she lands something, even if she's been landing it for a while. I got excited today 'cause she got good rotation, yet fell, on a double Lutz! I just LOVE to see the progress! I really don't care about landing, per se....just seeing the PROGRESS is exciting.

momof3chicks
07-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I hope she did well in her test. My dd is in an ISI track. She has just moved up to ISI Freestyle 5. Her coach and I have discussed moving her into USFS around the new year. She coaches both ISI and USFS and is currently prepping dd for PPMIF. She is moving along quickly, competed in March at FS1, July at FS3, and looks like FS4 or FS5 for our next competition in Oct.

Anyway, to stay true to the thread....DD picked up five 1st place out of 5 events entered last weekend. One of them was Interpretive, and that was her first ever entry into that event.

Thank you and yes she passed! She skated this past weekend for the first time in a level above Basic Skills. It was Beginner No Test Freeskate (USFS). She got 4th which she was happy with. The girl who won skated the same exact level an entire year ago at the same competition and the 2nd place finisher was a friend of hers that is older and has been skating 2x as long as her.

Her coach decided to not go overboard on the difficulty to ensure she had a nice clean skate and she did- her coach felt that was the main reason she didn't place higher (we left out the back sit and the loop after the lutz, toe loop). One judge gave her 3rd. Now she is adding back the difficulty for next time.

It is fun to see them progress and succeed.

sk8rmom2006
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
It's so nice to see all these younger skaters are working hard. Here is about my skater.

Daughter
Level?
Juv MIF & Juv FS
Competitive

Latest accomplishment?
Consistent double luz & double flip.

Grade in school?
Going to be 6th in the coming fall. She is 10yr old.

Private

Lessons per week?
5 30-min lessons

Private or group?
private

Summer time, she saktes 10 - 15 hours; school year, she skates 5 - 10 hours.

Mom, always

Challenges?[/QUOTE]
working on consistency of landing double axels and trip sal. Will have challenge from school work since she will be out of school early for coming school year. As always, financing skating is major challenge. I have to restrict her lessons and ice time due to our budgets.

amcnulty
07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Grade in school?
Going to be 6th in the coming fall. She is 10yr old.

My 4th grader is only 8. She won't turn 9 until late October. Her school in the fall is only 4, 5, 6 grades so she will be the youngest kid in the whole school! She is pretty excited about it, but it has taken her awhile to get used to. When she was in first grade she was teased by some of the other kids about being so young. They told her she needed to go back to Kindergarten.

How does your daughter feel about being one of the youngest in her grade? When will she be 11?

momof3chicks
07-17-2008, 08:56 AM
My 4th grader is only 8. She won't turn 9 until late October. Her school in the fall is only 4, 5, 6 grades so she will be the youngest kid in the whole school! She is pretty excited about it, but it has taken her awhile to get used to. When she was in first grade she was teased by some of the other kids about being so young. They told her she needed to go back to Kindergarten.

How does your daughter feel about being one of the youngest in her grade? When will she be 11?

My girls are young too - my 7 year old skater just finished 2nd grade- she has an October birthday. My 13 year old daughter is going to be a freshman in high school this fall- none of them have had any problems with being the youngest.

quarkiki2
07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
So I thought I'd jump in on this one, mostly to make y'all smile...

son -- 3yrs, 3 weeks

Level?
Snowplow Sam 1

recreational

Latest accomplishment?
marched in a circle -- actually, he sort of spun and stepped, but I'm not telling him that...

Grade in school?
too young for school

in-home daycare

Lessons per week?

Private or group?
group -- I'm one of the teachers

Dad brings the kids to the rink and mom hops off the ice to help get skates on him

Challenges?
Potty training... and keeping him interested in what the group is doing. I think he gets a little bored -- like, "I've already marched across the rink -- why would I do it again?"

