View Full Version : Deconstruct & Reconstruct my Salchow

SkatingOnClouds
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Does it ever end? :roll:

Last lesson my coach & I finally figured out what is wrong with my salchow. I've learned them 20+ years ago and didn't have much trouble getting them back. I always knew there was something not quite right, now I know what it is.

I have been bending my skating leg way too early - as I sweep my free leg from behind. This has resulted in a flat of edge on the tracing as I had to lean my body away from the free leg to bring it through with a bent skating leg, and of course no power left to actually jump very high afterwards. I really noticed the lack of lift when doing 1/2 salchows.

I now understand that the skating knee shouldn't start to bend until the free leg is coming past it. Coach also wants me to turn more forwards before take-off. So the timing is completely different.

I am trying very hard, but still getting the flat on the entry edge, and struggling to get the timing of the knee bend right. I can stand at the barrier or home and do it, but that hasn't translated to improvement when moving yet.

Any tips on how to go about changing such a major timing fault, or even on how to go about deconstructing such an ingrained habit and rebuilding a new one?

doubletoe
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Hmm. . . On both my single and double salchow (when I land it, that is), I bend the skating leg and bring the free leg through at the same time. Both happen right before I jump. But I think I start to bring the free leg through slightly before the deep bend, so that my free leg and arm are squared--to the side of me--by the time I bend the knee. I am completely dependent on "cue words" whenever I need to create new habits, and here are the cue words that give me the right timing for the salchow takeoff:

- One-Two-Three (LFO entrance edge of 3-turn held for a count of 3)
- Back-Square-Down-UP! (LBI takeoff edge - held for count of 3, then UP!)

On the takeoff edge (the 3-turn exit edge) I first think "back", meaning my right arm and leg are back. Then I think, "square," meaning I let the right shoulder and hip come square with my left side so the right arm and leg are at 3:00. Then I think, "Down" and I bend the knee deeply and even more importantly, bend my *ankle*. I feel like the inside ankle of my takeoff foot presses down toward the ice, dropping into the circle. This ankle bend just before the jump not only gives good spring to the jump, but it tightens the circle of the takeoff edge to give it that C curve on the takeoff. Then I just think, UP! Make sure to point the toes of your takeoff foot as you take off so that you roll up onto the toepick and actually take off from the toepick. This will give you spring and keep you from slipping off the takeoff edge.

Although this is not a pretty double salchow, it's the only salchow video I have uploaded. If you watch it while saying, "One-two-three, Back-square-down-up!" you might see what I mean about the timing of the free leg, shoulder and knee/ankle bend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nQWz0KLVI8

SkatingOnClouds
11-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Thanks Doubletoe, I will try that next time.

Can I ask about how wide the sweep of the free leg should be, cos that's what seems to make my entry edge have that flat. How wide should the free leg swing around prior to passing the skating leg?

doubletoe
11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks Doubletoe, I will try that next time.

Can I ask about how wide the sweep of the free leg should be, cos that's what seems to make my entry edge have that flat. How wide should the free leg swing around prior to passing the skating leg?

Hmm. . . If you sweep too wide, it could pull your right hip down too much and you won't stay over the skating hip for your takeoff. Focus on staying over that left hip and that should automatically keep the right leg closer as you pass it from back to front. If you are swinging it too wide, think of keeping the feet shoulder width apart (although the reality is that the free foot will probably extend a little past your shoulder as you bring it around).

vesperholly
12-01-2007, 03:17 AM
I had issues with free leg swing positions for my double sal. What helped me was to think of tracing the right half of a small circle CCW with my free leg, and to keep the free leg bent.