I did ask him several times this week if he wanted to "skate with the other kids and play the games or just come skate sometimes with just mommy" and he said he still wants to skate with the other kids. Let's hope he stays on the ice the whole time this time... Not pressuring him because he doesn't understand the whole "signed up for this and it's a commitment, etc." thing. Plus, he's only been on the ice five or six times...

sk8rmom2006
07-24-2008, 04:23 PM

She is not very tall. So she is always short in her class. She wish she would not be the smallest one in her class. She is doing well academically. However, her emotional development is not as mature as her classmates. For example, she could not disipline herself. That might be her personality, but I think it has to do with her age. Sometimes, I wish I would hole her back for one year.

amcnulty
07-26-2008, 10:06 AM
My girls are young too - my 7 year old skater just finished 2nd grade- she has an October birthday. My 13 year old daughter is going to be a freshman in high school this fall- none of them have had any problems with being the youngest.

That is good to hear. Especially about the 13 yr. old. Our school assistant superintendant told me that my daughter would have problems when she got to middle school because she was too young. How she felt that she could know that after not even meeting my daughter who at the time was five I'll never know. Apparently her degree in education gave her a crystal ball:evil:!

She is not very tall. So she is always short in her class. She wish she would not be the smallest one in her class. She is doing well academically. However, her emotional development is not as mature as her classmates. For example, she could not disipline herself. That might be her personality, but I think it has to do with her age. Sometimes, I wish I would hole her back for one year.

If she does well academically it is probably best that she isn't/wasn't held back. You wouldn't want her to be bored and then possibly act out in class.

Maybe she'll get a growth spurt and not be the shortest anymore. That might help.

littlekateskate
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to jump in the young kids in school conversation. My dd is going into kindergarden this year and will be four the day it starts! :) She will turn five though in the first week of school.

4rkidz
07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
I am bursting at the seams. I rarely have the camcorder with me. I had brought it the day before to record her change foot spin so that she could see her problems. And for some reason I just grabbed it again. When I saw her practice her axel, I figured I better record it so that she could see her problems with that. The very first attempt while recording was the one you see on youtube. I would have killed myself if I hadn't started recording. I'm just sorry her coach wasn't there to see it.

I had to laugh reading your story.. about ten years ago this summer when my daughter was 8 at public ice she also landed her first axel and I also had it on video tape - and we all screamed just like you .. that video also won a competition - in fact we she was the provincial finalist as a 'priceless moment' and got stuff from Elvis (who was the world champ then) haa haaa.. I hope you guys enjoy the moment.. I only got two first time jumps on video tape - the first axel and the first double lutz about two years after that first axel.. enjoy the journey:P Now we get to watch our daughter on the CBC opening sports montage for winter sports;)

TiggerTooSkates
07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Now we get to watch our daughter on the CBC opening sports montage for winter sports;)

This is quite possibly the COOLEST thing I've read on this board (tough to call since there are a lot of cool things here)...congrats on your obviously talented daughter, whoever she may be!

FigureSk8Dad
07-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I only got two first time jumps on video tape - the first axel and the first double lutz about two years after that first axel.. enjoy the journey:P

My DD is working on her double salchow and double toe loop now. You can bet that I take my camera along when I know she'll be practicing them!

BuggieMom
08-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Last weekend, my dd had a busy day! She passed 6 tests in one day!
She passed:
Pre-Juv Free
Dutch Waltz
Canasta Tango
Rhythm Blues
Cha Cha
Fiesta Tango

And she did all that with bonus points!
She just started testing the dances, and her partner, who was a national champion in dance, said that her abilitites are actually at a pre-silver level. Judges and coaches were raving about her posture and extension and, for her freeskate, her musicality and how she "sold" the progam.

Wow...I was impressed and a bit overwhelmed. Now I'm wondering if her future is in dance???

Rob Dean
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
We had a test session at our secondary rink yesterday...I am happy to note that my son passed his junior moves and juvenile freeskate. There's probably more news, but I'll hold it until next week ;) after the next test session.

Rob

amcnulty
08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to jump in the young kids in school conversation. My dd is going into kindergarden this year and will be four the day it starts! :) She will turn five though in the first week of school.

With back to school FAST approaching, Happy early birthday to dd and good luck in kindergarten:D

littlekateskate
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
With back to school FAST approaching, Happy early birthday to dd and good luck in kindergarten:D

Thank you!! She had a good birthday and i let her wear her comp dress to practice that day. :) She was quite excited!

cazzie
08-16-2008, 04:42 PM
My 5 1/2 year old does group classes. Seems to be the kid with the least focus - although is the youngest boy and is with 6,7 year old girls. (He does keep trying things - just not always what he is told to do....)

Today - he did the sweetest spriral. I'm sure it wasn't a good one but his back leg was at least level with his hips! He was so proud of himself he couldn't stop smiling - even after he came off the ice.

Worth it just for his own sense of achievement and big smile.

He is also doing one foot glides about 1/2 length of rink. Can't believe the balance.

(Sadly still struggles with crossovers - they look so awkward its quite comical).

Rob Dean
08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
So, I said last week I'd have one more comment possible after Friday. My son and his partner passed their juvenile free dance test yesterday, so it's on to some serious competition--which will involve some lifestyle changes I hadn't really expected to make. Ah well...stay flexible. :)

We were a little surprised to find that they had made icenetwork as an aside:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=50929&vkey=ice_news

As one of the other skaters told him, news travels fast in this world.

Rob

isakswings
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
My 5 1/2 year old does group classes. Seems to be the kid with the least focus - although is the youngest boy and is with 6,7 year old girls. (He does keep trying things - just not always what he is told to do....)

Today - he did the sweetest spriral. I'm sure it wasn't a good one but his back leg was at least level with his hips! He was so proud of himself he couldn't stop smiling - even after he came off the ice.

Worth it just for his own sense of achievement and big smile.

He is also doing one foot glides about 1/2 length of rink. Can't believe the balance.

(Sadly still struggles with crossovers - they look so awkward its quite comical).

My daughter struggled with crossovers too until she started in private lessons. Hers have improved a lot over the last several months. Good luck to him! I love seeing the younger kids skate! SOOO cute!

isakswings
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
So, I said last week I'd have one more comment possible after Friday. My son and his partner passed their juvenile free dance test yesterday, so it's on to some serious competition--which will involve some lifestyle changes I hadn't really expected to make. Ah well...stay flexible. :)

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=50929&vkey=ice_news

Rob

Congrats to your son and his partner!

momof3chicks
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM
My little girl (7), is doing a competition next month where there is a 'tots' category- the only restrictions are it is no-test freeskate, no axels and no doubles.

Anyway, her coach felt like she was in a rut with her old music and program (ie not showing how strong a skater she is now), and so she decided last week to get her new music AND a whole new program.

She is going to skate to music from Mac and Mabel- much of it is very very fast. The elements she has in it are-

Backward shoot the duck, to 170 to waltz jump loop
Lutz, toe loop, loop
camel, sit, back sit, back scratch spin
flip then to a outside edge spiral then to a loop
footwork sequence with twizzles, forward to backward lunge, mohawk cross, bunny hop and ending with a flip, loop
She ends with a catch foot spiral and a camel, sit, pancake, scratch spin.

She learned it all in a few days and you'd never know she JUST learned!

She should WOW them!

twokidsskatemom
08-28-2008, 04:46 PM
DD passed DW, CT, and RB dances.
Ds passed prelim moves
Both competed and did well,my daughter needs more experience with her doubles under presure.Son even had three boys in pre pre this time:)

twokidsskatemom
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Rob
great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck to them for this season :}:)

TOs8mum
08-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Well I thought I would brag a bit too:
Skating son or daughter(s)? daughters, 9 & 7

Level? Pre-Juv & Canskate 2

Competitive or Test track? Competitive & Test, maybe

Latest accomplishment? 2Sal, fully rotated! 9yr old nearly has 2Loop, working on Double Toe & Double Flip and waltz jump 7 yr old- she is a reverse(?) jumper we discovered

Grade in school? started gr. 5 next week (Sep), gr. 2 next week.

Lessons per week? 9yr old , 10 or 15 minutes lessons spread through the week with 3 different coaches - FS, dance & skills - about 9 in total, and 2 x 10 min lessons per week for 7 yr old.

Private or group? Private on session ice

Hours per week of skating? summer: 15 hrs, winter: 8 plus 2 hr public skate weekly or bi-weekly if we have the time & inclination for 9 yr old, and 2 hrs plus 1 hr public skate weekly

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? all - Mom, Dad, carpool depending upon the day.

Challenges? yes, many.

cazzie
09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
5 1/2 year old son landed some beautiful waltz jumps last weekend - at least legs were beautiful (thumb was in mouth for at least part of the jump). They (little ones like him) were meant to do a 2 footed landing - which he refused to do and I was amazed by the curved backward one foot glide at the end of the jump. (Apologies - don't know about edges and complicated stuff).

Is also doing a (rather off- centred) one foot spin which he is very proud of. Showed it to all the elderly ice dancers during a public skate and insisted they watch him.

I'm proud not only of what he's doing (although am sure many kids his age do way more) but of his own sense of accomplishment that he gets from doing it and how he will practice something over and over even when coaches are spending time with other kids.

He tried to teach me to hop on one leg on the ice on a public skate and shrieked with laughter that I had to hang on to the side and didn't look safe at all.

FigureSk8Dad
09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
5 1/2 year old son landed some beautiful waltz jumps last weekend - at least legs were beautiful (thumb was in mouth for at least part of the jump).

Funny. I'm glad he didn't bite his thumb8O My dd has a habit of sticking her tongue out from the side of her mouth while practicing her camel. I need to catch a close up of that one on video.

Yikes, her axel has been AWOL for two weeks now, with a competition coming in 6 weeks.

twokidsskatemom
09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Funny. I'm glad he didn't bite his thumb8O My dd has a habit of sticking her tongue out from the side of her mouth while practicing her camel. I need to catch a close up of that one on video.

Yikes, her axel has been AWOL for two weeks now, with a competition coming in 6 weeks.
It will come back !That is very normal, for jumps to come and go.
good luck at her comp!

FigureSk8Dad
09-05-2008, 08:59 PM
good luck at her comp!

Thanks. I'm sure she'll get it back. It's just frustrating for her, and it put the brakes on her attempts at the doubles. She actually landed the double toe twice before losing her axel.

Sorry for leading this thread in the wrong direction, everybody.

luckeylasvegas
09-14-2008, 12:11 AM
After almost a year and a half of struggling and being soooooooo close, my dd finally stopped putting her left foot down and landed her Axel !! :bow:

She is about 1/4 rotation from her 2 sal, 2 flip and 2 loop.

I'm so happy for her !! It was sooooo discouraging watching everybody pass her by & it broke my heart every time someone else at the rink landed it without so much as a struggle. Now I hope she can keep it. But at least she knows that she can do it :D! :D:D:D:D

twokidsskatemom
09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
After almost a year and a half of struggling and being soooooooo close, my dd finally stopped putting her left foot down and landed her Axel !! :bow:

She is about 1/4 rotation from her 2 sal, 2 flip and 2 loop.

I'm so happy for her !! It was sooooo discouraging watching everybody pass her by & it broke my heart every time someone else at the rink landed it without so much as a struggle. Now I hope she can keep it. But at least she knows that she can do it :D! :D:D:D:D
I am so glad she stuck with it and didnt give up. People really have no clue how long that jump can take, and you hear alot of.. well she is working on it, she is cheating it ect and then they give up before they really get the jump.Kudos to her for sticking with it and hanging in there.:bow:
I will tell you since it took my dd a long time for hers, she really hasnt lost it since she started landing it for real.Hopefully your daugher will be the same.:bow::bow::bow:

slusher
09-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Level? Pre-Juv & Canskate 2

I'm not going to quote your entire post but are you trying to say that your child in Canskate stage 2 is doing a waltz jump and is in private lessons? Are you sure you've got the right badge level or did you mean a Canskate II type session (badges 4,5,6).

My badge 2 Canskaters are learning forward glides on one foot and backwards step/gliding so I'm kinda confused.

RoaringSkates
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Level? Basic 1, moving into Basic 2 soon

Competitive or Test track? She's only four, so neither yet

Latest accomplishment? She taught herself to spin last week, with mostly correct technique. I was impressed. Not that I'm biased or anything. :roll:

Grade in school? Preschool

Public/Private/Homeschool? Private, as it's a preschool

Lessons per week? 1

Private or group? Group

Hours per week of skating? 1 or 1.5

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? I drive. We skate the public session together after her group lesson

Challenges? She's four. :lol:

FigureSk8Dad
09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
good luck at her comp!

It's back! She landed her axel 59 times today!:D:D:D Wow, what a long month it has been. She even managed to get in a few axel combinations. My dd and I are so excited we'll probably fall asleep with smiles on our faces tonight.

twokidsskatemom
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
It's back! She landed her axel 59 times today!:D:D:D Wow, what a long month it has been. She even managed to get in a few axel combinations. My dd and I are so excited we'll probably fall asleep with smiles on our faces tonight.

Great news!!

isakswings
09-20-2008, 04:20 PM
in her group. She did a great job! She had a jam-packed program and pulled it off quite well. She is very proud of herself and I think she will be on cloud nine for awhile now!

sk8ermom
09-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Skating son or daughter(s)? Daughter 9 and son just turned 6

Level? prelim/ pre-prelim A (low beginner)

Competitive or Test track? DD is in development program in Canada (so starskate right now, in the states, she skates competitive and she also does interpretive and showcase
DS was canskate last year (skated with one foot) he's now going to try pre-prelim (waltz, sal, toe category)
Latest accomplishment? DD got 3rd at her last competition in starskate prelim-she just went to national showcase in minnesota too.
DS-quickly learning prelim dances and a waltz toe loop
Grade in school? 5/1
Public/Private/Homeschool? public/public french immersion

Lessons per week? 3/2

Private or group? private/Group and private

Hours per week of skating? 5/3

Who drives? Mom, Papa and their coach

Challenges? DD- the dreaded axel, she also has a learning disbaility (processing issues) so skills and dance are a challenge.
DS-now that he has figured out how to use two feet there is no stopping him

FigureSk8Dad
10-19-2008, 07:56 PM
... and she landed them! :D DD skated her first competition at ISI level FS5 this weekend and landed both the axels in her technical program. The first was an axel, loop, toe-loop combination and the second was a lone axel near the end of her program. Her coach and I are so proud of her. I don't think I took a breath at all during that program. DD is elated and hopefully she has improved her confidence. As some may remember, she had lost her axel for about a month. Even after getting it back, she worries tremendously about landing them and jumps for joy everytime she sticks them.

isakswings
10-20-2008, 12:25 AM
... and she landed them! :D DD skated her first competition at ISI level FS5 this weekend and landed both the axels in her technical program. The first was an axel, loop, toe-loop combination and the second was a lone axel near the end of her program. Her coach and I are so proud of her. I don't think I took a breath at all during that program. DD is elated and hopefully she has improved her confidence. As some may remember, she had lost her axel for about a month. Even after getting it back, she worries tremendously about landing them and jumps for joy everytime she sticks them.

WTG!!! I'm glad she did so well! DD's next comp is in bout 3 weeks and she will be skating to a new program. Thankfully we can keep this program through the end of January. We're thinking of adding in a artistic number in January and ow I am thinking of waiting until next season to do it! Honestly, it would be nice to not work on a new program and to let her skate and practice the existing program for a bit. :-) Anyway, congrats to your dd!

FigureSk8Dad
01-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Well, I've been holding back for a couple of weeks, but it looks like my DD is finally starting to get her 2sal and 2toe-loop. She's hitting them about 50% of the time. Sometimes she gets on a run and can do a dozen or so in a row without falling. She even hit a 2t-2t combo half a dozen times.

Here's video
Landing a couple of doubles!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyS4NrjRBzM)

BuggieMom
01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Wanted to update since it had been a year since I posted this...

Level? Preliminary FS, Juvinile MIF
Now, PJuv/Juv FS, Intermediate MIF

Latest accomplishment? A consistant double sal Has also landed a double loop and double flip
Has landed all doubles up to Lutz, and is getting close to a percentage where I would say "consistant", working on the technique and rotation, double-double combo....you name it 2toe 2toe, 2lutz 2toe, 2toe 2loop

Grade in school? 5th (10yo) 6th (11yo)

Public/Private/Homeschool? Homeschool

Lessons per week? 3 FS, 1 MIF, 1 off-ice, ballet again soon

4-20 minute lessons, 1 MIF lesson, 1 dance lesson, 2 ballet classes, one off ice class

Private or group? Privates..I wish there was a group class for her level

Hours per week of skating? 10, give or take (same)

Who drives? Mom, Dad, carpool? Mom 6+ hours a week to our home rink

Challenges? Double toes. Both she and coach hate toe loops, so she will probably land a double Axel before her first double toe!

2toe has been mastered, and she is working onand off on 2 Axel. Her challenge is speed and polish

sk8ryellow
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Daughter (Francesca, AKA Fran
Level?
Novice Moves Intermediate Free
Both
Latest accomplishment?
Landed Double Flip
Grade in school?
Sophmore
Public
Lessons per week?
Private or group?
Private of course
Carpool
Challenges?
IDK!

sk8ryellow
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I've been holding back for a couple of weeks, but it looks like my DD is finally starting to get her 2sal and 2toe-loop. She's hitting them about 50% of the time. Sometimes she gets on a run and can do a dozen or so in a row without falling. She even hit a 2t-2t combo half a dozen times.

Here's video
Landing a couple of doubles!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyS4NrjRBzM)

Your daughter is a very good skater. After a little more height which comes with practice she will be amazing!

slusher
01-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I had a skater in learn to skate that's gone to private lessons and did a couple of competitions this year. She's got a good coach, but one that emphasizes polish over technique which the girls love of course, and they get to do their first competition pretty quickly coming out of learn to skate. She can do toe loop and salchow, a crouchy sit spin and a one rev camel and there's lots of toepicking. I can't complain because I don't coach her but I've always had an interest because she was a bouncy girl in learn to skate and I thought she had potential.

So she won a local competition, you know the type, Joe Schmoe memorial invitational, and her dad was so proud that he put her daughter's video on Youtube.

Bad, bad mistake. He's gotten lots of comments, none of them have been really malicious, and he's erased everything but the "oh she's so pretty" but they've pointed out the toepicking, the cheats, really all the stuff that skaters in their first year of recreational skating would have and would be expected at that level which is why she won, because IMHO, she presented really well and had a couple of decent elements somewhat better than the rest of the flight.

But, oh heck, he's taken the comments back to the coach, and some of it got back to me, (he printed them off) about how dare people say that about his precious, she has a medal, and (to my astonishment) she's passed several tests. The coach is on the spot now and scrambling. The dad doesn't understand the judging system, on that day, she was better than X number of other kids. It's been an education, another reason why I enjoy teaching group learn to skate ;)

I said, if's he dumb enough to put in on youtube, he deserves the comments, but I think he was looking to brag because of the medal, and got way more than he bargained for.

The kid is eight. I didn't think she should be on youtube anyways. Would anyone here put their kids up on Youtube?

FigureSk8Dad
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I said, if's he dumb enough to put in on youtube, he deserves the comments, but I think he was looking to brag because of the medal, and got way more than he bargained for.

The kid is eight. I didn't think she should be on youtube anyways. Would anyone here put their kids up on Youtube?

Well, gee, I must be dumb like the parent you are referencing. My dd is 8 years old and yes, I put her on Youtube. I have friends and family, not all in the same country let alone same town, that enjoy the convenience Youtube offers for them to keep up with her progress. Is this so bad? I don't think so. The parent you are referring to has the option of turning off the comments feature if he does not like getting constructive criticism. That's his choice. If he thinks he should run to coach with every comment, well that is foolishness. My dd has no access to the computer and therfore doesn't see the comments she receives, be them good or bad. Not even the wonderful comment that told me she needs to get a smaller jacket.

Some people can make cruel or unneccessary comments on Youtube. I have found for the most part that those that visit and comment on my dd's videos are other skaters that offer encouragement, advice or praise. What's so wrong with that?

cazzie
01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm quite impressed by my 6 year old son. He's working on his salchow and starting to achieve some not too terrible one foot spins with reasonable entry and exit. Backward crossovers looking so much better and he no longer crosses his feet the wrong way! He has also stopped sucking his thumb while skating which is probably the biggest achievement of the lot!

He hasn't got the best concentration span in the world and isn't the most advanced child you'd ever meet - but - for him - this is a real achievement.

Coaches do think he really only learns in a small group and at some point i'll have to sort out some 1 to 1's for him - but - will wait until he is 6 1/2 (may/june).

slusher
01-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, gee, I must be dumb like the parent you are referencing.

You're not the parent but the person who posted the video is easily identifiable, thus also his daughter and there are creeps in this world. So, first of all, it's not really appropriate to be putting your kids out on the entire internet. So yes, I'd question the appropriateness of those type of decisions.

There is the comment feature, and it is possible to set privacy on youtube to a select group of viewers. Or use facebook.

The comments were honest and truthful and reflected the level of skating. She's a first year skater. It's one thing to turn off comments, but it's a second thing to take internet comments and take your coach to pieces.

momof3chicks
02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Well, gee, I must be dumb like the parent you are referencing. My dd is 8 years old and yes, I put her on Youtube. I have friends and family, not all in the same country let alone same town, that enjoy the convenience Youtube offers for them to keep up with her progress. Is this so bad? I don't think so. The parent you are referring to has the option of turning off the comments feature if he does not like getting constructive criticism. That's his choice. If he thinks he should run to coach with every comment, well that is foolishness. My dd has no access to the computer and therfore doesn't see the comments she receives, be them good or bad. Not even the wonderful comment that told me she needs to get a smaller jacket.

Some people can make cruel or unneccessary comments on Youtube. I have found for the most part that those that visit and comment on my dd's videos are other skaters that offer encouragement, advice or praise. What's so wrong with that?

Me too I guess, my 7 yo was on Youtube, for the same reasons.

sk8tmum
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
My kids would lop my head off and serve it to the dog if I put them on YouTube - !!!! but, that's their choice, and I respect it. We just mail DVDs to parents and relatives.

Anyways. A new Twist on the Brag thing.

My DD doesn't land huge jumps easily. She doesn't have any doubles, yet, although she's killing herself trying. She doesn't win competitions (much), or have anyone amazed at her incredible skating.

What she does have is more guts and courage than any kid I know. She has coordination difficulties, but, she keeps working and working every day to achieve what she can. She puts up with the teasing from other kids who can fly through dances and freeskate, and the misery of finishing regularly at the back of the pack. She's never asked to be "held back" but instead has forged forwards to test levels which she knows are a challenge and where she's going to be challenged to keep up. She laughs at herself and keeps going, and if she cries, it's in the privacy of her own room. She's never quit, even as her age-relevant peers leave her behind.

She's an inspiration, I've been told, to a lot of other kids who struggle. And, she coaches the little kids now, and has endless patience for the kid who just can't get it as fast as the other kids, and is quick to give a positive message.

I've had many parents come to me and tell me how impressed they are with her courage and tenacity. Her coach considers her to be one of her most positive and focussed students, and is proud to put her on the ice and congratulate her every achievement.

I am as proud of her fought for singles as I am for my son's doubles and axels and spins. I am proud of her every time she steps on the ice knowing that she's going to have to work harder than the other kids to get her skills together. She's learned life lessons that she is applying now, in the real world.

FigureSk8Dad
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
...She's an inspiration, I've been told, to a lot of other kids who struggle. And, she coaches the little kids now, and has endless patience for the kid who just can't get it as fast as the other kids, and is quick to give a positive message.

I've had many parents come to me and tell me how impressed they are with her courage and tenacity. Her coach considers her to be one of her most positive and focussed students, and is proud to put her on the ice and congratulate her every achievement.

I am as proud of her fought for singles as I am for my son's doubles and axels and spins. I am proud of her every time she steps on the ice knowing that she's going to have to work harder than the other kids to get her skills together. She's learned life lessons that she is applying now, in the real world.

And this is indeed, something to brag about! Kudos to you and your daughter!

sk8ryellow
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
At my rink they are starting a skater of the month thing and it is to reward the skaters that help, are positive, and a good influence on others. I think it will encourage skaters to be nice.